ADVERTISEMENT

Apathy

Your posts crack me up!

Picturing you sitting in your own poopy pants next to your kids wearing a huge frown on metal bleachers. LOL.

Very funny. Well done
Bein serious. I think our athletic department is badly mismanaging our football program, and I’m done supporting them monetarily. Guarantee I’m not alone in this sentiment…

Bein serious. I think our athletic department is badly mismanaging our football program, and I’m done supporting them monetarily. Guarantee I’m not alone in this sentiment…
Bein serious, I am going to grill Wimmers hot dogs tonight and cover them with chili without beins with grated sharp cheddar cheese. I believe that Nebraska's athletic department is in good hands. Guarantee I'm not alone in this sentiment...

Reactions: timnsun and Tetonia
If anyone is expecting us to get back to the 90’s, that isn’t realistic, but we should demand top 15 type teams, and appearances in the playoffs from time to time. I think we can and should get there.
What right do you or anyone have to demand anything from Nebraska athletics? You are owed what?

We all have the right to demand it. They use the fan support as a reason to tout the program, people spend a fortune on traveling and supporting the team, they currently want hundreds of millions of dollars from us, and it's a public university. The people that support it have the right to demand results.

Reactions: InMotion
We all have the right to demand it. They use the fan support as a reason to tout the program, people spend a fortune on traveling and supporting the team, they currently want hundreds of millions of dollars from us, and it's a public university. The people that support it have the right to demand results.
You go, girl, or... guy!

it's quite a hot take that the investors get no say in how the business is run...not sure there's many supporters for that position.

When Barry Switzer was laying half a hundred on Tom Osborne the stadium emptied out early as well. Message boards like Inside Nebraska did not exist then but the clamor around water coolers, saloons and after Church was that we would never win against Oklahoma and get into the Orange Bowl if we didn't get rid of Tom Osborne. Just on observation from history
Will you kindly detail all the times Switzer laid “half a hundred” on Osborne in Lincoln (or Norman for that matter)

Thanks. Us youngsters need a history lesson

I get the irony that Im posting on a husker board, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. I knew I was teetering but would still get excited for gameday. Im not anymore. Minnesota game I didnt care we lost, knew we would. N Ill didnt really care, was happy to see the new qb. Didnt have any desire to watch La tech, but chalked that up to our opponent. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan.
I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I am not bashing the rhule hire. I think we could get back to respectability with him. Wish hed started five years ago. However there have been some head scratchers thus far, and I think we all kmow rhule has a ceiling and isnt getting us back to national prominence. I think there were better options but that's water under the bridge. Im just tired of all the reasons we cant make bowl games while historically bad teams all around us are, even with first year coaches.

Another year without a bowl game looks all but certain, and while it isnt rhules fault that we’ve been bad for so long, Ive reached apathy.

Id still like to go to a game this year and I have close family going to Lincoln to play so Ill get fired up again and maybe this is just a short phase but its an alarming feeling. Maybe I need a speech from bluto.

Anyone else thinking this?
been teetering for years.. I put one foot out a few years ago.. still keep one in, but it's given me a new perspective.. In success circles, you are who you hang out with.. now I'm not sure if the team you root for has a similar effect, but it's also why I have one foot out.

I'm on a way different time zone overseas, but even when I have been in the US, I have missed the first quarter, or first half with a lot of frequency over the years. I missed the first half of Saturdays game just because it started at like 3am my time.

I think we can get to a bowl game, so I'm not too worried about things right now, but my mental investment in the program is a lot less than it used to be. In reality, bowl games don't mean crap either.. but it would just show some progress for the player and staff.

I'm seeing a lot of things going to crap in the country.. so it's not just Nebraska football, and I have to limit exposure to that stuff or it gives me a bad outlook and ruins my day. I think this has been studied and watching the news and stuff is supposed to be bad for your mental and emotional health.

Anyway, I don't like to let outside crap affect me. Control what I can, try to do my best, and to heck with the rest of it, including Nebraska football, if it's effecting me negatively.

Will you kindly detail all the times Switzer laid “half a hundred” on Osborne in Lincoln (or Norman for that matter)

Thanks. Us youngsters need a history lesson
Barry never scored 50 on Nebraska but I get the sentiment. They used to kick our butts all over field. Us and everyone else.

When Barry Switzer was laying half a hundred on Tom Osborne the stadium emptied out early as well. Just on observation from history.
Newsflash - Switzer never scored 50 on Nebraska in Lincoln or in Norman. He also never scored 40.

The most he ever scored in Lincoln was 28.

Switzer’s largest margin of victory in Lincoln was 14 pts in a game that was tied going into the 4th quarter. I highly doubt “the stadium emptied out early”

I see we are already at the point where people are flat out making sh*t up to advance a narrative

Last edited:
So you’re blaming him for taking temple to never before seen heights and then leaving for a P5 opportunity in baylor? Then taking a near death penalty baylor program and getting them to 11-1 in year three? And we’re blaming him for jumping to the nfl, where it didn’t work out? Much like it didn’t work out for spurrier, Saban and Meyer? The guy has taken two dogshit programs and made them winners but we’re just going to ignore the starting vs finished products because it fits your cry baby narrative to look at overall record? Go find another program. We don’t need agenda driven stat cherry picking fans.
Not so fast my friend. Thats myth.
Al Golden had some good things going at Temple, handed off the reigns to Steve Adazio, who continued a Bo Pelini type success before going 4-7 in 2012.
Look up Temple's seasons Pryor to Rhule's short time there. It was not the football wasteland Nebraska fans were led to believe.
Rhule's first year at Baylor was the worst record at that school since the 60's.
No argument with you if Rhule put together an 11-1 season at Baylor. But I don't think that ever happened.

Last edited:
My apathy started toward the end of the Bo era. It set in fully with Riley. And Frost didn't change a thing. Not even when he was first hired.

The hiring of Rhule actually got me out of it. And it still does. He wasn't my first choice, but he was close. And I still think think he can at least get us back to 9-10 win seasons.

Last edited:
We can disagree with Rhules coaching philosophy but give the guy a chance. If he loses half his 24 recruits and fails to adequately replace them, then maybe we have something to complain about. But let’s give him three years and see where we’re at. He’s upgrading the stars and the speed on this class and he’s going for some bigger named players that Frost would never have considered. With the schedule we have remaining if we end up at five wins great, if not just resign Frost and Whipple. We will be okay!!!

I realize the hope is we will be good by the time the remodel is done and that will increase demand, but check out the schedules starting next year. This conference is a bear.
That's the thing with this super conference crap. There will be talented teams with great coaching and great fan support that will need to satisfied with going .500 in their conference.

Reactions: kevingne
I'd be willing to stay engaged if the athletic department promised to NEVER play that stupid, idiotic Irish song EVER again. I can't even bring myself to speak those innane lyrics. Just mind-numbingly embarrassing.

I believe that until the athletic department starts to lose money there will be no incentive to field a winning football team.
What more can they do? Hired a coach and paid big bucks for him and his staff. New facilities everyone was sure would make recruitment take off.

They don't coach, they give the coaches support both financially and emotionally.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
What more can they do? Hired a coach and paid big bucks for him and his staff. New facilities everyone was sure would make recruitment take off.

They don't coach, they give the coaches support both financially and emotionally.
As I said in an earlier response they need to invest more money in NIL. You don’t develop teams anymore, you buy them.

The new facility is fugly looking. Doesn’t match any of the architecture. Looks like it’s from wish.com

I have no issue with questioning any staff, but.......

Who in their right mind seriously thought that this roster was going to perform other than how it has? Yes, there are four stars throughout the roster but are they the right kind of four stars? I don't like bagging on players but all of us can name highly recruited players who are just not living up to their HS hype.

To what extent was the staff expected to perform miracles with that? It kills me that so many here acknowledged when Rhule was hired that six wins would be great. Yet when the team lays an egg against the #2 team in the country, with a roster that any program would envy, those same posters are ready to toss the season in the dumpster. Serious question: what did you expect?

Rhule should get three to four years to set HIS roster with HIS players and THEN he can be fairly judged on the roster AND the staff.
Im not sure if your post is directed to me, but it does not apply to me. This is not a reaction to losing to the number 2 team in the country. This is a feeling of apathy before we even played the game, or games before this one.
I thought wed win as many as 8. New transfer qb is a disaster and clearly worse than what we had, bonehead playcalls and personnel issues, some of this is on rhule year one or not, period. Theres improvements to but apathy.

I also believe part of the apathy is the big ten. I have no desire to watch purdue or maryland, among other teams. Just terrible opponents. Every other conference is better to watch.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Im not sure if your post is directed to me, but it does not apply to me. This is not a reaction to losing to the number 2 team in the country. This is a feeling of apathy before we even played the game, or games before this one.
I thought wed win as many as 8. New transfer qb is a disaster and clearly worse than what we had, bonehead playcalls and personnel issues, some of this is on rhule year one or not, period. Theres improvements to but apathy.

I also believe part of the apathy is the big ten. I have no desire to watch purdue or maryland, among other teams. Just terrible opponents. Every other conference is better to watch.
Not directed at you, and I should have said that at the start. My beef is a more general one that, IMO, involves moving goalposts.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I agree there is no reason to bash Rhule, but it only takes one great player and a few good ones! You have to have a difference maker at quarterback (or a superstar running back) and some good players who can actually support him. We had Tagge, Gil, Frazier, Crouch, T Martinez even Adrian. You had the supporting cast for Taylor Martinez but not the coaching staff. We don’t have to go back to the option but you need to incorporate that with a pro style passing game, I think Rhule will do that over time. If we play well against Illinois and win, I think we’ll be on the cusp of a turn around. Haarberg can win but he is not the one we need, that’s why Rhule kept Raiola, he knows you need a difference maker, Dylan has that potential his uncle just couldn’t deliver. Haarberg can be serviceable but not the kind that will get you to the next level. The staff needs to come together to build the right team which means you don’t have to be great in anyone area but strong in all phases, Rhule will get you there if he gets the right staff, doesn’t appear as though he’s got that yet.

We’re not just ‘behind’… the reason we are has to be nefarious. It doesn’t make sense. It seems almost intentional…
I dont think its nefarious or intentional.

However, it is mind boggling.

Consider this: when you factor in money spent, brand, resources, amenities, and fan support….Nebraska has gotten the worst output from their input of any college football program the past 10 years and each and every year in those ten years, and its not even close.

Its flabbergasting. Beating Iowa in our worst year ever doesnt make up for that.

If you google or look in a dictionary apathetic means you do not care. So, I will raise you $9.95+tax to challenge your reason to continue to pay $9.95+tax to declare to Nebraska fans that you no longer care about Nebraska Football. There are plenty of teams out there that you can feel proud of... Michigan, Colorado, Oregon, Texas even Iowa Rivals boards that would love to have your $9.95+tax so you can be happy rather than apathetic and wasting time and money here.
I pay nothing and im not on here much. Its not a good feeling or one im proud of.

You may be right. He may be a short-timer that jumps to the next place. Or, and hear me out, the infrastructure is being built to be successful for years. If he has success here, the facilities will rival the best in the nation. If, and it’s a big if, we can utilize NIL effectively, he could bring in better and better talent to contend for things. And if he finds that success, this could be the top rung on the ladder for him.

But you are right, he could also go elsewhere. And if it’s due to success that he goes elsewhere, I’m gonna be happy we brought him in to start the turnaround, and then hope like crazy his replacement can keep it going.

Crazy optimist that I am.
I didnt mean for this thread to turn into a rhule good or bad thread. As I said in my post I think hes a casualty of the past regarding my apathy. Its all built up so much and obvious we arent going to really get better any time soon so here I am. Like I said I wish rhule had started five years ago but here we are.

Barry never scored 50 on Nebraska but I get the sentiment. They used to kick our butts all over field. Us and everyone else.
Yep. Right after we lost to minnesota and colorado, and after not making bowl games for six consecutive years…

Oh wait.

Newsflash - Switzer never scored 50 on Nebraska in Lincoln or in Norman. He also never scored 40.

The most he ever scored in Lincoln was 28.

Switzer’s largest margin of victory in Lincoln was 14 pts in a game that was tied going into the 4th quarter. I highly doubt “the stadium emptied out early”

I see we are already at the point where people are flat out making sh*t up to advance a narrative
I cant stand the osborne stuff. Same was said for riley and frost,

The situations cant possibly be any different.

we all knew it'd be a shitty year.

look at his first year at Baylor, got boat-raced by much weaker Oklahoma State & Texas teams.

However, we really need Mickey Joseph back. You need to recruit difference makers that Joseph attracted with teams like USC, Oregon and Washington joining

we all knew it'd be a shitty year.

look at his first year at Baylor, got boat-raced by much weaker Oklahoma State & Texas teams.

However, we really need Mickey Joseph back. You need to recruit difference makers that Joseph attracted with teams like USC, Oregon and Washington joining
MJ has a chokehold on recruiting

With the transfer portal it is easy to assume that NU will have a lot of new players next year and be much better. So that is a good feeling.

There will be a new QB for sure
There will be 2-3 new WR's that actually have experience and are good
There will be 2 new RB's
There will be 3-4 new OL
There will be 3-4 new LBers.
How many of them will pan out and be at least decent? 1/3 of them? Maybe 2-3.

I perceived our team as being very flat yesterday and Rhule alluded to it. It seems almost across the board the players, coaches, and fans figured it was going to be a loss and we all were just going through the motions. I don't know what the answer is to turning around this feeling whether you call it apathy or malaise or whatever, but there is defiantly a "pall" over the program.
It was clear they were only going through the motions. 6 carries by Grant says they were just giving him the week off, so to save him for the rest of the season in games we have a shot at. I can’t say I disagree with the approach.

It was clear they were only going through the motions. 6 carries by Grant says they were just giving him the week off, so to save him for the rest of the season in games we have a shot at. I can’t say I disagree with the approach.
Winning culture at its best.

I perceived our team as being very flat yesterday and Rhule alluded to it. It seems almost across the board the players, coaches, and fans figured it was going to be a loss and we all were just going through the motions. I don't know what the answer is to turning around this feeling whether you call it apathy or malaise or whatever, but there is defiantly a "pall" over the program.
Start by winning Friday and finding 3 more wins after that.

Shouldn't we? I guess you could just stop watching and find another team to be a fan of.

It's been five games.
We are 2-3. I’m not asking for him to be fired you moron. But if I’m critical I should find another team to cheer for? You take this joint too seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT