ADVERTISEMENT

Is it really possible the Niners didn't know the new OT rules?

The 49ers not scoring a touchdown deprived us of a scene where they come running onto the field to celebrate the win….only to be told “games not over.”

Kind of a shame.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
The 9ers sure have been whiny b1tches throughout the super bowl process... Very bad look for what some consider one of the more historically noteworthy teams of the league.

Sounds like both teams were educated plenty before the game. Nobody's fault but their own if they didn't understand or you, just win outright to avoid ot to begin with lmao.

Just a classic Shanahan 2nd half meltdown, along with a clinic on patient coaching put on by one of the GOATS in Andy Reid!
It's not just the Super Bowl
That's who they are.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yep. CMC getting like 7 yards a carry and you fully abandon the run? That loss is squarely on the head coach for whatever he was trying to do in that 3rd Quarter. They could have ended the game if they just kept running it.
He had 22 carries and averaged 3.4 per. Not 7.

He took the ball because his defense was gassed.

The Chiefs won because Reid started calling plays for players. Ironically, had Mahomes scanned the field with their one last shot He would have seen a wide open Rice and just won it in regulation.

I was never nervous

The Chiefs won because Reid started calling plays for players. Ironically, had Mahomes scanned the field with their one last shot He would have seen a wide open Rice and just won it in regulation.

I was never nervous

You jnow that play doesn't get the attention it should. Don't tell me Mahomes didn't see it...he just went a different direction. Not sure why.

no dumber than the 9'rs taking the ball first in ot
could be not thinking about it made the catch easy like a practice
Wasn't dumb. They were trying to set themselves up for sudden death.

Think about it...two evenly matched teams that ended up with a tie at the end of regulation. Chances are pretty good that the first OT session will also end up tied. Then the Niners would have had the ball first in a sudden death situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66

I was never nervous
I’m not talking OT. The first half CMC was run I g well. The 3rd Q the head coach comes out and just throws it all over instead of running. That’s what lost them the game. That 3rd Q was full on Shanahan

Why was he a goofball. He ran on the field, and it popped. Could have happened at any time. It's not like he was doing stupid crap when it happened.
Did you not see him jumping around as if he was blitzing the QB - just to simply take the field?

Looked pretty goofy to me lol

no dumber than the 9'rs taking the ball first in ot
could be not thinking about it made the catch easy like a practice
As has been mentioned, the 49ers defense needed a rest. Doesn’t matter, going into overtime is like a 0 - 0 score. You have to win the overtime.

It is a lot of "ifs", but per Shanahan, that was his reasoning. Right or wrong.

If he holds KC to a FG or if SF had scored a TD, then it comes off as a smart move.
That's right, always a bunch of "ifs" involved. IF the guy would have made a better block, the play would have gained more yards but since it didn't, it was a bad play call. Same with this entire scenario. If Mahomes throws a pick or there is a fumble, you go, SF made the right choice but this way everyone can second guess the decision and come across as smarter than an NFL coach.

The 49ers not scoring a touchdown deprived us of a scene where they come running onto the field to celebrate the win….only to be told “games not over.”

Kind of a shame.
I think it was Mahomes who said he had to tell his WR that caught the final TD pass that catch ended the game. He apparently didn't know as well.

For those who who think coaches make this up as they go along, they plan for every conceivable situation and have a set of plays for it. 4th down, OT, two point conversions, everything, is planned and practiced for. Shoot we did it in HS ball, these guys will have the nuts and bolts down to the nats butt.

I’m not talking OT. The first half CMC was run I g well. The 3rd Q the head coach comes out and just throws it all over instead of running. That’s what lost them the game. That 3rd Q was full on Shanahan
McCaffrey got 80 yards on 22 carries yesterday for a 3.63 YPC. His regular season average is 5.4.

People know Chris Jones, but the rest of that d line is pretty salty and plugged those gaps all game. He’s a great player, but not much of a factor for their offense yesterday. The holes just weren’t there.

I think it was Mahomes who said he had to tell his WR that caught the final TD pass that catch ended the game. He apparently didn't know as well.

For those who who think coaches make this up as they go along, they plan for every conceivable situation and have a set of plays for it. 4th down, OT, two point conversions, everything, is planned and practiced for. Shoot we did it in HS ball, these guys will have the nuts and bolts down to the nats butt.
That play is hard to defend. They ran it successfully against the Eagles last year and then again last night to win the game, even though I’m sure they expected to see it.

Would not and didn't matter really.

They lost that game for 2 main reasons. Greenlaw getting hurt and then idiotic play calling in the entire 3rd quarter. Shanahan is great but he has periods of time he goes brain dead.
I'm a Rams fan and McVay does the same $h!t. He is an offensive genius about 85% of the time but the other 15% makes you scratch your head as to what he was thinking. Sometime guys like them just overthink everything.

That's right, always a bunch of "ifs" involved. IF the guy would have made a better block, the play would have gained more yards but since it didn't, it was a bad play call. Same with this entire scenario. If Mahomes throws a pick or there is a fumble, you go, SF made the right choice but this way everyone can second guess the decision and come across as smarter than an NFL coach.
Right, I'm sure coaches don't play the "if" card more than once per game in their decision making, haha!

EDIT: re-reading your post, I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not (shrug).

You jnow that play doesn't get the attention it should. Don't tell me Mahomes didn't see it...he just went a different direction. Not sure why.
On that play in regulation Mahomes was trying to get rid of that ball quickly. It's why he didn't scan the field. There were 10 seconds left. The hope was to run another play after that and then take the the fg if neither play worked.

After the first play, I think Reid said, "Screw it. Take the points now.

Why didn't the Chefs stop the clock after Kelce's first down in OT at the three?
It was 1st and goal, wasn't it?

They could have had three chances at a win instead of one.
Not that it mattered since it was scripted, but still.

Reactions: drubendall
Yep. CMC getting like 7 yards a carry and you fully abandon the run? That loss is squarely on the head coach for whatever he was trying to do in that 3rd Quarter. They could have ended the game if they just kept running it.
Same thing the Ravens did. Shocker 🙄

Right, I'm sure coaches don't play the "if" card more than once per game in their decision making, haha!

EDIT: re-reading your post, I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not (shrug).
It is every play. I have never seen a pro play book but I have seen college books. The average joe would think he is in trig class sitting in on some meetings with all the terminology. When plays are drawn up, now this is a shocker I know, they always work. The "if" comes in when everyone on D is where you thought they were going to be and everyone on O does what they are suppose to do.

That's why I get so frustrated with the constant "play calling" diatribe. Good grief, there are a ton of decisions that are made presnap and then each one has to be executed. A LB jumps into the hole by accident and occupies a guy who was supposed to kick out. The play bombs so is it the play call or the D or O's execution?

Reactions: HuskerO
Why didn't the Chefs stop the clock after Kelce's first down in OT at the three?
It was 1st and goal, wasn't it?

They could have had three chances at a win instead of one.
Not that it mattered since it was scripted, but still.
The clock didn't matter. If it had ran out the game wouldn't have ended. It would have gone to another quarter. You have to score and stop in postseason.

Been saying for a while the Chiefs D is second best in the entire league...then tack on the worlds best QB, TE, and a great FG kicker plus oh yeah...Andy freaking Reid....not sure why so many loved the Niners in that game so much.
9ers have a lot of weapons on offense and defense. I could have seen them winning it.

Probably the 2 best overall teams in the league and they were dang near totally even.

Probably the biggest anomaly was the kicker missing the extra point. That and the punt off the ankle were probably the difference in the game.

9ers have a lot of weapons on offense and defense. I could have seen them winning it.

Probably the 2 best overall teams in the league and they were dang near totally even.

Probably the biggest anomaly was the kicker missing the extra point. That and the punt off the ankle were probably the difference in the game.
Give credit to kc special teams they blocked the extra point the kicker didn’t shank it was blocked

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Shanahan had lost what, 3 SBs now at two different stops as a HC? He lost the first two by going super conservative in the second half, everyone b1tches about him almost running the ball exclusively.

This SB he tried the opposite and still failed, and people are b1tching he should've kept running the ball instead of passing to go for the kill. Lol people are funny.

McCaffrey was much more dangerous in the passing game than the running game, which the Chiefs d clearly prepared to stop. McCaffrey was looking pretty damn tired in the 4th quarter, and backup was just doing ok.

I don't blame Shanahan for trying to get after it compared to prior championship games. But the Chiefs D came to play and did really well overall while Mahomes did what Mahomes always does, especially post season.

Shanahan had lost what, 3 SBs now at two different stops as a HC? He lost the first two by going super conservative in the second half, everyone b1tches about him almost running the ball exclusively.

This SB he tried the opposite and still failed, and people are b1tching he should've kept running the ball instead of passing to go for the kill. Lol people are funny.

McCaffrey was much more dangerous in the passing game than the running game, which the Chiefs d clearly prepared to stop. McCaffrey was looking pretty damn tired in the 4th quarter, and backup was just doing ok.

I don't blame Shanahan for trying to get after it compared to prior championship games. But the Chiefs D came to play and did really well overall while Mahomes did what Mahomes always does, especially post season.
Shanahan wasn’t the falcons head coach, he was the OC.

Duh.

Reactions: RBigredMax
the entire 3rd quarter. Got totally away with what worked. CM touching the ball 2 times can't happen in the super bowl for an entire quarter.

Some of it was he was outcoached by the Chiefs DC badly.
Bingo! The best player on the field needs to find touches

Out of 70 snaps he had 30 touches. They tried getting him the ball more through the air because the ground game wasn't there after the first possession
Exactly. You’re missing the point of everyone taking about not utilizing him in the third quarter. He had two touches. Can’t believe they didn’t get him the ball after the Mahomes pick

NEVER in college. Always go last.
There is an argument to go first in college and the Statistics show that as it is about 50/50 on who wins based on who takes the ball first in college. I think most teams should choose defense, I do see lots of pressure on teams to match and seeing them fail, so I understand the occasional team choosing offense.

Defense is the safer player, but there is an argument in college to go offense first.

Wasn't dumb. They were trying to set themselves up for sudden death.

Think about it...two evenly matched teams that ended up with a tie at the end of regulation. Chances are pretty good that the first OT session will also end up tied. Then the Niners would have had the ball first in a sudden death situation.
Think about it. If the success of your plan requires a tie score, then it’s a terrible plan.

I heard a quote that KC would have gone for 2 if 49ers got a TD on their drive. Oops, the genius plan didn’t account for that.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Think about it. If the success of your plan requires a tie score, then it’s a terrible plan.

I heard a quote that KC would have gone for 2 if 49ers got a TD on their drive. Oops, the genius plan didn’t account for that.
Correct. Deferring and going for 2 is the correct plan to win. You also get to use all four downs to accomplish this feat

Reactions: HuskerAlum92
Correct. Deferring and going for 2 is the correct plan to win. You also get to use all four downs to accomplish this feat
A lot of other factors come into play. The 49er's defense was just on the field for a long drive and gave up the tying score.

You want to defer and put them right back out there? Plus, you get the ball first if sudden death occurs so taking the ball was the right call and almost always is.

Had the situation been reversed I can almost guarantee the Chiefs take the ball first. Plus, if they won the toss in that game, they for sure would have gone first for the reason above.

Either way it probably doesn't matter they were holding/tackling the SF defense line on key plays with zero holding calls late in the game and OT. They were "destine" to win.

• Haha
Exactly. You’re missing the point of everyone taking about not utilizing him in the third quarter. He had two touches. Can’t believe they didn’t get him the ball after the Mahomes pick
Kyle was saving him for the end of the game. CMAC was clearly wearing down. They have other playmakers upset about not getting targets too. Aiyuk is signaling he wants out.

Reactions: Bruce1981
Kyle was saving him for the end of the game. CMAC was clearly wearing down. They have other playmakers upset about not getting targets too. Aiyuk is signaling he wants out.

If i'm into futures betting for the SB winner for next year I think i'm taking a pause on SF right now...maybe i'm reading to much into their actions but it seems like there's some infighting and unhappy players here...

Whether I agree with it or not, I can kind of see Shanahan's logic in taking the ball first in OT. But I still think he completely crapped the bed by throwing a fade pattern on 3rd and goal from the 4 - a play that just screamed, "we're content to get a FG."

And yeah, yeah, I know Chris Jones blew up the play, so I'll probably get a stern finger-wagging from the die-hards who relentlessly swear there are no bad play calls, only bad execution. But Chris Jones is one of the best D-Linemen in the game, so I would expect him to get in the QB's face on that play.

As soon as that play ended, the Niners were cooked. With four downs to work with, no way the Chiefs were going to get zero points on their OT possession.

Whether I agree with it or not, I can kind of see Shanahan's logic in taking the ball first in OT. But I still think he completely crapped the bed by throwing a fade pattern on 3rd and goal from the 4 - a play that just screamed, "we're content to get a FG."

And yeah, yeah, I know Chris Jones blew up the play, so I'll probably get a stern finger-wagging from the die-hards who relentlessly swear there are no bad play calls, only bad execution. But Chris Jones is one of the best D-Linemen in the game, so I would expect him to get in the QB's face on that play.

As soon as that play ended, the Niners were cooked. With four downs to work with, no way the Chiefs were going to get zero points on their OT possession.
Chris Jones did nothing really but run at the QB. No one blocked him. That was on the SF line not a great play by Jones.

Purdy still could have thrown that ball much better than he did. Plus, Ayuk was running wide open over the middle. All he had to do was glance and lob it to him. I am a Purdy fan but that was not a good play at all by him and the OL really botched it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT