ADVERTISEMENT

QB Board

Drake Maye is 7-2 with 2.8K passing yards and 26 total touchdowns and 5 ints

Caleb 7-3 with 2.9k passing yards 38 total tds and 4 ints

HH is 5-2 with 900 yards passing 12 total tds and 6 ints

1 has a top 20 defense, 2 have bottom 90+ defense
I would like to go on the record and say Drake Maye and Caleb Williams are better quarterbacks than Haarberg.

Jonathan Smith has revived Oregon State and had the program in good shape for DJ U to step in and succeed. OSU has better lines and is a much more physical, tougher team under Smith.
to @dinglefritz's point, which is good and I agree with, Oregon State went 10-3 the year prior to landing their big time transfer QB

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
Drake Maye is 7-2 with 2.8K passing yards and 26 total touchdowns and 5 ints

Caleb 7-3 with 2.9k passing yards 38 total tds and 4 ints

HH is 5-2 with 900 yards passing 12 total tds and 6 ints

1 has a top 20 defense, 2 have bottom 90+ defense
exactly, their teams don't control the line of scrimmage.

which is evidenced by the fact Nebraska is ahead of both in time of possession.

Reactions: king_kong_
You asked, how many past transfer QB's were successful so past data is accurate.
from 2000-2018, a total of 28 quarterbacks performed better at their new school than they did at their old one, according to that link

that is an astonishingly low number in 19 years, but transfers didn't happen nearly as frequently during that time frame.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Seems every fan knows HH‘s fate except for our resident monkey. I wonder if he’s still willing to bet HH is our starter at the beginning of next season. The Gronowski from the Jackrabbits idea is intriguing to me. Talk about a winner
Rhule reiterated today what I already knew:

Coach Rhule is coaching Heinrich for next year, and the year after - “I think he’s a winner”

would be nice to get a winner from FCS or the right FBS QB to push him and compete for the job. I don't think sims or purdy offer much in that direction.

plus I think the drops we see from the new WRs are partially due to the fact they spent the entirety of camp catching lollipops. so many things can be helped with quality QB depth.

also completely agree with those who say we need to take 2 QBs out of high school.

Comparing a transfer QB's "stats" to their numbers the prior season/at their previous school is not the most meaningful or relevant statistic in determining whether or not the transfer was a success for their current team. It is far more relevant to compare their current performance to the projected/expected performance of the QB that would be starting in their place had the transfer not occurred. Unfortunately, this is...not really possible to do without a lot of subjective criteria.

I’d figure out how to get Michael Pratt from Tulane N
NIL value $450k per On3, for whatever value you assign that. Think he’d be a great option, has great numbers. Proven QB that we can definitely afford if we want to.

Reactions: kakdawg
Comparing a transfer QB's "stats" to their numbers the prior season/at their previous school is not the most meaningful or relevant statistic in determining whether or not the transfer was a success for their current team. It is far more relevant to compare their current performance to the projected/expected performance of the QB that would be starting in their place had the transfer not occurred. Unfortunately, this is...not really possible to do without a lot of subjective criteria.
That’s why I posted each QB’s current team’s record

Basically all are in the 4-6 win range with a couple at 7 and a couple at 2

Which is to say: average

If you’d like to argue that all 25 or so of these teams would be below/above average without their new QB, knock yourself out

That’s why I posted each QB’s current team’s record

Basically all are in the 4-6 win range with a couple at 7 and a couple at 2

Which is to say: average

If you’d like to argue that all 25 or so of these teams would be below/above average without their new QB, knock yourself out
Well...again that really isn't that meaningful. You would be closer to the mark if you were to somehow be able to project the number of wins they would have with a different quarterback. And that's probably very difficult to do. You'd have to look at the other QB's on the roster or that were on the roster that transferred out as a result of the new QB transferring in, and make some kind of reasonable attempt to predict how many games the team would have won with one of those guys...an imprecise science at best. At the end of the day, I would hypothesize that you are right that transfer quarterbacks aren't a panacea for a team's problems, especially teams that aren't very good. And I would also guess that they almost always fall far short of fans' expectations.

from 2000-2018, a total of 28 quarterbacks performed better at their new school than they did at their old one, according to that link

that is an astonishingly low number in 19 years, but transfers didn't happen nearly as frequently during that time frame.
people are stupid Kong.. they don't understand, nor do they want to.

I agree with you.. I think they should get 2 guys in here from the portal, but I also don't think they would start, just based on the odds.

People think it's just about fundamental skills.. something AM had lots of.. except those skills don't guarantee anything. If you have a kid who is uncompetitive, or lacking confidence, it doesn't matter how good his ball skills are, he's not going to win you very many games.

The mob will never understand this..

If the coaching staff was smart, they would go out and find kids who won a lot of games as high school QB's.. (something Urban Meyer does). They will not recruit a kid who lost more than a game or two, if that. That is the single most important metric from a QB.

HH is not all star material, but he is a competitor and he is confident. I bet people forgot how crappy SF was in his first year playing here, only to come back the next year like a completely different player. It's more than just possible.

The kid has a high ceiling and potential to be a different guy next season.

if you can find a post from me saying so, it would go a long way to prove your point.

but, sadly for you and @SomedayHusker, that post doesn't exist because I have never said anything close to it.

sorry, friends. disappointed & wrong again.

Rhule absolutely should've been more aggressive in the RB transfer portal this past offseason. Anthony Grant is unplayable at this point. anyone who thought he was a difference maker clearly doesn't know shit about football.

if you'd like to talk about stats/facts comparing transfer QBs in their first year with Haarberg, I'm very here for it. I believe many folks are quick to say "portal" with zero knowledge of what comes out of it, especially in year 1.
A first year starter with limited reps the previous year will be a whole lot different in year 2 and Rhule said as much in his press conference today. Still a lot to work on and we should be treating HH like a freshman.

Sadly people are jumping him like he’s a senior and we are coming off of B1G division titles this year. We have a chance to go bowling with 3 games left in the season and so many want to bag on this kid.

Give him a chance to get better … as Rhule said today … we have freshman on the o-line, fb, rb and 3 wr and soph qb. The future is bright because they will ALL get better.

North Dakota State would be an average to below average team in a conference like the B1G or the SEC. Their QB would look average against B1G or SEC defenses.
Gives there level of football. If they were average in the BiG. If they were actually part of power 5. Who knows. These kind of points are dumb

North Dakota State would be an average to below average team in a conference like the B1G or the SEC. Their QB would look average against B1G or SEC defenses.
Probably true. But they are going to have 3 qb's in the last 10 years that collect NFL pensions. That isn't random. The NFL doesn't keep them around because they are from NDSU. It doesn't matter what the FCS competition was, what matters is the NFL keeps them around.

I'll see if I have time later to look it up but at least 2 if not all 3 of those qbs played against P5 teams.

I think everyone is way over thinking this. Good portal qbs are out there. Average portal qbs are out there. And bad portal qbs are out there. Just like regular high school recruiting and just like the NFL draft. Good coaches can sift through and get a good one.

We are playing a transfer qb this weekend. The fact that Maryland is favored is probably 100% due to him.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Oh so you want to pursue a transfer that won’t start, in other words NOT pursue a transfer lol. In other words, you want HH to start, which is what you just said that you never said.

I would never bet a multi-screen name HH troll from the internet. I’d sooner donate to the Nigerian Prince’s college fund.
That's not what he meant. He meant get a transfer. If the transfer happens to beat out Haarberg for the starting spot, then so be it. If not, so be that as well.

Reactions: king_kong_
I pray every day for those kind of busts to play qb for NU. I would love to have a couple first round picks not meet expectations.
Agreed

But the point was about the level of competition

They lit up fcs and fizzled out/don’t play at a higher level

Lance won’t collect a pension

That's not what he meant. He meant get a transfer. If the transfer happens to beat out Haarberg for the starting spot, then so be it. If not, so be that as well.
You just haven’t read all his ridiculous threads then. It won’t be “so be it”. It will be an adolescent Bud Light seltzer-fueled eruption of “Matt Rhule is a coward/liar, his dad is a liar because he’s a preacher, everyone here and everywhere is a liar betrayer because HH isn’t starting.”

He calls it “holding people accountable” but it‘s actually really bizarre and concerning.

Agreed

But the point was about the level of competition

They lit up fcs and fizzled out/don’t play at a higher level

Lance won’t collect a pension
How won't he? Isn't he halfway through his 3rd season already?

Didn't Wentz start for 3 different teams? Easton is career 2nd string. I consider that pretty good in the grand scheme of things.

How won't he? Isn't he halfway through his 3rd season already?

Didn't Wentz start for 3 different teams? Easton is career 2nd string. I consider that pretty good in the grand scheme of things.
Lance will need to convince someone to give him a 2nd contract to be pension eligible

Are Wentz and he 1st rounders if they go play in the ACC/SEC out of high school? Not so sure

It’s an interesting thought experiment and frankly I lean toward GMs overthinking it (to your earlier point) when fcs guys flash in workouts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT