ADVERTISEMENT

November 11, 1978 Oklahoma at Nebraska

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
I've been watching this video over the last couple of days. Just enjoying how good these teams were. That hit by Ruud against Phelps is legend. "The Hit". Like Tommie Frazier's "the Run". It's cool seeing I.M. Hipp's name come up again. Billy Sims was my favorite Sooner. Easily the most talented guy on that field. Kenny King, too. Amazing game. Weather played a role. I wish I had been older and had gone to the game. Surely, there's some on this board that were at the game in '78

This game is more important in Husker lore than many realize, Osborne was on the hot seat for not beating the Sooners. We could easily have two instead of five titles if it wasn’t for that hit by Ruud.

Reactions: zrob
Great game highlights. Thanks for posting.

For me that game causes me to reflect on how throughly Oklahoma under Switzer owned Nebraksa under Osborne when the 2 teams were highly ranked

When both teams entered the game ranked in the top 10 Osborne was just 2-11 in those games - the is despite Neb being favored in the majority of those games

I can’t recall a series being so throughly dominated by one team when those teams entered the game both so highly touted

Great game highlights. Thanks for posting.

For me that game causes me to reflect on how throughly Oklahoma under Switzer owned Nebraksa under Osborne when the 2 teams were highly ranked

When both teams entered the game ranked in the top 10 Osborne was just 2-11 in those games - the is despite Neb being favored in the majority of those games

I can’t recall a series being so throughly dominated by one team when those teams entered the game both so highly touted
OU had more talent than NU in 1978. Osborne has said so. The pressure for Tom to beat OU was great.

Reactions: Minn1954
This game is more important in Husker lore than many realize, Osborne was on the hot seat for not beating the Sooners. We could easily have two instead of five titles if it wasn’t for that hit by Ruud.
You mean the hit by Jeff Hanson, which saved the game. The hit by Ruud was incredible, but it was negated by the officials' incompetence.

And please, don't anyone bring the BS story about Kelly Phelps stepping out of bounds. If that had been the call, the ball would have been marked much farther back. That was a load of crap the refs made up afterward to try to rationalize an absolutely horrible call.

Loved me some Rick Berns. Didn't look like a guy who would be a great RB, but he was a tough runner with deceptive speed.

Always felt that OU team was the best opponent ever to come into Lincoln and leave with a loss. They were loaded.

I've been watching this video over the last couple of days. Just enjoying how good these teams were. That hit by Ruud against Phelps is legend. "The Hit". Like Tommie Frazier's "the Run". It's cool seeing I.M. Hipp's name come up again. Billy Sims was my favorite Sooner. Easily the most talented guy on that field. Kenny King, too. Amazing game. Weather played a role. I wish I had been older and had gone to the game. Surely, there's some on this board that were at the game in '78

My freshman year, I was in the north end zone and the ‘hit’ was right in front of me.

Let me tell you how much that game meant to me. We were in a Fraternity/Sorority section for freshman. I got to the game and a really nice and good looking sorority freshman sat next to me. We talked, then sat closer because it was cold, finally by the 3rd quarter, she was on my arm sharing a blanket. When the game ended and the it was time to run on the field, I said ‘let’s go’ and she didn’t want to because it was cold. She said let’s go back to your house….I said ‘see ya’ and ran onto the field. Never saw her again, but it was worth it.

• Love
Reactions: bigboxes
My freshman year, I was in the north end zone and the ‘hit’ was right in front of me.

Let me tell you how much that game meant to me. We were in a Fraternity/Sorority section for freshman. I got to the game and a really nice and good looking sorority freshman sat next to me. We talked, then sat closer because it was cold, finally by the 3rd quarter, she was on my arm sharing a blanket. When the game ended and the it was time to run on the field, I said ‘let’s go’ and she didn’t want to because it was cold. She said let’s go back to your house….I said ‘see ya’ and ran onto the field. Never saw her again, but it was worth it.
Yeah. You had the story there. I would've wanted the chick who went for it and went down on the field.

OU had more talent than NU in 1978. Osborne has said so. The pressure for Tom to beat OU was great.
OU not only had more talent, that might have been the most talented OU team ever. Stacked on offense and defense. We played about as well as you could play.

I dispute though the idea that the weather hurt OU. The team who runs 98% of the time has the advantage in cold weather. They fumbled so much because Nebraska hit harder than any game I ever saw them play, before and since.

OU not only had more talent, that might have been the most talented OU team ever. Stacked on offense and defense. We played about as well as you could play.

I dispute though the idea that the weather hurt OU. The team who runs 98% of the time has the advantage in cold weather. They fumbled so much because Nebraska hit harder than any game I ever saw them play, before and since.
I was there…the hardest hitting game I’ve ever seen. I think Lance Van Zandt was the DC? He had them on fire!

As good as we were every year it was hard listening to "can't win the big one" from some corners.

My neighbor had tickets. I had a cold. And I was weary of losing to Sooner Magic, so I stayed home.

D'oh.

Sims was a great running back!

• Love
Reactions: pascal and bigboxes
Loved me some Rick Berns. Didn't look like a guy who would be a great RB, but he was a tough runner with deceptive speed.

Always felt that OU team was the best opponent ever to come into Lincoln and leave with a loss. They were loaded.
Correct about Rick Berns.

I was there with my dad. Who has since passed. We sat in the north end zone. The fumble happened right in front of us. Actually it felt like it was below us. It was great!!!

Most memorable game I've been to. Pre-game I remember QB Thomas Lott coming out of the tunnel with his bandana on. He looked up into the stands holding up his hands with the number one sign. A few random boos came down. He loved it. intimidated the crap out of me and I was sure we were in trouble

I was more euphoric with that win than any other NU win ever, even the wins over Miami and Florida.
I agree, because it had taken so long for NU and TO to climb to the top of the mountain because OU was so good. The Miami and Florida games were amidst a run when NU was about the most dominant team in college football, and had been near the top for so long.

The next week was demoralizing when we couldn't stop Wilder and Phil Bradley.

Then the damn rematch against a way more talented team in OU in the Orange Bowl. When OU wasn't putting the ball on the ground, they were just so dominant against us that game.

Of all the great backs NU has faced, I think Billy Sims put more fear in me as a fan than any other back we've faced.

Losing to Mizzou in a close hard fought game was a kick in the nuts..

Never forget the Orange Bowl committee inviting Nebraska to play OU and Devaney had his head down like he drank to much before the announcement and when TO heard it he just chuckled and shook his head..

Losing to Mizzou in a close hard fought game was a kick in the nuts..

Never forget the Orange Bowl committee inviting Nebraska to play OU and Devaney had his head down like he drank to much before the announcement and when TO heard it he just chuckled and shook his head..
scarlet, I don't drink, but if you and I had been sitting together for that first NU/OU game, I would've even had a beer I was so fuvcking pumped to finally beat them.

Reactions: scarletred

Ygos?

I was there with my dad. Who has since passed. We sat in the north end zone. The fumble happened right in front of us. Actually it felt like it was below us. It was great!!!
I don’t want to quibble… it was south end zone , pretty sure

I don’t want to quibble… it was south end zone , pretty sure
I never really paid much attention to that north versus south end zone. I just know we were in the end zone Phelps came towards us up near-But did not step on-the sideline, Before he was annihilated in one of the hardest hits I’ve ever seen/heard. Later Billy Sims was coming towards us-We were in that corner. IIRC he got hit on about the seven, the ball rolled to around the two and a red shirt fell on it and we went nuts! When I say we, I meant everyone else but my dad, because he never got excited about football. Then we slowly marched the ball up the field to around the 25 or 30 or so and some of the players started dancing, then set for the last snap and it was great.

I never really paid much attention to that north versus south end zone. I just know we were in the end zone Phelps came towards us up near-But did not step on-the sideline, Before he was annihilated in one of the hardest hits I’ve ever seen/heard. Later Billy Sims was coming towards us-We were in that corner. IIRC he got hit on about the seven, the ball rolled to around the two and a red shirt fell on it and we went nuts! When I say we, I meant everyone else but my dad, because he never got excited about football. Then we slowly marched the ball up the field to around the 25 or 30 or so and some of the players started dancing, then set for the last snap and it was great.
No problem….. but I was 20 rows up and lived it to the hilt!!!!

Was at both the OU and Mizzou games.
Was in the South stands and once again that SOB Sims was breaking tackles left and right headed for the endzone, ready to steal yet another victory from us when Pillen and Hansen did their number on him. It was for me the greatest single moment in all my football fandom.
It was all celebration that next week but little did we know what was stalking us in the bushes.
I don't think anyone doubted a victory, after all, we'd just slayed that dragon.
And when Rick Berns raced 80 yards on the very first play from scrimmage, the route was on, or was it?
Mizzou was always mean, tough and dirty but this day they were extremely determined.
James Wilder was the Supreme beast but they had army of mad at the world backs.
When our All American end, George Andrew's, came up to take him down Wilder simply threw him to the ground and crossed the goal line. Say what you will about modern athleticism but those guys were tough as nails.

Legend has it - Osbornes greatest recruiting job was getting Barry fired lol. Not that he did, but Neb never wins those NC’s if Barry is still there. OU owned Tom and us and like today we couldn’t get the big time recruits without a little extra help.

Legend has it - Osbornes greatest recruiting job was getting Barry fired lol. Not that he did, but Neb never wins those NC’s if Barry is still there. OU owned Tom and us and like today we couldn’t get the big time recruits without a little extra help.
Didn't know that TO supplied Buster Rhymes with that machine gun.😉

Little doubt we'd have seen some more epic battles in the 90s if Switzer had stayed at the helm and avoided the scandal that brought him down, but I would have liked our chances - tough to bet against TO leading the kind of talent we had in the 90s.

Last edited:

I was there. Exorcised some demons that day and literally got shoved over the top rail and on to the field as the game ended. Didn’t participate in tearing down the posts.

Tom was starting to catch up with Barry in the 80’s what put Tom behind the 8 ball was the losing streak from 73-77

Reactions: scarletred
Switzer put OU on probation and ran the program with no precaution for running into trouble..

Barry did it to himself.

Reactions: dpnavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT