ADVERTISEMENT

Has basketball maxed out?

I forgot you’re not really a sports fan all together… You were here just for the political board.

how-dare-you-greta-thunberg.gif

We've never been a basketball school and doubt we will ever will become one. Doesn't mean that we can't have good years. If you look at the Bluebloods who are basketball schools, the majority of them have garbage football programs as they are Basketball schools.

Last edited:
The NBA is the most followed sports league in rge world. The product on the court has greatly improved over the past couple of decades and the shot making is unbelievable.

College basketball can be difficult to watch. The talent drop off is much wider than College and pro football. The open misses and officiating are frustrating.

March Madness makes it seem better than it is because you catch a number if games simultaneously and it amps up the action and the stakes are big.

We've never been a basketball school and doubt we will ever will become one. Doesn't mean that we can't have good years. If you look at the Bluebloods who are basketball schools, the majority of them have garbage football teams as they are Basketball schools.
Nailed it….

Can’t image people who are nerd turds on the open board watching the January6
Insurrection over the beginning of the NCAA basketball tournaments and find it more exciting..😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyldcard
Nailed it….

Can’t image people who are nerd turds on the open board watching the January6
Insurrection over the beginning of the NCAA basketball tournaments and find it more exciting..😂

J6 is boring, I didn't follow it. What a waste of time and money that has been.

I personally find war footage to be more exciting than a basketball tournament. I didn't watch the soccer tournament either.

I thought hoiberg brought in the good recruiters? Didn't we get a 5 star player? How much better can they recruit?

Still waiting for that easy turnaround.

No, Hoiberg did not bring in good recruiters. He had Matt A. who was shady as hell. He got one 5-star player and a bunch of mid-major caliber players.

Just look at K-State this year if you don't think a quick turnaround is possible. Or Iowa State last year. Or Alabama now under Nate Oats. All of these programs were in the dumps recently and are now ranked in the Top 15. If these programs can win, there's no reason Nebraska can't. ISU and KSU have crappy facilities and are in the middle of nowhere. Alabama is a football school that had never had much success in basketball.

We've never been a basketball school and doubt we will ever will become one. Doesn't mean that we can't have good years. If you look at the Bluebloods who are basketball schools, the majority of them have garbage football teams as they are Basketball schools.

I couldn't imagine being relegated to basketball school status.

Reactions: Wyldcard
No, Hoiberg did not bring in good recruiters. He had Matt A. who was shady as hell. He got one 5-star player and a bunch of mid-major caliber players.

Just look at K-State this year if you don't think a quick turnaround is possible. Or Iowa State last year. Or Alabama now under Nate Oats. All of these programs were in the dumps recently and are now ranked in the Top 15. If these programs can win, there's no reason Nebraska can't. ISU and KSU have crappy facilities and are in the middle of nowhere. Alabama is a football school that had never had much success in basketball.

But it's only 5 players needed. One of them was a 5 star. How many 5 stars does it take for a turnaround? Hoiberg was successful at Iowa state though right? Ok, well it's not working here.

I'm sure schools like Iowa say the same thing as they watch schools with "less" do more in football. I guess I can continue to hope in my hand.

Hey whassup Jae, thought you’d abandoned us

What up mane..

c2ba4962-515c-4e32-980b-ec7a57111cfd_text.gif

No I'm still here. There were some communication issues.

I've been lurking around, watching the up and coming talent at on3. Checking in here when I can, trying to stay out of trouble 🙂🤙.

But it's only 5 players needed. One of them was a 5 star. How many 5 stars does it take for a turnaround? Hoiberg was successful at Iowa state though right? Ok, well it's not working here.

I'm sure schools like Iowa say the same thing as they watch schools with "less" do more in football. I guess I can continue to hope in my hand.

It takes 5 good players, or at least a couple of 1st-round level talents. One 2nd-round level player and 4 mediocre players isn't going to cut it in the Big Ten.

A few years ago people said Alabama was a football school that was never going to be great in basketball. Now they have a Final Four caliber team.

Hoiberg's success at ISU is in large part because TJ Otzelberger was an awesome recruiter, he brought in lots of NBA level talent to Ames. He's probably the guy we should have hired instead.

It takes 5 good players, or at least a couple of 1st-round level talents. One 2nd-round level player and 4 mediocre players isn't going to cut it in the Big Ten.

A few years ago people said Alabama was a football school that was never going to be great in basketball. Now they have a Final Four caliber team.

Hoiberg's success at ISU is in large part because TJ Otzelberger was an awesome recruiter, he brought in lots of NBA level talent to Ames. He's probably the guy we should have hired instead.

Ok. Why didn't hoiberg hire better recruiters? Why didn't they hire otzelberger? They hoped hoiberg knew hoops? They hoped he would bring top talent and wins? They hoped because he did it at Iowa state with less resources, he would be able to at least match that here with more resources? It reminds me of the mike riley situation. Except hoiberg was more successful at Iowa state.

I should just keep hoping? Outside of one pretty good year and one above average year, what is there to be excited about, what is there to hope for? Hope we make the NCAA tournament, and win one game maybe two? Is that the pinnacle? Do we hope for more, do we accept less? What should be my expectation? Will I hope to have one good season every 30 years? I just don't get it, unless of course you just like basketball, which I understand, people like what they like.

I don't ignore responses. I'm not an animal.
Debating, in other words. Not caring enough to debate would literally mean ignoring responses... because you don't care. Just admit you really do care about basketball.

Debating, in other words. Not caring enough to debate would literally mean ignoring responses... because you don't care. Just admit you really do care about basketball.

Bro, be serious.

Even in 20-21 men's basketball had a $2.6M profit. Football definitely pays the bills for the rest of the athletic department, but men's basketball pays its own bills.
With massive conf payouts - football pays the bills by just simply existing ..
0-12 or 12-0 pays out the same

There should be tiered payouts

K-State is led by Sr forward Keyonte Johnson who is averaging 18.5 points 7.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. Hoiberg had Johnson committed to Nebraska and the administration blocked it despite the university's medical team clearing him to play here.

Put Johnson on this team with Walker and Griesel and we are talking tournament seeding. The administration has consistently screwed over Basketball coaches here. Hoiberg has made some bad hires but he has also been royally screwed by both the administration and circumstance.

Ok. Why didn't hoiberg hire better recruiters? Why didn't they hire otzelberger? They hoped hoiberg knew hoops? They hoped he would bring top talent and wins? They hoped because he did it at Iowa state with less resources, he would be able to at least match that here with more resources? It reminds me of the mike riley situation. Except hoiberg was more successful at Iowa state.

I should just keep hoping? Outside of one pretty good year and one above average year, what is there to be excited about, what is there to hope for? Hope we make the NCAA tournament, and win one game maybe two? Is that the pinnacle? Do we hope for more, do we accept less? What should be my expectation? Will I hope to have one good season every 30 years? I just don't get it, unless of course you just like basketball, which I understand, people like what they like.

You'll have to ask Hoiberg....he literally admitted that he "f-ing hated recruiting". In hindsight, that should have been a major red flag, but everybody was blinded by the fact that he took ISU to the Sweet 16 and won the Big 12 tournament twice. People expected Matt A. would bring in the talent for him, not realizing that Otzelberger was responsible for bringing most of the best talent to Ames, and the new transfer portal rules negated Matt's strategy of recruiting transfers.

I don't know if we'll ever be good in basketball again, but I do know that the success or lack thereof in basketball has no effect on football. Basketball is profitable and does not take away anything from the football program.

Plenty of programs have managed to field good teams in both sports.....TCU, Baylor, K-State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Texas, Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee, Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon,

Last edited:
They won the big 8 in 94. At one point in the early 90s they had more players in the nba than Kansas. So yeah they were good. They lost as a 3 seed in the tournament so to be a 3 seed you are top 15 in the country. They have had bad luck in the ncaa tournament.
DONU is the only Div 1 school to have yet to win a game in the dance. We are not a basketball school and never will be. We can hope for good years, but we are not a roundball school.

I thought hoiberg brought in the good recruiters? Didn't we get a 5 star player? How much better can they recruit?

Still waiting for that easy turnaround.
We got rid of the “good recruiter” coach in the off season. It was well last time. He was nothing more than a mouthpiece with a cell phone to contact national reporters. He hid in his apartment for 2 years and used the Rona as an excuse.

• Wow
Reactions: Jaemekon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT