ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers 3 point undogs to Mississippi St.,,,,

I say we win,,,what say you all?
Depends which Nebraska team shows up. If it is the us vs the world, we got screwed and are out to prove everyone wrong, we win.
If it is the poor us, we don't care team. Then we lose. I am leaning towards the we don't care team. Miles seems to have a hard time getting his guys motivated for important games than matter. Not sure how he is going to motivate them for one that really doesn't.

I would never bet on a first round NIT game involving a team that had hopes to be in the dance. Never know where their heads will be. Maybe the 2nd round.

MSU went 17-2 at home. Lost to Auburn and Tenn. Guess we'll see if the SEC was over rated.

Like I said in another thread...Road game; Opponent has a pulse; it’s a tournament...not exactly NU’s wheelhouse.

Like I said in another thread...Road game; Opponent has a pulse; it’s a tournament...not exactly NU’s wheelhouse.

You can tell they didn’t use the RPI other wise Nebraska would be a higher seed and playing at home...

Good opportunity for Miles to win a big game on the road.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I said it before we played Illinois and Michigan - you'd have to be crazy to bet on a Tim Miles coached team away from home with something at stake.

Tim Miles has also never won a game in any D-I postseason tournament (NCAAs, NIT, CBI).

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but we have already beat them once at their house this season. If the team is motivated they will win, if they are not they lose. Maybe the first thing I have ever agreed with newAD on.

If I was Miles I would approach this tournament as a way to not only prove the NCAA Tournament Committee wrong, and show them we are a good team that can win. There is a good chance we can meet and beat all 4 conferences that were over hyped and screwed over the Big 10 and Pac 12. It all starts with Mississippi State... then Baylor... then Louisville.. then if we are lucky Marquette. They will all be away games, so the odds will definitely not be in our favor. Hell I'm not sure the top teams in the NCAA tournament like Kansas could go on those 4 road games and pull out wins in all of them. They lost @Baylor by 16 this year, so having to go to all of these games on the road is a tall task to ask of this team. If they are motivated I can see them winning them all though.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sport...cle_ea152620-b7a5-11e7-aafa-dbae491a74d2.html

Mississippi State will be without their stud starting Point Guard. It hasn't been mentioned because most people don't care anymore. But that is a significant loss. MSU is not a good ball handling team. They have a negative assist to turnover ratio with him in the game, and they really struggle to move the ball without him.

I really think this game is all about Nebraska's psyche. Do the Huskers care? Do they want to be there? If not, Miss State wins even without Witherspoon. If the Huskers can bring effort and emotion, I think they can control the game. They have a serious talent advantage in the backcourt now.

If nebraska gets past MSU, Baylor really doesn’t want to be there, and Louisville tried to vote to decline the tournament. Maybe they can make a run.

We’ll see, hope they hold motivation, I would look up to the team for that. I think MSU will have motivation also.

If I was Miles I would approach this tournament as a way to not only prove the NCAA Tournament Committee wrong, and show them we are a good team that can win.
I get wanting to prove them wrong. Obviously winning it vs not winning it is going to do more from a national perspective . What does it matter at this point? Nothing can be changed. Lets say we win out and get the NIT championship? Lets say the committee actually takes notices and thinks, "oh wow we did screw up. We should have put NEB in the tourney" It means nothing. Odds are at the start of next season will we still be unranked and not respected by anyone in the country. We start all over again.

I get wanting to prove them wrong. Obviously winning it vs not winning it is going to do more from a national perspective . What does it matter at this point? Nothing can be changed. Lets say we win out and get the NIT championship? Lets say the committee actually takes notices and thinks, "oh wow we did screw up. We should have put NEB in the tourney" It means nothing. Odds are at the start of next season will we still be unranked and not respected by anyone in the country. We start all over again.
Come on man your preaching to the choir with this. I understand and feel the same way, but I'll share my dream scenario once again

We do have something to play for. This committee pretty much **** on our faces with where they put us. Our road to the final 4 in the NIT possible has a perfect scenario.

Our first game is a road game @Mississippi State (SEC) a place where only 3 teams won this basketball season Auburn, Tennessee and us. We win again @Mississippi State we can chalk one up for us and the Big 10. Next comes the Big 12 and we go to Baylor (Big 12), an 8-10 Big 12 team that we all felt did not deserve an NCAA bid. This is a team that like Texas and Oklahoma got more pub because they are in the daunting Big 12. We can shut them up by going to one of their houses and punch them in the mouth. Then we are possibly @Louisville (ACC) to cap off the perfect kiss my a$$ postseason with a victory there.

Lastly, this involves the other Big 10 team in the field to make the quarterfinals. Penn St. needs to beat Marquette from the over hyped Big East in the quarterfinals. This is the same Big East that had big scary Seton Hall lose to our Big 10 bottom dweller Rutgers, but yet somehow is a way better conference then ours. Was it because the Big 10 split the Gavett Games with them? Is it because Creighton squeaked out a home win over us? Is it because St. John's took us to the wood shed with Ponds and Levitt in the 3rd game of the season? Who knows?

Then instead of both teams going to MSG, they both forfeit the game. With a nice letter from both coaches saying "We aren't coming, our work is done for the season! Next time make better decisions, and you won't have to deal with this again."

Then instead of both teams going to MSG, they both forfeit the game. With a nice letter from both coaches saying "We aren't coming, our work is done for the season! Next time make better decisions, and you won't have to deal with this again."
I do love that idea!

Yep, gonna come down to who makes more baskets.
If its Nebraska, we have a chance...if not...well we know the rest of this story.

MSU should hammer the NU team. After all, the NIT is an insult to our basketball program. They certainly saw themselves as NCAA champs.

Whether or not it will make a difference, at least the players have a chip on their shoulders. The practice before they flew down to Mississippi was described as "angry" and "spirited" by both the coaches and some outside observers.

Mississippi State will be without their stud starting Point Guard. It hasn't been mentioned because most people don't care anymore. But that is a significant loss. MSU is not a good ball handling team. They have a negative assist to turnover ratio with him in the game, and they really struggle to move the ball without him.

I really think this game is all about Nebraska's psyche. Do the Huskers care? Do they want to be there? If not, Miss State wins even without Witherspoon. If the Huskers can bring effort and emotion, I think they can control the game. They have a serious talent advantage in the backcourt now.

Losing N. Weatherspoon is a big loss. In addition to the loss of the ball handling Weatherspoon was scoring at 11 PPG and is an athletic defender. The guards that they are going to platoon to replace him are a definite drop off. Of course, the way things have gone some no-name geek is going to come off the bench as a replacement for Weatherspoon and shoot 6-7 from 3 for one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in D-1.

Vegas missed quite a bit with spreads against Nebraska this year, but this spread growing from 3 to 4 in spite of this injury news doesn’t bode well.

I’d hold off taking Nebraska until you see them play. If they look strong, you can probably ride them the rest of the way.

The NIT is just so unpredictable because of reaction to being left out.

All of these guys need to come back next year, and kick ass.

Creating offense can be coached/developed.

GBR

It would be nice if they would quit thinking they have to jump every time MSU makes a move. Stay on tue ground.

Good grief. Are they ever going to call Mississippi State for moving screen or illegal pick

Dont know how they are this close. Should be down by 10 with the way Jordy is playing on defense.

Playing well so far hitting some long threes let’s win this one guys and continue a great year. This has been a good year don’t care what the naysayers say

Imagine a great PG with these wings, and another wing.

Lots of wings and a real PG

GBR

Good grief. Are they ever going to call Mississippi State for moving screen or illegal pick
Did you notice the in-bounds play on MSU's last possession? Taylor was trying to deny the pass, so the guy just grabs Taylor with both hands and throws him toward midcourt. Three people in the arena didn't see it, and they were all wearing stripes.

Huskers definitely the more talented bunch. Let’s see if they can figure it out in second half.

Always tough when you are playing against eight others. Officiating has been horrible!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT