ADVERTISEMENT

Implications of Nebraska parents lawsuit

Here's a good run down of the implications of the lawsuit by Nebraska players parents.

Almost guarantee you that Moos had some input into this. It was wise that it began with the parents and players because they have standing and can prove damages. On the flip side, the Big10 has the advantage of having Northwestern as a member so it kind of creates a backstop for the league being deposed as an organization but nebraska holds a heck of a lot of cards right now.

Has the lawsuit even been filed?

I’m not listening to 12 or 16 minutes of commentary on a lawsuit’s impact before I can read the complaint, and its legal basis. I suggest nobody should.

Reactions: Red I 73
Strap in boys and girls this is going to be a caged dog fight.. The fall out from this could last for decades. The schedule makers are going to have it in for the boys in Scarlet
Lol yep. As they already give us Ohio St every year that wont change but get ready to add Penn St, and Michigan for our 3 cross over games for the next foreseeable future.

anything is possible with children making decisions.
just read that warren is surprised by the fallout. ingrate.

By itself this lawsuit threat will be nothing. The BIG will ignore the demands for documents, if Flood does file suit it will eventually be dismissed with nothing accomplished. The only hope is that the players/parents can drum up enough support from fans, donors, etc. to get the member universities involved in the request to revisit the season plans. Right now that doesn't look likely.

Reactions: WHCSC
We sure are making a lot of noise for a school whose only championship game appearance was a 40-point blowout. I think it's time to stop making waves and play when we're told to play. We haven't built up enough conference equity to be making any demands of the conference.

We sure are making a lot of noise for a school whose only championship game appearance was a 40-point blowout. I think it's time to stop making waves and play when we're told to play. We haven't built up enough conference equity to be making any demands of the conference.
This guy is something else

Reactions: TheNewNU and WHCSC
I thought we paid for equity in the Big Ten by taking reduced payments for the better part of the last decade.

I have to agree with Husker Du. I'm not sure what we have done in the conference to give us leverage. We are consistently the lowest ranked university in the conference in academics, we got kicked out of the AAU, we haven't placed in the top 10 in the Directors Cup standings since 1999-2000, our football and basketball programs have been - well let's just say disappointing. What is it about dear ol NU that the BIG would miss besides the long flights to Lincoln?

I have to agree with Husker Du. I'm not sure what we have done in the conference to give us leverage. We are consistently the lowest ranked university in the conference in academics, we got kicked out of the AAU, we haven't placed in the top 10 in the Directors Cup standings since 1999-2000, our football and basketball programs have been - well let's just say disappointing. What is it about dear ol NU that the BIG would miss besides the long flights to Lincoln?
Games where they can rest their starters. It's what builds championship teams, and the B1G knows they can't just run the gauntlet every year.

Look at the SEC and their late-season FCS games. At least we can fill that role for the league's top dogs.

And for that, the Big Ten should be thankful.

Winking

Wow. Self deprecation has replaced pride now. Good thing we had somebody that was willing to take this charity case in and save us.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Dumb. Iowa fan?

I’m glad there weren’t a lot guys like you during revolutionary days. C’mon guys let’s just do what the British tell us to do.

This guy is something else

When your program has had 4 losing seasons out of the last 5, you just shut up and play when you're told, if you want to keep getting that $53 million check each year. In terms of influence, we're on the same level as an Indiana or Purdue right now in this conference. Until we put winning teams in football and basketball on the field/court, Frost and Moos just need to follow Fred's lead and shut up and get better. Period!

Why do you think our coach and AD knuckled under and our president and chancellor put out a conciliatory message when threatened with getting kicked out of the conference?

"The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a fully committed member of the Big Ten Conference. It is an unparalleled athletic and academic alliance.

We have the greatest fans in college athletics. This has been a difficult and disappointing week for the Husker family. We all look forward to the day when we can cheer on our student athletes, on the field and in the arena.”

Wow you have missed the point. So you be ok with what Nebraska is saying if they won more in football and basketball? What does on field success have to do with stick up for the student athletes.

By your logic, Nebraska volleyball gets to complain, but not football.

When your program has had 4 losing seasons out of the last 5, you just shut up and play when you're told, if you want to keep getting that $53 million check each year. In terms of influence, we're on the same level as an Indiana or Purdue right now in this conference. Until we put winning teams in football and basketball on the field/court, Frost and Moos just need to shut up and get better. Period!

Why do you think our coach and AD knuckled under and our president and chancellor put out a conciliatory message when threatened with getting kicked out of the conference?

"The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is a fully committed member of the Big Ten Conference. It is an unparalleled athletic and academic alliance.

We have the greatest fans in college athletics. This has been a difficult and disappointing week for the Husker family. We all look forward to the day when we can cheer on our student athletes, on the field and in the arena.”

Ok you go tell the players and families that. I’m sure your sound logic will set them straight.

I’m glad there weren’t a lot guys like you during revolutionary days. C’mon guys let’s just do what the British tell us to do.

You just don't get it. We were stronger than the British. We are a weak athletic department right now, and have been for at least the last 5 years, and we have done very little to be able to make demands of anyone.

Sure, we can leave another conference, after getting our asses handed to us for most of our time in this conference. That would be a great look!

How about we just shut up, get better, win the majority of our games, and then leave with some respect for our athletic department. Until then we should just focus on getting better and not say a thing!

Wow you have missed the point. So you be ok with what Nebraska is saying if they won more in football and basketball? What does on field success have to do with stick up for the student athletes.

By your logic, Nebraska volleyball gets to complain, but not football.

Damn right they do! They own the BiG and carry a lot of weight in volleyball and are respected. Our football and basketball programs don't have the respect to be able to say much at all right now.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I thought we paid for equity in the Big Ten by taking reduced payments for the better part of the last decade.

That is a completely separate issue than sucking at men's athletics right now. If you're a low performing employee, how much do you complain about leadership? You just shut up and get better. Then you can bring up inequities all you want.

When your program has had 4 losing seasons out of the last 5, you just shut up and play when you're told, if you want to keep getting that $53 million check each year. In terms of influence, we're on the same level as an Indiana or Purdue right now in this conference. Until we put winning teams in football and basketball on the field/court, Frost and Moos just need to follow Fred's lead and shut up and get better. Period!

Frost and Moos have acted appropriately all things considered. Why do they need to shut up? Yes we do have the greatest fans in college athletics. Our athletes also have great parents and I commend them for pushing back. I'm sick of people using the fact that our football program has been down recently (compared to our standards) as an reason to just lay down and act like pussies! We are a proud program with a storied history and have as much right to stand up and ask for more information as anyone. Canceling the ENTIRE fall sports season in mid August is just asinine!

You just don't get it. We were stronger than the British. We are a weak athletic department right now, and have been for at least the last 5 years, and we have done very little to be able to make demands of anyone.

Sure, we can leave another conference, after getting our asses handed to us for most of our time in this conference. That would be a great look!

How about we just shut up, get better, win the majority of our games, and then leave with some respect for our athletic department. Until then we should just focus on getting better and not say a thing!

Nah you’re the one who doesn’t “get it.” Shame on our coaches and AD sticking up for their players. How dare them.

You suck at life but you still get to voice your worthless opinion. Our coaches, AD and fans have every right to protest this injustice.

what have we done in conference to make us attractive? Well we can start off with Being ranked 21st in the nation in revenues for athletics. And when you drill down further, you will see that we are extremely high in ticket sales and rights / licensing. We are the 2nd highest school in the B1G for Rights & licensing which is the biggest revenue earner bucket for pretty much all schools. We are 6th in the B1G in total revenue but only because contributions was so low last year, which isn’t a bad thing necessarily. We had a much healthier bottom line then those other schools when your talking bottom line Revenues over expenses. The need for contributions wasn’t important because the university didn’t need campaign drives to cover expenses. The athletic department for the most part was self sufficient. Yes the real in conference importance is to be profitable and much better if you can do that through ticket sales and licensing and rights. So yeah we are still an attractive drawl. Would it be better if we were winning too, sure but there are schools that win but look at Clemson, highly successful on the football field but less successful in revenues.

and the more we sell tickets and have fan support it helps the conference extremely when we travel which ultimately adds revenue to the other schools in conference. Lets stop acting like we are the children of the poor and should be happy we just have a seat at the table. The B1G is happy to have us and if they don’t see that, they are idiots

Nah you’re the one who doesn’t “get it.” Shame on our coaches and AD sticking up for their players. How dare them.

You suck at life but you still get to voice your worthless opinion. Our coaches, AD and fans have every right to protest this injustice.

LOL! You're a buffoon! You can stick up for your players all you want without threatening to go rogue as an athletic department.

Why the hell do you think Ted Carter and Ronnie Green put out the statement? They know that we have no leverage. I'm pretty sure they both told Frost and Moos to pipe down. Maybe you haven't noticed, but we haven't heard squat from either since the statement. If we've heard anything, it has been softened a great deal towards the conference.

Throw in Nebraska parents threatening to sue and we're becoming a bigger pain in the ass than we're worth. We're acting out like children, much like many on this site. Like I said, get better, then we can start making demands of the conference all we want. Until then, we need to STFU and get better!

Reactions: LUVNHAIGHT
Wow. Self deprecation has replaced pride now. Good thing we had somebody that was willing to take this charity case in and save us.
The BIG accepted NU into the conference in mid-2010. At that point in time:
1. NU was ranked #89 among national universities by US News, it is now #139.
2. NU was a member of the AAU, we lost that status shortly after joining the conference.
3. Husker football had finished the 2009 season with 10 wins and a #14 final AP ranking.
4. NU was just 9 years from nearly consistent top ten Directors Cup rankings.

Things have changed during the 10 years NU has been in the BIG, and not for the better.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
2. NU was a member of the AAU, we lost that status shortly after joining the conference.
3. Husker football had finished the 2009 season with 10 wins and a #14 final AP ranking.

Things have changed during the 10 years NU has been in the BIG, and not for the better.
At least we were able to trade our success for a consistent and lucrative paycheck. Well, until this year.

We can be put on prime time against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State, people will watch. If we win, cool. If not, we got our payday.

Man, we sound like a mid-major.

Sounds like we were better off without the Big10.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

but we still sell out every home football game and our basketball attendance ranked #11 last year and TV market is extremely high and all of this with a horrible teams in basketball and football. Wait until we have winning teams again. The tv market share will kill. We still bring more to the table financially from sports to the B1G then most schools and let’s not even talk about Maryland and Rutgers. They are a long term investment in which it will take a very long time for the B1G to really return anything from them

but we still sell out every home football game and our basketball attendance ranked #11 last year and TV market is extremely high and all of this with a horrible teams in basketball and football. Wait until we have winning teams again. The tv market share will kill. We still bring more to the table financially from sports to the B1G then most schools and let’s not even talk about Maryland and Rutgers. They are a long term investment in which it will take a very long time for the B1G to really return anything from them
Adding Nebraska improved the brand. Maryland and Rutgers only brought media markets for big10 network negotiations.

what have we done in conference to make us attractive? Well we can start off with Being ranked 21st in the nation in revenues for athletics. And when you drill down further, you will see that we are extremely high in ticket sales and rights / licensing. We are the 2nd highest school in the B1G for Rights & licensing which is the biggest revenue earner bucket for pretty much all schools. We are 6th in the B1G in total revenue but only because contributions was so low last year, which isn’t a bad thing necessarily. We had a much healthier bottom line then those other schools when your talking bottom line Revenues over expenses. The need for contributions wasn’t important because the university didn’t need campaign drives to cover expenses. The athletic department for the most part was self sufficient. Yes the real in conference importance is to be profitable and much better if you can do that through ticket sales and licensing and rights. So yeah we are still an attractive drawl. Would it be better if we were winning too, sure but there are schools that win but look at Clemson, highly successful on the football field but less successful in revenues.

and the more we sell tickets and have fan support it helps the conference extremely when we travel which ultimately adds revenue to the other schools in conference. Lets stop acting like we are the children of the poor and should be happy we just have a seat at the table. The B1G is happy to have us and if they don’t see that, they are idiots

Why do you think we are #21? And why do you think the rest of the B1G teams are ranked high? It's because we are getting $53 million from the B1G every year. Or whatever the outlandish number is now. As a member of the B1G, we benefit more than any other league being a member.

Edit - To my knowledge the B1G Conference doesn't benefit from our licensing fees or ticket fees. They benefit from putting us on TV every week, but how much longer will they continue to benefit as much if we keep having losing seasons?

Last edited:
Sounds like we were better off without the Big10.

I'm fine going back to the Big 12...eventually. But I don't want to do it until we are beating some of the best that the B1G has to offer. Leaving right now, we would look like we have a yellow streak the width of the Missouri River running down our back.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT