ADVERTISEMENT

Portal WR's

oldjar07

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 25, 2009
With all of the attention on portal QB's, I think it is every bit as important, if not more so, that the wide receiver room be flipped as well. There's a lot of good ones in the portal. I think anybody on this top 20 list would be better than anybody we have had at the position this last year. https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/TransferPortalTop/?positionkey=14

My dream haul would be:
Fleming- Ohio State
Beaux Collins- Clemson
Maclin- North Texas

I place a lot of value on guys who have seen playing time at big time schools. Getting two or three high quality receivers from the transfer portal would transform this offense overnight. And hopefully never again will we see the embarrassing display as we have seen from the offense this season.

1. Nebraska’s WRs were terrible this/last year.

2. Maybe I’m the only dude excited about their futures and not worried about new dudes at this position. They will make a HUGE jump IMO…but Coleman needs to be tough enough to make it to and thru spring practice.

2. Maybe I’m the only dude excited about their futures and not worried about new dudes at this position. They will make a HUGE jump IMO…but Coleman needs to be tough enough to make it to and thru spring practice.
A big problem this season was injuries which forced younger players to assume big roles.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
With all of the attention on portal QB's, I think it is every bit as important, if not more so, that the wide receiver room be flipped as well. There's a lot of good ones in the portal. I think anybody on this top 20 list would be better than anybody we have had at the position this last year. https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Football/TransferPortalTop/?positionkey=14

My dream haul would be:
Fleming- Ohio State
Beaux Collins- Clemson
Maclin- North Texas

I place a lot of value on guys who have seen playing time at big time schools. Getting two or three high quality receivers from the transfer portal would transform this offense overnight. And hopefully never again will we see the embarrassing display as we have seen from the offense this season.
2 qb's, we will not get thru a season with injury. need someone capable to take over and win a tough game
2-3 wr's. with our qb play who really knows what we have
2 ot's tired of watching the mexican bull fighters routine
2 dt's just add quality depth

2 qb's, we will not get thru a season with injury. need someone capable to take over and win a tough game
2-3 wr's. with our qb play who really knows what we have
2 ot's tired of watching the mexican bull fighters routine
2 dt's just add quality depth
I keep hearing how our offensive line improved but I think that coincided with our qb's going on a dead sprint sideways as soon as the ball was snapped. Not the kind of thing that produces great plays.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
What Coleman and Lloyd were actually asked to do in high school was a complete joke…and I get it…you gotta keep those kids out and they think running a slant or blocking someone is so beneath them.

I give McGuire a ton of credit for getting those guys to do literally anything, and they surpassed that by a TON.

They are gonna be dudes.

I keep hearing how our offensive line improved but I think that coincided with our qb's going on a dead sprint sideways as soon as the ball was snapped. Not the kind of thing that produces great plays.
A killer OL? No, of course not. But an improved OL. For sure. Far fewer mistakes/penalties and the team ranked high in the conference for rushing offense. If we see more improvement next year, it could be very good.

What makes you say that about Coleman? Is he injury prone, do you think he’ll quit? What is it

What Coleman and Lloyd were actually asked to do in high school was a complete joke…and I get it…you gotta keep those kids out and they think running a slant or blocking someone is so beneath them.

I give McGuire a ton of credit for getting those guys to do literally anything, and they surpassed that by a TON.

They are gonna be dudes.

You mean the coach saying "These are my rules and if you don't follow them, you will sit the bench or be off the team" is total BS when it comes to certain players?!?! Ha

Some posters would be shocked to find out what good (HS) players get away with.

I agree. I'm about as worried wide receivers as I am Dline. Not at all. There will be a bunch of freshman and sophomores at wr next year.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

They are gonna be dudes.
Lloyd is going to be a good one

A killer OL? No, of course not. But an improved OL. For sure. Far fewer mistakes/penalties and the team ranked high in the conference for rushing offense. If we see more improvement next year, it could be very good.
We finished an 'improved' 120th in the nation at a mega 18ppg.
Last year we were 101st at 21.3 ppg.
Those are both atrocious. I can't shoehorn improved anywhere in that mess.

Reactions: oldjar07

Yes, but I still think we need to take 1-2 WRs from the portal.

Reactions: oldjar07
Cannot wait until we shitcan that loser Satterfield
He will get a chance in 2024, then after another 5-7 losses, hopefully he will be gone.

We should have a new QB, more experienced line, and a WR corps of IGC, Malachi, Lloyd, Doss, Bell(hopefully he will be eligible), and the new guys Hall, McMorris, Barney, Clark, Keelan
If we can also add one good WR1 then it’s on Satt to produce.

Obviously there were offensive problems, no question about it. Not defending the offense BUT the offense also is more than the OL. Turnovers were terrible needless to say but those weren't on the OL. QB was the number one problem IMO followed by injuries at RB and WR.

I heard Sean Callahan say we only have room for about 4 portal transfers since we are so over the limit right now.
I'd look at cutting out a few of our HS recruits first if I'm being honest. We need to be more picky with HS recruiting with how much talent is in the portal.

Rhule gets paid a ton of money to manage his roster. And if he’s corners himself, satisfied with a huge group of young, unproven, not super highly-ranked prospects to develop, at the expense of leveraging proven portal opportunities, then it’s on him to deliver the results with the road he’s paved.

No more excuses. period.

Obviously there were offensive problems, no question about it. Not defending the offense BUT the offense also is more than the OL. Turnovers were terrible needless to say but those weren't on the OL. QB was the number one problem IMO followed by injuries at RB and WR.

Offense is almost entirely complementary amongst all the various units to be effective. OL/TE need to block, RBs need to find the holes when they are there, WRs/TEs need to run good routes to give the QB a target, and the QB needs to make an accurate throw. If any of these units don't do their job on each play, the offense does not move the ball or there is a turnover. Too often this year, all/most of the offensive units did not do that very often on each play. On the defensive side, 1 guy can "just make a play" when the various units don't do their job. It was rare this year when just 1 offensive guy "makes a play" (a few long QB runs or a few long passes). The defense did their job more often this year, which kept us in games despite the lack of cohesion from the offense. Unfortunately, on a few occasions we had defensive guys who didn't make plays in crunch time. That was a factor in several losses this year.

Offense is almost entirely complementary amongst all the various units to be effective. OL/TE need to block, RBs need to find the holes when they are there, WRs/TEs need to run good routes to give the QB a target, and the QB needs to make an accurate throw. If any of these units don't do their job on each play, the offense does not move the ball or there is a turnover. Too often this year, all/most of the offensive units did not do that very often on each play. On the defensive side, 1 guy can "just make a play" when the various units don't do their job. It was rare this year when just 1 offensive guy "makes a play" (a few long QB runs or a few long passes). The defense did their job more often this year, which kept us in games despite the lack of cohesion from the offense. Unfortunately, on a few occasions we had defensive guys who didn't make plays in crunch time. That was a factor in several losses this year.
OK, but statistically our offense regressed. That's the fact. We certainly upgraded at center. The rest? Maybe a year wiser and I saw some individual aggression but as a unit, working in unison, I just didn't see it. The reason some of the other factors didn't come together was because they had no time to scan the field or run proper routes. I am not a champion of either year.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
OK, but statistically our offense regressed. That's the fact. We certainly upgraded at center. The rest? Maybe a year wiser and I saw some individual aggression but as a unit, working in unison, I just didn't see it. The reason some of the other factors didn't come together was because they had no time to scan the field or run proper routes. I am not a champion of either year.

Totally agree, which is what I was trying to convey.

Reactions: pascal
Yup they are only going to take 3-4 guys at most.
That will be it until spring time, have to see how many leave after spring practice. What a difference compared to the previous years of portal life for us. I think it’s a sign of stability, something that’s been absent for the program for a long time .

2 QB, WR, ILB?
I'm not taking 2 qbs just to take 2. DK is an early enrollee. So there would be 2 different qbs on the roster for spring just by adding 1 portal qb.

I would take a FCS WR like Toure or a proven G5/P5. I'm not taking a Bama junior 3rd string who has barely played just to take a WR.

ILB - yes

OT - Yes

RB - The right one

Cb- the right one

Question: Do Juco's still exist? You just never hear much about them at all. Jucos were all they were cracked up to be. You could analyze their physical skills much better than a high schooler but, hate to say it, they had a hard time keeping up with the playbook.

I'm not taking 2 qbs just to take 2. DK is an early enrollee. So there would be 2 different qbs on the roster for spring just by adding 1 portal qb.

I would take a FCS WR like Toure or a proven G5/P5. I'm not taking a Bama junior 3rd string who has barely played just to take a WR.

ILB - yes

OT - Yes

RB - The right one

Cb- the right one
Haven't heard much about the FCS crowd. That has to be fertile ground. Guys who developed late and need some exposure. Worked out great for Nebraska and Toure.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Question: Do Juco's still exist? You just never hear much about them at all. Jucos were all they were cracked up to be. You could analyze their physical skills much better than a high schooler but, hate to say it, they had a hard time keeping up with the playbook.
Aren't we recruiting a highly rated JUCO receiver?

Reactions: BleedRed78
With the portal there are better options for many. I believe Juco is Neb best bet. KSU under Snyder were good with Juco kids. It is what prop48 was. Prop48 helped make Neb what it was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT