ADVERTISEMENT

Matt "Bo Pelini Jr" Campbell would likely be very average in the B1G

It's pretty easy to trend up when you've been the doormat for so long. Congrats on having Campbell make you look decent for a few years. He'll soon move on to a big boy school and you'll be back to what you really are.
Sure he will. LOL!! Try melatonin, as it just might help you.

Neb had their days just like Army did in the 40s. Everything changes and you are naive if don’t believe it. ISU is trending up and will continue that way, but I can understand the frustration that other programs experience. Their fans pray for things like coaches leaving because it allows them to sleep at night knowing their own staff and program are a bit of a dumpster fire. Good luck the rest of the way.
I am not talking about Nebraska. I am talking about Iowa St. you are on a Nebraska board puffing your chest about winning 9 games 1 time and how the Iowa St narrative has changed. I am telling you it hasn’t. You have a good coach that elevated your sorry program to slightly above average. When he leaves you will once again be a sorry program, unless you luck out in the hiring process again.

Jfc go to your own board. Funny how you disappeared around here after losing to Iowa.
You post a thread about Campbell on a free board and you get hot under the collar when a Cyclone shows up to refute the ignorance? Pay the subscription and talk amongst yourselves.

I am not talking about Nebraska. I am talking about Iowa St. you are on a Nebraska board puffing your chest about winning 9 games 1 time and how the Iowa St narrative has changed. I am telling you it hasn’t. You have a good coach that elevated your sorry program to slightly above average. When he leaves you will once again be a sorry program, unless you luck out in the hiring process again.
It is easy to get from A to B for me so don’t feign ignorance.

Great. so we have more money and more resources but still can't win as many games as Iowa St.
Well the good news is that the money and resources over the long term will probably lead to better results at NU. This dog won't stay down forever IMO. ISU hit on a head coach hire and in turn the head coach hit on some QBs he recruited. We have to recruit QBs with better decision making skills and more accurate arm talent. JMO.

The love boners that some fans have for this guy is unreal.
There are better coaches, but he would be an upgrade. Getting iowa state to be a consistent winner is impressive. They are freaking iowa state. I have no doubt he would be a big improvement.

The love boners that some fans have for this guy is unreal.

The hate boners some fans have for him is bizarre. He's beaten more Top 10 teams the last 5 years at lowly Iowa State, than the entire Nebraska Football team has beaten in the last 20 years. He's going to make a bowl for the 5th straight year at one of the worst Power 5 programs in the country.

The hate boners some fans have for him is bizarre. He's beaten more Top 10 teams the last 5 years at lowly Iowa State, than the entire Nebraska Football team has beaten in the last 20 years. He's going to make a bowl for the 5th straight year at one of the worst Power 5 programs in the country.
They had their best team in the history of their program this year, started off ranked in the top 10.

They now have 4 losses with a good shot at two more losses.

With that said, I love the term "Hate boners" and if you don't mind I will be stealing that!

One thing is for sure, the guy gets a shit ton of mileage out of beating Oklahoma in 2017.

Meanwhile they were 5-4 in the B12 that year and T4 in a 10 team round robin conference.

Took Covid for them to finish in the top 2 of the conference, and 2021 we are back to the norm. 4-3 in conference and yet another loss to in-state rival Iowa.

To me the real question with Campbell if he would take over a more prestigious program would be can he recruit to the level of the program. For the level of recruits he is able to land at ISU I think he has done a pretty solid job.

After losing to a team without a head coach I'm not so sure that Campbell is at the top of any lists for jobs at blue blood schools right now. LOL.

Getting iowa state to be a consistent winner is impressive. They are freaking iowa state. I have no doubt he would be a big improvement.
I hear this all the time but Paul Rhoads and Dan McCarney were able to achieve the same middling success of hovering near 7 wins with an occasional upset (see 2011 when they defeated Oklahoma State)

this really is more of the same from Iowa State, with maybe a tad more consistency. they are equivalent to the Purdue of the Big 12, except Purdue most assuredly stomps them today.

Remember when being “very average in the BIG” seemed like a bad thing?

You know you are a sad program when you start the season in the top 10 with people saying you might make the playoffs...then suffer your 4th loss with two games left and are unranked but you still pretend like it is a great season.

lets look at his performance against Iowa and teams that are most like your middle of the road Big 10 teams (TCU, OSU, K-State, Baylor) and consider a 3 TD game as a blowout

TCU L (blown out)
OSU L
KSU L
Baylor L
Iowa - L (blown out)

*should also note they lost to FCS Northern Iowa this year

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L

Baylor - W
Iowa - L

*beat Northern Iowa by 14 this year

TCU - L
OSU - W
KSU - W
Baylor - W

Iowa - L

*didn't have to play their vaunted rival Northern Iowa this year

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - L
Baylor - L
Iowa - L

*got taken to 3OT by Northern Iowa

TCU - W
OSU - L
KSU - W
Baylor - W

*played neither Iowa nor Northern Iowa, happens to be their best season.

OSU - W
KSU - W

Baylor - L
Iowa - L (late score by ISU made the game look closer than it was)

*beat Northern Iowa by 6

that's 10-16 against teams that likely wouldn't sniff the CCG most years.

while his tendency to snag an upset win is attractive, the fact that he has been stagnant for the past 5 years in a relatively weak conference makes me skeptical that he hasn't already reached his ceiling.
Dogging on Campbell when Frost is our coach? It’s like dogging on Nick Saban by a Texas fan.

Reactions: cheddarwurst
Dogging on Campbell when Frost is our coach? It’s like dogging on Nick Saban by a Texas fan.
idk how you can possibly relate some dude that turned an FCS team into a rival, has never beaten his in-state rival, and has never won a conference championship to who is easily the greatest football coach of all time. it's like bringing up Hitler in a political discussion. you do it to try and make a shocking statement that makes the other person feel dumb, but the reality is that there is an untouchable level of extremity to justify any such comparison.

I know it is. I find it to be a dumb topic since Frost is our coach. It reminds me of a fat guy calling another guy a fat slob.
yeah, well a bunch of idiots commenting on college football topics as they relate to Nebraska is both the point of this message board and how you found yourself here. maybe you're new to the board, but Campbell is an often discussed name when it comes to replacing Frost. I thought a contrasting opinion could be refreshing from the circle jerking over his 7 win seasons.

go play internet cop somewhere else if it makes you so emotional.

Reactions: RedMyMind
idk how you can possibly relate some dude that turned an FCS team into a rival, has never beaten his in-state rival, and has never won a conference championship to who is easily the greatest football coach of all time. it's like bringing up Hitler in a political discussion. you do it to try and make a shocking statement that makes the other person feel dumb, but the reality is that there is an untouchable level of extremity to justify any such comparison.

yeah, well a bunch of idiots commenting on college football topics as they relate to Nebraska is both the point of this message board and how you found yourself here. maybe you're new to the board, but Campbell is an often discussed name when it comes to replacing Frost. I thought a contrasting opinion could be refreshing from the circle jerking over his 7 win seasons.

go play internet cop somewhere else if it makes you so emotional.
Winning 7 at Iowa State is like winning a conference championship at Nebraska every year. Are we talking about the coach that won the Big 12 last year at Iowa State? How did Frost do?

Winning 7 at Iowa State is like winning a conference championship at Nebraska every year. Are we talking about the coach that won the Big 12 last year at Iowa State? How did Frost do?
before Campbell, they won 7 or more 6 times since Nebraska's last conference championship win. you're 0-2 on bad analogies.

and you're just flat wrong on winning the big 12 last year. why lie about something so easy to disprove?

I haven't seen Frost coach in the Big 12. I've seen him coach in a conference that prioritizes speedy guys over smash mouth football and he did pretty well. I've seen Campbell play Big 10 opponents, and he's lost every single time.

before Campbell, they won 7 or more 6 times since Nebraska's last conference championship win. you're 0-2 on bad analogies.

and you're just flat wrong on winning the big 12 last year. why lie about something so easy to disprove?

I haven't seen Frost coach in the Big 12. I've seen him coach in a conference that prioritizes speedy guys over smash mouth football and he did pretty well. I've seen Campbell play Big 10 opponents, and he's lost every single time.
It’s really ok to admit it. Frost is one of the worst head coaches in D-I. Once you come to terms with it, life is so much better. You should try it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT