ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma/Nebraska game

This sort of reminds me of that time OUs program was in the crapper... Their program walked away from a long standing rivalry so they wouldn't have to play UT and NU every year...

Ummm we are paying the players. They're getting spending money every month for the "cost of attendance". That's a helluva lot better when added to room and board than what they could be taking home from the MickeyDs many of them would have been working at without a college athletic scholarship.
they also get free 5-star all you can eat food every day and nice housing. Free gear. Free travel. Free exposure. they actually get a lot.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Meh. Don't care. I never liked the scheduling of this to begin with. I was over OU long before we left the B1G. They dumped us in order to keep their rivalry with Texas. Screw em. I'm all for doing what is best for NU's program, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. That rivalry was over after the Big 8 died.

Normally I Agree with a lot of what you say but not on this subject.. This was scheduled 7-8 years ago honoring one of the greatest games ever played after 50 years..

Anytime Nebraska plays Oklahoma is a big game in college football..

This makes us look like a bunch of wimps..

IMO if all this is true, I believe the only reason is to earn back some revenue lost from COVID.

Is it a bad look? Absolutely. Do I think we should back out? No. But I'm also far removed from the financials of the program, and I know that facility upgrade isn't cheap. Easy for people like me to complain about it when we're not directly impacted by the balance sheet.

Frost's tough words ring hollow to me just like everyone else. But I highly, highly doubt the reason we'd back out of this is because we want to turn an L into a W. It'd be a purely financial decision, and of course one that brings us a ton of negative attention. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Reactions: bshirt73 and WHCSC
1. The team is not in the same competitive neighborhood as OU. It could get ugly.
2. One million dollar buyout + plus a payout to a team for a one-off home game vs. say 5 million in ticket sales for the game (assuming a post-Covid full stadium, which is not a lock).
3. Husker fans missed the last season, so I'm sure a lot of folks would like to attend a game if full attendance is on offer.

they also get free 5-star all you can eat food every day and nice housing. Free gear. Free travel. Free exposure. they actually get a lot.
yes, it's all 'free', and there's no exchange of services taking place.

just completely 'free'.

so stupid.

Also, being 3-0 in the non-con increases chances of bowl game participation.

yes, it's all 'free', and there's no exchange of services taking place.

just completely 'free'.

so stupid.
It's not "free", but the claims that they play for free is just as wrong on the other end. They do get paid, just not in dollar bills. In fact, 99% of college athletes "make" far more than their contribution to the university is worth. It's really just the 1% of football and basketball players who aren't earning their market value.

Even the 1% "make" more than people realize. How much did Zion make by attending Duke? He wouldn't have landed nearly as many sponsorships if he went straight from high school. Wouldn't have been the top draft pick either. Being associated with a brand such as Duke basketball is worth a lot.

Reactions: Seascout3
It's not "free", but the claims that they play for free is just as wrong on the other end. They do get paid, just not in dollar bills. In fact, 99% of college athletes "make" far more than their contribution to the university is worth. It's really just the 1% of football and basketball players who aren't earning their market value.

Even the 1% "make" more than people realize. How much did Zion make by attending Duke? He wouldn't have landed nearly as many sponsorships if he went straight from high school. Wouldn't have been the top draft pick either. Being associated with a brand such as Duke basketball is worth a lot.
they actually do get paid in dollar bills (monthly stipend), in addition to whatever else their scholarships cover

it's just a fraction of what they'd be worth on the open market, if one were legally allowed to exist

they actually do get paid in dollar bills (monthly stipend), in addition to whatever else their scholarships cover

it's just a fraction of what they'd be worth on the open market, if one were legally allowed to exist
It is legally allowed to exist. The NCAA chooses not to pay athletes money. Even though it sounds paradoxical, it would actually be anti-free market for the government to step in and tell the NCAA that they must pay players a salary. Just like it's anti-free market to require a minimum wage (agree or disagree with the MW, it is still anti-free market).

And again, it's not a fraction of what they'd be worth in a free market. The sum of the value of the scholarships, room and board, stipend, clothes, gear, food, publicity, training, coaching, etc. is worth far more than what the vast majority of student athletes are worth.

It is legally allowed to exist. The NCAA chooses not to pay athletes money. Even though it sounds paradoxical, it would actually be anti-free market for the government to step in and tell the NCAA that they must pay players a salary. Just like it's anti-free market to require a minimum wage (agree or disagree with the MW, it is still anti-free market).

And again, it's not a fraction of what they'd be worth in a free market. The sum of the value of the scholarships, room and board, stipend, clothes, gear, food, publicity, training, coaching, etc. is worth far more than what the vast majority of student athletes are worth.
if it were legally allowed to exist, the NCAA and P5 conferences wouldn't spend tens of millions lobbying against it in congress.

if it were legally allowed to exist, the NCAA and P5 conferences wouldn't spend tens of millions lobbying against it in congress.
You have it backwards. They lobby to make sure that congress doesn't pass a law requiring them to pay money.

If the NCAA said today that they're going to start paying players money, would the government disallow it? No. Therefore, it's legally allowed to exist. It sounds like you want it to be legally required to exist.

You have it backwards. They lobby to make sure that congress doesn't pass a law requiring them to pay money.

If the NCAA said today that they're going to start paying players money, would the government disallow it? No. Therefore, it's legally allowed to exist.
it's a blanket policy disallowing it, and the NCAA fights tooth and nail to preserve this reality.

could Florida say they're paying their players? sure. they'd just have to forfeit their membership in the SEC and NCAA, wouldn't be able to make a schedule and could not compete for titles.

yep, sounds like it's perfectly plausible to me!

none of that changes the fact NU blows and is run by a gaggle of cowardly pussies.

it's a blanket policy disallowing it, and the NCAA fights tooth and nail to preserve this reality.

could Florida say they're paying their players? sure. they'd just have to forfeit their membership in the SEC and NCAA, wouldn't be able to make a schedule and could not compete for titles.

none of that changes the fact NU blows and is run by a gaggle of cowardly pussies.
That has nothing to do with the legality of it. There's no law that states "college athletes must not be paid in money". If Florida decided to pay players, they would be punished by the NCAA, as you noted. They would not be punished by the government.

You want the government to legally require the NCAA to pay players. The NCAA is already legally allowed to pay players. Big difference.

That has nothing to do with the legality of it. There's no law that states "college athletes must not be paid in money". If Florida decided to pay players, they would be punished by the NCAA, as you noted. They would not be punished by the government.

You want the government to legally require the NCAA to pay players. The NCAA is already legally allowed to pay players. Big difference.
yes, there are. it's illegal in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio to pay amateur athletes. those laws would literally need to change in order for schools in those states to pay their players.

Also, being 3-0 in the non-con increases chances of bowl game participation.

Unless they decide they want to celebrate Christmas with their families and opt out. This team is a bunch of flaccid personalities.

Sure.
But it's still legally allowed to exist.

For example, the entire SEC could say "We're paying players" (lol....we all know already) and thereby secede from the NCAA (ironic) and just play each other.

Obviously, that would still draw major attention, and would likely prompt other leagues to also do so.

Sure.
But it's still legally allowed to exist.

For example, the entire SEC could say "We're paying players" (lol....we all know already) and thereby secede from the NCAA (ironic) and just play each other.

Obviously, that would still draw major attention, and would likely prompt other leagues to also do so.
there are laws against it in several states, including basically half the B1G states.

those laws were all pushed through in opposition to the NIL laws years ago.

there are also tons of federal hurdles needed to jump through due to anti-trust protection granted to the NCAA.

I look at it this way we suck regardless who’s the coach imo dump ou get a more equal opponent I could give a crap if we’d ever play ou again they along with Texas screwed us

Well the silence from the athletic department is DEAFENING at this point. The McMurphy report came out at 8:57am. Oklahoma had a statement at 10:55am. Lincoln Riley has since made a statement. And still nothing from Nebraska. Clearly trying to figure out what they want to do and what/when to say anything. At this point its far too late for "this report was untrue" to be at all believable. Incompetent at best.

It’s year 4.Nebraska should not need to be pulling such stunts to gain bowl eligibility.

But alas, he’s not called Scott Fraud for nothing.
I don't think anyone is trying to pull stunts for "bowl eligibility". Because we had a chance to play in a bowl last season. All we had to do was say "we'd like to play in a bowl game".

It would appear likely they’re just working on the spin for this reasoning. The game was scheduled. F***ing play it! I can’t believe I’m reading this about the team that wanted to sue the conference to play football. I need to see examples from other schools doing this to believe that money is that big of a factor. This is about the worst PR our program could have right now. A complete f***ing dumpster fire.

1200px-Old_Dominion_Athletics_logo.svg.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT