ADVERTISEMENT

OSU McCord

As an OSU fan I hope Nebraska lands McCord so you can see the truth.

McCord looks like an NFL QB on about 20% of his throws. Then you watch the other 80% and you wonder how he even has a scholarship.

Locks onto WR presnap and doesn't read the route tree so it's either that WR or check down when WRs were running open for easy TDs.

Fans called him Checkdown Mccord until Gus Johnson started calling Marvin Harrison Maserati Marv, then he got the Honda Mccord nickname, which IMO is an insult to a fine automobile made in the Columbus area.

Statue like mobility

No competitive fire

Didn't improve at all from game 1 to game 12

He is lucky he was throwing to a bunch of NFL WRs and got balled out by the RBs to beat ND, Wisconsin & Penn St.
How was OSU in a position to start such a bad qb? Why weren't they in the portal last year or why didn't they have a hs qb?

As an OSU fan I hope Nebraska lands McCord so you can see the truth.

McCord looks like an NFL QB on about 20% of his throws. Then you watch the other 80% and you wonder how he even has a scholarship.

Locks onto WR presnap and doesn't read the route tree so it's either that WR or check down when WRs were running open for easy TDs.

Fans called him Checkdown Mccord until Gus Johnson started calling Marvin Harrison Maserati Marv, then he got the Honda Mccord nickname, which IMO is an insult to a fine automobile made in the Columbus area.

Statue like mobility

No competitive fire

Didn't improve at all from game 1 to game 12

He is lucky he was throwing to a bunch of NFL WRs and got balled out by the RBs to beat ND, Wisconsin & Penn St.
This is what I am afraid of

Reactions: nick614
Purely blaming a qb for team failures is lazy.. sounds like a lot of Husker fans on this board
McCord was absolutely responsible for the teams failures. Had all those weapons at his disposal and couldn't properly distribute the ball to them. He was very inaccurate and couldn't throw the ball on target to the receivers, and he's the definition of a 1 read QB. As soon as the ball was snapped he'd hone in on one receiver and throw either an errant pass or into tight coverage when another receiver was wide open on the other side of the field. Wildly inefficient QB that never got any better from week 1 to week 13. Our OL got better throughout the year and always kept McCord upright and he still couldn't get it done. The run game masked a lot of his deficiencies. Huskers can do much better than McCord easily. Fleming is a solid receiver with an injury history. I don't think he's hit his full potential yet, and I definitely don't think him and McCord are a package deal. Fleming and the WR's were not happy with McCord's passing this year. We had roster votes in fall practice on who the players wanted at QB (McCord or Devin Brown) and a vast majority wanted Brown as the QB due to his upside.

Urb likes him but Nick614 says he’s a worthless bum. Urb was a terrible NFL coach so I’m going to have to believe Nick614, who is undefeated as far as I know.

I Agree Amazon Studios GIF by ThePeopleWeHateAtTheWedding

McCord was absolutely responsible for the teams failures. Had all those weapons at his disposal and couldn't properly distribute the ball to them. He was very inaccurate and couldn't throw the ball on target to the receivers, and he's the definition of a 1 read QB. As soon as the ball was snapped he'd hone in on one receiver and throw either an errant pass or into tight coverage when another receiver was wide open on the other side of the field. Wildly inefficient QB that never got any better from week 1 to week 13. Our OL got better throughout the year and always kept McCord upright and he still couldn't get it done. The run game masked a lot of his deficiencies. Huskers can do much better than McCord easily. Fleming is a solid receiver with an injury history. I don't think he's hit his full potential yet, and I definitely don't think him and McCord are a package deal. Fleming and the WR's were not happy with McCord's passing this year. We had roster votes in fall practice on who the players wanted at QB (McCord or Devin Brown) and a vast majority wanted Brown as the QB due to his upside.
Bro… so lazy . Completed 68% of passes

88qwe6.jpg

The no competitive fire comment is so true and that's another thing OSU fans were mad with McCord about. His body language was awful, had no emotion, and every time the drive ended in a 3 and out or a turnover he would just walk to the sideline with his head down not communicating with anyone. I know Day and analyst Joe Philbin were ripping into McCord a lot this year. McCord led a game winning drive against ND (credit to him of course) and after the game winning touchdown McCord was hyped, yelling, shouting at fans in the stands on the sideline, and you NEVER saw that fire out of him again for the rest of the season, it was bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Probably as many nice throws in just this game than all 3 of our QBs combined in their careers, and I am not even exaggerating
I re-watched as much as I could from the Michigan game. Couldn't find full game highlights but found the entire 2md quarter td drive plus rest of game highlights. That guy can make all the throws.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The no competitive fire comment is so true and that's another thing OSU fans were mad with McCord about. His body language was awful, had no emotion, and every time the drive ended in a 3 and out or a turnover he would just walk to the sideline with his head down not communicating with anyone. I know Day and analyst Joe Philbin were ripping into McCord a lot this year. McCord led a game winning drive against ND (credit to him of course) and after the game winning touchdown McCord was hyped, yelling, shouting at fans in the stands on the sideline, and you NEVER saw that fire out of him again for the rest of the season, it was bizarre.
He must of read your posts and it depressed him…

We had a QB battle all through spring and fall camp, to the point leading up to the start of the season we still didn't have a QB picked. The coaches did a straw poll with the players asking them which QB they preferred, and the overwhelming majority picked Devin Brown. Of course Day's decision overrides everything and he stuck with McCord, presumably due to him being a year older, more experienced, and a slightly more understanding of the playbook. Devin Brown was the younger, more mobile, higher ceiling player that might turn the ball over more or make those young guy mistakes.

There's also rumors of McCord's dad being one of those kinds of dads, that think their son deserves all the reps, all the snaps, etc. It's been said by OSU insiders that McCord entered the portal because Day could not promise McCord's dad that his son would be the starter in the spring.

Bro… so lazy . Completed 68% of passes

88qwe6.jpg
Don't waste your time looking up the stats, it doesn't paint the whole picture. A lot of his throws were not on target at all and a lot of them were easy one read checkdowns, of course your completion percentage will look good doing that. When he threw the ball further than 10 yards, it was a lot of the times inaccurate

It’s a-holes like you that probably made him decide to transfer.

Last edited:
We had a QB battle all through spring and fall camp, to the point leading up to the start of the season we still didn't have a QB picked. The coaches did a straw poll with the players asking them which QB they preferred, and the overwhelming majority picked Devin Brown. Of course Day's decision overrides everything and he stuck with McCord, presumably due to him being a year older, more experienced, and a slightly more understanding of the playbook. Devin Brown was the younger, more mobile, higher ceiling player that might turn the ball over more or make those young guy mistakes.

There's also rumors of McCord's dad being one of those kinds of dads, that think their son deserves all the reps, all the snaps, etc. It's been said by OSU insiders that McCord entered the portal because Day could not promise McCord's dad that his son would be the starter in the spring.
So if day had his mind made up, then why do a team vote? Smells like you’re full of sheet

Do they use paragraphs in Ohio?

He must of read your posts and it depressed him…
As a fan I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the year, he was a new starter at all. But later in the season he kept making the same mistakes, started regressing in late October into November, and it was just time for a change. He played better in the second half of a lot of the games, but his first halfs were terrible. His halftime stats for a lot of games this year were not pretty.

As a fan I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the year, he was a new starter at all. But later in the season he kept making the same mistakes, started regressing in late October into November, and it was just time for a change. He played better in the second half of a lot of the games, but his first halfs were terrible. His halftime stats for a lot of games this year were not pretty.
Fair enough. just remember… grass isn’t always greener

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Why would Day have a player vote and then go against it?

Why would Day have a player vote and then go against it?
Day is a pretty stubborn guy. Probably wanted to gauge his players interest and see what they wanted. It's not like the vote was the thing that was going to decide the QB. It was an open competition for the first 2 games of the year. It wasn't a fair competition though, McCord played a vast majority of the snaps in the Indiana game because Indiana milked the clock that game and McCord stunk. It turned into a 23-3 victory where the offense had like 8 drives all game? Not enough snaps/reps to play both QB's equally in that game. Majority of OSU fans are happy to move on from McCord. Alls I'm saying is the Huskers can do much much better than him. Fleming obviously would be a massive upgrade he's still a 5* talent despite the injury history. And I would be shocked if they were a package deal, they aren't "buddies". Rhule should be going after QB's like Cam Ward, Riley Leonard, Will Howard, maybe Michael Pratt from Tulane if he enters the portal. McCord just isn't what you want in a QB in multiple ways. He was handed the keys to a ferrari and run it into every street lamp on the road.

Day is a pretty stubborn guy. Probably wanted to gauge his players interest and see what they wanted. It's not like the vote was the thing that was going to decide the QB. It was an open competition for the first 2 games of the year. It wasn't a fair competition though, McCord played a vast majority of the snaps in the Indiana game because Indiana milked the clock that game and McCord stunk. It turned into a 23-3 victory where the offense had like 8 drives all game? Not enough snaps/reps to play both QB's equally in that game. Majority of OSU fans are happy to move on from McCord. Alls I'm saying is the Huskers can do much much better than him. Fleming obviously would be a massive upgrade he's still a 5* talent despite the injury history. And I would be shocked if they were a package deal, they aren't "buddies". Rhule should be going after QB's like Cam Ward, Riley Leonard, Will Howard, maybe Michael Pratt from Tulane if he enters the portal. McCord just isn't what you want in a QB in multiple ways. He was handed the keys to a ferrari and run it into every street lamp on the road.
Leonard isn't happening. We visited Ward and Howard. It basically boils down to can he win 6 to 9 games for us. Based on what I've seen, he can.

This is dumb. Of course OSU fans aren’t happy with him. If they were, he’d be staying. And McCord has proven he can be a game manager. Didn’t we just say two weeks ago if we had a game manager we would have gone 10-2? He’s far better than anyone on our roster. Are people really arguing his stats don’t matter because of the talent level around him? So what’s the expectation? To land a top 10 statistical qb that did it without talent around him? That guy doesn’t exist and if he did, he’s going to Ohio state to get weapons, not Nebraska.

We have to walk before we run. This guy is a huge improvement from what we had in 2023 and probably the best we can get at this point. Start upgrading where we can, win some games and then things can really open up in the future. But complaining about a guy with McCord’s stats when we had arguably the worst qb room in the country last year? I swear people just look for a reason to complain.

Your fruity team let up like 400 yards to the wolfs and got pushed around all game with some lame ass asst coach calling the plays.

Stop it, own it, accept it. Also, you have a board to post on, go post there.

LOL at everyone who is criticizing those 2023 season stats as "terrible" or "disappointing". You can rationalize the criticism all you want but those stats wouldn't have happened if he had no talent.
Look, if he completes one more pass vs the wolfs, they win that game and the lame OSU fans are jacking off about him...

OSU fans are morons and totally enraged because they have a great coach that can't beat the wolfs.

You must be a big insider. Nice to know that top 3 teams leave these decisions up to the team to make. That really checks out. Day sounds like my wife who will ask the waitress what’s good and order something different.

I seriously see that playing out - where a staff that has been to the playoffs multiple times and finished top 5 nearly every year for decade couldn’t figure out the quarterback and so they asked the team and then told them all to F off and picked someone else.

You’re a clown.

You must be a big insider. Nice to know that top 3 teams leave these decisions up to the team to make. That really checks out. Day sounds like my wife who will ask the waitress what’s good and order something different.

I seriously see that playing out - where a staff that has been to the playoffs multiple times and finished top 5 nearly every year for decade couldn’t figure out the quarterback and so they asked the team and then told them all to F off and picked someone else.

You’re a clown.
That made me laugh out loud. So true.

Day is a pretty stubborn guy. Probably wanted to gauge his players interest and see what they wanted. It's not like the vote was the thing that was going to decide the QB. It was an open competition
I agree w some of your concerns with McCord, but this sounds like a rumor only the most ridiculously gullible would believe. What kind of "stubborn" head coach would give his players any remote thought they have a hand in who starts over who?

Reactions: HuskerO
I'm not buying the tale that a major college football coach polled the team to determine who they preferred as starting QB. Then again, I would never have believed accepting a bowl invitation would be determined by team vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT