ADVERTISEMENT

Has basketball maxed out?

Timmy was a clown and a mediocre coach. Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields played out of their minds for one month in 2014. Then Timmy pissed away a 20-point lead in the Big Ten tourney and got so badly outreached by Scott Drew in the NCAA Tournament, that he threw a fit and got ejected.

Then the next year with everyone returning and a preseason Top 25 ranking, he proceeded to go 13-18 with losses to Incarnate Word and Hawaii.

In addition to Incarnate Word and Hawaii, his tenure also included home losses to Gardner-Webb, Samford, and Kent State. He finished with a worse winning percentage than Sadler and left Hoiberg with basically one player, Thor, who was a mid-major talent at best.

The one season that he managed to win 20 games, was only because it was the worst season in the history of Big Ten Basketball, where finishing 4th in the league barely made it into the NIT and suffered a bad loss in the first round there.

Hoiberg has been very bad, but let's not pretend that Miles was anything but a failure here who managed to leave the program in worse shape than even Sadler and Collier did.
Miles was severely hamstrung by his contract situation. It killed our recruiting and caused the departure of his best assistant/recruiter. That was largely a crisis of his own making. He should have kept his head down and worked instead of chasing tail and whining about money. Work your ass off and the money will take care of itself.

• Haha
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Timmy was a clown and a mediocre coach. Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields played out of their minds for one month in 2014. Then Timmy pissed away a 20-point lead in the Big Ten tourney and got so badly outreached by Scott Drew in the NCAA Tournament, that he threw a fit and got ejected.
I pretty much agree with this entire post, except the part about Miles getting ejected for throwing a fit. He got ejected by King Karl Hess, the biggest asshole in the history of college basketball officiating, for trying to point out that the shot clock wasn't running.

I don't bring this up to defend Miles, whose Don Knotts comedy routine grew tired on me pretty quickly. But Hess was an absolute jackass who never should have officiated above junior high school.

Scantleberry and Bob Grattop played on that 1965-1966 team that was ranked in the top 10 for 4 weeks at seasons end..

Reactions: dinglefritz
Scantleberry and Bob Grattop played on that 1965-1966 team that was ranked in the top 10 for 4 weeks at seasons end..
I played with Bob Grattop in a charity game many years ago. He was probably pushing 50 at the time and was still a baller. Nice guy, too. We came within one point of knocking off the Kansas City Chiefs.

Timmy didn't have us anywhere. I so wanted him to work. Heck, I want Hoiberg to work. We need someone to build the program. Sound familiar? I'm sure Trev has sat down with Fred, as he did with Frost, and tell him what he expects. I hope that Trev has his list ready.
He had a 22-11 record with a 13-5 conference record? When is the last time our basketball team had 13 conference wins?

Scantleberry was a hotshot from CA. I think Bob was from Geneva. I bet scarletred remembers both.
Scantleberry was from somewhere in Northern California. Might have been the highest rated recruit that Cipriano ever reeled in. Marvin Stewart was another great player at that time that wishes a 3 point line existed.

I pretty much agree with this entire post, except the part about Miles getting ejected for throwing a fit. He got ejected by King Karl Hess, the biggest asshole in the history of college basketball officiating, for trying to point out that the shot clock wasn't running.

I don't bring this up to defend Miles, whose Don Knotts comedy routine grew tired on me pretty quickly. But Hess was an absolute jackass who never should have officiated above junior high school.
The Miles ejection deserved a firing squad for that ref...

The Miles ejection deserved a firing squad for that ref...
I was there. Was confused what was going on. When you compare Miles that day to what they allow coaches like McCaffery, Izzo, many others to do every single game…. You understand how bad the “good old boy” bs that infects college refs is.

Reactions: moralvictories
I like Hoiberg and have seen massive scheme and effort improvement this year. I've seen talent improvement in the last 2 years.
What do we have to lose to give him more time? Weve never been good at basketball and he has a little momentum.

I feel like wed be a tourney team if he could land a legitimate game changing center. A taller Derrick Walker.

I like Hoiberg and have seen massive scheme and effort improvement this year. I've seen talent improvement in the last 2 years.
What do we have to lose to give him more time? Weve never been good at basketball and he has a little momentum.

I feel like wed be a tourney team if he could land a legitimate game changing center. A taller Derrick Walker.
The thing is, why are those who are clamoring to give Fred Hoiberg more time some of the ones who were impatient with Tim Miles? Tim Miles had far more success on the court than Fred Hoiberg ever had.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

His buyout isn’t worth it.. might as well give him more time.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
He had a 22-11 record with a 13-5 conference record? When is the last time our basketball team had 13 conference wins?

You might want to look up how bad the conference was in basketball that season. There's a reason that a 13-5 conference record didn't even get that team on the NCAA bubble - in fact, we were barely on the NIT Bubble and were one of the last teams chosen for the NIT, and proceeded to get blasted in the 1st round. Our S.O.S. was not even in the Top 50 nationally that year.

Compare that to this year where ESPN has our S.O.S. at #1 in the entire country:

The thing is, why are those who are clamoring to give Fred Hoiberg more time some of the ones who were impatient with Tim Miles? Tim Miles had far more success on the court than Fred Hoiberg ever had.

Nobody was impatient with Tim Miles. He got 7 years, with only 1 tourney appearance and 4 losing seasons. He probably should have been fired after 2017.

I'm not sold on Hoiberg either, but he will be long gone before Year 7 if he keeps putting up results like Miles.

Reactions: bigboxes
You might want to look up how bad the conference was in basketball that season. There's a reason that a 13-5 conference record didn't even get that team on the NCAA bubble - in fact, we were barely on the NIT Bubble and were one of the last teams chosen for the NIT, and proceeded to get blasted in the 1st round. Our S.O.S. was not even in the Top 50 nationally that year.

Compare that to this year where ESPN has our S.O.S. at #1 in the entire country:

Cool…
Well he did it twice (finished 4th)..Fred probably would of finished near the bottom

I played with Bob Grattop in a charity game many years ago. He was probably pushing 50 at the time and was still a baller. Nice guy, too. We came within one point of knocking off the Kansas City Chiefs.
Damn that sounds fun.

Reactions: mgbreis
I can't get excited about saying the words "Miles" and "success" in the same sentence. Miles was mostly bad with a few month of competence sprinkled here and there. Hoilberg is markedly worse, but that doesn't mean Miles was successful at all. Both bad.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker

In todays game I think the biggest thing we’re missing is a couple of 6’3”+ guys who can defend and consistently shoot over 30% from 3. Our perimeter shooting is awful.

Damn that sounds fun.
It was fun. The Chiefs were fun to play against and they were really nice guys, but we jumped ahead of them by about 12-13 points in the first half and they were not liking that at all. The prospect of losing to a bunch of old gym rats didn't appeal to them, so they put their foot on the gas the rest of the way.

It was fun. The Chiefs were fun to play against and they were really nice guys, but we jumped ahead of them by about 12-13 points in the first half and they were not liking that at all. The prospect of losing to a bunch of old gym rats didn't appeal to them, so they put their foot on the gas the rest of the way.
I’ve played hoops with guys who played professionally. They had another gear if somebody pissed them off. 6’11” and they could handle the ball and shoot.

In todays game I think the biggest thing we’re missing is a couple of 6’3”+ guys who can defend and consistently shoot over 30% from 3. Our perimeter shooting is awful.
Bingo. Tominanga and Wilcher are huge liabilities. Division 3 players at best.

Down to 8 scholarship players now that Bandoumel is done for the season..

Season starting to really unfold with 7 games remaining…

• Sad
why, again, did our medical staff deem this kid damaged goods?

On May 2, Johnson announced on Instagram that he had been cleared to play. He entered the transfer portal that same month and had narrowed his decision to four schools: Nebraska, Kansas State, Western Kentucky and Memphis. OmahaWH

You expect way too much out of University employees. Most of them can’t be bothered to do more than the basic minimum

On May 2, Johnson announced on Instagram that he had been cleared to play. He entered the transfer portal that same month and had narrowed his decision to four schools: Nebraska, Kansas State, Western Kentucky and Memphis. OmahaWH
neither of these answer my question

why was he not cleared at Nebraska?

Reactions: scarletred

Any other year, a 13-5 conference record would get us in the NCAA tournament. Absolutely ridiculous that we weren't selected for the tournament that year.

Most likely lost in the NIT because they probably felt like they deserved better than the NIT.

Any other year, a 13-5 conference record would get us in the NCAA tournament. Absolutely ridiculous that we weren't selected for the tournament that year.

Most likely lost in the NIT because they probably felt like they deserved better than the NIT.

Not really. Beating a bunch of bad teams does not get you into the NCAA Tournament. The committee is pretty clear about the criteria, it is all about high-quality wins. Half the wins that year came against Quadrant 4 teams.

St Mary's was 28-5 that year, and beat Gonzaga, and still didn't get in the tournament. USC had 23 wins and didn't get in. Mississippi State and Oregon had 22 wins and didn't get in. And the Big Ten was the worst Power 5 conference that year by all metrics.

Not really. Beating a bunch of bad teams does not get you into the NCAA Tournament. The committee is pretty clear about the criteria, it is all about high-quality wins. Half the wins that year came against Quadrant 4 teams.

St Mary's was 28-5 that year, and beat Gonzaga, and still didn't get in the tournament. USC had 23 wins and didn't get in. Mississippi State and Oregon had 22 wins and didn't get in. And the Big Ten was the worst Power 5 conference that year by all metrics.
Yeah there was not a single prognosticator who had NU making the tournament that year. I don’t think any of them even had the Huskers in their First Four Out. That made Tim Miles’s “WE’RE IN!!!” rant even more sad.

Where are you getting your inside info, Timmy? Big Ten Network?

ADVERTISEMENT