ADVERTISEMENT

Apathy

i quit watching at the end of the 1st quarter, tired of watching us get our ass kicked. It was obviously men against boys.
Started flipping around different gamed mid 2nd quarter. Pretty obvious what was gonna happen less than 10 plays into the game.

If anyone is expecting us to get back to the 90’s, that isn’t realistic, but we should demand top 15 type teams, and appearances in the playoffs from time to time. I think we can and should get there.
I’d be happy with any squad the Bobfather put out there. Where’s the Wayne Meylan‘s or Jerry Murtaugh’s ?
in fact Bob Churchich wouldn’t be bad!…I’m old you see?

What should the AD do differently?
Be more committed to NIL with transfers and recruits. If donors can fork over 400 million for stadium renovations they could certainly buy a team.

Look at Oklahoma, Venables was able to completely revamp his defense in an offseason with NIL money. Poaching starting players from several P5 schools

Just seems we’re behind the curve in regards to the current landscape of college football.

Do people really believe this? Do people believe that the athletic department doesn’t care whether the football program is successful or not? I just can’t understand this philosophy. If that were true, why didn’t they hire a nobody for three to $4 million per year and billet as someone who is an up-and-coming? Why go for an established guy like Matt Rhule who has turned around a couple of different programs? This notion just simply doesn’t hold any water for me. The athletic department wants the football team to be a winner. The fact that they aren’t doesn’t mean they don’t care…
I am with you.

Now, there are some schools that clearly don't "care". Most of them happen to be in the Big Ten West, Minny, PU, Illinois, NW, Iowa, they don't care and probably never will. They will talk about making a "commitment to the program" but everyone knows they don't care.

With NIL and transfers, NU no longer that job that has to rely on diamonds in the rough and all that BS.

I wish the NIL "place" would literally act like a job posting site. And why not?

"Help Wanted, one stud QB, looking for completion % over 65%, must have at least 10 career starts, must have more TD's than INT's, must have the ability to make plays with their feet."

Compensation: Starting at 1 million dollars.

Be forward thinking and embrace this job market because that is what it is.

I get the irony that Im posting on a husker board, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. I knew I was teetering but would still get excited for gameday. Im not anymore. Minnesota game I didnt care we lost, knew we would. N Ill didnt really care, was happy to see the new qb. Didnt have any desire to watch La tech, but chalked that up to our opponent. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan.
I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I am not bashing the rhule hire. I think we could get back to respectability with him. Wish hed started five years ago. However there have been some head scratchers thus far, and I think we all kmow rhule has a ceiling and isnt getting us back to national prominence. I think there were better options but that's water under the bridge. Im just tired of all the reasons we cant make bowl games while historically bad teams all around us are, even with first year coaches.

Another year without a bowl game looks all but certain, and while it isnt rhules fault that we’ve been bad for so long, Ive reached apathy.

Id still like to go to a game this year and I have close family going to Lincoln to play so Ill get fired up again and maybe this is just a short phase but its an alarming feeling. Maybe I need a speech from bluto.

Anyone else thinking this?
I’m done. I think the athletic department is taking our money and using it to enrich themselves, like our tax dollars going to Gubmint. They don’t WANT to win… they have the money, but they won’t put it toward athletes and winning. I’m done paying into the system, until they commit to putting a competitive team on the field. This project with Rhule is a f*cking joke.

Be more committed to NIL with transfers and recruits. If donors can fork over 400 million for stadium renovations they could certainly buy a team.

Look at Oklahoma, Venables was able to completely revamp his defense in an offseason with NIL money. Poaching starting players from several P5 schools

Just seems we’re behind the curve in regards to the current landscape of college football.
We’re not just ‘behind’… the reason we are has to be nefarious. It doesn’t make sense. It seems almost intentional…

I wish the NIL "place" would literally act like a job posting site. And why not?

"Help Wanted, one stud QB, looking for completion % over 65%, must have at least 10 career starts, must have more TD's than INT's, must have the ability to make plays with their feet."

Compensation: Starting at 1 million dollars.
Jada Pinkett Smith Interest GIF by Red Table Talk

Problem is, you are expecting Nebraska to do something smart with money. For two decades, one consistent expectation is that NU will bungle anything that involves money. Don’t hold your breath that they will magically do something with NIL?

It’s a good ole boy system that’s been complacent for the last 25 years.
Winning is not a priority in our athletic department. Am done donating. Hope they buy more tractors and invent more lame songs to embarrass us with.

We’re f*cking embarrassing. I brought my kids to the game yesterday, and it was embarrassing. I’m done bringing my kids back, too. It’s just sad. But it’s our own fault. Blame your athletic department, fans. Defund them.

Winning is not a priority in our athletic department. Am done donating. Hope they buy more tractors and invent more lame songs to embarrass us with.

We’re f*cking embarrassing. I brought my kids to the game yesterday, and it was embarrassing. I’m done bringing my kids back, too. It’s just sad. But it’s our own fault. Blame your athletic department, fans. Defund them.
Your posts crack me up!

Picturing you sitting in your own poopy pants next to your kids wearing a huge frown on metal bleachers. LOL.

Very funny. Well done

Do people really believe this? Do people believe that the athletic department doesn’t care whether the football program is successful or not? I just can’t understand this philosophy. If that were true, why didn’t they hire a nobody for three to $4 million per year and billet as someone who is an up-and-coming? Why go for an established guy like Matt Rhule who has turned around a couple of different programs? This notion just simply doesn’t hold any water for me. The athletic department wants the football team to be a winner. The fact that they aren’t doesn’t mean they don’t care…
Have you seen the coaches they brought in?

I get the irony that Im posting on a husker board, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. I knew I was teetering but would still get excited for gameday. Im not anymore. Minnesota game I didnt care we lost, knew we would. N Ill didnt really care, was happy to see the new qb. Didnt have any desire to watch La tech, but chalked that up to our opponent. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan.
I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I am not bashing the rhule hire. I think we could get back to respectability with him. Wish hed started five years ago. However there have been some head scratchers thus far, and I think we all kmow rhule has a ceiling and isnt getting us back to national prominence. I think there were better options but that's water under the bridge. Im just tired of all the reasons we cant make bowl games while historically bad teams all around us are, even with first year coaches.

Another year without a bowl game looks all but certain, and while it isnt rhules fault that we’ve been bad for so long, Ive reached apathy.

Id still like to go to a game this year and I have close family going to Lincoln to play so Ill get fired up again and maybe this is just a short phase but its an alarming feeling. Maybe I need a speech from bluto.

I agree there is no reason to bash Rhule, but it only takes one great player and a few good ones! You have to have a difference maker at quarterback (or a superstar running back) and some good players who can actually support him. We had Tagge, Gil, Frazier, Crouch, T Martinez even Adrian. You had the supporting cast for Taylor Martinez but not the coaching staff. We don’t have to go back to the option but you need to incorporate that with a pro style passing game, I think Rhule will do that over time. If we play well against Illinois and win, I think we’ll be on the cusp of a turn around. Haarberg can win but he is not the one we need, that’s why Rhule kept Raiola, he knows you need a difference maker, Dylan has that potential his uncle just couldn’t deliver. Haarberg can be serviceable but not the kind that will get you to the next level. The staff needs to come together to build the right team which means you don’t have to be great in anyone area but strong in all phases, Rhule will get you there if he gets the right staff, doesn’t appear as though he’s got that yet.

Reactions: huskercabby
Have you seen the coaches they brought in?
I have. Certainly can question some choices, but if the athletic department is living in money grubbing mode, why pay to dollar for Rhule? Why not pay $3 mil per year to the next hotshot coordinator? That would save a ton more money than signing Rhule.

People can say the Athletic department is inept, and that may be true. But I don’t know how people can say the athletic department doesn’t care about winning. If that were the case, hire the OC from Duke and tout him as a miracle worker.

I’d love to know how Duke goes toe to toe with ND and probably recruits 2 to 3x worse than we do via ratings.

Not shitting on Rhule, but we could be way better. And we are not. Great coaches get great play out of anyone. They make them exceed their potential and buy into a team movement towards the top
Totally agree. I’ve had it with all the excuses.

I knew we would lose, had no interest in sitting in the heat, had a new boat to take out and just took the week off. NO REGERTS. We are a very young team, no depth, etc etc etc. I am already getting excited for Illinois Friday. I think we can win 4 more.

2015 was the year that apathy set in for me. For the second time I watched the program that I grew up loving fire a 9-win coach and replace him with a downgrade. The Riley hire was incredibly disappointing because it was clear that the administration didn’t actually care about improving the program. The Frost hire was exciting for about a day or two until I realized he was bringing his entire UCF staff with him. The Rhule hire had similar vibes - excitement until I realized who he hired as his OC. Rhule likely did South Carolina a favor by ridding them of Satterfield.

Bottom line is that I find it difficult to get to attached to a program when I see its leaders make decisions I disagree with time after time, as if they care less about the program than I do.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414

If we don’t beat Illinois, the stadium is going to start looking pretty empty. Deservedly so.

Rhule has coached FIVE!!! Husker gamers. What an overreaction. Doom and Gloom. Rhule was not my choice, but then again, I really did not have one. I think after watching the program since Rhule has taken over I think he has already proven he is more of a leader than either Frost or Riley ever were or could be. What is all this morose over losing badly to Michigan. I will remind all of you how Michigan was once ready to give up on Harbaugh. It took Harbaugh some time to get his players and now he has good players at every position.

Have you guys been watching the West. I think we have a very good chance and are capable of winning 5 of next 7 games. Wisconsin and Maryland are the only teams left that have a pulse. I think how the team plays this week at Illinois will tell us how the rest of the season plays out. Illinois just got beat badly by a not very talented Purdue team. My wife went to Purdue, so I watch a lot of their games. Iowa and Michigan State are both bad. MSU's quarterback Kim lacks talent and Iowa's back-up quarterback who played most of last night's game is not much better. Finally Northwestern should be a win as well. The only two good teams they have played, Penn State and Duke, beat them easily. They are actually playing Howard this week.

I think this team has the talent and ability to go 5-2 the rest of the season. That is as long as Harrberg does not get hurt.

Last edited:
I hoped we’d be more competitive yesterday. I did not expect to win, but thought we might show some progress. We did not.

However, Rhule even said this yesterday- we’re gonna find out what we’re made of Friday. Nebraska has a great opportunity to flush the reality check from yesterday and reboot their season. The last 7 games are all winnable. Time to get better and start stacking some wins.

Do you guys not listen and pay attention? Rhule has told you from day one his style won’t turn it around quickly. His way is hard but long lasting. From the ground up. Depth and culture. Development of players doesn’t mean loser to hero in one offseason. He only has what he has to work with. And if he goes transfer portal poaching too hard it undermines the whole thing. Recruit well. Develop. Have a vision. Get old and stay old. Those are what he’s working for but it doesn’t happen in one offseason. Let’s give it a chance. Delayed gratification is almost always better than instant. This fanbase embarrasses me.

I guess I feel pretty much the same about this team as I always have. Pissed when they lose, elated with the wins and REALLY pissed when they suck. My expectations, however, have gone way down. I do think a little apathy in some fans is a good thing. When you let a loss, in a GAME played by a bunch of kids that you have no real connection to ruin your week something is wrong. Believe me, after 24 years as an officer in the USMC a fb game is not all that important.

After half time the camera scanned the stadium and it appeared to me that it was less than half full. The scan showed the east side and the south side. That pretty much says it all.
When Barry Switzer was laying half a hundred on Tom Osborne the stadium emptied out early as well. Message boards like Inside Nebraska did not exist then but the clamor around water coolers, saloons and after Church was that we would never win against Oklahoma and get into the Orange Bowl if we didn't get rid of Tom Osborne. Just on observation from history.

Do you guys not listen and pay attention? Rhule has told you from day one his style won’t turn it around quickly. His way is hard but long lasting. From the ground up. Depth and culture. Development of players doesn’t mean loser to hero in one offseason. He only has what he has to work with. And if he goes transfer portal poaching too hard it undermines the whole thing. Recruit well. Develop. Have a vision. Get old and stay old. Those are what he’s working for but it doesn’t happen in one offseason. Let’s give it a chance. Delayed gratification is almost always better than instant. This fanbase embarrasses me.
I agree with everything you said in your post. Here's the reality, the Gen Xers and older don't have 20 years on their life clock to wait for championship football. The Millennials and younger don't have the attention span. Many other college programs have figured this out. Nebraska has not.

Where exactly has Rhule been a long lasting coach?

Sounds like you just need to see some positive movement in the win column before getting back into things. Fairly understandable. It's not like you're making a decision to never be crazy passionate about the team ever again.

Let the season play out. If you want to watch the game watch it. If you don't, don't.

I don't know how I would describe my mentality as a fan, but I will say this. I was more pissed off by the Minnesota loss than any other loss the past decade. Simply because we dominated that game and we beat ourselves again. Plus I felt and still feel that game could be the difference between this team winning and losing the west.

I was not happy with the performance yesterday, but I don't think it was a great representation of the team and the future. I also came away very impressed with Michigan. That team is built to win a National Championship.

We have a lot to play for and Friday will tell us a lot. If this team can respond with a W on the road, after a physical beating like that on a short week. There will be a completely different vibe in husker nation.

If you google or look in a dictionary apathetic means you do not care. So, I will raise you $9.95+tax to challenge your reason to continue to pay $9.95+tax to declare to Nebraska fans that you no longer care about Nebraska Football. There are plenty of teams out there that you can feel proud of... Michigan, Colorado, Oregon, Texas even Iowa Rivals boards that would love to have your $9.95+tax so you can be happy rather than apathetic and wasting time and money here.

Yeah, I'm listening. Self serving BS salesman talk. He has NEVER stuck it out anywhere.
Four years at Temple, Three at Baylor. Two and a half at Carolina. Gives him an overall record of 60-73.
One conference championship. Two division championships. All at Temple. The American Conference.
If you study trends and statistics you'll understand he won't be around long
enough to turn it around. He'll either get fired or if he has reasonable success will high tail it elsewhere. Either that or he wins a few games and Alberts will panic and give him an extension.

I see one of two scenarios regarding Rhule.

1. In about 4-5 years he wins a B1G west title and goes to Penn State when they get sick of no conf. titles from Franklin.

In 6 years when he's finishing 8-5 for three years in a row, no new contract. New A.D. Danny White hires Zach Taylor after he fails to win w Burrow.

Reactions: huskercabby
I still care enough to follow the team and get upset after every game. What has changed is that I put the Nebraska game on the second screen with no audio and watch more competitive games on my main TV.

I had no expectations for this year but disappointed to see we have made no progress and still making the same mistakes. I wrote this season off after how we lost the Minnesota game. I'm willing to wait until next year and see what Rhule does with recruiting and the portal. I'm hoping he hits it hard and all the new recruits make a difference. If Rhule can't put together an offense after year 3, it's never gonna happen.

Yeah, I'm listening. Self serving BS salesman talk. He has NEVER stuck it out anywhere.
Four years at Temple, Three at Baylor. Two and a half at Carolina. Gives him an overall record of 60-73.
One conference championship. Two division championships. All at Temple. The American Conference.
enough to turn it around. He'll either get fired or if he has reasonable success will high tail it elsewhere. Either that or he wins a few games and Alberts will panic and give him an extension.
So you’re blaming him for taking temple to never before seen heights and then leaving for a P5 opportunity in baylor? Then taking a near death penalty baylor program and getting them to 11-1 in year three? And we’re blaming him for jumping to the nfl, where it didn’t work out? Much like it didn’t work out for spurrier, Saban and Meyer? The guy has taken two dogshit programs and made them winners but we’re just going to ignore the starting vs finished products because it fits your cry baby narrative to look at overall record? Go find another program. We don’t need agenda driven stat cherry picking fans.

You may be right. He may be a short-timer that jumps to the next place. Or, and hear me out, the infrastructure is being built to be successful for years. If he has success here, the facilities will rival the best in the nation. If, and it’s a big if, we can utilize NIL effectively, he could bring in better and better talent to contend for things. And if he finds that success, this could be the top rung on the ladder for him.

But you are right, he could also go elsewhere. And if it’s due to success that he goes elsewhere, I’m gonna be happy we brought him in to start the turnaround, and then hope like crazy his replacement can keep it going.

Crazy optimist that I am.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I still watch all of our games on TV but have lost the desire to go in person which use to be the highlight of my year. Had free tickets twice last year and did not use them either time.

Another thing that has happened is I care a lot less about college football. If we were top 20 I’d be watching the other top 20 to see who would lose so we could move up. Now if there is a good matchup on I’ll watch some of it but more to just see some quality football rather than caring who wins and loses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT