ADVERTISEMENT

Player You Hated

He liked to go out and have fun, drove a nice car, took a paycheck from The Bar while pretending to work there, which is all fine and good, but then would publicly complain that he didn’t have enough to pay his utility bills. Whiny and entitled jock attitude.

I do agree with other posters that he seems to have grown up.
Seems like a kid. I love Afro Thunder. Not gonna listen to the haters

Seems like a kid. I love Afro Thunder. Not gonna listen to the haters
He was the only kid out of 150 complaining to the media about it. Never said I hated him though. Just said I grew tired of his complaining.

Fun player to watch and seems like a cool guy now.

benimy, thompson, kosear, boz, blackledge, sapp, aikemen, that missou rush end, asu lb, keith jackson, etc

benimy, thompson, kosear, boz, blackledge, sapp, aikemen, that missou rush end, asu lb, keith jackson, etc
1978 Missouri.

James Wilder had 178 yards rushing and 4 TDs. Kellen Winslow had 6 receptions for 132 yards and a TD.

Back then we didn't get beat by stiffs. We got beat by future All Pros or dudes that played out of their shoes.

1978 Missouri.

James Wilder had 178 yards rushing and 4 TDs. Kellen Winslow had 6 receptions for 132 yards and a TD.

Back then we didn't get beat by stiffs. We got beat by future All Pros or dudes that played out of their shoes.
And QB Phil Bradley was probably also an NFL talent, but had a long career in MLB instead.

And QB Phil Bradley was probably also an NFL talent, but had a long career in MLB instead.
Went back and looked. James Wilder had a 10 year NFL career. He had back to back seasons of 1,500 and 1,300 yards rushing for the crap awful Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Went back and looked. James Wilder had a 10 year NFL career. He had back to back seasons of 1,500 and 1,300 yards rushing for the crap awful Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Gerry Ellis was also a RB on that Missouri team. He had a solid NFL career as well.

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
I wouldn't say hate, but I was irritated with Terrence Nunn for a long time after the Texas game. Just don't fumble man.....

or that game against ttech. Can’t remember who picked the ball and fumbled it but that was a killer loss.

Yep I was sitting in the end zone seats where the pick was during that game. Talk about a range of emotions
I'm with you. I was at the game for both as well as I was in college at the time. Both moments were so huge and literally went from screaming my face off to like a WTF feeling. Basically nothing has changed since then. NU football is just a huge letdown. I get fired up every year and always will, but can't wait to have our team punch me in the dick repeatedly again.

Just thought of Richie Incognito and recalled how glad I was when he was gone. Can't think of too many players I honestly hated except that guy. The irony is the talent that a-hole had. Should have won an Outland.

I can honestly say I've NEVER hated a player. I don't know these dudes personally and honestly don't care to. It's extremely hard to hate someone that you don't know. Especially if your basing it off of things we assume are true about them. I'll never let myself get there.

Holla

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Other than the obvious choice

What players have done more damage to the program after their playing days - perhaps as a coach - than the good they did as a player?

Last edited:
Game flat sucked.

Kosar was a RS Freshman and Alonzo Highsmith was a true freshman. We all remember Miami teams loaded with NFL talent, well this wasn't one of them.

On the other hand, we had Mike Rozier that went 1st in the USFL draft, and the top 2 picks in the NFL draft with Fryar and Steinkuhler. Huskers would have likely had the top 3 players drafted if Rozier didn't sign with the Pittsburgh Maulers, but the USFL was handing out $ at that time.

I don't think we took them lightly, they just did things offensively that caught us off guard and the offense simply stunk it up in the 1st half.

I'm not sure that's the case. I think that Miami team simply did things offensively that our team wasn't built to stop. They also had athletes that outside of OU that we hadn't seen defensively either.

The big 8 was a powderpuff league back then and almost every team were some version of option predominantly running football teams. With much less talent than that Miami team.

When you get a great college QB (albeit young) and speed and skilled talent going against a bunch of guys built to stop power run/option football that's what you get.

Offensively we could match them but defensively we weren't there yet. Ironically it would be almost 10 years later before McBride and Osborne went down to FSU I think during the spring to study what they were doing with the 4-3 defense that got more speed on the field. Out with the big fullback bashing LBs and in with the 205-215 pound LBs with sub 11.0 100 meter speed.

Seen bits of pieces of it in 1991 -92 with guys like Stewart playing LB in obvious passing downs. Guys like Ernie Beiler and Toby Wright doing the same in 92. Lorenzo Brinkley as well sub OLBs in passing downs. Hell John Reece played some dime LB against FSU I think in 1989 Fiesta bowl I think against FSU as a true frosh before his injury.

Anyways by 1993 they had made the full switch and guys like Trev and D Jones at DE at 225 and 240 pounds. Ed Stewart full time OLB at 205ish. That was the beginning of those guys being able to match that Florida speed.

Holla

Reactions: LoudHogRider
Yep I was sitting in the end zone seats where the pick was during that game. Talk about a range of emotions

Yeah I was on the opposite end zone. We were all cheering and the sadness went from the opposite end zone to ours in like 45 seconds.

I'm not sure that's the case. I think that Miami team simply did things offensively that our team wasn't built to stop. They also had athletes that outside of OU that we hadn't seen defensively either.

The big 8 was a powderpuff league back then and almost every team were some version of option predominantly running football teams. With much less talent than that Miami team.

When you get a great college QB (albeit young) and speed and skilled talent going against a bunch of guys built to stop power run/option football that's what you get.

Offensively we could match them but defensively we weren't there yet. Ironically it would be almost 10 years later before McBride and Osborne went down to FSU I think during the spring to study what they were doing with the 4-3 defense that got more speed on the field. Out with the big fullback bashing LBs and in with the 205-215 pound LBs with sub 11.0 100 meter speed.

Seen bits of pieces of it in 1991 -92 with guys like Stewart playing LB in obvious passing downs. Guys like Ernie Beiler and Toby Wright doing the same in 92. Lorenzo Brinkley as well sub OLBs in passing downs. Hell John Reece played some dime LB against FSU I think in 1989 Fiesta bowl I think against FSU as a true frosh before his injury.

Anyways by 1993 they had made the full switch and guys like Trev and D Jones at DE at 225 and 240 pounds. Ed Stewart full time OLB at 205ish. That was the beginning of those guys being able to match that Florida speed.

Holla
The 83 Miami team was nowhere near as talented as their late 80s and later on teams.

Alonzo Highsmith was pretty solid, and Speedy Neal played some downs in the NFL. Eddie Brown was a good WR but nothing like they had later.

The 2001 team we faced made that 83 team look like Jr High. At RB they had Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore and Najeh Davenport. WR they had Andre Johnson and Roscoe Parrish. TE they had Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow's son. On the DL they had Vince Wilfork and Jerome McDougle. At LB they had Jonathan Vilma and DJ Williams. In the secondary they had Antrell Rolle, Mike Rumph, Ed freaking Reed, Sean Taylor, and Philip Buchanan. That was a near NFL team loaded with future All Pros.

I never once claimed that Tommie was a nice guy, but I do know he has never publicly ripped the Husker fan base.
But he did tell at least
The 83 Miami team was nowhere near as talented as their late 80s and later on teams.

Alonzo Highsmith was pretty solid, and Speedy Neal played some downs in the NFL. Eddie Brown was a good WR but nothing like they had later.

The 2001 team we faced made that 83 team look like Jr High. At RB they had Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore and Najeh Davenport. WR they had Andre Johnson and Roscoe Parrish. TE they had Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow's son. On the DL they had Vince Wilfork and Jerome McDougle. At LB they had Jonathan Vilma and DJ Williams. In the secondary they had Antrell Rolle, Mike Rumph, Ed freaking Reed, Sean Taylor, and Philip Buchanan. That was a near NFL team loaded with future All Pros.
2001 Miami team was freakishly talented. I do believe 95 Neb (with much less pro talent) would beat 2002 Miami by 10+

But he did tell at least

2001 Miami team was freakishly talented. I do believe 95 Neb (with much less pro talent) would beat 2002 Miami by 10+
Interesting debate, and I know where us Husker faithful stand.

Would be an amazing game for sure. That Miami team could do whatever they wanted. Our Huskers were the oiled machine that would just out execute and beat teams down. Would have been a crazy game to see in the trenches and front 7. They had us out-athleted, but that OL and the precision in which they fired off the ball and the quickness in how we got to the edge was pure perfection.

Lol...no arguments from me there buddy. There wasn't any team as stacked as there 2001 team talent wise. That team TALENT WISE was a one of one.

I'm comparing the talent on that offensive team in 1983 relative to our defensive unit. Plus the style of play. Our defense was like a fish out of water. Just didn't face many pro style offenses in the old big 8. At least not like that team with Kosar pulling the trigger.

Holla

But he did tell at least

Thanks to Larry Coker 😂😂. Give Jimmy Johnson that team and Id probably feel different. But no doubt in my mind TO vs Coker is easily worth 14 points or so lol.

Holla

Because he deserves to be mentioned in this thread even though he was not a player: Bo Pelini. I don't care that he managed to win 9 games a year. This guy was a complete embarrassment.

Reactions: Baxter48
Interesting that nobody from Iowa is mentioned (I think). It just confirms to me what I have always thought-- it is a manufactured rivalry, not a real one. Nothing like teams that are mentioned often here-- Oklahoma, Colorado, and Miami.

Lol...no arguments from me there buddy. There wasn't any team as stacked as there 2001 team talent wise. That team TALENT WISE was a one of one.

I'm comparing the talent on that offensive team in 1983 relative to our defensive unit. Plus the style of play. Our defense was like a fish out of water. Just didn't face many pro style offenses in the old big 8. At least not like that team with Kosar pulling the trigger.

Holla

Their offense really wasn't that innovative or anything we hadn't seen before.

People seem to believe they "threw it all over the yard". They didn't.

Kosar threw 35 passes and completed just 19. Turner threw 30 himself.

We ran 86 plays to their 63.

The UCLA team we smoked earlier in the season had Rick Neuheisel at QB and Oklahoma State had Jimmy Johnson as coach with Rusty Hilger throwing the ball around.

Interesting that nobody from Iowa is mentioned (I think). It just confirms to me what I have always thought-- it is a manufactured rivalry, not a real one. Nothing like teams that are mentioned often here-- Oklahoma, Colorado, and Miami.

Nebraska doesn’t have any rivalries - they jumped ship because they were butt hurt that Texas owned them in the Big12 and the fact that the team they considered their rival (OU) essentially kicked them to the curb in favor of Texas

And now they are in the big ten where they aren’t worthy of being considered a rival by anyone in the conference .. they exist to simply collect conference paychecks without contributing anything of value

even Creighton doesn’t consider them a rival in basketball

nebraska is the Iowa state of the big ten - only much much less successful (apologies to Iowa state)

Last edited:
I agree. iowa is just another game against a lame b1g west opponent, all of which run together into one lame, slow, boring team with an empty trophy case.

really makes me laugh when iowa dopes like our friend above here try to act like they haven't spent every second of their lives hating Nebraska Football for cucking the daylights out of them, their fathers and their father's fathers, though.

I agree. iowa is just another game against a lame b1g west opponent, all of which run together into one lame, slow, boring team with an empty trophy case.

really makes me laugh when iowa dopes like our friend above here try to act like they haven't spent every second of their lives hating Nebraska Football for cucking the daylights out of them, their fathers and their father's fathers, though.
It's like he thinks he's fooling us. I'm not trolling! I'm someone different than the last c*cksucker that said the exact same thing! Derp.

Kenny, during his playing days, constantly bad mouthed Husker fans. Hell he said more than once it was the team against the world, and according to him the world included the Husker fan base. The only reason the Huskers have remained relevant over the last 20 years is our fan base. Kenny was damn lucky to play in front of our fans, but he definitely didn't see it that way.
We were damn lucky to have Kenny, whose highlight tape as a WR is one of the top 3-5 in NU history.

As far as him bad mouthing Husker fans, never heard any of that. My nephew was a huge KB fan and Kenny could not have been more gracious towards him and my BIL when they met him at a basketball game.

We were damn lucky to have Kenny, whose highlight tape as a WR is one of the top 3-5 in NU history.

As far as him bad mouthing Husker fans, never heard any of that. My nephew was a huge KB fan and Kenny could not have been more gracious towards him and my BIL when they met him at a basketball game.
Taking a victory lap based on a play - KBs block - where our team lost 70-31 is the perfect microcosm of too many in our pathetic fan base

Just thought of Sam Keller. That lawsuit against EA Sports was the epitome of pathetic.

That was my go to video game for so many years. I haven’t turned on my video game system in almost a couple years.

Now if they bring the game back…watch out!! Winking

Reactions: TFrazier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT