ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost

I think if we are going to find a great head coach it is going to involve some risk - Urban Meyer after 2 years of coaching at Bowling Green would have taken the Nebraska job if offered I believe but after 3 or 4 years of high level success he was on everyones radar and Nebraska was no longer a player.

for the record we would have gone ape sh*t initially had we hired the head coach from Bowling Green to take over the program
Urban wasn't down with canning Solich. A quote: "We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is."

"Nebraska should never be a place where coaches learn on the job"
- a popular opinion amongst the masses here during the Peking tenure.

What would make Scott Frost want to come back?? Try looking at this from an outsider's view (I know it is super hard to do that for some people). "Nebraska is a place that produces about as much D1 talent in 100 miles than is in some specific high schools within 15 minutes from UCF's . Take that job and by year 3, if your not competing with Ohio State, you will be fired.

If I am Scott Frost, I stay and build something in Orlando and wait for the perfect opportunity. There is a reason he picked Stanford over Nebraska to begin with. I bet he saw the boos directed towards Riley and Tanner Lee and it reminded him of something very familiar. He gets the fish bowl here and that might be a negative.

And what happens if by some crazy slim chance, he isn't the Husker football Jesus? Awkward for the rest of your life that your alma mater fired you.

Now there are Scott Frost "haters"??? Sheesh
Does that make you a Riley hater?

Its funny you said that because some.....not all of the people that don't think they are Frost Haters, think there are Riley haters out there under the same presumptions.

Reactions: oldjar07
Its funny you said that because some.....not all of the people that don't think they are Frost Haters, think there are Riley haters out there under the same presumptions.

I guess the millennials have a different definition of hate

Urban wasn't down with canning Solich. A quote: "We actually were contacted by a third party. Not directly. I remember thinking about it. I had such great respect for Solich — he's an Ohio guy who's a good friend of mine — and I didn't agree with everything that went down. He won 10 games that year, right? That was alarming to me. I'm a coach, and whenever I see that happening to a coach, I think there's got to be something behind Door No. 1 to fire him after he won 10 games. I remember having great respect for the school but being concerned about what happened — and why it happened. If 10 games isn't good enough, I'm not sure what is."

That was after firing Frank after 10 wins. If we fire him the year before (7 losses) Meyer was just done with his 2nd year at Bowling Green. He wasn't going to say no to Nebraksa and take the Utah job.

What would make Scott Frost want to come back?? Try looking at this from an outsider's view (I know it is super hard to do that for some people). "Nebraska is a place that produces about as much D1 talent in 100 miles than is in some specific high schools within 15 minutes from UCF's . Take that job and by year 3, if your not competing with Ohio State, you will be fired.

If I am Scott Frost, I stay and build something in Orlando and wait for the perfect opportunity. There is a reason he picked Stanford over Nebraska to begin with. I bet he saw the boos directed towards Riley and Tanner Lee and it reminded him of something very familiar. He gets the fish bowl here and that might be a negative.

And what happens if by some crazy slim chance, he isn't the Husker football Jesus? Awkward for the rest of your life that your alma mater fired you.
All great points. As I stated last week, I think it's far from a certainty that he comes here if asked anyway. It's something that most of the Scott Frost obsessed people won't even consider. His coming here is treated as a 100% automatic, foregone conclusion-an assumption that is foolish at best and delusional at worst.
Part of my reason for ridiculing the overwrought hype machine for him is that I think the coaching job he has done there is being blown out of proportion to what he's actually accomplished. I am quite sure if he wasn't a former Husker player, most of our fans would look at his record and think he might be a nice possibility with a couple more years experience, or maybe as a backup plan if other better options turned us down, but nobody would be cranking up the hype machine for him like they are now. But part of my reason to fight against the hype machine for him is I think people are getting way ahead of themselves and setting themselves up for major disappointment if he says no. Certainly, I could see him agreeing to come here. But I most definitely could see him turning us down too for a number of different reasons. And at this point, I wouldn't be tremendously disappointed if he did either.

To some people, if you don't believe that Scott Frost is the greatest prospect in coaching right now and you suggest for a moment that he might not be waiting on the edge of his seat to come here, then you are a Scott Frost hater. I call it having a realistic and objective viewpoint on him. I'm certainly not unalterably opposed to maybe eventually hiring him at some point, but I wish people would just dial down all of the hype on him and maybe use some of that enthusiasm to support the coach and team we have now.

All great points. As I stated last week, I think it's far from a certainty that he comes here if asked anyway. It's something that most of the Scott Frost obsessed people won't even consider. His coming here is treated as a 100% automatic, foregone conclusion-an assumption that is foolish at best and delusional at worst.
Part of my reason for ridiculing the overwrought hype machine for him is that I think the coaching job he has done there is being blown out of proportion to what he's actually accomplished. I am quite sure if he wasn't a former Husker player, most of our fans would look at his record and think he might be a nice possibility with a couple more years experience, or maybe as a backup plan if other better options turned us down, but nobody would be cranking up the hype machine for him like they are now. But part of my reason to fight against the hype machine for him is I think people are getting way ahead of themselves and setting themselves up for major disappointment if he says no. Certainly, I could see him agreeing to come here. But I most definitely could see him turning us down too for a number of different reasons. And at this point, I wouldn't be tremendously disappointed if he did either.

To some people, if you don't believe that Scott Frost is the greatest prospect in coaching right now and you suggest for a moment that he might not be waiting on the edge of his seat to come here, then you are a Scott Frost hater. I call it having a realistic and objective viewpoint on him. I'm certainly not unalterably opposed to maybe eventually hiring him at some point, but I wish people would just dial down all of the hype on him and maybe use some of that enthusiasm to support the coach and team we have now.
I suppose I don't understand this point that if he did't go to Nebraska nobody would care. Obviously, that's the point.

Assuming Frost is a good coach for argument's sake, wouldn't it be a plus that he lived here and played here during an era of unprecedented success. It implies that he understands the unique nature of Nebraska football and perhaps has insight into what made it so good despite all of the obvious disadvantages. The fact that he has been mentored by the coach that had all of that success, seems to further imply that Scott Frost would have a better understanding of how to succeed at Nebraska than others.

Obviously, if he is not a good coach, then none of that matters. But, I don't get this idea that some seem to have that him playing at Nebraska is irrelevant.

Exactly.......if he has the program looking that good with inferior talent......what does that say about our assistants? Now I'm not saying there aren't some good ones but that needs to be Scotts call
Who says UCF has inferior talent. Star rankings? Star rankings are a function of how many camps you attend. Lots of talent in the South that doesn't get all that much camp exposure

I suppose I don't understand this point that if he did't go to Nebraska nobody would care. Obviously, that's the point.

Assuming Frost is a good coach for argument's sake, wouldn't it be a plus that he lived here and played here during an era of unprecedented success. It implies that he understands the unique nature of Nebraska football and perhaps has insight into what made it so good despite all of the obvious disadvantages. The fact that he has been mentored by the coach that had all of that success, seems to further imply that Scott Frost would have a better understanding of how to succeed at Nebraska than others.

Obviously, if he is not a good coach, then none of that matters. But, I don't get this idea that some seem to have that him playing at Nebraska is irrelevant.

What?

Why wasn't Phillip Montgomery a hot commodity last year? He took over a 2-10 Tulsa team, coached them up to a 6-7 record and a bowl game in year one (55-52 loss to Virginia Tech) the following year he was 10-3 overall record, finishing 2nd in the American Conference West behind Navy but ahead of a Tom Herman coached Houston team. No one looks at that record and says he is the next great coach, guaranteed.

No one is saying that Frost's knowledge of the inner workings of the Nebraska program would be a negative. Just that his knowledge of those inner workings does not override the fact that he has 15 games as a head coach.

Montgomery's track is very similar to Frost's worked his way up the ranks, was an OC for a high powered P5 offense in Baylor, got a job at an American Conference team coming off a bad year. In 2017 Tulsa is struggling to 1-4 record, now you see that continued success isn't guaranteed. Matt Ruhle had good success at Temple in the American, now look at him at Baylor, zero wins, home loss to Liberty, again success at G5 school doesn't guarantee success at P5. Tom Herman was a great coordinator had early success at Houston, fell off in year 2. Now at Texas, his team is underachieving. Is that him or Charlie Strong? Charlie had no success at Texas, but tons at Louisville (when they were in the American and Big East football) and now at USF. See the pattern?

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
What?

Why wasn't Phillip Montgomery a hot commodity last year? He took over a 2-10 Tulsa team, coached them up to a 6-7 record and a bowl game in year one (55-52 loss to Virginia Tech) the following year he was 10-3 overall record, finishing 2nd in the American Conference West behind Navy but ahead of a Tom Herman coached Houston team. No one looks at that record and says he is the next great coach, guaranteed.

No one is saying that Frost's knowledge of the inner workings of the Nebraska program would be a negative. Just that his knowledge of those inner workings does not override the fact that he has 15 games as a head coach.

Montgomery's track is very similar to Frost's worked his way up the ranks, was an OC for a high powered P5 offense in Baylor, got a job at an American Conference team coming off a bad year. In 2017 Tulsa is struggling to 1-4 record, now you see that continued success isn't guaranteed. Matt Ruhle had good success at Temple in the American, now look at him at Baylor, zero wins, home loss to Liberty, again success at G5 school doesn't guarantee success at P5. Tom Herman was a great coordinator had early success at Houston, fell off in year 2. Now at Texas, his team is underachieving. Is that him or Charlie Strong? Charlie had no success at Texas, but tons at Louisville (when they were in the American and Big East football) and now at USF. See the pattern?
Yeah, you missed my point. Perhaps I didn't make it clearly.

But on to another point. I hope the people that make the decision to hire a new coach look beyond simply the record. By your argument, I suppose no coach without HC experience would be a good candidate since we need to see beyond his record at 15 games. Although by that measure, can we even judge Ruhle at Baylor, or Montgomery for five games this year?

Yeah, you missed my point. Perhaps I didn't make it clearly.

But on to another point. I hope the people that make the decision to hire a new coach look beyond simply the record. By your argument, I suppose no coach without HC experience would be a good candidate since we need to see beyond his record at 15 games. Although by that measure, can we even judge Ruhle at Baylor, or Montgomery for five games this year?
Montgomery is in his 3rd year at Tulsa... not sure why you suggest we can’t judge him.

Montgomery is a perfect example when you consider his time at Baylor as an OC, going 6-7 his first year, 10-3 his second year, and is now 1-4 so far in year three.

Who’s to say Frost won’t have the same kind of trouble in year 3 (if he is still at UCF)? I’m not saying he will, and neither is Tuco. Just pointing out that Frost isn’t any different than some of these other hot shot coaches, other than the fact that he played here.

And yes, you do make some good points about SF knowing the environment and atmosphere here, no question. But his Nebraska roots and understanding the culture don’t make him a slam dunk success either.

There are two sides to this coin. Frost is not only the best option, he’s the only option, and Frost may be a great one, but we haven’t seen enough to be sure.

And now, today, it comes out that if you are of the second opinion, you are a Frost hater (not your words, but as you know, it’s out there on the board).

Montgomery is in his 3rd year at Tulsa... not sure why you suggest we can’t judge him.

Montgomery is a perfect example when you consider his time at Baylor as an OC, going 6-7 his first year, 10-3 his second year, and is now 1-4 so far in year three.

Who’s to say Frost won’t have the same kind of trouble in year 3 (if he is still at UCF)? I’m not saying he will, and neither is Tuco. Just pointing out that Frost isn’t any different than some of these other hot shot coaches, other than the fact that he played here.

And yes, you do make some good points about SF knowing the environment and atmosphere here, no question. But his Nebraska roots and understanding the culture don’t make him a slam dunk success either.

There are two sides to this coin. Frost is not only the best option, he’s the only option, and Frost may be a great one, but we haven’t seen enough to be sure.

And now, today, it comes out that if you are of the second opinion, you are a Frost hater (not your words, but as you know, it’s out there on the board).
Well, that is my point, I suppose. Frost is just like the other hot shot coaches AND he played here. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating to hire Frost. I don't really have an opinion on hiring him. I know nothing about Frost other than what is simply readily available to any casual Nebraska fan.

My point, is, as you allude to, there seems to be pro and anti Frost factions so to speak at this point. I don't understand what the so called anti-Frost people hold against him for playing here. Although I think the better question might be this: Why do people NOT want to hire somebody that has ties to the program? Is it because they feel that is the ONLY requirement? If so, I agree. But, is it so preposterous to think that maybe it might be a good idea to hire a coach that experienced first hand what made this the only program in the middle of nowhere to have ridiculous success?

Now, obviously that person would have to also be a good coach. But, I would think, all things being equal, (if in fact they were) Frost should have an advantage due to his familiarity and him being mentored by the coach responsible for our greatest era and involved in all of our championships.

Last edited:

No Phillip Montgomery! First, he was there for all the Baylor nonsense. I can't imagine he didn't know anything. Second, he had a great year last year because he had a great quarterback. This year he is clueless. I sat there ten rows from him last Saturday and watched him snivel away a 14 point lead against Navy. He runs Baylor's offense but went 2 whole quarters without throwing the ball once...and recorded zero points. I'm a "run the ball kind of person" but that was ridiculous.

It really depends on how much he likes Lincoln. Lincoln is one of the best places in the country to raise a child. It is in the vicinity of enough entertainment to feel stimulated. Does he love the Huskers because he won a title here? He actually might. He might love living in Lincoln, and want to start a family here. Bo showed us that a coach can win, immediately at NU...we had enough talent to make and win a bcs game while Bo was at NU, he was just crazy and his staff was a bunch pervs. Nebraska is good enough for Frost to come back to....a great job in fact...but he may not like living here and I think that is the main factor.

No Phillip Montgomery! First, he was there for all the Baylor nonsense. I can't imagine he didn't know anything. Second, he had a great year last year because he had a great quarterback. This year he is clueless. I sat there ten rows from him last Saturday and watched him snivel away a 14 point lead against Navy. He runs Baylor's offense but went 2 whole quarters without throwing the ball once...and recorded zero points. I'm a "run the ball kind of person" but that was ridiculous.
I'm not advocating for Montgomery, not even close! Where did I say that?

All I did was try to explain Tuco's comparison. Period.

Well, that is my point, I suppose. Frost is just like the other hot shot coaches AND he played here. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating to hire Frost. I don't really have an opinion on hiring him. I know nothing about Frost other than what is simply readily available to any casual Nebraska fan.

My point, is, as you allude to, there seems to be pro and anti Frost factions so to speak at this point. I don't understand what the so called anti-Frost people hold against him for playing here. Although I think the better question might be this: Why do people NOT want to hire somebody that has ties to the program? Is it because they feel that is the ONLY requirement? If so, I agree. But, is it so preposterous to think that maybe it might be a good idea to hire a coach that experienced first hand what made this the only program in the middle of nowhere to have ridiculous success?

Now, obviously that person would have to also be a good coach. But, I would think, all things being equal, (if in fact they were) Frost should have an advantage due to his familiarity and him being mentored by the coach responsible for our greatest era and involved in all of our championships.
I have no problem with this post at all. I think those who are concerned about hiring someone with ties to the program is that if there is someone better, who isn't connected to Nebraska in any way, then hiring Frost wasn't the best move.

If we hire Frost, I have no problem with it. I think he could be great! But I can't say that for sure, and if we take him over someone who would be better, that's the issue with those who are balking at the hire.

Scott Frost Scott Frost Scott Frost Scott Frost Scott Frost Scott Frost Scott Frost
Holy cow,this guy is been spending to much time in Colorado smoking up.Scott Frost hasnt proved shit yet that he is ready to take over here.He beat Mary,so what..He played them after there 1st string qb and there 2nd got hurt and couldnt play before they played them .They have gtech on there list,but they got canceled.

When he was at the beavers ,he was Co ofc ,so you cant say it was all on him how good they were..Every body outside of your husker sites that wasnt pumping sunshine up peoples asses to sell memeberships ,said we would be lucky to win 6 games ,since we had a New defense and Riley would be going with a different o plan.But the ass holes here and on other sites pumped up our team to keep people happy so we will keep buying a membership to there site.

If you want change ,you should start by dropping your membership to these sites ,before you get pissed off because some fat reporter ,who never ever played the game ,went to college and now has the job of selling husker football to keep his job!!!

I say give Mike Riley a couple of more years to get this right!!!He has been bringing in some of the best recruits we have seen here in along time and he needs a few more years before we start looking for a New coach.Tom Osborne was givin alot of time,but it paid off!! We need to stay the course!!!

We havent had this kind of recruiting luck in along time ,so we owe it to him for 2 more years!!

Last edited:
Holy cow,this guy is been spending to much time in Colorado smoking up.Scott Frost hasnt proved shit yet that he is ready to take over here.He beat Mary,so what..He played them after there 1st string qb and there 2nd got hurt and couldnt play before they played them .They have gtech on there list,but they got canceled.

When he was at the beavers ,he was Co ofc ,so you cant say it was all on him how good they were..Every body outside of your husker sites that wasnt pumping sunshine up peoples asses to sell memeberships ,said we would be lucky to win 6 games ,since we had a New defense and Riley would be going with a different o plan.But the ass holes here and on other sites pumped up our team to keep people happy so we will keep buying a membership to there site.

If you want change ,you should start by dropping your membership to these sites ,before you get pissed off because some fat reporter ,who never ever played the game ,went to college and now has the job of selling husker football to keep his job!!!

I say give Mike Riley a couple of more years to get this right!!!He has been bringing in some of the best recruits we have seen here in along time and he needs a few more years before we start looking for a New coach.Tom Osborne was givin alot of time,but it paid off!! We need to stay the course!!!

We havent had this kind of recruiting luck in along time ,so we owe it to him for 2 more years!!

Are you sure you haven't been spending too much time in Colorado?

I don't believe Scott Frost was ever at the beavers, but he was at the Ducks.

What did the previous three coaches or Mike Riley prove that any of them were ready to take over at Nebraska? When the previous three exited, they all had winning records at UNL, with Solich and Pelini batting over .700 so to speak, so it shows that even an average coach, even if not really proven, can win at Nebraska.

You spoke of Osborne and how he was given a lot of time, but what did he really prove that merited him being named HC? And speaking of a lot of time, Osborne didn't win his first OUTRIGHT Big 8 title until 1981, 9 years after being named the HC. Riley won't get 9 years to get it right, that is the way it is these days, nor do I think he'd want to be around for 6 more years to give it a shot.

I hope Riley can turn the rest of the year around and get to 8 wins this year, and you never know, they just might. But to think that Scott Frost, who may NEVER coach at Nebraska, couldn't do as good as Riley or the previous three, is selling the guy short.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
We havent had this kind of recruiting luck in along time ,so we owe it to him for 20 more years!!

I fixed that for you. WE owe him 20 more years. That's what WE owe him.
His smile is just too much....... No way can we get rid of that fckin smile.

I'm not sold on Frost at this time. I like the way UCF is playing ball but his body of work isn't enough for me to say he's a big time coach just yet. It would be a happy day to us all if that were the case but if it's not the case then one of our own is on the bad end of the stick. I'd hate to see that happen so we either wait or look elsewhere IMO.

Are you sure you haven't been spending too much time in Colorado?

I don't believe Scott Frost was ever at the beavers, but he was at the Ducks.

What did the previous three coaches or Mike Riley prove that any of them were ready to take over at Nebraska? When the previous three exited, they all had winning records at UNL, with Solich and Pelini batting over .700 so to speak, so it shows that even an average coach, even if not really proven, can win at Nebraska.

You spoke of Osborne and how he was given a lot of time, but what did he really prove that merited him being named HC? And speaking of a lot of time, Osborne didn't win his first OUTRIGHT Big 8 title until 1981, 9 years after being named the HC. Riley won't get 9 years to get it right, that is the way it is these days, nor do I think he'd want to be around for 6 more years to give it a shot.

I hope Riley can turn the rest of the year around and get to 8 wins this year, and you never know, they just might. But to think that Scott Frost, who may NEVER coach at Nebraska, couldn't do as good as Riley or the previous three, is selling the guy short.

Sorry ..Your right i should of said Ducks..Mike does need more time...Tom Osborne Did get alot of time.Im 53 and he sucked for a long time.Us older fans can remember him never being able to beat the Sooners.And was called out many many times to be Fired!! .If he couldnt beat them or,He couldnt beat The florida teams when he did beat Sooners!!

We won College National in the 70,s and it took Tom until Mid 90'S before he repeated it after many times of our team choking under his years.I was around when they wanted the eat crow coach and his crew gone..We are so in need to be a great team again we fire coaches like nothing.I say give Mike time..I think he will get us atleast a Big ten title.If we beat Wisconsin and Ohio St all the Scotty Frost fan club will start to hide there faces.

Scout Frost sure hasnt showed he can recruit even their..Look at his top 3 star player!!He'll he came here and only had 3 star players he would be showed the door quik as shit ..And all these talent scouts on here would hide there asses,qiucker then shit!!.

We alot of star talent this week and we would never never see it under Scotty Frost....

Sorry ..Your right i should of said Ducks..Mike does need more time...Tom Osborne Did get alot of time.Im 53 and he sucked for a long time.Us older fans can remember him never being able to beat the Sooners.And was called out many many times to be Fired!! .If he couldnt beat them or,He couldnt beat The florida teams when he did beat Sooners!!

We won College National in the 70,s and it took Tom until Mid 90'S before he repeated it after many times of our team choking under his years.I was around when they wanted the eat crow coach and his crew gone..We are so in need to be a great team again we fire coaches like nothing.I say give Mike time..I think he will get us atleast a Big ten title.If we beat Wisconsin and Ohio St all the Scotty Frost fan club will start to hide there faces.

Scout Frost sure hasnt showed he can recruit even their..Look at his top 3 star player!!He'll he came here and only had 3 star players he would be showed the door quik as shit ..And all these talent scouts on here would hide there asses,qiucker then shit!!.

We alot of star talent this week and we would never never see it under Scotty Frost....
SO, you are saying TO sucked for a long time and Riley needs more time.

You might be the worst judge of coaching ability on the internet.

Reactions: CDMXHusker
I don't want to throw Frost into our 2018-19 schedule. That could definitely be a losing season, and it'd be better to let RIley sink or swim. If Scott knows theres a good chance the NU open jobs opens up in 2019, he might stay at UCF for one more year, and then move into a more manageable schedule (and a better contract).

I was not advocating a Montgomery hire. I was only pointing out that there are other coaches, in the American Conference, that have had similar turn around to to what Frost has accomplished at UCF.

Reactions: WHCSC
I was not advocating a Montgomery hire. I was only pointing out that there are other coaches, in the American Conference, that have had similar turn around to to what Frost has accomplished at UCF.
Didn't mean to imply you were. Montgomery is making a mess of things...but many of us saw this last year too. Shoot, he lost to Ohio State 48-3 last year. It was painful.

On the TU board a father reported, after having 17 passing yards in the 4th quarter against Navy, "I bet you wish we had Cody Green back." OUCH!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT