ADVERTISEMENT

Think if I'm Daniel

4-3 D

Athletic Director
Jan 15, 2007
I'd stick with the Huskers for at least a year & then check it out. I know a bunch of Husker fans who are very excited to watch him develop. With him & Raiola in the QB room for a year, I doubt Rhule will feel a need to bring a portal QB in. I can see him using the portal for areas of weakness. Give it some time

no point in him wasting a transfer like that when he knows whats in front of him.

you only get one unless you're graduating or coming to/from FCS, i believe.

I want to take an opportunity to make the board aware that Danny is a really good human being. Not sure what he's thinking right now, but whatever happens, I want everyone to please consider that we are talking about a good kid here.

I'm sure the turn of events was a shock, but you have to adjust. Plus who know, maybe Raiola changes his mind again.

I want to take an opportunity to make the board aware that Danny is a really good human being. Not sure what he's thinking right now, but whatever happens, I want everyone to please consider that we are talking about a good kid here.
A ray of humanity! Don’t you know every QB but HH is a loser, a bad leader, a quitter, a bad teammate?
Your point is well taken-folks act like these guys are fully grown well paid adults and that any criticism, no matter how vile, is fair because they make money. In fact, they are in, or just a few years out, of high school.

Honestly, if this causes him to leave then He wasn’t really as pro Nebraska as he says he was… so good riddance
Not that I don’t want him, but if one guy coming in makes him bolt then oh well.
I don’t think it’s fair to criticize him without knowing exactly what the Nebraska coaches told him. It’s been reported that they told him that they would honor his scholarship, but maybe they told him something more that caused him to look around. I don’t think anyone on this board knows what they told him.

I also don't buy that he wouldn't sign at NU if all the Raiola talk fell through (however likely or unlikely that may be) leaving Nebraska QB-less. I'd prefer he come in and try to shock the experts by beating Raiola, but certainly can't fault him for keeping his options open and even going somewhere else if he thinks it'll get him a better shot at playing a ton.

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize him without knowing exactly what the Nebraska coaches told him. It’s been reported that they told him that they would honor his scholarship, but maybe they told him something more that caused him to look around. I don’t think anyone on this board knows what they told him.
You would think they didn’t say anything else besides they’d honor the scholarship because this staff has made great progress in the Omaha metro area, you sure wouldn’t want to set it back

I believe the staff said they would honor the scholarship but were not bending over backwards in their attempts to keep him from looking around

Difficult situation for both parties

You would think they didn’t say anything else besides they’d honor the scholarship because this staff has made great progress in the Omaha metro area, you sure wouldn’t want to set it back
Rhule has said that he likes to be honest with recruits. We don’t know what he told Kaelin.

I don’t know him personally but was excited about him jumping to the husker so quickly. This certainly has to suck for him so I understand him exercising his options. We need to be mindful too that he was Nebraska’s plan B (a solid Plan B obviously) and Nebraska was his plan A. So let’s meep that in mind if he decided to leave.

I don’t see anything wrong making the best fit for him. Wish him the best of luck either way he goes.

I don't understand why kids are scared to compete and prove themselves.
You think there will actually be a QB competition? I don’t. McCord (if he comes) will be anointed the starter next year. Raiola is going to be deemed the heir apparent. I’d bet dollars to donuts that has been the pitch. He wouldn’t get that pitch at Georgia. Kaelin has to know he’d down the line.

Reactions: nu2u
You think there will actually be a QB competition? I don’t. McCord (if he comes) will be anointed the starter next year. Raiola is going to be deemed the heir apparent. I’d bet dollars to donuts that has been the pitch. He wouldn’t get that pitch at Georgia. Kaelin has to know he’d down the line.
Well now McCord is reportedly out. Maybe Rhule did tell him (and otherr) there are no guaranteed spots. Good for him if he did.

Absolutely agree and I hope he sticks with us. Tough to hear but he needs to realize that there will be competition no matter where he ends up.

Last edited:
I feel bad for the kid. Unless he was explicitly told they would not take another highschooler, those are just the breaks. He probably figured he was in the clear when Raiola chose Georgia. But if you want to win at a high-level, you better get some dudes in here whenever you get the chance. They still want him, but he would have to compete no matter what. So if he does end up leaving, and Raiola stays, that’s good from a scholarship perspective.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'd stick with the Huskers for at least a year & then check it out. I know a bunch of Husker fans who are very excited to watch him develop. With him & Raiola in the QB room for a year, I doubt Rhule will feel a need to bring a portal QB in. I can see him using the portal for areas of weakness. Give it some time
So would I. You can't predict anything and competition makes you better. You could win the starting role and know you beat out a lot of good players to win it. If you don't win it, the transfer portal is an option.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Appreciate that - I'd be feeling a little "kicked to the side" if I were him. Especially if there was very little warning we were going to go after 2 transfers. (I know - McCord said no). We always talk about the kids being uncommitted to a program, but doesn't that go both ways?

Its tough to be that close to signing day and then realize that you've gone from being "the man" to being told that they would "honor" his scholarship. Its nice and all for the staff to say that, but kids, especially QBs, should to somewhere that really wants you in the biggest way. If the staff already believes 100% in you, your chances of playing time are that much greater.

Appreciate that - I'd be feeling a little "kicked to the side" if I were him. Especially if there was very little warning we were going to go after 2 transfers. (I know - McCord said no). We always talk about the kids being uncommitted to a program, but doesn't that go both ways?
Sadly, the word commitment doesn’t mean jack to most people anymore

Reactions: scarletred
Its tough to be that close to signing day and then realize that you've gone from being "the man" to being told that they would "honor" his scholarship. Its nice and all for the staff to say that, but kids, especially QBs, should to somewhere that really wants you in the biggest way. If the staff already believes 100% in you, your chances of playing time are that much greater.
Teams take two incoming freshman QBs all the time. IF he wants to be “the man” he should go to South Dakota. Guess what though. He wouldn’t start there right away either. He needs to pick where he wants to go to school then let the football take care of itself.

Sadly, the word commitment doesn’t mean jack to most people anymore
That goes both ways. Staffs commit to players just like players commit to staffs.

Things change on all sides

I don’t blame him for taking a look around and I hope our staff have been honest and up front with him. He should’ve been their first call when things with Dylan picked back up.

It’s nice to see them say they’d “honor” his spot. Hopefully they’re being uber transparent behind closed doors.

Reactions: timnsun
It's different if you're a QB. There's rarely any playing time for a back up QB unless the starter is injured. That's why two QB's in the same eligibility class often aren't able to co-exist. One of them is going to lose out and have to sit on the bench or transfer out. At other positions you can be in a rotation.

I am just thinking that the staff thought they would need 1 QB this class and would go with Dylan only if he committed. Over the course of the year I think they realized they didn’t have much and could indeed take two new QBs.
I just think that Kaelin ends up here. Chiles committed to MSU so I don’t see how he’d think he will play there either? Chiles has several years of eligibility.
If he really wanted to actually play he’d go to ULM or Ohio or Troy or Boise or NIU or someplace.
Since he can transfer in a couple years I think it would be smart to stay. Who knows, but I hope we keep him.

It's different if you're a QB. There's rarely any playing time for a back up QB unless the starter is injured. That's why two QB's in the same eligibility class often aren't able to co-exist. One of them is going to lose out and have to sit on the bench or transfer out. At other positions you can be in a rotation.
Or he can be patient, redshirt, get stronger, learn the offense, and be ready if Raiola leaves early for the NFL or gets injured. IF he stays he’ll likely get a chance to play fairly early. There’s really only one guy ahead of him by the time he’s ready to play. He’s going to get paid fair market value if he sticks with NU.

That goes both ways. Staffs commit to players just like players commit to staffs.

Things change on all sides

I don’t blame him for taking a look around and I hope our staff have been honest and up front with him. He should’ve been their first call when things with Dylan picked back up.

It’s nice to see them say they’d “honor” his spot. Hopefully they’re being uber transparent behind closed doors.
Agree with this. It’s the fans who have a problem when players decommit. Fans have no problem expecting coaches to pull offers from committed players if we get better players wanting to commit. But fans have a BIG problem if players decommit because they got a better offer.

Two way street. It sucks to see players decommit and go elsewhere, but we shouldn’t blame them. Now if they play us as fools, that’s a different story. But that’s not what’s going on here.

what little i know about the young man i think time here to get stronger, mature and coached up along with the skills he obviously already has might just turn out to be a very good choice. nil him up just like we had planned before circumstances changed.

Is there a world where NIL can’t screw up the recruiting window and signing classes? In my opinion NIL shouldn’t be able to wreck classes and relationships build between recruits and recruits and coaches. Make it available only for a certain window
This would be impossible to police as NIL stands now however
I appreciate Kaelin’s contract to this class, I hope he stays
NIL is wild

No QB this year ! Betcha !

Whomever the 2nd string, he is going to get playing time. Husker QB’s, and Big TenTen’s injuries prove this.

Prepare and be ready to excel in the role.

Reactions: redwine65

We only have 3 scholarship QB with one likely to red shirt and one who is probably better as a tight end. We need a solid portal QB to push & mentor Riola. I like the Maryland QB for one year to help break Riola in.

We only have 3 scholarship QB with one likely to red shirt and one who is probably better as a tight end. We need a solid portal QB to push & mentor Riola. I like the Maryland QB for one year to help break Riola in.
Maryland qb is out of eligibility. Needs a longshot waiver to play cfb next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT