ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama QB Ty Simpson to portal?

AzRed8

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Lots of talk about him going into the portal. Alabama has a bunch of quality QB’s. Hope we can get in on these type QB’s in the portal.
I trust Rhule and staff will be all over the portal for a QB.
GBR

Reactions: Laner2
I expect him, Malik Murphy, Brock Vandagriff and many others to hit the portal. Thankfully TN has a bunch of QB so they won’t be in the market.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Lots of talk about him going into the portal. Alabama has a bunch of quality QB’s. Hope we can get in on these type QB’s in the portal.
I trust Rhule and staff will be all over the portal for a QB.
GBR
There should be plenty of decent QB prospects available in the portal because as we all know talented QBs don't want to be on the bench as No. 2. The challenge is for Rhule to actually pick the right one this time and have the NIL lined up to land him.

Need a new OL too if your going to bring in a true pocket passer.

Edit: to add to this I’d like them to go after the names mentioned, and perhaps try to get Zane Flores. He would be a nice addition for the future.
I don’t know much about him, other than he’s labeled a “Pro” style QB. He had a 78 yard run today though 👀 I wonder how mobile he really is though.

Edit: Just saw the highlight…should’ve been a 79 yard run… 😂

There should be plenty of decent QB prospects available in the portal because as we all know talented QBs don't want to be on the bench as No. 2. The challenge is for Rhule to actually pick the right one this time and have the NIL lined up to land him.
I’m guessing they’re dying to come here when they see how young the mid to low 3* are. And some 2* in the mix. I bet a 5* will choose us over a top 40 program LOL.

Need a new OL too if your going to bring in a true pocket passer.

Edit: to add to this I’d like them to go after the names mentioned, and perhaps try to get Zane Flores. He would be a nice addition for the future.
Get the QB first and the other offensive positions will follow…..have to get the QB though.

Spend whatever it takes. Cut NIL from as many walk ons or backups that you need to

That’s it really. Can our staff identify the right guy and then get him. There will be 6-10 QBs that will automatically make your team significantly better. Can we get one of them..?

I’m guessing they’re dying to come here when they see how young the mid to low 3* are. And some 2* in the mix. I bet a 5* will choose us over a top 40 program LOL.

You pay’em and they will come. We’ll have to over spend a bit, because that’s what middling programs have to do. But money talks, and many of these kids will go to whoever will pay them the most. Just like you, just like me or any other professional in any other industry.

Reactions: oldjar07
You pay’em and they will come. We’ll have to over spend a bit, because that’s what middling programs have to do. But money talks, and many of these kids will go to whoever will pay them the most. Just like you, just like me or any other professional in any other industry.

That's the issue...NUs NIL bucket isn't big enough for the BIG fish, let alone overspending or outbidding for them

• Sad
Reactions: V-Doub
That's the issue...NUs NIL bucket isn't big enough for the BIG fish, let alone overspending or outbidding for them
Sounds like it is spread too thin as well. I would be fine without giving a single dollar of NIL to walkons. They aren’t why the program makes money. They can earn NIL eventually if they get put on scholarship or become a starter.

All NIL going to someone not on the team should be directed towards one qb. Find the top 6 or so guys and start throwing money around.

Punter should be taken care of with Koch's kid. Probably need a LB or 2 but not at the expense of a real qb.

Edit: how could I forget about OT? Probably need to target a lower level guy. OT's seem to be like DT's. Good ones don't generally leave.

Wasn't that one of the Alabama qbs who struggled this year when Bama sucked? Would rather get someone from G5 honestly. Who is successful. QB position is unique in that either people can see the field, or they can't.
I am with you. I think the thread turned into generalization though, because I personally dont think we should get Ty Simpson, and most agree it seems.
We need a Will Rogers. The backup for Utah is going to the portal, he won a few games. That kid from Holy Cross.
And several others.
Problem is, you won’t get two highly proven guys because the top dog you get will want to be a “lock” to start. So the second QB will need to be a Lincoln Kienholz type that just won’t get any snaps at their current school.
I know we can use other positions as well but QB is so glaring the rest all take a back seat.

Reactions: Truewooper
At this point I would say every penny of NIL money goes to Football first, men's BB second. Those two programs need to be the marquee/face of the athletic department.

Volleyball is nice, but I would sacrifice that entire program to make sure the football team and men's BB teams succeed.

There will be 40 qbs that would be an upgrade on this team.

True, but there’s probably only 8-15ish that will change your program significantly. Michael Penix, Quinn Ewers, DJ Uiagalelei, Caleb Williams, Bo Nix, Jordan Travis, Jayden Daniels etc… But yeah, there’s a lot of QBs that will be a clear upgrade.

I am with you. I think the thread turned into generalization though, because I personally dont think we should get Ty Simpson, and most agree it seems.
We need a Will Rogers. The backup for Utah is going to the portal, he won a few games. That kid from Holy Cross.
And several others.
Problem is, you won’t get two highly proven guys because the top dog you get will want to be a “lock” to start. So the second QB will need to be a Lincoln Kienholz type that just won’t get any snaps at their current school.
I know we can use other positions as well but QB is so glaring the rest all take a back seat.
That’s why you take 1 highly rated ($$$) junior/senior, that will 90+% start, but you tell him there will be a competition. (that he will likely win, be transparent) Then take another sophomore with a redshirt year, probably G5 or lower level guy, tell him there will be a competition. You’ll get a fair shot, but we’re also bringing Johnny Big Buck$ and by all accounts he’s pretty good. That’s how, IMO, you get 2 portal QBs.

Last edited:
At this point I would say every penny of NIL money goes to Football first, men's BB second. Those two programs need to be the marquee/face of the athletic department.

Volleyball is nice, but I would sacrifice that entire program to make sure the football team and men's BB teams succeed.
This.

Every single dime should he invested in football to do anything else is dumb.

True, but there’s probably only 8-15ish that will change your program significantly. Michael Penix, Quinn Ewers, DJ Uiagalelei, Caleb Williams, Bo Nix, Jordan Travis, Jayden Daniels etc… But yeah, there’s a lot of QBs that will be a clear upgrade.
It’s not about an upgrade that’s obvious. It’s so they actually want to come here. Let’s see…..throwing to Bama WR or ours LOL. Now do OL….we act like Rhule has options like Simms. He’ll take whoever he can get and like it. It’s not a pick of the liter.

It’s not about an upgrade that’s obvious. It’s so they actually want to come here. Let’s see…..throwing to Bama WR or ours LOL. Now do OL….we act like Rhule has options like Simms. He’ll take whoever he can get and like it. It’s not a pick of the liter.

Never said it was, or anything like that. That’s why we have to pay the big bucks, maybe over spend a bit, but that doesn’t guarantee we’ll get a top guy. It does however give our best shot.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
And several others.
I pretty much agree with you 100 percent lol

Ha, can’t risk going after one.. gotta get 2.

Preferably a guy like Will Rogers and a younger guy with upside. Either way, two is a must
We need a starter, but I don't think we need 2. Purdy and HH are solid backup options. Let's go out and find the best option available that can take over the starting spot, but I think it's going to be impossible to keep more than 3 serviceable options happy at any one time with how easy it is to hit the portal.

We need a starter, but I don't think we need 2. Purdy and HH are solid backup options. Let's go out and find the best option available that can take over the starting spot, but I think it's going to be impossible to keep more than 3 serviceable options happy at any one time with how easy it is to hit the portal.
Purdy and HH are not solid backup options. KU has at least 4 QBs on their roster that are better than any that we've got. I wonder how much their NIL is?

Reactions: Truewooper
I expect him, Malik Murphy, Brock Vandagriff and many others to hit the portal. Thankfully TN has a bunch of QB so they won’t be in the market.
Kinda like fishing though, if you catch one bigger than what's in the live well, you just cull out a smaller one.

That's how we need to be looking at it, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT