ADVERTISEMENT

Has basketball maxed out?

You'll have to ask Hoiberg....he literally admitted that he "f-ing hated recruiting". In hindsight, that should have been a major red flag, but everybody was blinded by the fact that he took ISU to the Sweet 16 and won the Big 12 tournament twice. People expected Matt A. would bring in the talent for him, not realizing that Otzelberger was responsible for bringing most of the best talent to Ames, and the new transfer portal rules negated Matt's strategy of recruiting transfers.

I don't know if we'll ever be good in basketball again, but I do know that the success or lack thereof in basketball has no effect on football. Basketball is profitable and does not take away anything from the football program.

Plenty of programs have managed to field good teams in both sports.....TCU, Baylor, K-State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Texas, Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee, Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon,

Yea. I don't care that there are multiple successful programs within one university.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be sad if they dropped the basketball team. I don't watch them anyway..

e9a1c895-e6f4-47f7-b330-4010d99b14ea_text.gif

K

So North Carolina should not try in football because they are a basketball school? And we are a roundball school now. A volleyball is round
In my post earlier I stated almost all of the Basketball bluebloods football programs stink up the place as they are basketball schools. We aren't and never will be a basketball school at least not in my lifetime as we are a football school.

No, Hoiberg did not bring in good recruiters. He had Matt A. who was shady as hell. He got one 5-star player and a bunch of mid-major caliber players.

Just look at K-State this year if you don't think a quick turnaround is possible. Or Iowa State last year. Or Alabama now under Nate Oats. All of these programs were in the dumps recently and are now ranked in the Top 15. If these programs can win, there's no reason Nebraska can't. ISU and KSU have crappy facilities and are in the middle of nowhere. Alabama is a football school that had never had much success in basketball.

You would be wrong about Alabama basketball. They historically have a very solid basketball program with a decent amount of success.

Reactions: dinglefritz
With massive conf payouts - football pays the bills by just simply existing ..
0-12 or 12-0 pays out the same

There should be tiered payouts
Wasn't unequal payouts part of the reason why Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, and Texas A&M left the Big 12 conference?

• Wow
Reactions: Jaemekon
What’d you do? Too many nut shots? You could of played for Duke.

The last game I played in, I threw a dude into the wall, he fell to the ground and I kicked him in the face. That was the last basketball game I was allowed to play in. But I typically fouled out of every game I played in anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
You would be wrong about Alabama basketball. They historically have a very solid basketball program with a decent amount of success.
Southern Cal is a football school and they’ve been very good in basketball, just not as good as UCLA history..

Few people in here are getting an education on Nebraska basketball history..

They’ve never heard of Stu Lantz, Jack Moore, Eric Piatkowski, Eric Strickland and Dave Hoppen..

They had a couple decent years in the early 2000s and 1980s. You could say the same about Nebraska Basketball in the 80s and 90s. In the decade or so before they hired Nate Oats, Alabama Basketball was nothing special. They had won one NCAA tournament game in the past 13 years before Oats.

Southern Cal is a football school and they’ve been very good in basketball, just not as good as UCLA history..

Few people in here are getting an education on Nebraska basketball history..

They’ve never heard of Stu Lantz, Jack Moore, Eric Piatkowski, Eric Strickland and Dave Hoppen..
Don’t forget about Tom wald.

They had a couple decent years in the early 2000s and 1980s. You could say the same about Nebraska Basketball in the 80s and 90s. In the decade or so before they hired Nate Oats, Alabama Basketball was nothing special. They had won one NCAA tournament game in the past 13 years before Oats.
Lol......

Alabama is 2nd all time in SEC tournament titles only trailing Kentucky.

They are 3rd all time in total wins in the SEC.

They have 11 regular season conference championships.

They have made the tournament 23 times.

Have one elite 8 appearance.

Nine sweet sixteen

22 All Americans

17 first round draft picks.

Been ranked #1 (2004)

They also rank 33rd in all time wins with over 1700 wins

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jaemekon
I freely admit upfront I do not follow the sport but notice headlines from around the nation. In the past decade nothing has really changed in the top tier teams outside of coaches who retired in top programs and now they are looking for identities. The teams on top are still on top, the team's in the middle are still there and the rest are looking for ways to win.

As long as I can remember (I am 60) NU has sucked at the sport with the women's team being hit and miss in the tourney. Every time the sure fire hire is signed, they fizzle out and it's lather, rinse, repeat. Hoiberg seems to be the only hire I have paid attention to and he is flaming out...

How does NU even begin to become relevant in the sport? I think their facilities are fairly new but didn't seem to dent the problem. Top tier coaches do not sniff the program so they are destined to find up and comers and pray they do not jump ship when a better job comes along. What does Trev need to do to get the sport to mediocrity and then to respect? Is it worth the energy to get it there?
I’m with you, the only time Nebraska basketball was somewhat relevant was when Danny née was the coach. I always felt the best time for Nebraska to improve was when joe cip got sis and they promoted moe Iba as interum head coach at the end of that season they should have done a search but if I remember correctly they just promoted moe. Right then and their I knew the administration didn’t really care about basketball. And the hires after Danny were bad especially Barry collier. I thought Tim miles was a good hire he wasn’t bad but inconsistent . I thought hiring Fred was a home run well known he could recruit but for some reason it hasnt even come close to being successful. So the question I have is are we not cheating enough, we all know about creighton

This violates my policy of not debating things that are never going to happen (cutting basketball). Yes, they're going to keep trying. No, they're never going to cut basketball. BTW, if you're 60 it's utter bullshit to say Nebraska basketball has NEVER been good.

The best I remember is winning the NIT and I believe a #4 seed in the dance but lost the first round.

In my post earlier I stated almost all of the Basketball bluebloods football programs stink up the place as they are basketball schools. We aren't and never will be a basketball school at least not in my lifetime as we are a football school.

Agree we will never be a BB school, if the definition is having multiple national championships and 60+ years of top level performance. However, there is absolutely no reason we can’t be in the upper half of the conference more years than not. That means making the NCAAs on a fairly consistent basis.

Agree we will never be a BB school, if the definition is having multiple national championships and 60+ years of top level performance. However, there is absolutely no reason we can’t be in the upper half of the conference more years than not. That means making the NCAAs on a fairly consistent basis.
Yes - Timmy had us there and we fired him. He’s our Jim Caldwell.

Reactions: moralvictories
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT