ADVERTISEMENT

Apathy

huskerfan1414

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2014
I get the irony that Im posting on a husker board, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. I knew I was teetering but would still get excited for gameday. Im not anymore. Minnesota game I didnt care we lost, knew we would. N Ill didnt really care, was happy to see the new qb. Didnt have any desire to watch La tech, but chalked that up to our opponent. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan.
I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I am not bashing the rhule hire. I think we could get back to respectability with him. Wish hed started five years ago. However there have been some head scratchers thus far, and I think we all kmow rhule has a ceiling and isnt getting us back to national prominence. I think there were better options but that's water under the bridge. Im just tired of all the reasons we cant make bowl games while historically bad teams all around us are, even with first year coaches.

Another year without a bowl game looks all but certain, and while it isnt rhules fault that we’ve been bad for so long, Ive reached apathy.

Id still like to go to a game this year and I have close family going to Lincoln to play so Ill get fired up again and maybe this is just a short phase but its an alarming feeling. Maybe I need a speech from bluto.

Anyone else thinking this?

Nebraska football for me has turned from nervous, edgy feeling all during the week then be crushed for days if they lost a game like Michigan or other teams you were anxious to see the Huskers play, to just watching casually knowing they probably won't win.

In other words, it doesn't wreck my week or weekend anymore like it used to, and that's a sad statement on all things Husker football for me.

I didn't watch much of the game after the Wolverines scored on their first 2 possessions. That was exactly the scenario that we couldn't allow to happen.

Apathy sucks. I wait all year for the next season of Husker football and then become disinterested in games once it looks like another loss.

I get the irony that Im posting on a husker board, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. I knew I was teetering but would still get excited for gameday. Im not anymore. Minnesota game I didnt care we lost, knew we would. N Ill didnt really care, was happy to see the new qb. Didnt have any desire to watch La tech, but chalked that up to our opponent. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan.
I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I am not bashing the rhule hire. I think we could get back to respectability with him. Wish hed started five years ago. However there have been some head scratchers thus far, and I think we all kmow rhule has a ceiling and isnt getting us back to national prominence. I think there were better options but that's water under the bridge. Im just tired of all the reasons we cant make bowl games while historically bad teams all around us are, even with first year coaches.

Another year without a bowl game looks all but certain, and while it isnt rhules fault that we’ve been bad for so long, Ive reached apathy.

Id still like to go to a game this year and I have close family going to Lincoln to play so Ill get fired up again and maybe this is just a short phase but its an alarming feeling. Maybe I need a speech from bluto.

Excellent post, as usual!!! Love your input!

Hey, bro if you need a ticket to a game let me know.

Reactions: c3o
Itll be tough. This team is offensivelu challenged. Unless they have some offensive gameplan theyve been holding off for these next 4 we are in trouble. Could win them all but they would have to play better than they have yet in all 4.
Most everyone else on the schedule is in the same boat. Getting a win a Friday and into the bye at 3-3 is a great start.

After half time the camera scanned the stadium and it appeared to me that it was less than half full. The scan showed the east side and the south side. That pretty much says it all.

My fears the past few years have been that apathy would set in. I think it has for me. Thought maybe Id get fired up for michigan. I watched maybe ten plays yesterday. I knew we’d lose. Its to the point where I realize we dont have a chance.

I'm not apathetic, but I'm not all that far away either. When the same old stupid is on display or any of the other problems surface. I check out mentally. For me, it just isn't worth getting upset over. I'll keep it positive while I'm at the game. If you saw Level 3 East Stadium you would have noticed a lot of empty seats at halftime. Many didn't come back. I stayed well into the 2nd half and when I finally left, I noticed that there were a ton of people that just chose tailgating over watching the 2nd half.

For a lot of people these days, the game day experience is what keeps them coming back to the stadium and not the team.

I believe that until the athletic department starts to lose money there will be no incentive to field a winning football team.
Do people really believe this? Do people believe that the athletic department doesn’t care whether the football program is successful or not? I just can’t understand this philosophy. If that were true, why didn’t they hire a nobody for three to $4 million per year and billet as someone who is an up-and-coming? Why go for an established guy like Matt Rhule who has turned around a couple of different programs? This notion just simply doesn’t hold any water for me. The athletic department wants the football team to be a winner. The fact that they aren’t doesn’t mean they don’t care…

You can't see 4 wins on the schedule?
The team that blew a Minnesota victory? The most optimistic of us would label every game a toss up.
We are NOT a good football team.
I observed a play yesterday in which a nearly field level view showed our star reciever surrounded by much taller db's. How a qb could even find him much less vertically drop a ball in their is beyond me. He looked like a tourist looking up at buildings on Wall Street.

After half time the camera scanned the stadium and it appeared to me that it was less than half full. The scan showed the east side and the south side. That pretty much says it all.
There is a lot of apathy, but most people would have likely stayed longer if it wasn't 98° and the sun wasn't frying all of us. I really hope part of the stadium project is looking at adding weather cover, particularly for the balcony seats. Sort of like what Oregon has on Autzen.

You can't see 4 wins on the schedule?
I get what he is saying....and if you think about it, this is a perfect example. I am not knocking you at all, Johnny. I have done/do the exact same thing. Basically, "Well...we suck again, but what low hanging fruit that is about as terrible as us can we pick off and just hope to make a bowl game?"

It's really hard when you see other programs under new leadership show a marked improvement very early. I am NOT dumping on Rhule here, either. He may get it turned around and may be the guy. After 22 years of NOT showing NU can compete at the highest level, there's something in all of us that just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

With the transfer portal it is easy to assume that NU will have a lot of new players next year and be much better. So that is a good feeling.

There will be a new QB for sure
There will be 2-3 new WR's that actually have experience and are good
There will be 2 new RB's
There will be 3-4 new OL
There will be 3-4 new LBers.

Apathy. Just wait until those 20,000+ primo seats with no ”donation” requirement lose their grandfather status after the remodel. Even with a reduction of 12,000 seats from 87k to 75k it will be interesting to see how the sellout streak works out as all of the multi-generation fans are forced to dig deep into their wallets to keep their seats. Trev better hide his text and email contact.😀 I realize the hope is we will be good by the time the remodel is done and that will increase demand, but check out the schedules starting next year. This conference is a bear.

Last edited:
Do people really believe this? Do people believe that the athletic department doesn’t care whether the football program is successful or not? I just can’t understand this philosophy. If that were true, why didn’t they hire a nobody for three to $4 million per year and billet as someone who is an up-and-coming? Why go for an established guy like Matt Rhule who has turned around a couple of different programs? This notion just simply doesn’t hold any water for me. The athletic department wants the football team to be a winner. The fact that they aren’t doesn’t mean they don’t care…
No but consider who the poster is..

Reactions: timnsun
The athletic department wants to win but the last decade or so has firmly informed them that the money will keep flowing win or lose.
I don’t think conference payouts should be equally distributed. Indiana shouldn’t receive the same paycheck as Michigan.
Winning should be rewarded more heavily.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I have no issue with questioning any staff, but.......

Who in their right mind seriously thought that this roster was going to perform other than how it has? Yes, there are four stars throughout the roster but are they the right kind of four stars? I don't like bagging on players but all of us can name highly recruited players who are just not living up to their HS hype.

To what extent was the staff expected to perform miracles with that? It kills me that so many here acknowledged when Rhule was hired that six wins would be great. Yet when the team lays an egg against the #2 team in the country, with a roster that any program would envy, those same posters are ready to toss the season in the dumpster. Serious question: what did you expect?

Rhule should get three to four years to set HIS roster with HIS players and THEN he can be fairly judged on the roster AND the staff.

I’d love to know how Duke goes toe to toe with ND and probably recruits 2 to 3x worse than we do via ratings.

Not shitting on Rhule, but we could be way better. And we are not. Great coaches get great play out of anyone. They make them exceed their potential and buy into a team movement towards the top

I get the apathy for the last 3 years of the frost tenure, but this is not that time. I also get the incredible frustration of getting boatraced on national tv again, but the year is young, and, for me at least, there is hope remaining for the rest of this season. I saw a downfield passing game against a good team….that can evolve into a potential weapon.

But again, let me be clear, I get the apathy and reversing that needs to be earned by the team and program. I’m oddly positive after the game yesterday. I feel like I know who we are, what we are, and how to win games going forward.

With the transfer portal it is easy to assume that NU will have a lot of new players next year and be much better. So that is a good feeling.

There will be 2 new RB's
There will be 3-4 new OL
We would be lucky to get 3 of the players listed above as major contributors.

The athletic department wants to win but the last decade or so has firmly informed them that the money will keep flowing win or lose.
I don’t think conference payouts should be equally distributed. Indiana shouldn’t receive the same paycheck as Michigan.
Winning should be rewarded more heavily.
But the other poster said the AD doesn’t care if they win. Hiring Rhule suggests that they do, in fact, care about the football team winning.

But the other poster said the AD doesn’t care if they win. Hiring Rhule suggests that they do, in fact, care about the football team winning.
What incentive is there when you 97k nut huggers pay just as much to show up for volleyball? Trev is good at transposing an athletic program's #1 revenue sport, he just might do it again.

I’d love to know how Duke goes toe to toe with ND and probably recruits 2 to 3x worse than we do via ratings.

Not shitting on Rhule, but we could be way better. And we are not. Great coaches get great play out of anyone. They make them exceed their potential and buy into a team movement towards the top
It’s only been 5 games and unfortunately he doesn’t have a QB like Riley Leonard.. Will see how Duke is now the rest of the year without him..

It’s only been 5 games and unfortunately he doesn’t have a QB like Riley Leonard.. Will see how Duke is now the rest of the year without him..
oh I agree. But our coaching has been less than spectacular on every phase including development. I mean here we are left with only hope that rhule will turn it around. It’s like Groundhog Day every season

I perceived our team as being very flat yesterday and Rhule alluded to it. It seems almost across the board the players, coaches, and fans figured it was going to be a loss and we all were just going through the motions. I don't know what the answer is to turning around this feeling whether you call it apathy or malaise or whatever, but there is defiantly a "pall" over the program.

I agree that the university does care and want a winning program - the problem is they have demonstrated they are completely incapable of doing it. The money the university has spent contrasted with the result is just one more bullet point in the long list that non-Nebraska fans continue to enjoy at our expense.

The sooner we accept Nebraska will not be great again, the sooner we can get over the emotional rollercoaster of high offseason expectations and bottom barrel actual results. It doesn’t mean Nebraska won’t have loyal fans. Just look at surrounding schools - Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado, K State, Missouri, etc. None have been or will be great, but they all have true followers and occasionally have a decent few seasons now and then.

The sooner we accept reality, the easier it is.

Reactions: American Horse

So what is Rhule's ceiling and who were the available better options? Not bashing, just asking

There will be 2 new RB's
There will be 3-4 new OL
Hope the folks in charge of NIL deals are willing or able to write some large checks to make that happen.

Apathy. Just wait until those 20,000+ primo seats with no ”donation” requirement lose their grandfather status after the remodel. Even with a reduction of 12,000 seats from 87k to 75k it will be interesting to see how the sellout streak works out as all of the multi-generation fans are forced to dig deep into their wallets to keep their seats. Trev better hide his text and email contact.😀 I realize the hope is we will be good by the time the remodel is done and that will increase demand, but check out the schedules starting next year. This conference is a bear.
Makes that 3rd year of Rhule pretty damn important.

i quit watching at the end of the 1st quarter, tired of watching us get our ass kicked. It was obviously men against boys.

Reactions: pascal and JOHNNY N
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT