ADVERTISEMENT

Player You Hated

Bernie Kosar.

Guy could maybe run a 6.8s 40 in his prime. He was a poor man's Dan Marino, but he still talks more smack than Warren Sapp even to this day.

Our 1983 team shit the bed that fateful night, and gave birth to a Florida revolution of football power programs in Miami, Florida State, and eventually Florida like we had never seen before.

Reactions: HUSKERinLA
Bernie Kosar.

Guy could maybe run a 6.8s 40 in his prime. He was a poor man's Dan Marino, but he still talks more smack than Warren Sapp even to this day.

Our 1983 team shit the bed that fateful night, and gave birth to a Florida revolution of football power programs in Miami, Florida State, and eventually Florida like we had never seen before.
Yep that Nebraska team over looked Miami they figured all they had to do was show up and the trophy was theirs

Sam Keller almost single-handedly created the NIL situation we are in now. Like it or hate it, but he's basically the Jackie Robinson of Show Me the Monay!
Doesn’t change my opinion of the guy. Way before his time in
Yep that Nebraska team over looked Miami they figured all they had to do was show up and the trophy was theirs
Didn’t the coaches change Dave Burke’s jersey at halftime in hopes that Bernie would stop targeting him? I haven’t seen that done much, if ever since. Neb’s offense showed up in that game but, unfortunately, the defense looked a bit surprised by Bernie and the Cane O. Schnelenberger was a real piece of work. Didn’t he arrive in a helicopter for a practice or media outing? Weird guy. Maybe it made a difference…but doubt it.

I do remember after the game how horrible the Miami fans were to us while we waited for a cab. I was 15 at the time coming from Lincoln, Neb. I remember thinking it seemed like I was in a foreign country at that moment. Matt was 12 at the time…and was wearing a rainbow wig. Remember those? Ha

Reactions: huskerfan66
Game flat sucked.

Kosar was a RS Freshman and Alonzo Highsmith was a true freshman. We all remember Miami teams loaded with NFL talent, well this wasn't one of them.

On the other hand, we had Mike Rozier that went 1st in the USFL draft, and the top 2 picks in the NFL draft with Fryar and Steinkuhler. Huskers would have likely had the top 3 players drafted if Rozier didn't sign with the Pittsburgh Maulers, but the USFL was handing out $ at that time.

I don't think we took them lightly, they just did things offensively that caught us off guard and the offense simply stunk it up in the 1st half.

Reactions: dpnavy
Game flat sucked.

Kosar was a RS Freshman and Alonzo Highsmith was a true freshman. We all remember Miami teams loaded with NFL talent, well this wasn't one of them.

On the other hand, we had Mike Rozier that went 1st in the USFL draft, and the top 2 picks in the NFL draft with Fryar and Steinkuhler. Huskers would have likely had the top 3 players drafted if Rozier didn't sign with the Pittsburgh Maulers, but the USFL was handing out $ at that time.

I don't think we took them lightly, they just did things offensively that caught us off guard and the offense simply stunk it up in the 1st half.
I’m just going by the the players said in a reunion like 10 ,15 years later they commented they over looked Miami

I’m just going by the the players said in a reunion like 10 ,15 years later they commented they over looked Miami

If they overlooked Miami that is 100% on them. It cost them from being Husker legends.

If they overlooked Miami that is 100% on them. It cost them from being Husker legends.
I cant Remember where I saw the show, maybe it was shown during a fundraiser for NETV. I venture to say someone out there has the video or dvd of it.

I don’t think they overlooked Miami…they just got exposed a bit for being a less than stellar defensive group that season. We scored 30 after all. Rozier got hurt late. I remember Fryar dropping the deep ball and the missed conversion. That same group of defenders led the nation (I believe) in total D the next year (84).

Reactions: kakdawg and dpnavy
I don’t think they overlooked Miami…they just got exposed a bit for being a less than stellar defensive group that season. We scored 30 after all. Rozier got hurt late. I remember Fryar dropping the deep ball and the missed conversion. That same group of defenders led the nation (I believe) in total D the next year (84).

SO ..., going back to the "Player I Hate". Yeah. Bernie Kosar.

I don't hate Bernie Kosar. He was quite the talent. I say we took them for granted. If we had come out firing on all cylinders, we would have beaten them by a couple of scores. Remember, with that offense, you'd keep them off the field and scoreboard more. There's no do over.

I don't hate Bernie Kosar. He was quite the talent. I say we took them for granted. If we had come out firing on all cylinders, we would have beaten them by a couple of scores. Remember, with that offense, you'd keep them off the field and scoreboard more. There's no do over.
Yah…they moved the ball on Neb pretty much at will in the first half and kept our O off the field.

Reactions: kakdawg
I hated DeAngelo Evans for having so much talent but quitting, and just seeming like a prima donna. There was likely more to the situation than that, but that's what it looked like from the outside, and it was just such a shame.
I don’t have time right now to rebut this but i will

Reactions: NYC-Husker
Curious as the why you say KB? Bad experience with him as a fan? He invited me to a tailgate last year and I thought he was a very nice guy. Great tailgate and free tickets to OSU game and then a week or two later sent my family an Omaha Steaks package - with filets, lobster, twice baked potatoes…etc. We had a great time talking to him and cool experience for my oldest daughter who is a do or die Neb fan…

After being a fan with some that weren’t tremendously fan friendly - like Tommie Frazier…just curious as to why Kenny?
Kenny, during his playing days, constantly bad mouthed Husker fans. Hell he said more than once it was the team against the world, and according to him the world included the Husker fan base. The only reason the Huskers have remained relevant over the last 20 years is our fan base. Kenny was damn lucky to play in front of our fans, but he definitely didn't see it that way.

Reactions: bigboxes
Kenny, during his playing days, constantly bad mouthed Husker fans. Hell he said more than once it was the team against the world, and according to him the world included the Husker fan base. The only reason the Huskers have remained relevant over the last 20 years is our fan base. Kenny was damn lucky to play in front of our fans, but he definitely didn't see it that way.
Probably the result of him playing for a coach who felt that way.

Well…I can tell you he passionately follows Neb now. You like Tommie Frazier? Well…at least I can tell you some players can and do mature over time…but not all.

Reactions: dpnavy
There’s a book that claims Fryar was paid to drop those passes.

That’s crazy. It was a wide open, perfectly thrown pass to the number 1 player taken in the draft. I loved Fryar back when he played at Neb but some of the weird/wacky things that have transpired with his life over the past 40 years have me stop and think a bit now every time I see that play. We scored on that drive anyway but took a good deal more clock to do so.

Opposing players...Sapp has to be there near the top. Great player of course. It took three quarters but our OL finally shut him up.
You could put a lot of old Miami players on this list
Opposing fans: Colorado hands down by a mile. Just absolutely zero respect in that crowd.

Obviously found in the fiction section of the book store.

Huskers were 17 point favorites. If you paid a little used WR on the Nebraska football team to guarantee your moneyline wager on Miami, then you were dumber than a fence post.

We had a string of terrible MLBs recently that seemed to be here forever and I couldn't wait for the one to be gone only to be replaced by worse

~gbr

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
Not the same group you had redshirt Danny noonan and Chris spachman on the d line several new guys in the secondary and Marc Mumford and kevin parson I believe at linebacker

Just thought of Richie Incognito and recalled how glad I was when he was gone. Can't think of too many players I honestly hated except that guy. The irony is the talent that a-hole had. Should have won an Outland.

He's #1 on my list.

Not the same group you had redshirt Danny noonan and Chris spachman on the d line several new guys in the secondary and Marc Mumford and kevin parson I believe at linebacker
You had the entire secondary back - Mccashland, Clark, Burke and Harris, the two defensive ends - Strasdberger and Webber, Stuckey and Graeber on the interior, Knox and Daum at LB - so yah, from a starting standpoint - the entire D. I think Mumford started some or most of the year. Danny Noonan was not a major contributor as a RS Frosh - remember he came to Neb from Lincoln Notheast at barely 200 pounds. Spachman wasn’t playing much on DL yet either. So let me rephrase - the defense was 94 percent the same as it was in 83’.

Several new guys in the secondary? You talking starters?

Doesn’t change my opinion of the guy. Way before his time in

Didn’t the coaches change Dave Burke’s jersey at halftime in hopes that Bernie would stop targeting him? I haven’t seen that done much, if ever since. Neb’s offense showed up in that game but, unfortunately, the defense looked a bit surprised by Bernie and the Cane O. Schnelenberger was a real piece of work. Didn’t he arrive in a helicopter for a practice or media outing? Weird guy. Maybe it made a difference…but doubt it.

I do remember after the game how horrible the Miami fans were to us while we waited for a cab. I was 15 at the time coming from Lincoln, Neb. I remember thinking it seemed like I was in a foreign country at that moment. Matt was 12 at the time…and was wearing a rainbow wig. Remember those? Ha
Clark and McCashland switched jerseys to put more speed up front. They woulda gotten away with it had Burke shaved his moustache which Miami picked up on. I was at that game and spotted the switch. I'm telling my aunt and uncle McCashland doesn't have a moustache when I saw a clean shaven number 33. My 1st cousin was a captain on that squad and me and his brother used to go down there all the time to hang out with him so I got to know all the guys on the 81-83 squads.

Last edited:
Clark and McCashland switched jerseys and to put more speed up front. They woulda gotten away with it had Burke shaved his moustache which Miami picked up on. I was at that game and spotted the switch. I'm telling my aunt and uncle McCashland doesn't have a moustache when I saw a clean shaven number 33. My 1st cousin was a captain on that squad and me and his brother used to go down there all the time to hang out with him so I got to know all the guys on the 81-83 squads.
That would have been a cool time to be friends with the team.

That dude intentionally hurt Rozier on that play as up to that point he already had 146 yards rushing as they couldn't stop him. Go look at the play and how it was done.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
Well…I can tell you he passionately follows Neb now. You like Tommie Frazier? Well…at least I can tell you some players can and do mature over time…but not all.
I never once claimed that Tommie was a nice guy, but I do know he has never publicly ripped the Husker fan base.

Reactions: Bruce1981
No on Incognito. My favorite play of his was when he blocked the Penn State DE (Brown?) and when Brown was on his stomach on the field, RI literally sat down on top of him. Brown erupted and threw RI through the air. Hilarious. A fight ensued.

Also, Swiney made a ton of plays.

I vote for that Miami douchebag who was not even playing in the game and ran out on the field to talk trash. "Typical of the University of Miami!" - K. Pavelka's broadcast.

Obviously found in the fiction section of the book store.

Huskers were 17 point favorites. If you paid a little used WR on the Nebraska football team to guarantee your moneyline wager on Miami, then you were dumber than a fence post.
I’m not saying it’s true, but there’s a scenario where it could be. A guy feels good about Miami covering (or winning outright), so he bets on them, but also tells Fryar he’ll give him a cut if he drops a couple balls.

I don’t know how y’all hate Afro Thunder. Kid always performed for us. And was tough as shit for being an anorexic skeleton. I hated that he wore a blue shirt visibly under his uni. But he was a unique fella

I don’t know how y’all hate Afro Thunder. Kid always performed for us. And was tough as shit for being an anorexic skeleton. I hated that he wore a blue shirt visibly under his uni. But he was a unique fella
He liked to go out and have fun, drove a nice car, took a paycheck from The Bar while pretending to work there, which is all fine and good, but then would publicly complain that he didn’t have enough to pay his utility bills. Whiny and entitled jock attitude.

I do agree with other posters that he seems to have grown up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT