ADVERTISEMENT

Matt "Bo Pelini Jr" Campbell would likely be very average in the B1G

glaciersx

Walk On
Oct 4, 2021
lets look at his performance against Iowa and teams that are most like your middle of the road Big 10 teams (TCU, OSU, K-State, Baylor) and consider a 3 TD game as a blowout

TCU L (blown out)
OSU L
KSU L
Baylor L
Iowa - L (blown out)

*should also note they lost to FCS Northern Iowa this year

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L

Baylor - W
Iowa - L

*beat Northern Iowa by 14 this year

TCU - L
OSU - W
KSU - W
Baylor - W

Iowa - L

*didn't have to play their vaunted rival Northern Iowa this year

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L
Baylor - L
Iowa - L

*got taken to 3OT by Northern Iowa

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - W
Baylor - W

*played neither Iowa nor Northern Iowa, happens to be their best season.

OSU - W
KSU - W

Baylor - L
Iowa - L (late score by ISU made the game look closer than it was)

*beat Northern Iowa by 6

that's 10-16 against teams that likely wouldn't sniff the CCG most years.

while his tendency to snag an upset win is attractive, the fact that he has been stagnant for the past 5 years in a relatively weak conference makes me skeptical that he hasn't already reached his ceiling.

Last edited:
lets look at his performance against Iowa and teams that are most like your middle of the road Big 10 teams (TCU, OSU, K-State, Baylor) and consider a 3 TD game as a blowout

TCU L (blown out)
OSU L
KSU L
Baylor L
Iowa - L (blown out)

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L

Baylor - W
Iowa - L

TCU - L
OSU - W
KSU - W
Baylor - W

Iowa - L

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L
Baylor - L
Iowa - L

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - W
Baylor - W

OSU - TBD
KSU - W
Baylor - TBD

*beat Northern Iowa by 6

while his tendency to snag an upset win is attractive, the fact that he has been stagnant for the past 5 years in a relatively weak conference makes me skeptical that he hasn't already reached his ceiling.
Cherry pick much?

TCU L (blown out)
OSU L
KSU L
Baylor L
Iowa - L (blown out)

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L

Baylor - W
Iowa - L

TCU - L
OSU - W
KSU - W
Baylor - W

Iowa - L

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L
Baylor - L
Iowa - L

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - W
Baylor - W

OSU - TBD
KSU - W
Baylor - TBD

*beat Northern Iowa by 6

The fact that you spent the time you did researching him to post this on a Husker board says all we need to know.

> winless against B1G teams
> lost to an FCS school

you tell me.
This is Matt's 6th season at Iowa State.

Winning conference records: So far 4 out of 5 complete seasons. Currently has a winning conference record in the 6th season.

Wins by Matt Campbell at Iowa State:

9 wins against ranked teams

San Jose State, Kansas, Texas Tech
Northern Iowa, Arkon, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor Memphis
Arkon, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas Baylor, Kansas State, Drake
Northern Iowa, Lous. Monroe, TCU, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Texas, Kansas,
TCU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas, West Virginia, Oregon

and current season is going on.

Are you sure you want to continue on with this discussion?

Is Matt Campbell better than Scott Frost? Hell yes.

Is Matt Cambell the best candidate out there that could replace Scott Frost? Not likely.

In the end, Matt would be a massive upgrade over Scott Frost. hell, since Scott Frost is the worst coach at the P5 level statistically, it's not hard to get anyone better.

lets look at his performance against Iowa and teams that are most like your middle of the road Big 10 teams (TCU, OSU, K-State, Baylor) and consider a 3 TD game as a blowout 2016 TCU L (blown out) OSU L KSU L Baylor L Iowa - L (blown out) *should also note they lost to FCS Northern Iowa this year 2017 TCU - W OSU - L KSU - L Baylor - W Iowa - L *beat Northern Iowa by 14 this year 2018 TCU - L OSU - W KSU - W Baylor - W Iowa - L *didn't have to play their vaunted rival Northern Iowa this year 2019 TCU - W OSU - L KSU - L Baylor - L Iowa - L *got taken to 3OT by Northern Iowa 2020 TCU - W OSU - L KSU - W Baylor - W *played neither Iowa nor Northern Iowa, happens to be their best season. 2021 OSU - TBD KSU - W Baylor - TBD Iowa - L (late score by ISU made the game look closer than it was) *beat Northern Iowa by 6 that's 10-16 against teams that likely wouldn't sniff the CCG most years. while his tendency to snag an upset win is attractive, the fact that he has been stagnant for the past 5 years in a relatively weak conference makes me skeptical that he hasn't already reached his ceiling.
iowa…state.

This is Matt's 6th season at Iowa State.

Winning conference records: So far 4 out of 5 complete seasons. Currently has a winning conference record in the 6th season.

Wins by Matt Campbell at Iowa State:

9 wins against ranked teams

San Jose State, Kansas, Texas Tech
Northern Iowa, Arkon, Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor Memphis
Arkon, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas Baylor, Kansas State, Drake
Northern Iowa, Lous. Monroe, TCU, West Virginia, Texas Tech, Texas, Kansas,
TCU, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Kansas, Baylor, Kansas State, Texas, West Virginia, Oregon

and current season is going on.

Are you sure you want to continue on with this discussion?
Absolutely, quality post and evidence to back it up.

personally, I believe he hasn’t been made to compete against schedules like ours.

is the 0-5 against Iowa not a glaring red flag to you?

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
I like Fickell better at the moment, but I'd be happy with Campbell as well. He gets his players to play hard with discipline and accountability, which is a huge upgrade from Frost.

Reactions: Red I 73
I like Fickell better at the moment, but I'd be happy with Campbell as well. He gets his players to play hard with discipline and accountability, which is a huge upgrade from Frost.
Fickell would be great - would also love Kyle Whittingham .. doubt either would consider Nebraska

Absolutely, quality post and evidence to back it up.

personally, I believe he hasn’t been made to compete against schedules like ours.

is the 0-5 against Iowa not a glaring red flag to you?
Brohm has only lost once to Iowa. Sometimes coaches struggle against one team.

Put Matt Campbell as the coach with the current Nebraska roster and this would be a top 15 ranked team.

If Iowa State beats Oklahoma State, are you going to post in this thread on Sunday?

None of those teams are consistently better than Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota. In fact, they’re almost never better.

trading a guy who can’t win the west for another guy who can’t win the west
Minnesota is not a good team and Matt has defeated much better teams than Minnesota.

Campbell has done a really good job at ISU. ISU is the 2nd toughest place to win in the Big XII and he's had a winning record in conference every year except the first. He's won at the G6 level and now the P5 level. He'd be a great hire if we could get him.

ISU is favored by 7 tomorrow to beat Okie State. Might have another quality win this weekend.

The fact that you spent the time you did researching him to post this on a Husker board says all we need to know.

looks like nearly 40 people on here voted him to be the best replacement for Frost. feel free to return to whatever hole you crawled out of.

Fickell is a whole tier above Campbell right now. Fickell could probably name his price at a number of schools, doubt the same is true for Matt Campbell.

Brohm has only lost once to Iowa. Sometimes coaches struggle against one team.

interesting you bring up Brohm. another coach who succeeded in G5, and enjoys middling success at a lower tier P5 with the occasional upset. probably a good picture of how his Iowa State team would fare in the B1G. Purdue is clearly the better team this year given they have the same record, but Purdue has an impressive win over a common opponent.

Put Matt Campbell as the coach with the current Nebraska roster and this would be a top 15 ranked team.

sounds too similar to the Mike Riley koolaid for my liking.

If Iowa State beats Oklahoma State, are you going to post in this thread on Sunday?

absolutely, the lady is an OkSt alum so I'll be tuning in. should be a pretty close game, an emotional come from behind game like they had against Texas probably exacted a toll. I'll be impressed by Iowa State's team resiliency if they can pull this one out after a rocky start to the year.

Minnesota is not a good team and Matt has defeated much better teams than Minnesota.

don't be silly. I hate Minnesota and Fleck as much as anyone, but the 11-2 Minnesota team they fielded when they were healthy and not in a COVID year would run through the Big 12 with ease. the fact that that same 11-2 team was maybe the 4th or 5th best team in the B1G is even more testament that the Big 12 is weak in comparison.

looks like nearly 40 people on here voted him to be the best replacement for Frost. feel free to return to whatever hole you crawled out of.

Fickell is a whole tier above Campbell right now. Fickell could probably name his price at a number of schools, doubt the same is true for Matt Campbell.

interesting you bring up Brohm. another coach who succeeded in G5, and enjoys middling success at a lower tier P5 with the occasional upset. probably a good picture of how his Iowa State team would fare in the B1G. Purdue is clearly the better team this year given they have the same record, but Purdue has an impressive win over a common opponent.

sounds too similar to the Mike Riley koolaid for my liking.

absolutely, the lady is an OkSt alum so I'll be tuning in. should be a pretty close game, an emotional come from behind game like they had against Texas probably exacted a toll. I'll be impressed by Iowa State's team resiliency if they can pull this one out after a rocky start to the year.

don't be silly. I hate Minnesota and Fleck as much as anyone, but the 11-2 Minnesota team they fielded when they were healthy and not in a COVID year would run through the Big 12 with ease. the fact that that same 11-2 team was maybe the 4th or 5th best team in the B1G is even more testament that the Big 12 is weak in comparison.
That MN team had players currently starting in the NFL and they were not Fleck recruits. Is there a single draft pick on the Minnesota offense without their star RB? MN is an average P5 team last year and this year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
That MN team had players currently starting in the NFL and they were not Fleck recruits. Is there a single draft pick on the Minnesota offense without their star RB? MN is an average P5 team last year and this year.
you could make the same case for Iowa State with Breece Hall.

except they didn't lose him to injury, yet both teams are 4-2. Minnesota just happens to play in a tougher conference. The Bowling Green loss doesnt look great but neither does Campbell turning Northern Iowa into a rivalry game.

Is Matt Campbell better than Scott Frost? Hell yes.

Is Matt Cambell the best candidate out there that could replace Scott Frost? Not likely.

In the end, Matt would be a massive upgrade over Scott Frost. hell, since Scott Frost is the worst coach at the P5 level statistically, it's not hard to get anyone better.
Matt Campbell with resources would be something. He's squeezing every drop of juice out of that Iowa State lemon. Everyone has seen their inflatable tunnel Walk right?

• Haha
Reactions: Clonewithasigh
I like Matt Campbell but these days I'm skeptical of the fan favorites.
Yea. It's kind of scary how we all believed Frost to be the savior. I knew he was going to be the guy.

Now, I can at least look at his resume at UCF and be more critical.

In Trev's favor, he will pretty much have a clean slate to who he can hire and it will most likely be an "ok" hire at worst.

The Reilly hire was a unicorn of incompetence. If you go by past behavior/success determining future behavior/success, there was no logic to it at all. Even from an "anti-Bo" angle when you look at his record.

There are few candidates that have that amount of games to show you exactly what you are going to get.

Matt Campbell with resources would be something. He's squeezing every drop of juice out of that Iowa State lemon. Everyone has seen their inflatable tunnel Walk right?
> "squeezing every drop of juice"
> winless against in-state rival and turned an FCS team into a rival

only one can be true

Reactions: Sinomatic
There's no "fan favorite" to replace Scott Frost, which is a good thing. Get the best football coach possible.....be it the Baylor OC, Matt Campbell, etc.

Yea. It's kind of scary how we all believed Frost to be the savior. I knew he was going to be the guy.

Now, I can at least look at his resume at UCF and be more critical.

In Trev's favor, he will pretty much have a clean slate to who he can hire and it will most likely be an "ok" hire at worst.

The Reilly hire was a unicorn of incompetence. If you go by past behavior/success determining future behavior/success, there was no logic to it at all. Even from an "anti-Bo" angle when you look at his record.

There are few candidates that have that amount of games to show you exactly what you are going to get.
Sadly we had to say "USC wanted him at one time" to get excited about the MR hire.

Reactions: Sinomatic
There's no "fan favorite" to replace Scott Frost, which is a good thing. Get the best football coach possible.....be it the Baylor OC, Matt Campbell, etc.
both of those guys would have a losing record with our schedule this year.

Sadly we had to say "USC wanted him at one time" to get excited about the MR hire.
there was lots of "look what he achieved at this lower tier P5 school, he even got a few upsets, so imagine what he could do at Nebraska!" type talk that is sounding pretty familiar.

there was lots of "look what he achieved at this lower tier P5 school, he even got a few upsets, so imagine what he could do at Nebraska!" type talk that is sounding pretty familiar.
That is a guess-based opinion.

That is a guess-based opinion.
well yeah, thats how opinions work most of the time.

its a fact that Nebraska has played a tougher schedule. Ironically, Iowa State's two toughest opponents (one they already lost to, the other they're scheduled to lose to November 6th) are on Nebraska's schedule.

i suppose we can compare how they did against common opponents and come to a reasonable conclusion at the end of the year

• Haha
Reactions: Clonewithasigh

There's no way to know that. Four years of discipline and development I'm sure we'd look a lot better than we are this year.

That was with a 60+ year old coach and he had dozens of years to pull off a better record. Matt Campbell should be nowhere in the same conversation as Mike Riley.

There's no way to know that. Four years of discipline and development I'm sure we'd look a lot better than we are this year.
Campbell's teams have been vaguely the same since 2017, hovering at 7-8 wins
That was with a 60+ year old coach and he had dozens of years to pull off a better record. Matt Campbell should be nowhere in the same conversation as Mike Riley.
actually, Mike Riley's W-L records after 6 years of rebuilding Oregon State (which only lasted 12 years, so "dozens" was incorrect) were better than Campbell's first 6 at Iowa State.

2003) 8-5
2004) 7-5
2005) 5-6
2006) 10-4
2007) 9-4
2008) 9-4

totals to 48-28, winning % of 0.632. was 5-0 in bowl games, and had a 3-3 record against his in-state rival in University of Oregon.

here's Campbell:

2016) 3-9
2017) 8-5
2018) 8-5
2019) 7-6
2020) 9-3
2021) 4-2

totals to 39-30, winning % of 0.565. 2-2 in bowl games. 0-5 against his in-state rival in Iowa.

ouch. maybe leave Riley out of this cuz that makes Campbell look even worse now. highly doubt Bo Pelini Jr ever gets to 10 wins at Iowa State.

Campbell's teams have been vaguely the same since 2017, hovering at 7-8 wins

actually, Mike Riley's W-L records after 6 years of rebuilding Oregon State (which only lasted 12 years, so "dozens" was incorrect) were better than Campbell's first 6 at Iowa State.

2003) 8-5
2004) 7-5
2005) 5-6
2006) 10-4
2007) 9-4
2008) 9-4

totals to 48-28, winning % of 0.632. was 5-0 in bowl games, and had a 3-3 record against his in-state rival in University of Oregon.

here's Campbell:

2016) 3-9
2017) 8-5
2018) 8-5
2019) 7-6
2020) 9-3
2021) 4-2

totals to 39-30, winning % of 0.565. 2-2 in bowl games. 0-5 against his in-state rival in Iowa.

ouch. maybe leave Riley out of this cuz that makes Campbell look even worse now. highly doubt Bo Pelini Jr ever gets to 10 wins at Iowa State.
Riley took over a better program though. If you are going to try and compare things, you have to give credit to where things were at when the coaches took over the program. Prior to Matt being hired at Iowa State they didn't win more than 3 games in a season. Oregon State had an 11 and 8 win season two out of the previous 3 seasons.

Matt is a better coach than Riley and Scott Frost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT