ADVERTISEMENT

Implications of Nebraska parents lawsuit

Why do you think we are #21? And why do you think the rest of the B1G teams are ranked high? It's because we are getting $53 million from the B1G every year. Or whatever the outlandish number is now. As a member of the B1G, we benefit more than any other league being a member.

To my knowledge the B1G Conference doesn't benefit from our licensing fees or ticket fees. They benefit from putting us on TV every week, but how much longer will they continue to benefit as much if we keep having losing seasons?

If Warren is negotiating the next media rights deal,
then we are all in B1G trouble.

I'm fine going back to the Big 12...eventually. But I don't want to do it until we are beating some of the best that the B1G has to offer. Leaving right now, we would look like we have a yellow streak the width of the Missouri River running down our back.

Nebraska has beaten every team in the B1G... just saying.

but we still sell out every home football game and our basketball attendance ranked #11 last year and TV market is extremely high and all of this with a horrible teams in basketball and football. Wait until we have winning teams again. The tv market share will kill. We still bring more to the table financially from sports to the B1G then most schools and let’s not even talk about Maryland and Rutgers. They are a long term investment in which it will take a very long time for the B1G to really return anything from them
Sounds like our fans are a bunch of suckers with nothing else to do.

Nebraska has beaten every team in the B1G... just saying.

You're "just saying" very little with that comment. The truth is pretty painful to see...

"COLUMBUS Ohio - Former Big Eight/Twelve power Nebraska enters Saturday’s game against Ohio State ranked seventh among the 14 Big Ten schools for winning percentage since entering the league in 2011.

Nebraska’s 38-30 league record (.559) ties the Cornhuskers with Northwestern and just behind Iowa (39-29, .574) during the nine seasons."

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/...n-state-rutgers-maryland-buckeye-numbers.html

You're "just saying" very little with that comment. The truth is pretty painful to see...

"COLUMBUS Ohio - Former Big Eight/Twelve power Nebraska enters Saturday’s game against Ohio State ranked seventh among the 14 Big Ten schools for winning percentage since entering the league in 2011.

Nebraska’s 38-30 league record (.559) ties the Cornhuskers with Northwestern and just behind Iowa (39-29, .574) during the nine seasons."

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/...n-state-rutgers-maryland-buckeye-numbers.html

Nebraska has beaten every B1G team. Am I incorrect? Nebraska is middle of the pack so does Moos get to complain a little? I know he gets to complain a lot about volleyball with your approval, but how much can he complain about football.

Any coherent thoughts about SEC, ACC, Big 12 playing this fall? Aforementioned letter has requested data B1G used to determine football is unsafe this fall. Do you not agree that Warren should be more transparent, or do you enjoy the secrecy?

If Warren is negotiating the next media rights deal,
then we are all in B1G trouble.

Hehe, you're probably right. I don't like how he has handled this either, but he is just relaying what he had been told to say. Academians made this choice.

What astounds me is that we are allowing tens of thousands of students back on campus, which will no doubt create many more new cases of this virus in the B1G footprint than 150 football players on each campus. That just makes no sense whatsoever.

If you're going to shut down in-person classes, and go 100% virtual learning, then I could understand shutting down football, but allowing all the students back and not having football makes no sense.

Reactions: arf_man
Hehe, you're probably right. I don't like how he has handled this either, but he is just relaying what he had been told. Academians made this choice.

What astounds me is that we are allowing tens of thousands of students back on campus, which will no doubt create many more new cases of this virus in the B1G footprint than 150 football players on each campus. That just makes no sense whatsoever.

If you're going to shut down in-person classes, and go 100% virtual learning, then I could understand shutting down football, but allowing all the students back and not having football makes no sense.

100% agree with you here.

Nebraska has beaten every B1G team. Am I incorrect? Nebraska is middle of the pack so does Moos get to complain a little? I know he gets to complain a lot about volleyball with your approval, but how much can he complain about football.

Any coherent thoughts about SEC, ACC, Big 12 playing this fall? Aforementioned letter has requested data B1G used to determine football is unsafe this fall. Do you not agree that Warren should be more transparent, or do you enjoy the secrecy?

I agree that it would be nice to see the data, but as a school, we can't completely lose our shit because we can't play football this year. When they say "act like you've been there," it also means be a professional organization.

If we were #1 or 2 on that list, we can be more vocal. As is, it's time to shut down the responses to the B1G and be a professional member of the conference.

Why do you think we are #21? And why do you think the rest of the B1G teams are ranked high? It's because we are getting $53 million from the B1G every year. Or whatever the outlandish number is now. As a member of the B1G, we benefit more than any other league being a member.

Edit - To my knowledge the B1G Conference doesn't benefit from our licensing fees or ticket fees. They benefit from putting us on TV every week, but how much longer will they continue to benefit as much if we keep having losing seasons?
$53MM across the the board for the B1G so when comparing to B1G schools revenue & expenses to other B1G revenue & expense (which is what I’m doing) that $53mm is a non factor ( a wash).

and having Nebraska’s fan base as viewers of the BTN helps the BTN and the conference and ultimately that creates more revenues. They are better with us then without us. And likewise we are better with them without. It’s a win win forever one. We sure create more viewers of the BTN then most schools do. also you can’t just say if we weren’t in the B1G we’d lose $53 MM. we’d be out for sure but we’d have revenues from other channels too. We’d be on Fox Sports more, etc

lastly - how long will our fan base keep being supportive? Well our basketball program has never been good and it still drawls. Teams like the Cubs thrived for years in attendance but weren’t very good. Plus there’s a younger generation of husker fans who have never experienced success in football and still strongly support the program. We just aren’t bandwagon fans. I know that winning and fan support go hand and hand at most universities, but at Nebraska, the numbers kind of show we will still support the program no matter what

I’m sorry but you make us seem like a charity case for the B1G but we aren’t. We are an asset to the athletics and eventually it will even show in wins and losses

lastly - how long will our fan base keep being supportive? Well our basketball program has never been good and it still drawls. Teams like the Cubs thrived for years in attendance but weren’t very good. Plus there’s a younger generation of husker fans who have never experienced success in football and still strongly support the program. We just aren’t bandwagon fans. I know that winning and fan support go hand and hand at most universities, but at Nebraska, the numbers kind of show we will still support the program no matter what
Until something better comes along because Nebraska is the only game in town.

I recall a week or so ago a story from someone talking to a Minnesota Gophers fan about why they weren't upset about the conference not playing. The response was they "still have the Vikings."

Until something better comes along because Nebraska is the only game in town.

I recall a week or so ago a story from someone talking to a Minnesota Gophers fan about why they weren't upset about the conference not playing. The response was they "still have the Vikings."
Make no mistake, in Minnesota there’s only one show in town too. It just ain’t the Gophers. Last year was the only time I’ve ever seen Minnesota University have a solid showing in fan support and that could have been just a fluke year

Reactions: saluno22
I’m glad there weren’t a lot guys like you during revolutionary days. C’mon guys let’s just do what the British tell us to do.

LOL - Scott Frost was squaking about playing football this fall outside the big ten if needed, the day prior to the decision to postpone the season. That bravado lasted about 48 hours and I’m not sure he has been heard from since. If Frosty was in charge of the revolution he would have hid in the closet with the first appearance of the red coats and we would all currently be settling in tonight with our cup of tea to watch football - and by football I mean soccer

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
LOL - Scott Frost was squaking about playing football this fall outside the big ten if needed, the day prior to the decision to postpone the season. That bravado lasted about 48 hours and I’m not sure he has been heard from since. If Frosty was in charge of the revolution he would have hid in the closet with the first appearance of the red coats and we would all currently be settling in tonight with our cup of tea to watch football - and by football I mean soccer
What exactly do you think Frost should have done after Warren said no to playing in the fall if Nebraska wants to stay in the B1G? Threaten to shoot Warren if he doesn’t relent and let Nebraska play in the fall?

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
What exactly do you think Frost should have done after Warren said no to playing the in fall if Nebraska wants to stay in the B1G? Threaten to shoot Warren if he didn’t relent and let Nebraska play in the fall?

the post I was replying to made reference to the revolution - breaking away from the governing body that you disagree with

the quote in the referenced post

I’m glad there weren’t a lot guys like you during revolutionary days. C’mon guys let’s just do what the British tell us to do.

we haven’t heard squat since the BIG said if you play this fall it won’t be as part of the big ten - we are doing what the conference tells us to do

The BIG will ignore the demands for documents,

As an Ohio lawyer, I can tell you for sure OSU will be turning over some documents. Its response may be late, but under Ohio law at least some of what happened is discoverable. I would imagine that multiple other universities operate under FOIA law similar to Ohio.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
$53MM across the the board for the B1G so when comparing to B1G schools revenue & expenses to other B1G revenue & expense (which is what I’m doing) that $53mm is a non factor ( a wash).

and having Nebraska’s fan base as viewers of the BTN helps the BTN and the conference and ultimately that creates more revenues. They are better with us then without us. And likewise we are better with them without. It’s a win win forever one. We sure create more viewers of the BTN then most schools do. also you can’t just say if we weren’t in the B1G we’d lose $53 MM. we’d be out for sure but we’d have revenues from other channels too. We’d be on Fox Sports more, etc

I’m sorry but you make us seem like a charity case for the B1G but we aren’t. We are an asset to the athletics and eventually it will even show in wins and losses

The $54 million (corrected) IS NOT a wash when compared to other conferences. Why would you compare it to other B1G schools in the first place? We're all benefiting the same from the conference.

The ACC teams make app. $30 million from the conference. Big 12 makes $37 million. $24 million and $17 million increases respectively would bump a lot of ACC and Big 12 teams up into the Top Tier in revenue.

Frost can make the case that he cares about his kids all he wants, but when he starts threatening the conference with going rogue, he is out is line. And Ronnie Green let him know it.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie

You are a weird dude. Are you sure you're a Nebraska fan? Seems every post of yours is giving the Huskers the finger.

I've thought about this for a few days before I posted just to see what else did or didn't happen...and i'm sorry if this offends the parents who did this but I think it was a dick move. You're not doing your kid any favors here. If the kid wants to do this fine...i'm all for it, but having the parents do this has the feel of a parent who can't let go.

What an ass you have become. Seriously, why are you here? It’s not because of the football, that’s for damn sure.

Almost guarantee you that Moos had some input into this. It was wise that it began with the parents and players because they have standing and can prove damages. On the flip side, the Big10 has the advantage of having Northwestern as a member so it kind of creates a backstop for the league being deposed as an organization but nebraska holds a heck of a lot of cards right now.

What is the basis for standing? Trust me, I'm not disagreeing with you, as there may be something obvious staring me in the face that I totally missed. But I see no contractual basis and they certainly don't have third-party beneficiary status. As for some sort of tort claim, I don't see anything that would create a duty toward the parents. Without a duty that was violated, there is not basis for tort recovery.

I've thought about this for a few days before I posted just to see what else did or didn't happen...and i'm sorry if this offends the parents who did this but I think it was a dick move. You're not doing your kid any favors here. If the kid wants to do this fine...i'm all for it, but having the parents do this has the feel of a parent who can't let go.

Warren made the ultimate dick move. Fighting fire with fire i guess.

Strap in boys and girls this is going to be a caged dog fight.. The fall out from this could last for decades. The schedule makers are going to have it in for the boys in Scarlet
You mean it could get more biased than it has been?

Reactions: dinglefritz
As an Ohio lawyer, I can tell you for sure OSU will be turning over some documents. Its response may be late, but under Ohio law at least some of what happened is discoverable. I would imagine that multiple other universities operate under FOIA law similar to Ohio.
Since the letter from Flood was specifically directed to BIG, not to the member institutions, I don't know why OSU or any other universities would fire up the copy machines.

Reactions: Crazyhole
What is the basis for standing? Trust me, I'm not disagreeing with you, as there may be something obvious staring me in the face that I totally missed. But I see no contractual basis and they certainly don't have third-party beneficiary status. As for some sort of tort claim, I don't see anything that would create a duty toward the parents. Without a duty that was violated, there is not basis for tort recovery.
The NCAA took some of it away when they extended eligibility. No, the parents don't really have standing but they are acting as representatives of their children right now. If/when a suit is filed, I'm sure the players involved will be named directly. I would argue that this equates to a breach of contract based on the understanding that they would be allowed to compete, and lay out what that has looked like traditionally and even among peer conferences this year. Sure, it would be working around the fringes of what could be considered "damages", but a judge wouldn't dismiss this kind of case without hearing from each side first.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Since the letter from Flood was specifically directed to BIG, not to the member institutions, I don't know why OSU or any other universities would fire up the copy machines.

They wouldn't be obligated to. The McCaffreys could probably have Nebraska and Michigan be compelled to produce some amount of discovery if they chose to but i doubt they would do it.

"Frosty"? Your true colors have been exposed. Why do you continue to masquerade as a Husker fan?

Lol yep. As they already give us Ohio St every year that wont change but get ready to add Penn St, and Michigan for our 3 cross over games for the next foreseeable future.

I would ****ing love that! We used to be a machine, time to burn off the malaise and get to work. Cannot wait for the day we become the thing that goes bump in the night instead of the ones who cower from it.

Anyone, anytime, anywhere. #GBR

The NCAA took some of it away when they extended eligibility. No, the parents don't really have standing but they are acting as representatives of their children right now. If/when a suit is filed, I'm sure the players involved will be named directly. I would argue that this equates to a breach of contract based on the understanding that they would be allowed to compete, and lay out what that has looked like traditionally and even among peer conferences this year. Sure, it would be working around the fringes of what could be considered "damages", but a judge wouldn't dismiss this kind of case without hearing from each side first.

Thanks. That is basically the only argument I could see. But the issue, as I see it, would be that the only real contractual agreement is between the player and the school. There is no agreement between the player and the conference. That is why I can't see a third-party beneficiary argument, given how narrow third-party beneficiary status is interpreted. But you are absolutely right, this is not cut and dried and if a suit is filed a judge might be loathe to dismiss based on Rule 12. He would likely allow discovery and the address the issue on a motion for summary judgment.

Thanks. That is basically the only argument I could see. But the issue, as I see it, would be that the only real contractual agreement is between the player and the school. There is no agreement between the player and the conference. That is why I can't see a third-party beneficiary argument, given how narrow third-party beneficiary status is interpreted. But you are absolutely right, this is not cut and dried and if a suit is filed a judge might be loathe to dismiss based on Rule 12. He would likely allow discovery and the address the issue on a motion for summary judgment.
It won't go anywhere if we are being honest but it was the best place to start. I'm not sure how any judge would even begin to address it quite honestly. Its not really something that can be dealt with in district or state Court but can a federal district court even take it on?

The implications?
Warren and the B1G Presidents will try to retaliate against DONU if the lawsuit is a success. Fvck Warren and the B1G Pvssy ass Presidents!

The implications?
Warren and the B1G Presidents will try to retaliate against DONU if the lawsuit is a success. Fvck Warren and the B1G Pvssy ass Presidents!
He forgot to mention the most obvious implication: the outside world looking at us Nebraskans as a bunch of Gomers who care about nothing but a bunch of college kids playing a game.

He forgot to mention the most obvious implication: the outside world looking at us Nebraskans as a bunch of Gomers who care about nothing but a bunch of college kids playing a game.
How about all the other sports, businesses, academic programs that are around because of football. The small businesses in Lincoln that will close, the player who's been busting his ass and is due a good season.

All for a virus that is weakening and it appears that herd immunity is here. It's a ploy to sell vaccines and get more control over us.

Update:
"Regrettably, our office has not received any communication nor even a phone call from Commissioner (Kevin) Warren or the Big Ten Conference responsive to our legitimate concerns for information," said attorney Mike Flood in a statement.
Flood and the 11 families had suggested they would take legal action to obtain the information, but on Monday, Flood said he would meet with the parents of the Husker players to take the "next, most appropriate step." [i.e. how much are the parents willing to shell out in legal fees to follow through with a lawsuit.]

Reactions: jlb321
Update:
"Regrettably, our office has not received any communication nor even a phone call from Commissioner (Kevin) Warren or the Big Ten Conference responsive to our legitimate concerns for information," said attorney Mike Flood in a statement.
Flood and the 11 families had suggested they would take legal action to obtain the information, but on Monday, Flood said he would meet with the parents of the Husker players to take the "next, most appropriate step." [i.e. how much are the parents willing to shell out in legal fees to follow through with a lawsuit.]

posted this in another thread

"I will meet with these parents and their sons to take the next, most appropriate step."

?? confused ??- they already laid out the "next, most appropriate step" if those documents weren't in their possession by high noon today

"If the documents are not delivered to the undersigned by 12:00 pm Central on Monday, August 24, 2020, we will have no choice but to file suit in the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska seeking the documents and asking the Court to seek immediate relief. Govern yourself accordingly."

that paper work should have been ready to go and submitted once the clock struck 12:01 - as the original letter (threat) stated if they didn’t have the documents by noon they would have NO CHOICE but to file suit

it should have already been filed

Reactions: WHCSC and LBremser
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT