ADVERTISEMENT

Another Caitlin Clark thread......but different.

Laner2

Head Coach
Dec 27, 2007
The Hurtling Moons of Barsoom
Yeah, I know. Another CC thread is as much fun as a rematch with herpes. But there's an elephant in the room that not many are talking about, and that is the heat and downright disrespect CC is getting from mostly blacks. Antonio Brown is the latest in a disappointingly long list of nuts, past players, current players, sports commentator and personalities, who just can't accept that she is (swallowing my gorge) a generation talent who has, yes, broken many records mostly held by black female players.

I'm not going to post an exhaustive list of offenders but you can use your favorite search engine to see what I mean. Also, I'll ask that the thread be deleted if this turns into a nasty racist outlet for the unbalanced. I'm interested in your perspective about a phenomenon that, yes, has a racial aspect to it, but which I suspect may be as much societal as anything. My litmus test on this issue is to reverse it: how would I feel if a minority became the best at a traditionally white sport like tennis-----whoops, already happened, or gymnastics-----dang, that too, how about golf? Gee whiz, that happened also. Now if white personalities started sniping at the minority who excelled, how would that be received by the sports community and sports journalists?

See what I mean? To my mind anything that doesn't elevate and only tears down is just wrong irrespective of whose ox is getting gored.

Thoughts? Again, if this turns into a racist rant I'll ask that it be deleted. Race will inevitably come up but let's look at this specific matter as objectively as possible.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Yeah, I know. Another CC thread is as much fun as a rematch with herpes. But there's an elephant in the room that not many are talking about, and that is the heat and downright disrespect CC is getting from mostly blacks. Antonio Brown is the latest in a disappointingly long list of nuts, past players, current players, sports commentator and personalities, who just can't accept that she is (swallowing my gorge) a generation talent who has, yes, broken many records mostly held by black female players.

I'm not going to post an exhaustive list of offenders but you can use your favorite search engine to see what I mean. Also, I'll ask that the thread be deleted if this turns into a nasty racist outlet for the unbalanced. I'm interested in your perspective about a phenomenon that, yes, has a racial aspect to it, but which I suspect may be as much societal as anything. My litmus test on this issue is to reverse it: how would I feel if a minority became the best at a traditionally white sport like tennis-----whoops, already happened, or gymnastics-----dang, that too, how about golf? Gee whiz, that happened also. Now if white personalities started sniping at the minority who excelled, how would that be received by the sports community and sports journalists?

See what I mean? To my mind anything that doesn't elevate and only tears down is just wrong irrespective of whose ox is getting gored.

Thoughts? Again, if this turns into a racist rant I'll ask that it be deleted. Race will inevitably come up but let's look at this specific matter as objectively as possible.

You are the one that brought up the race stuff . So IMO you are the one that wants it turned into a race thing. Just delete!

Reactions: Zeke2005
Larry Bird used it as fuel, not as poison

Bird complained to Charles Barkley during a game that Charles’ teammates were disrespecting him. He mentioned it several times as they went up and down the court. Barkley finally told Larry that he wouldn’t tolerate his team disrespecting Larry and asked what happened. Still running up and down the court, Larry tells Charles, “because you guys have a white guy guarding me.”

Pure GOLD!

irrespective of race, caitlin moves on to the pros and like any heralded rookie, she will get the best played against her. i remember pete struggled some in the nba, had a nice career, not top-50, not near bird or oscar's class, but still very good.

i suspect cc will as well. her body type will limit her success more than anything. she's lithe, not thick and well-muscled like the greats. that said, those who judge her, athletes or others on anything but their contributions and performances are true lowlifes.

Last edited:
I've noticed it to...I think the biggest offenders are telling the world their idiots, but the world already knew. I mean, AB??? Please. Total dipshit. That girls famous bball player who's name I cannot remember even after she acted like a stupid bitch toward CC? Meh. Let them be dorks....kinda comes with the territory. Look at Taylor Swift, plenty of peoole of all races make fun of her to. It is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT