ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Husker QB Room: Very Young and Very Crowded

Badger Pete

Walk On
Dec 22, 2013
Current QB roster going into 2024, with no in/out transfers. Very young, inexperienced group, even with the soon-to-be juniors. Would love to see Chubba step up and battle for the position, and if he doesn't win the job, hope he can be an incredible mentor for DK and DR.

My thoughts in alpha order:

Haarberg, JR: Very good, tough football player. Find him a position in the offense. Run some triple option/RPO with him. Get him some ball as a slot receiver.
Kaelin, FR: Definite Redshirt. Get in weight room and keep your eyes and ears open.
Longval: SOPH: Sioux City, Iowa kid that ended up at Iowa Western CC due to injuries his senior year. Hope he can compete for a position. He made the travel squad most Saturday's this year, so he is a gamer.
Purdy, JR: Maybe starter, but at least #1 backup. If he is outclassed by D.R., et us some of that Brock Purdy football acumen in Lincoln!!! Couple visit by big bro can't hurt.
Raiola, FR: Starter on day 1? I don't know about that. Needs good WRs and TEs to make him good, and an OC/QB coach to make him great!
Woche, SOPH: IMG Academy and Ol' Miss transfer. Played high school football in Austin, Texas. ???

Last edited:
Current QB roster going into 2024, with no in/out transfers. Very young, inexperienced group, even with the soon-to-be juniors. Would love to see Chubba step up and battle for the position, and if he doesn't win the job, hope he can be an incredible mentor for DK and DR.

Haarberg, JR: Very good, tough football player. Find him a position in the offense. Run some triple option/RPO with him. Get him some ball as a slot receiver.
Kailen, FR: Definite Redshirt. Get in weight room and keep your eyes and ears open.
Longval: SOPH: Sioux City, Iowa kid that ended up at Iowa Western CC due to injuries his senior year. Hope he can compete for a position. He made the travel squad most Saturday's this year, so he is a gamer.
Purdy, JR: Maybe starter, but at least #1 backup. If he is outclassed by D.R., et us some of that Brock Purdy football acumen in Lincoln!!! Couple visit by big bro can't hurt.
Raiola, FR: Starter on day 1? I don't know about that. Needs good WRs and TEs to make him good, and an OC/QB coach to make him great!
Woche, SOPH: IMG Academy and Ol' Miss transfer. Played high school football in Austin, Texas. ???
Chubba won’t be around. rumor is Casey Thompson wants back in .

Raiola starting next two years, Kaelin the 3 years after unless he gets beat out by that time. Other than injuries, it doesn't really matter after that.
Yeah I think it’s already stated without being stated that DR is a day 1 starter. Do not believe he committed here to redshirt or sit on the bench and be “developed”. We promised him more than just NIL money to flip his commitment.

Yeah I think it’s already stated without being stated that DR is a day 1 starter. Do not believe he committed here to redshirt or sit on the bench and be “developed”. We promised him more than just NIL money to flip his commitment.
If CT comes here I could see him starting the first 2 games or so just for levity. By all accounts Dylan will pick it up extremely quick.

I can't believe I haven't seen this somewhere yet but I'm assuming Raiola will be participating in the Spring?

Reactions: Laner2

Kaelin, FR: Definite Redshirt. Get in weight room and keep your eyes and ears open.
The walk on Woche is NOT a factor and will never play . Longval is a walk on who could play if we get decimated by injuries. Haarberg will probably play more receiver than QB. It’s not really crowded at all

To me it’s not the youth of the QB as much as the coaching and team around them. That is very much a big concern.

Dylan isn't gonna start day 1 as There is a huge difference between HS and this beast of a conference not to mention the rest of P5. My guess is if Casey's back in the fold, Dylan redshirts. You can't clump AM into this as Tristan Gebbia took his ball and left like a lil biotch the week of the 1st game. Logan wasn't even healed and ready to go until shortly before fall camp and was nowhere ready and McCaffrey was a bust at QB. Then there was Vedral which lost most of the year as UCF wouldn't release him to play so we were depleted. This room has way more experienced depth than that 2018 room and can afford to RS Dylan.

Last edited:
Dylan isn't gonna start day 1 as There is a huge difference between HS and this beast of a conference not to mention the rest of P5. My guess is if Casey's back in the fold, Dylan redshirts. You can't clump AM into this as Tristan Gebbia took his ball and left like a lil biotch the week of the 1st game. Logan wasn't even healed and ready to go until shortly before fall camp and was nowhere ready and McCaffrey was a bust at QB. Then there was Vedral which lost most of the year as UCF wouldn't release him to play so we were depleted. This room has way more experienced depth than that 2018 room and can afford to RS Dylan.
Absolutely no way Dylan redshirts.

What experience does this room have ?

What experience does this room have ?
Haarberg started most of the year, Chubba, and if CT is back he has 4 years of starting experience. There wasn't ANYONE in that 2018 room that had an ounce of starting experience.

Haarberg started most of the year, Chubba, and if CT is back he has 4 years of starting experience. There wasn't ANYONE in that 2018 room that had an ounce of starting experience.
Chubba isn’t coming back . Hopefully Casey’s rumor is true. If not Dylan is the guy from day 1 . HH is likely in another position group.

M

Reactions: Wasker77
Yeah, but the reason Gebbia left is because Adrian was named the starter as a true frosh. But I agree that it was weak for TG to bounce that late in the game.

Ironically, Adrian’s best season was as a freshman. And Dylan will have a better team around him.

Yeah, but the reason Gebbia left is because Adrian was named the starter as a true frosh. But I agree that it was weak for TG to bounce that late in the game.

Ironically, Adrian’s best season was as a freshman. And Dylan will have a better team around him.
Actually that 2018 OL was better than this current one Morgan 1000+ yards receiving and Ziggy 1000+ Yards rushing and Speilman had almost 1000 yards receiving but this one is growing and improving. That was the reason as Gebbia was a lil biotch because he lost the QB battle and was the reason he took his ball and left which fk'd us as we coulda used him after Martinez went down against Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavalot and Frozone
I really wanna see our edge guys shove Shedar's Rolex where the sun don't shine.
Colorado looks to be improving too. I expect a really good game in that one. I hate the circus going on but they did seem ro address O line and D end. If we didnt turn it over like it was Jeff Simms job that game looks different.

The walk on Woche is NOT a factor and will never play . Longval is a walk on who could play if we get decimated by injuries. Haarberg will probably play more receiver than QB. It’s not really crowded at all
Chubba will be gone. He can go to a place like Incarnate Ward or UTSA and chuck the ball around but he cannot win you a big ten game.

Reactions: Wasker77

Omg. I can’t believe some of you still blame Gebbia for leaving. Frost lied to him from day 1 saying there was going to be an open competition. It was never open, multiple observers and members of the team thought Gebbia outplayed Martinez during the summer and fall camp.

Secondly, Nebraska dropped the ball on Vedral and it had nothing to do with UCF. That was just the excuse given by some in Nebraska. The fact is Nebraska didn’t file the waiver paperwork to get him eligible until after Gebbia left.

So while the folks in the Nebraska Admin dept were not doing their job with the waiver process, Frost was stringing Gebbia along with the faux competition until the week classes started, when he ( Frost) thought the window to transfer was closed. Gebbia found a loophole of sorts, and transferred to a school on the quarters schedule, that hadn’t started classes yet and gave Frost the middle finger. Had they done what needed to be done with Vedral’s waiver process over the summer, no one would have cared that Gebbia left.

Omg. I can’t believe some of you still blame Gebbia for leaving. Frost lied to him from day 1 saying there was going to be an open competition. It was never open, multiple observers and members of the team thought Gebbia outplayed Martinez during the summer and fall camp.

Secondly, Nebraska dropped the ball on Vedral and it had nothing to do with UCF. That was just the excuse given by some in Nebraska. The fact is Nebraska didn’t file the waiver paperwork to get him eligible until after Gebbia left.

So while the folks in the Nebraska Admin dept were not doing their job with the waiver process, Frost was stringing Gebbia along with the faux competition until the week classes started, when he ( Frost) thought the window to transfer was closed. Gebbia found a loophole of sorts, and transferred to a school on the quarters schedule, that hadn’t started classes yet and gave Frost the middle finger. Had they done what needed to be done with Vedral’s waiver process over the summer, no one would have cared that Gebbia left.
First time I’m hearing most of this, but since it’s all based on Frost’s negligence, I’m not shocked.

I didn’t like the timing of when Gebbia left, at all. But I’ve always said—then and now—that he should have been named the starter in 2018, at least in the very beginning of the season. It would have kept him from bolting and probably would have been better for Adrian’s long term development instead of throwing him directly to the wolves in year one.

But everyone knew that wasn’t a real competition. Frost had “his guy” in AMart; no way was he going to ride the coattails of a Mike Riley recruit. Just that simple.

So while the folks in the Nebraska Admin dept were not doing their job with the waiver process, Frost was stringing Gebbia along with the faux competition until the week classes started, when he ( Frost) thought the window to transfer was closed. Gebbia found a loophole of sorts, and transferred to a school on the quarters schedule, that hadn’t started classes yet and gave Frost the middle finger. Had they done what needed to be done with Vedral’s waiver process over the summer, no one would have cared that Gebbia.

you really think most people actually would know that this is how it went down?

I would love to see them use HH like they do Taysom Hill. Especially on the goal line. On a sidenote, I did not know DR is as big as he is. 6’3” 240

Reactions: BleedRed78
If CT comes here I could see him starting the first 2 games or so just for levity. By all accounts Dylan will pick it up extremely quick.

CT wouldnt even go through spring practice with his knee injury (I believe)...he would be here to be in the room, emergency late game guy if needed, slides into GA role the following year

Just my take

Last edited:
I would love to see them use HH like they do Taysom Hill. Especially on the goal line. On a sidenote, I did not know DR is as big as he is. 6’3” 240
He’s 240#? If so, he carries it well. I thought I saw somewhere that he was around 220.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT