ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Husker QB Room: Very Young and Very Crowded

Current QB roster going into 2024, with no in/out transfers. Very young, inexperienced group, even with the soon-to-be juniors. Would love to see Chubba step up and battle for the position, and if he doesn't win the job, hope he can be an incredible mentor for DK and DR.

My thoughts in alpha order:

Haarberg, JR: Very good, tough football player. Find him a position in the offense. Run some triple option/RPO with him. Get him some ball as a slot receiver.
Kaelin, FR: Definite Redshirt. Get in weight room and keep your eyes and ears open.
Longval: SOPH: Sioux City, Iowa kid that ended up at Iowa Western CC due to injuries his senior year. Hope he can compete for a position. He made the travel squad most Saturday's this year, so he is a gamer.
Purdy, JR: Maybe starter, but at least #1 backup. If he is outclassed by D.R., et us some of that Brock Purdy football acumen in Lincoln!!! Couple visit by big bro can't hurt.
Raiola, FR: Starter on day 1? I don't know about that. Needs good WRs and TEs to make him good, and an OC/QB coach to make him great!
Woche, SOPH: IMG Academy and Ol' Miss transfer. Played high school football in Austin, Texas. ???
Haarberg would be a very effective possession receiver, not a TE. He should move full time to WR.

Dylan isn't gonna start day 1 as There is a huge difference between HS and this beast of a conference not to mention the rest of P5. My guess is if Casey's back in the fold, Dylan redshirts. You can't clump AM into this as Tristan Gebbia took his ball and left like a lil biotch the week of the 1st game. Logan wasn't even healed and ready to go until shortly before fall camp and was nowhere ready and McCaffrey was a bust at QB. Then there was Vedral which lost most of the year as UCF wouldn't release him to play so we were depleted. This room has way more experienced depth than that 2018 room and can afford to RS Dylan.
I doubt Raiola redshirts BUT I don’t disagree about starting a true freshman. Ideally you would like to work him in as the season progresses. We’ll see I guess. I hope we don’t lose Purdy. Haarberg I strongly doubt would go anywhere. I think Rhule HAS to let the starter competition go through the first game.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
I doubt Raiola redshirts BUT I don’t disagree about starting a true freshman. Ideally you would like to work him in as the season progresses. We’ll see I guess. I hope we don’t lose Purdy. Haarberg I strongly doubt would go anywhere. I think Rhule HAS to let the starter competition go through the first game.
What competition? I mean sure, Rhule will state it as such. But it's there really any competition between DR and Chubba? CT? 🧐

Dylan isn't gonna start day 1 as There is a huge difference between HS and this beast of a conference not to mention the rest of P5. My guess is if Casey's back in the fold, Dylan redshirts. You can't clump AM into this as Tristan Gebbia took his ball and left like a lil biotch the week of the 1st game. Logan wasn't even healed and ready to go until shortly before fall camp and was nowhere ready and McCaffrey was a bust at QB. Then there was Vedral which lost most of the year as UCF wouldn't release him to play so we were depleted. This room has way more experienced depth than that 2018 room and can afford to RS Dylan.
With the current lineup of QBs, Raiola starts day 1. Even if Thompson joins the squad, 6 months removed from ACL surgery, can he even get reps in the spring? Raiola will have that many more reps in this offense.

This isn't about having the depth to be able to redshirt Raiola though.

What competition? I mean sure, Rhule will state it as such. But it's there really any competition between DR and Chubba? CT? 🧐
We really need to do everything we can to keep a somewhat experienced Qb on the team. I don’t think rolling with just Haarberg and Longval as the backups is a smart thing. If Raiola got hurt we would be completely screwed.

Does Top kong approve of this move?
Haarberg could start or play regularly at probably 4 different positions (X, Z, TE, Jack), and will likely contribute while also taking backup reps at QB.

I agree with those who believe purdy will leave.

the fact there are serious posters wanting to see casey thompson play a single snap over the top incoming QB in the country makes me laugh out loud

talk about delusional

Rhule guaranteed Sims a starting job last offseason. you honestly don't think he did the same for a guy of DR's caliber?

LMAO

Last edited:
Raiola: We will have a solid veteran OL and RB corps and the receivers will be deeper and more experienced. Should not redshirt and should be given every opportunity to win the starting job day 1. He is the game changing QB recruit that we haven't had since T Frazier.

Kaelin: If he comes in ready to go I wouldn't necessarily push him to redshirt but I think we'd all like to have more years with him. Probably better for his development to RS. To me this kid is a lot like the Berringer to Raiola's Frazier. We can and will win with both running the offense.

Chubba: I don't quite get the attitude toward Purdy by certain posters but he was visibly the best QB on the roster last year and played as well against Iowa as JJ McCarthy. He should be the number 1 going into the spring. Let the spring play itself out. If he gets beat out and transfers that is how it goes. But give him every opportunity to win it and keep it.

Haarberg: Just isn't a QB. He throws about as well as most running backs on trick plays. He is a lot like Dylan McCaffrey. Moving him to another position will give him the opportunity to excel. Unlike McCaffrey I can see him sticking around.
We could use him at TE, WR, LB, or even FB.

Casey Thompson: I thought he was a gamer and one of the better players in 2022. The thing is he transferred out and with the room as full as it is I don't know where to fit him. We welcome him onto the roster with no guarantees. He could easily be thinking along the lines of a guy that intends to be a coach in the future, or a guy that wants the starting job. Not sure.

Woche and Longval: Guys that will either transfer out or only come in in blowout wins.

There is no way in hell that DR isn't our starting QB for the first game. We would be freaking idiots to not play him now. Also, this stuff with Casey, what the hell? You can't just transfer around an unlimited number of times and we've moved on from him. I'll be very disappointed in Rhule if we took him back, even if that's possible.

Haarberg could start or play regularly at probably 4 different positions (X, Z, TE, Jack), and will likely contribute while also taking backup reps at QB.

I agree with those who believe purdy will leave.

the fact there are serious posters wanting to see casey thompson play a single snap over the top incoming QB in the country makes me laugh out loud

talk about delusional

Rhule guaranteed Sims a starting job last offseason. you honestly don't think he did the same for a guy of DR's caliber?

LMAO
I’m not the one claiming Raiola isn’t starting…
He didn’t come here not to start..

Can’t help what others think..

Reactions: king_kong_
There is no way in hell that DR isn't our starting QB for the first game. We would be freaking idiots to not play him now. Also, this stuff with Casey, what the hell? You can't just transfer around an unlimited number of times and we've moved on from him. I'll be very disappointed in Rhule if we took him back, even if that's possible.
Actually, there is currently a temporary restraining order by federal courts that allow multiple transfers without penalty. Courts got involved and id assume several players transfering a second time whole this window is open.

Chubba: I don't quite get the attitude toward Purdy by certain posters but he was visibly the best QB on the roster last year and played as well against Iowa as JJ McCarthy. He should be the number 1 going into the spring. Let the spring play itself out. If he gets beat out and transfers that is how it goes. But give him every opportunity to win it and keep it.
here are the results of chubba's last play from scrimmage in all 3 games he played this year, all 1-score losses:

INT
INT
INT

I'm sure it wasn't his fault

putting purdy's name in the same novel as JJ McCarthy's is ridiculous, much less the same paragraph

Purdy will be out. HH can go back to H Back, if he wants to play QB, try Doane or NWU.
We'll need Purdy to stay or we will be relying on two true freshman. If one gets hurt there will be no depth. We will also lose the freedom to redshirt Kaelin. We may lose Purdy but I would not push him out and I'd have him number one going into the spring. Let the other beat him out for the job, if that happens.
HH is a good athlete. Just not a QB. We can use him at LB, TE, WR, or FB.

Reactions: dinglefritz
here are the results of chubba's last play from scrimmage in all 3 games he played this year, all 1-score losses:

INT
INT
INT

I'm sure it wasn't his fault

putting purdy's name in the same novel as JJ McCarthy's is ridiculous, much less the same paragraph
I get it. You love HH and hate Purdy. My eyes have told a different story. I've seen one guy make a throw against Iowa that HH cannot. If HH started that game I have no problem saying we are shut out.

Why would Purdy stay? To compete with the #1 qb in the class? He's been in college a while but doesn't actually have that much game experience. 3 years, 3 coaching staffs. Never been a game 1 starter. What are the odds he beats out DR?

You serious? If DR had any intention at all of a redshirt McCord would be N right now as the starting qb next year for Nebraska.

Why would Purdy stay? To compete with the #1 qb in the class? He's been in college a while but doesn't actually have that much game experience. 3 years, 3 coaching staffs. Never been a game 1 starter. What are the odds he beats out DR?
That’s the issue. We need him but no doubt he’ll weigh his options. The thing he has to consider though is that we’ve needed 3 QBs to play every year for forever

That’s the issue. We need him but no doubt he’ll weigh his options. The thing he has to consider though is that we’ve needed 3 QBs to play every year for forever
There is ideal and there is reality. Reality is taking the #1 qb in the class and another 4 star means we will scare off most other qb's. Competing for the top backup isn't going to happen with Purdy. He needs to find a less competitive qb room.

There is ideal and there is reality. Reality is taking the #1 qb in the class and another 4 star means we will scare off most other qb's. Competing for the top backup isn't going to happen with Purdy. He needs to find a less competitive qb room.
the hot tub business will suit him well

he's 22 years old and has never won a single game he's started in college (0-5).

he's thrown more INTs than TDs (7:6). he completed a lower percent of passes than Sims last year. he committed 2 of the most egregious turnovers I can remember against maryland and iowa to lose games.

in 4 starts at NU, here are the point totals his offense has produced: 0, 10, 17, 10.

we need roster spots a lot more than we need him.

Last edited:
I get it. You love HH and hate Purdy. My eyes have told a different story. I've seen one guy make a throw against Iowa that HH cannot. If HH started that game I have no problem saying we are shut out.
They are both quite awful. Slow blinkers that couldn’t process what was in front of them. HH is a better runner in the sense that he has straight line speed, but both have very stiff hips as runners and can’t make people miss. As throwers, woof, they are both pretty bad at throwing the ball with any touch or accuracy. Purdy won’t matter, but if HH is taking snaps at QB at any point again, something has gone catastrophically wrong, because he just isn’t D1 QB material. The fact that we won 5 games with the QB room we had is quite a testament to how strong our defense and offensive playcalling truly was.

Reactions: Badger Pete
Is he even eligible for a 7th season? And he already did the grad transfer thing once. Can you transfer again and be immediately eligible?
Casey has another year and after this last court case it sounds like the transfer door is wide open.

I think Chubba could be a great clip-board guy and decent back up, especially with access to big bro's phone. If Huskers don't have great back up, don't think for a minute that DC's in BIG aren't going to go DR all day long, including going after a lower leg.

Sad but true. Welcome to the Big Ten.

Hey man, I’m sorry about how things went with you and Kong, but HH sucking ass doesn’t make Chubba good.
A guy who could have made Chubba and HH expendable was Jarrett Synek IMO. That kid can spin it. On scholarship at South Dakota now. He would have been a nice NIL walk on backup. I forgot that he played a drive against Michigan in 2022.

Reactions: Lars72
Dylan isn't gonna start day 1 as There is a huge difference between HS and this beast of a conference not to mention the rest of P5. My guess is if Casey's back in the fold, Dylan redshirts.
Yeah, well none of that is going to happen. First of all, day one is a home game against UTEP and Conference USA is not a beast of a conference. Second, did you notice that Rhule is willing to play true freshmen? But the main reason is this...
How many five star QBs sign with a program with the worst QB play in the nation and then sit out a year to redshirt? The answer is none. Zero. Nada. Dylan Raiola is not coming here to ride the bench and it's silly to think that a rehabbing transfer from Florida Atlantic is going to beat his ass out.

The sheer anticipation and exuberance Memorial Stadium is gonna have to see this kid is gonna be like waiting for a dynamite fuse burn. If someone else starts

Reactions: king_kong_
Raiola is going to start. Because he will be the best option, by far. He is far more skilled than everyone listed. And he is already physically bigger than the rest; he will be fine there. Get serious.

Reactions: BleedRed78
That ship sailed early last week. My source in Lincoln says the staff was very disappointed that he was leaving.
what'd they think was going to happen?

they jerked the kid around all year, had him running the scout team, threw him to the wolves and then went on a barnstorming tour to replace him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT