ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Purdue at Nebraska unofficial game thread

IMO this is the most important game for Frost to this point. Yes there have been bigger games and at that time important games in their own respect. To me this is a must win game. We are year 3, Frost went out and hired a proven WR/ OC. We should have the most depth we have had in awhile at most positions. Frost and Co need to come out strong right from the start and get that first W. Not only to build confidence for the team but to show the rest of the BIG that the weak Nebraska of the last 4 or 5 years is dead and not coming back. A win here could tip the scales and getting things rolling. A loss could start that negative mentality creeping in again for the team. If it takes hold, we could be in for another tough year.

Especially in a year when we have only four B1G home games vs. five on the road. Winning starts with protecting your home turf. Definitely gotta win against Purdue and Illinois.

Reactions: husker2612
What if I told you Purdue actually has the pieces to run a 3-4 better than a 4-3? Dline should be really good next year. I think it's going to be a really fun game. Purdues offense should be really really good next year.
Funny thing, we had a good setup for a 3-4 when disco was here on our line. It's the LBs that suffer the most, where D line can be ok.
Key is having the right NT.

Reactions: huskerssalts
What if I told you Purdue actually has the pieces to run a 3-4 better than a 4-3? Dline should be really good next year. I think it's going to be a really fun game. Purdues offense should be really really good next year.

Won’t matter, no matter what it’s still game 1. There isn’t a team out there that has switched to a brand new system (like 3-4 from the 4-3) that comes out gates firing on all cylinders during the first game of the year. It’s bad luck for Purdue that you guys catch us right out of the gates. Maybe a few games down the road would make a difference, but not game 1 of the season.

Hell, go back and watch the first year Diaco was the Huskers DC and there you go. The season before the Huskers had a Top 25-30 defense in the country and switching to the 3-4 from 4-3 hurt us bad and we had one of the country’s worst defense that season. That right there is the most logical thing that will happen with Purdue’s defense this next season. Same DC and same change of systems....will more then likely lead to similar results. Your guys defensive players will be thinking more then just playing the game early on. That will give most offenses the upper hand till your players catch hold of Diacos system and plays. And the Husker will be very experienced on offense and have some dangerous weapons.

Last edited:
Won’t matter, no matter what it’s still game 1. Wouldn’t make a difference, there isn’t a team out there that has switched to a brand new system (like 3-4 from the 4-3) that comes out gates firing on all cylinders during the first game of the year. It’s bad luck for Purdue that you guys catch us right out of the gates. Maybe a few games down the road would make a difference, but not game 1 of the season.
That's also assuming that he goes to straight 3-4. I'd guess he will run multiple fronts. Holt's best defense was when he ran a 3-4 base in 2017. Then for some reason, he switched to a 4-3. Good news is the D will only need to get like 3 or 4 stops a game because that offense should be one of the best in the country. I'm not sure how teams will stop the pass attack. Obviously some will, but Purdue should win 7 minimum.

That's also assuming that he goes to straight 3-4. I'd guess he will run multiple fronts. Holt's best defense was when he ran a 3-4 base in 2017. Then for some reason, he switched to a 4-3. Good news is the D will only need to get like 3 or 4 stops a game because that offense should be one of the best in the country. I'm not sure how teams will stop the pass attack. Obviously some will, but Purdue should win 7 minimum.
I know you are a Purdue fan but best offense in the country? Come on.

As for Diaco, he plays a two gap front, total opposite of what you have done. It’s hard to ask guys to go back and forth. Also switching fronts, isn't really his MO and either is running much nickel or dime. Diaco wants to stay in base, which is great if you have superhuman LB’s.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I know you are a Purdue fan but best offense in the country? Come on.

As for Diaco, he plays a two gap front, total opposite of what you have done. It’s hard to ask guys to go back and forth. Also switching fronts, isn't really his MO and either is running much nickel or dime. Diaco wants to stay in base, which is great if you have superhuman LB’s.
If you've read other things he's posted on here, you would know that he's a real nut job.

Nebraska LB athleticism much improved and shutting down the short crossers/curls with tight man coverage. Rondale having trouble getting open before the rush gets home.

yet it shows Purdue as a 4-3 ran defense...weird. Or maybe this is your way to feel better about the transition your teams defense will be in. No matter how you want to twist it or look at it, Purdue’s defense will struggle early and often while learning Diacos system and plays. It happens to ever team that does it. Purdue won’t be that lone magical team that just ads new DC and then doesn’t miss beat, lol.

Best offense in the country? What a homer. I love my Huskers and I wouldn’t even go that far. You don’t go 4-8 with the best offense....lol. Purdue has a solid passing game but even Purdue’s passing game is far from the best. You guys have a couple weapons just like we do. Plus side for the Huskers is we gained a legit run game too. Purdue won’t win this game, not when it’s being played in game 1.

Last edited:
If we just struggle with Purdue and don't beat them by double digits, then I don't see us making a bowl game. But fortunately I see Purdue getting clapped by our new and improved offense and defense that should be a step better than the year before.

yet it shows Purdue as a 4-3 ran defense...weird. Or maybe this is your way to feel better about the transition your teams defense will be in. No matter how you want to twist it or look at it, Purdue’s defense will struggle early and often while learning Diacos system and plays. It happens to ever team that does it. Purdue won’t be that lone magical team that just ads new DC and then doesn’t miss beat, lol.

Best offense in the country? What a homer. I love my Huskers and I wouldn’t even go that far. You don’t go 4-8 with the best offense....lol. Purdue has a solid passing game but even Purdue’s passing game is far from the best. You guys have a couple weapons just like we do. Plus side for the Huskers is we gained a legit run game too. Purdue won’t win this game, not when it’s being played in game 1.
I never said there won't be a transition period on defense, but I don't think it will be awful game one either. Purdue ran a 3-4 base Holt's first year and that defense was really good switching from a 4-3. Holt switched back to a 4-3 because all the LB'ers graduated. Hazell left no recruits so the last two years have been brutal because of it. Nebraska shouldn't do what they want at will.

I also never said the best in the country. I said one of the best. Purdue should have a top 20 offense next year. It loses its RG and TE. Returns everyone else and gets a top 5 WR in college football back to compliment David Bell who was the big ten freshman of the year. Plus like 5 other 4 star receivers. It's hard to look at Purdues offense last year and make judgements about this year. Everyone was hurt on offense and vs Nebraska, it started 9 underclassman. The offense vs Nebraska last year had 4 string QB, 3rd string RB, WR2, 4, 5, 6 and an oline with three first year starters who probably needed another year. Purdue isn't going to be a sub .500 team much longer if at all. They have the pieces to start pushing for the west in the next couple of years and get back to the early tiller days.

Last edited:
I never said there won't be a transition period on defense, but I don't think it will be awful game one either. Purdue ran a 3-4 base Holt's first year and that defense was really good switching from a 4-3. Holt switched back to a 4-3 because all the LB'ers graduated. Hazell left no recruits so the last two years have been brutal because of it. Nebraska shouldn't do what they want at will.

I also never said the best in the country. I said one of the best. Purdue should have a top 20 offense next year. It loses its RG and TE. Returns everyone else and gets a top 5 WR in college football back to compliment David Bell who was the big ten freshman of the year. Plus like 5 other 4 star receivers. It's hard to look at Purdues offense last year and make judgements about this year. Everyone was hurt on offense and vs Nebraska, it started 9 underclassman. The offense vs Nebraska last year had 4 string QB, 3rd string RB, WR2, 4, 5, 6 and an oline with three first year starters who probably needed another year. Purdue isn't going to be a sub .500 team much longer if at all. They have the pieces to start pushing for the west in the next couple of years and get back to the early tiller days.

You do realize your D is now coached by Disco Bob right? You are going to feel strain all season long, and will probably be among the worst as far as giving yards up. Good Luck.

Reactions: huskerssalts
When you said this:

I immediately looked up at your name to realize you were a biased delusional Purdue fan and stopped reading. lol
Ok. Cool. What does Purdue not have to have a top 20 offense?

You do realize your D is now coached by Disco Bob right? You are going to feel strain all season long, and will probably be among the worst as far as giving yards up. Good Luck.
Ya. A guy who has been pretty good everywhere but Nebraska. Last year, his D was top 40 I believe. In his first year.

Will Nebraska pick up where they left off last year? Or will they go back to square one, like they did between 18-19?

If Nebraska can actually build on the progress they made toward the end of the season, then maybe they will have a distinct advantage over a team transitioning to a new defensive scheme.

OTOH, Nebraska has to play defense, too.

Ya. A guy who has been pretty good everywhere but Nebraska. Last year, his D was top 40 I believe. In his first year.

He was awful at NU, worse at UConn, and had 1 really good year at Notre Dame which had really good athletes on D. Purdue doesn't and won't have near those athletes. Your D is going to be bad under him and you'll probably want him gone by game 6. You're Black and Gold glasses have made you blind.

He was awful at NU, worse at UConn, and had 1 really good year at Notre Dame which had really good athletes on D. Purdue doesn't and won't have near those athletes. Your D is going to be bad under him and you'll probably want him gone by game 6. You're Black and Gold glasses have made you blind.
He consistently had good defenses at Notre Dame, had UConn as the #18 defense one year (the offenses were the issue and a Brohm led offense won't be an issue), was bad at Nebraska (but let's be real, he had no chance at Nebraska as Riley should have been fired before he even showed up), was Oklahoma's LB coach, then was pretty good at La Tech last year. All he needs to do is have a top 50 defense, which he's had every year but two I think. I guess we will see, but his situation at Purdue is better than the situation he went to at Nebraska. I'll dismiss his head coaching time because some guys aren't meant to be head coaches. Exciting times are coming for Purdue. They aren't a doormat.

I fully expect a really good game between Purdue and nebraska and it will probably come down to who can slow the other teams WR's. Purdue is loaded at WR and Nebraska has a couple really good guys and a nice class coming in.

Reactions: 9and4
He consistently had good defenses at Notre Dame, had UConn as the #18 defense one year (the offenses were the issue and a Brohm led offense won't be an issue), was bad at Nebraska (but let's be real, he had no chance at Nebraska as Riley should have been fired before he even showed up), was Oklahoma's LB coach, then was pretty good at La Tech last year. All he needs to do is have a top 50 defense, which he's had every year but two I think. I guess we will see, but his situation at Purdue is better than the situation he went to at Nebraska. I'll dismiss his head coaching time because some guys aren't meant to be head coaches. Exciting times are coming for Purdue. They aren't a doormat.

I fully expect a really good game between Purdue and nebraska and it will probably come down to who can slow the other teams WR's. Purdue is loaded at WR and Nebraska has a couple really good guys and a nice class coming in.

You are a huge Purdue homer though as well. They may not be a doormat anymore, but I don't see them competing for the West anytime soon. You have a few nice players, but your depth is not great. Your recruiting is getting better, but as much as I like Brohm, he hasn't been anything special yet. I could be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it that Purdue ever becomes a contender.

You are a huge Purdue homer though as well. They may not be a doormat anymore, but I don't see them competing for the West anytime soon. You have a few nice players, but your depth is not great. Your recruiting is getting better, but as much as I like Brohm, he hasn't been anything special yet. I could be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it that Purdue ever becomes a contender.
In my opinion, we are basically in the same place as Nebraska when it comes to competing for the west. Both programs are going through major rebuilding years where coaches basically had to clean the team and start over, which makes depth bad because your depth is true freshman because your starters are freshman and sophmores. Both are investing heavily in the program in terms of facilities. (Purdue recently finished a 65mil training facility, renovated the Drew Brees academic building, invested over 30mil in stadium, and gearing up to put another 120mil into stadium). Both are recruiting really well and both have good coaches who haven't really proven much in the big ten, but I think both are really good.

Just for reference, Hazell recruiting classes went something like 56, 64, 72, 69. Brohm has gone like 56, 38, 25, and looking at another 25ish class. 2021 could be even better. Purdue was the youngest team in the big ten last year and the only big ten team to have a starting offense and starting defense average less than 3 years in the program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nebraska is really young as well? I may be a homer, but I can back up and justify everything I've said.

Brohm has done a good job at Purdue.

he took over a program that had won 3 conference games combined in the prior 3 years - has gone to a bowl 2 out of his 3 years and finished in the top half of the division 2 of his 3 years.

His D was ok, not good. Miamis offense was like iowas in production, without the power, so shutting them down is doable.
You'll need LBs and a good NT, and the better the LBs, the better the team will be, but, if you dont have those LBs and NT, it'll be a long year.

Reactions: leodisflowers
In my opinion, we are basically in the same place as Nebraska when it comes to competing for the west. Both programs are going through major rebuilding years where coaches basically had to clean the team and start over, which makes depth bad because your depth is true freshman because your starters are freshman and sophmores. Both are investing heavily in the program in terms of facilities. (Purdue recently finished a 65mil training facility, renovated the Drew Brees academic building, invested over 30mil in stadium, and gearing up to put another 120mil into stadium). Both are recruiting really well and both have good coaches who haven't really proven much in the big ten, but I think both are really good.

Just for reference, Hazell recruiting classes went something like 56, 64, 72, 69. Brohm has gone like 56, 38, 25, and looking at another 25ish class. 2021 could be even better. Purdue was the youngest team in the big ten last year and the only big ten team to have a starting offense and starting defense average less than 3 years in the program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nebraska is really young as well? I may be a homer, but I can back up and justify everything I've said.
Thing is, purdue is ahead of Nebraska in that it started younger guys early, where we redshirted guys. A lot of guys. A lot of four star guys. They all play this year, so it'll be a very different team this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nebraska is really young as well? I may be a homer, but I can back up and justify everything I've said.
True. We started 10 underclassmen on offense, and the only senior starter was pretty much a non-contributer and missed the final few games because of injury. The defensive line started three seniors, two of whom will likely be drafted, though not in first few rounds. The rest of the defense appears to have the most talent bearing the "freshman" or "sophomore" tag, so that's still a unit looking for an identity.

Nebraska's biggest problem has been a lack of all-conference and all-American players over the past several years. Robinson, Martinez, McCaffrey, Manning and Jaimes have that potential for the coming year on offense. We're still trying to figure out who those players might be on defense because of the aforementioned youth.

Special teams ... don't get us started, but it will good to have a dedicated staff member and the ability to use scholarship players on coverage units for a change.

Reactions: headcard
His D was ok, not good. Miamis offense was like iowas in production, without the power, so shutting them down is doable.
You'll need LBs and a good NT, and the better the LBs, the better the team will be, but, if you dont have those LBs and NT, it'll be a long year.
Ya. That's what will be interesting. Purdue gets Lorenzo Neal back this year. Fringe 1st round DT that's 6'3 320. He will play the nose spot. George Karlaftis at DE will play at 6'4 275 probably. Then watts will play the other end at 6'4 290. Barnes, last year's DE and converted LB will play that DE/LB spot at 6' 240 I'd guess. The ILB will be a bit of a question mark in pass coverage, but run coverage will be solid from them. The 4th LB I'd guess will be a converted Saftey that started as a true freshman last year. 6'3 225 i think. Then corners will be not underclassman. A true freshman Saftey was basically starting by year end last year and will have a 4 star Saftey coming off redshirt after being hurt last year. Purdue started 2 freshman on the Dline last year. Just can't do that in the big ten.

True. We started 10 underclassmen on offense, and the only senior starter was pretty much a non-contributer and missed the final few games because of injury. The defensive line started three seniors, two of whom will likely be drafted, though not in first few rounds. The rest of the defense appears to have the most talent bearing the "freshman" or "sophomore" tag, so that's still a unit looking for an identity.

Nebraska's biggest problem has been a lack of all-conference and all-American players over the past several years. Robinson, Martinez, McCaffrey, Manning and Jaimes have that potential for the coming year on offense. We're still trying to figure out who those players might be on defense because of the aforementioned youth.

Special teams ... don't get us started, but it will good to have a dedicated staff member and the ability to use scholarship players on coverage units for a change.
Purdue just hired the ST coach from North Texas and I'm pretty stoked about it!

Ya. That's what will be interesting. Purdue gets Lorenzo Neal back this year. Fringe 1st round DT that's 6'3 320. He will play the nose spot. George Karlaftis at DE will play at 6'4 275 probably. Then watts will play the other end at 6'4 290. Barnes, last year's DE and converted LB will play that DE/LB spot at 6' 240 I'd guess. The ILB will be a bit of a question mark in pass coverage, but run coverage will be solid from them. The 4th LB I'd guess will be a converted Saftey that started as a true freshman last year. 6'3 225 i think. Then corners will be not underclassman. A true freshman Saftey was basically starting by year end last year and will have a 4 star Saftey coming off redshirt after being hurt last year. Purdue started 2 freshman on the Dline last year. Just can't do that in the big ten.
I have wondered if Neal regrets his decision to come back to Purdue now. He wasn’t looking at being converted to a NT when he made the announcement he was coming back.

Love Karlaftis, but he's really light for a 3-4, great for DE in a 4-3, but you really need tackles ,all tackles in the 3-4. Especially the way diaco plays it,which isnt about being quick or fast, but power only.

I hope it doesn't ruin Karlaftis' career,as he may get passed up by someone with a better body type for that line. That's the cost of switching to a 3-4 though

Purdue has a lot coming back. I think nine on offense and eight on defense. That includes bringing back two of the best receivers in the country. They've beaten us the last two years, and let's be honest, Brohm has out-coached Frost in both of those games.

That said, the game is in Lincoln and the first game/big game atmosphere will play a factor. Also, I think Nebraska will have more talent at most positions, sans receiver. Maybe most important of all, Purdue will playing their first game using the "STRAIN" defense, which is a major benefit for Nebraska.

Both teams will score points, but what the game will come down to is how Nebraska defends Rondale Moore and Amad Anderson when they're lined up in the slot. Offensively, Purdue will use the same game plan that Indiana did last year. Nebraska couldn't stop Indiana's slot receiver the entire game, and Purdue has two receivers that are better than anyone Indiana had.

If Nebraska can slow the Purdue receivers down, they should be able to outscore Purdue in a fairly high scoring game. If Nebraska can't find anyone to slow down Purdue's receivers, it'll be a 50/50 game.

Love Karlaftis, but he's really light for a 3-4, great for DE in a 4-3, but you really need tackles ,all tackles in the 3-4. Especially the way diaco plays it,which isnt about being quick or fast, but power only.

I hope it doesn't ruin Karlaftis' career,as he may get passed up by someone with a better body type for that line. That's the cost of switching to a 3-4 though
I think Karlaftis can play at 275 though. Idk. Will be interesting. I almost feel like you have to design a D around him. If think Diaco's scheme would help with landing Yanni though.

Purdue has a lot coming back. I think nine on offense and eight on defense. That includes bringing back two of the best receivers in the country. They've beaten us the last two years, and let's be honest, Brohm has out-coached Frost in both of those games.

That said, the game is in Lincoln and the first game/big game atmosphere will play a factor. Also, I think Nebraska will have more talent at most positions, sans receiver. Maybe most important of all, Purdue will playing their first game using the "STRAIN" defense, which is a major benefit for Nebraska.

Both teams will score points, but what the game will come down to is how Nebraska defends Rondale Moore and Amad Anderson when they're lined up in the slot. Offensively, Purdue will use the same game plan that Indiana did last year. Nebraska couldn't stop Indiana's slot receiver the entire game, and Purdue has two receivers that are better than anyone Indiana had.

If Nebraska can slow the Purdue receivers down, they should be able to outscore Purdue in a fairly high scoring game. If Nebraska can't find anyone to slow down Purdue's receivers, it'll be a 50/50 game.
With lack of players comes lack of packages, as our safeties were injured,our LBs were too slow, it made for easy pickings.
Watch for dime packages with healthy safeties, young but much faster LBs. Things we barely got off the ground last year because of personnel or lack of it.

I think Karlaftis can play at 275 though. Idk. Will be interesting. I almost feel like you have to design a D around him. If think Diaco's scheme would help with landing Yanni though.
Often,it's double teams, and 275 just seems light. If he puts on twenty pounds and keeps his quicks, he should be ok.

If Nebraska can slow the Purdue receivers down, they should be able to outscore Purdue in a fairly high scoring game
The top line of every pre-game analysis for this game 8 months from now.

Purdue pass attempts O/U = 50. Success here = likely win. That's the whole ball game in a nutshell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT