ADVERTISEMENT

OT: So...my truck was stolen last night out of the driveway

huskrz

Recruiting Coordinator
Jan 2, 2004
Granted it's an old 1995, but runs like a charm and not rusted had it for 18 years. I call the cops to report and a sheriff comes out.

Officer: What color did you say it was?
Me: Maroon
Officer: Did you have an tools in the front seat?
Me: No. Why?
Officer: Do you know about what time it happened?
Me: No Why?
Officer: Um...well...a truck matching that description was stopped leaving your neighborhood around 3 this morning. They cited a guy for possession of marijuana.
Me: In my truck?
Officer: Possibly. They asked him what he was doing and he said he just dropped off his friend that he was borrowing the truck from to move.
Me: Again, in MY truck?
Officer: Apparently.
Me: Good. Where's my truck?
Officer: Um...well...the deputy that cited him and confiscated the marijuana and sent him on his way.
Me: IN MY TRUCK??????
Officer: Well we know who it is we'll find it.

UDPATE: So...I got a letter yesterday for The City of Counciltucky. They have my truck and they said it was an abandoned vehicle and I had to pay $380 in storage and $60 towing by 9/10 or it will sold at auction. I called them and to see what kind of condition it was to see if it was worth it. Their response: Don't know. I then asked if they realized it was stolen and they say: So.

Last edited:
Hmmm, what was weed doing in YOUR truck? You may have a possession (constructive) charge coming your way. Dude steals your truck and then gets you charged with possession of Mary Jane. That would suck.

Hmmm, what was weed doing in YOUR truck? You may have a possession (constructive) charge coming your way. Dude steals your truck and then gets you charged with possession of Mary Jane. That would suck.
Nope. It was found on him

Granted it's an old 1995, but runs like a charm and not rusted had it for 18 years. I call the cops to report and a sheriff comes out.

Officer: Um...well...a truck matching that description was stopped leaving your neighborhood around 3 this morning. They cited a guy for possession of marijuana.
Officer: Possibly. They asked him what he was doing and he said he just dropped off his friend that he was borrowing the truck from to move.
Officer: Um...well...the deputy that cited him and confiscated the marijuana and sent him on his way.

Cracker jack police work there.

I had a car stolen about a year ago and it took the first 20 minutes of time with the police officer to convince him that no, my wife hadn't just gotten so angry with me that she drove away in it. I had to laugh - she would have left her newer, nicer car. But apparently fake car-theft calls are the norm in the world of dramatic spousal spats.

Duh, the guy will be getting another citation for having burglary tools. In PHX, car theft from the driveway is the same ( dependable )as garbage removal for popular models. A friends son had 3 anti-theft devices on a truck; they finally lifted it into the back of a modified semi and off they went.

What town was the truck stolen in? I want to avoid it, or the law enforcement officers there anyway.

I had a car stolen in college. Pretty much same type of situation, older vehicle not worth much. It was found 2 days later when it got towed from a gas station parking lot. Had to pay the towing fee, and they stole a baseball bat, but the cop said it was the norm for stolen cars to show up a couple days later out of gas but unharmed.

A friends employee had his vehicle stolen and called the police. They filled out the paperwork; then he was arrested for unpaid parking tickets - they never caught the car thief.

I had a car stolen in college. Pretty much same type of situation, older vehicle not worth much. It was found 2 days later when it got towed from a gas station parking lot. Had to pay the towing fee, and they stole a baseball bat, but the cop said it was the norm for stolen cars to show up a couple days later out of gas but unharmed.
I had my car stolen out of my driveway about 5 years ago. Cop told me about the same thing and the same scenario happened to me as you stated here. Found it in South O pretty much unharmed. You learn things when your car gets stolen. Like....always leave your car locked. And never, ever........leave a spare in the car. Yeah. I did that. Today I have a new vehicle. It gets locked with a club on the wheel. Trust no one.......not even in your own damn driveway.

Reactions: sparky62

Huh. I'm not familiar with how stealing cars works. But I wonder what would have been in the ignition? Given that he was stopped and had marijuana confiscated, might there not have been some kind of giveaway here?...

Definitely hope you get your truck back.

So...apparently the cop didn't feel it necessary to check for an ID, and compare it with the registration...while citing him for weed? I gotta think a commendation is in order for that particular cop. Call it the Barney Fife award.

Reactions: timnsun
How does a guy with weed not get cuffed and hauled off to jail?

Maybe because even cops are now starting to realize weed just isn't worth jamming a guy up over anymore. When your own neighboring state sells it over the counter, maybe it's time to stop thinking it's that big of a deal. Just a thought.

Maybe because even cops are now starting to realize weed just isn't worth jamming a guy up over anymore. When your own neighboring state sells it over the counter, maybe it's time to stop thinking it's that big of a deal. Just a thought.
Or maybe the amount he had on him was a misdemeanor. Just a thought

So...apparently the cop didn't feel it necessary to check for an ID, and compare it with the registration...while citing him for weed? I gotta think a commendation is in order for that particular cop. Call it the Barney Fife award.

The cop said they knew who did it, therefore an ID was most likely obtained and he was cited. Asking for a registrations is normally done on all traffic stops. But seems how the suspect said to the cop "I was just dropping off a friend that is letting me borrow his truck because I am moving" means that the registration wouldn't be in the suspects name anyhow. So really, the cop didn't do a great job but didn't a horrible job.

Only question I had was that if he found weed on him, did they search the vehicle? If so, did they notice any damage to the steering column? Hell, I have had older vehicles that you could start with a screwdriver.

The cop could have went above and beyond and called the registered owner to verify the story since the guy had weed on him.

The cop said they knew who did it, therefore an ID was most likely obtained and he was cited. Asking for a registrations is normally done on all traffic stops. But seems how the suspect said to the cop "I was just dropping off a friend that is letting me borrow his truck because I am moving" means that the registration wouldn't be in the suspects name anyhow. So really, the cop didn't do a great job but didn't a horrible job.

Only question I had was that if he found weed on him, did they search the vehicle? If so, did they notice any damage to the steering column? Hell, I have had older vehicles that you could start with a screwdriver.

The cop could have went above and beyond and called the registered owner to verify the story since the guy had weed on him.

Once the weed was found, they needed to check the guy's ID vs the registration, and then contact the owner of the truck. The cop effed up bad.

UDPATE: So...I got a letter yesterday for The City of Counciltucky. They have my truck and they said it was an abandoned vehicle and I had to pay $380 in storage and $60 towing by 9/10 or it will sold at auction. I called them and to see what kind of condition it was to see if it was worth it. Their response: Don't know. I then asked if they realized it was stolen and they say: So.

So, why was the guy pulled over to begin with? Reckless driving? Failing to Stop?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT