ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma/Nebraska game

This makes us look pathetic and a bunch of wimps..

Even it means helping out financially, I’m against this 110%.😡
I don't really care how it looks. We need to take care of our fiscal problems caused by COVID and the B1G's stupid attendance rules this past fall. Lincoln got hammered by not having football and volleyball attendance. PBA's revenue has to have been destroyed.

I don't really care how it looks. We need to take care of our fiscal problems caused by COVID and the B1G's stupid attendance rules this past fall. Lincoln got hammered by not having football and volleyball attendance. PBA's revenue has to have been destroyed.
buy season tickets to the accounting meetings, then.

everyone trying to justify this with 'but, money!' is just as big a f'ing loser as moos, frost and the rest of the loser athletic dept

we are the biggest running joke in the amateur sports world, and we now appear to be leaning into that fact.

I'm embarrassed (once again) by my alma mater. f*ck these cowards!

if this is indeed the reason, I hope there are zero NU fans in the seats on Sept 18th.

everyone in Husker Nation deserves better!
Why? Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Geezus. Time for a reality check. It's always been about money. Scheduling OU in the first place was all about money. Now the reality is given NU's performance the past 2 years, the money won't be there for that game and we need revenue for both NU and Lincoln. Nobody gives a sh## about NU vs OU anymore. Spare us your righteous indignation over a game that wasn't a rivalry anymore long before we left the B1G.

Reactions: bshirt73 and WHCSC
Man, I hope they fix this! I'm a Sooner fan who was a bartender during the 90s and early 00s. My love of the rivalry was fully developed from my childhood in the 70s and 80s, but my love of Husker fans came from serving them drinks (while they wore their scarlet blazers) when visiting OKC restaurants. Everyone I interacted with was 100% class. Things changed a bit with the arrival of internet message boards and conference realignment, to the point where the rivalry was getting a little trashy towards the end. But the impressions I hold of Husker fans is still overwhelmingly positive.

I also can't imagine playing games down here hurts NU recruiting in the region. Seems like some donors might need to step up to right the bank account so that the program can keep it's eye on improving talent and strengthening it's ties to fertile recruiting territories.

Why? Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Geezus. Time for a reality check. It's always been about money. Scheduling OU in the first place was all about money. Now the reality is given NU's performance the past 2 years, the money won't be there for that game and we need revenue for both NU and Lincoln. Nobody gives a sh## about NU vs OU anymore. Spare us your righteous indignation over a game that wasn't a rivalry anymore long before we left the B1G.
pay the players or piss off with this take.

you know what nobody gives a sh*t about? a bunch of bloated academic bureaucrats padding their bottom line against a conf USA school.

poll every business owner in Lincoln and I guarantee it'd be a landslide vote to play OU vs play nobody at home. know why? THEY'RE FOOTBALL FANS!

we dodge this game, OU ain't coming to Lincoln in '22. that's a HUGE money maker.

your short-sightedness is embarrassing.

Nebraska plays one home game in September - Its the 11th. This comes on the heals of having no revenue in 2020. That has been devastating to the local economy and the Athletic Department.

The next scheduled home game for Nebraska is October 2nd.

Since Nebraska plays in Week 0, they may be looking to schedule a home game on September 4th, and then that would allow them a bye on September 18th.

Its a bad look.. I understand the angst, but Nebraska is trying to earn revenue. The team only has 7 home games scheduled in 2020.

Sometimes you just take the L in the pocketbook and on the field to avoid looking like cowards.

pay the players or piss off with this take.
Ummm we are paying the players. They're getting spending money every month for the "cost of attendance". That's a helluva lot better when added to room and board than what they could be taking home from the MickeyDs many of them would have been working at without a college athletic scholarship.

Sometimes you just take the L in the pocketbook and on the field to avoid looking like cowards.
Hmmm. Millions of dollars looking like cowards OR get your brains beat out and look like chumps while costing yourself 10-20 million in revenue for the school and city? I'll take the money.

Every single team... I mean every single D1, D2, D3, JUCO, NIAA school in the entire country has lost money due to COVID 19 financials. This is not an isolated event that took place. There is absolutely no excuse. You think the national backlash was bad last fall about wanting to play FB in the fall was bad? You havent seen anything yet.

Thats why tickets are over $300 right now. Sure, it may go down a bit, but the suggestion that nobody cares is exactly wrong.

Hmmm. Millions of dollars looking like cowards OR get your brains beat out and look like chumps while costing yourself 10-20 million in revenue for the school and city? I'll take the money.
take money now, forfeit multiples more later when OU cancels their trip to Lincoln.

wise move, indeed.

what a f'ing joke!

Reactions: dckchusker
these assh*les are forgetting OU is set to come to Lincoln in '22.

but, yea, please continue with the 'we need money now' takes.

penny wise & pound foolish to a T
And OU will gladly still come next year to thrash a B1G opponent gaining points for their national title run.

Basically, we suck. It's official.

But setting that aside....if that game was say, against some shitty team (name one, any one) would we still be trying to get out of it? I don't know the answer but this looks horrible.

And OU will gladly still come next year to thrash a B1G opponent gaining points for their national title run.
want to bet?

we cancel, there is zero chance they keep their end. who the F do you think leaked this in the first place??

OU hates NU as much as NU hates winning.

Thats why tickets are over $300 right now. Sure, it may go down a bit, but the suggestion that nobody cares is exactly wrong.
Secondary market ticket prices don't put money in the coffers of NU OR the city of Lincoln. Nationally nobody gives a sh## about NU vs OU and that's what drives TV revenue.

Basically, we suck. It's official.

But setting that aside....if that game was say, against some shitty team (name one, any one) would we still be trying to get out of it? I don't know the answer but this looks horrible.
It was official a long time ago. Time to accept the hard reality of the current situation.

I am a visitor to your board, but just dropped by to say how EXCITED that I am for this year's upcoming OU/NU game.....and hopes for a renewal of that rivalry. Though I love college football, the loss of the OU/NU rivalry is something that I lament greatly. I grew up with that rivalry and cherished those games like none other. I have made four trips to Lincoln for those games (1983, 1987, 2005, 2009) and can recount the plays and players that impacted each. The games in 1983 and 1987 that I attended as a teen will always be etched in my mind.

Even though OU & NU are scheduled to play four times this decade, it won't be enough. If you put truth serum in me, my wish is that these four games can be a catalyst to bring Nebraska back to the Big XII where it rightfully belongs. The old issues that resulted in the parting of ways have been somewhat resolved. My perception is that Tom Osborne's distaste for Texas' outsized influence was the driving force for the departure. But in the past decade, Texas has been humbled, the Longhorn Network likely won't be renewed by ESPN, and there is new leadership in Austin. -- Along with OU, Nebraska needs to be playing the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and OSU.....who they have geographic and cultural alignment with in lieu of the likes of Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, etc. in which they don't. Yes, there might be more money available to NU with the Big 10, but there would be a restoration of a former Nebraska recruiting base (texas), a perceived happier fan base, less travel.....and a chance to reclaim a conference heritage it helped create. If this past fall events have proven anything, it is that the Big 10 takes Nebraska for granted and is not treated on the same footing as the other powers. If Nebraska came back to the Big XII (and partnered with perhaps a BYU in an north division), it would be a win-win for all.

In the meantime, let's all start getting excited about what OU and NU attain this season....which is a chance to battle it out again on the gridiron. Honoring the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century is something we all have looked forward to. Too many of those great players are dying off each year. Honoring them is only part of it.....but honoring the greatest that was the OU/NU rivalry is even more important. I believe these four games this decade will give us all a taste of something we want more.

Boomer!
GOAT level troll job.

want to bet?

we cancel, there is zero chance they keep their end. who the F do you think leaked this in the first place??

OU hates NU as much as NU hates winning.
Meh. Don't care. I never liked the scheduling of this to begin with. I was over OU long before we left the B1G. They dumped us in order to keep their rivalry with Texas. Screw em. I'm all for doing what is best for NU's program, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. That rivalry was over after the Big 8 died.

Secondary market ticket prices don't put money in the coffers of NU OR the city of Lincoln. Nationally nobody gives a sh## about NU vs OU and that's what drives TV revenue.

Of course they do. It would matter more if we won more than we lost, but NU still has a good following, and OU is OU, so . . .

Meh. Don't care. I never liked the scheduling of this to begin with. I was over OU long before we left the B1G. They dumped us in order to keep their rivalry with Texas. Screw em. I'm all for doing what is best for NU's program, the city of Lincoln, and the state of Nebraska. That rivalry was over after the Big 8 died.
playing a nobody as a cash grab while forfeiting a marquee non-con home and home is absolutely not what's best for our program

we haven't been to a bowl in 4 years. we haven't beaten anyone in 20. people watch OU. they don't watch us.

recruits watch OU. they don't watch us.

this is as short sighted a decision as anyone will ever see. the fact you, or anyone, thinks it's the right move is why we are where we are in the first place. it's a LOSER MOVE, and there's no two ways about it.

I would be stunned if we kept it inside of 4 touchdowns.
This is sad but true.

NU vs OU used to be like a heavyweight boxing matchup.

NU is now a flyweight going up against light heavyweight OU.

Apologize ahead of time to OU fans that have followed and miss this rivalry game. I wish we could bring more to this upcoming game but we simply have no Offensive firepower. Maybe if we play again in 10 years? (Big maybe if Frost is still here).

This is sad but true.

NU vs OU used to be like a heavyweight boxing matchup.

NU is now a flyweight going up against light heavyweight OU.

Apologize ahead of time to OU fans that have followed and miss this rivalry game. I wish we could bring more to this upcoming game but we simply have no Offensive firepower. Maybe if we play again in 10 years? (Big maybe if Frost is still here).
scott frost should be embarrassed to refer to himself as a Nebraskan and should be booed mercilessly every time he steps out his front door

Reactions: Bruce1981
If this turns out to actually be a thing, it's a sad day.

What's next, backing out of playing a bowl game? Having the entire team quit on the field because it's cold?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
If NU backs out of the game I will seriously reconsider how much or if I care anymore as a fan. I would rather lose 100-0 than see NU back out of a game that was once the pivotal matchup of a college football season. Moving to the Big 10 changed NU in a lot of ways and I have for a few years been feeling like the program has lost its identity. This move would cement it for me.

I will never forget what a Friday after TG meant when I was a kid. I was almost shaking with anticipation. Once the game got started it was the hardest fight you'd see all season from both teams.

Last edited:
Maybe they're doing this to build the confidence of the team? I learned that squeeking by terrible programs in year 4 is a tremendous confidence boost. Who knows how high we will fly after knocking off Alabama State. This is a genius-level move.

If NU backs out of the game I will seriously reconsider how much or if I care anymore as a fan. I would rather lose 100-0 than see NU back out of a game that was once the pivotal matchup of a college football season. Moving to the Big 10 changed NU in a lot of ways and I have for a few years been feeling like the program has lost its identity. This move would cement it for me.
Yep.

Been in Frost's corner to this point.

But it's getting pretty effing hard trying to believe he's not 100% full of shit with each passing decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT