ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Purdue at Nebraska unofficial game thread

Ya. We will see. Didn't Ryan Kerrigan play DE for Washington in a 3-4 and lighter weight? Maybe I'm mistaken.
Everyone is (or should be) familiar with Moore and Bell. Breakdown Purdue's ground game.

Ya. We will see. Didn't Ryan Kerrigan play DE for Washington in a 3-4 and lighter weight? Maybe I'm mistaken.
As a LB,yes. They could move him out there if he can't handle the weight increase, but there again, getting used to it, the cost of switching is real

As a LB,yes. They could move him out there if he can't handle the weight increase, but there again, getting used to it, the cost of switching is real
I think he has the frame to hold it. Dude is a workhorse. Apparently they were having to keep him from going crazy in the weight room last year because they didn't want him hurting himself doing to much in the off-season.

I think he has the frame to hold it. Dude is a workhorse. Apparently they were having to keep him from going crazy in the weight room last year because they didn't want him hurting himself doing to much in the off-season.
They should have guys who know his max weight/frame,and the SnC can get him there,if possible.

Everyone is (or should be) familiar with Moore and Bell. Breakdown Purdue's ground game.
Ask me in 6 months. Lol it will depend on the OL. I like purdues RB's. Last year they started a true freshman and a redshirt sophmore walk-on. Another true freshman redshirted. They have a 4 star RB coming in that LSU was trying to flip before signing day.

Last year the oline played a lot of young bodies. At the start of the year, it was bad. QB was hit and RB's had no room. By the last four games, QB wasn't getting sacked and RB's were averaging 3.5+ ypc. Except Wisconsin, only 2.7 vs them. The oline started a freshman and 2 sophmores last year. One of the sophmores was benched for a true freshman vs iu. Purdue also had a walk-on center for half the year because theirs was hurt. They have a 4 star center coming in. Well, he's getting his 4th star after being really good at army All-american game.

Ask me in 6 months. Lol it will depend on the OL. I like purdues RB's. Last year they started a true freshman and a redshirt sophmore walk-on. Another true freshman redshirted. They have a 4 star RB coming in that LSU was trying to flip before signing day.

Last year the oline played a lot of young bodies. At the start of the year, it was bad. QB was hit and RB's had no room. By the last four games, QB wasn't getting sacked and RB's were averaging 3.5+ ypc. Except Wisconsin, only 2.7 vs them. The oline started a freshman and 2 sophmores last year. One of the sophmores was benched for a true freshman vs iu. Purdue also had a walk-on center for half the year because theirs was hurt. They have a 4 star center coming in. Well, he's getting his 4th star after being really good at army All-american game.
Good stuff on Purdue.
Their line is older than ours will likely turn out to be, so, a lot of growth this year. Not that our older guys didn't also finish well last year, but there's younger guys that'll likely be better, plus the year of experience for at least one of the new guys.
We could have a soph at center, a senior at LT, then it becomes a crap shoot,with potentially two more rs frosh starting, one at guard and one at RT, with our senior RT sliding down to guard. And, be alot better,even though all five from last year returns.

Reactions: HuskerPam
Good stuff on Purdue.
Their line is older than ours will likely turn out to be, so, a lot of growth this year. Not that our older guys didn't also finish well last year, but there's younger guys that'll likely be better, plus the year of experience for at least one of the new guys.
We could have a soph at center, a senior at LT, then it becomes a crap shoot,with potentially two more rs frosh starting, one at guard and one at RT, with our senior RT sliding down to guard. And, be alot better,even though all five from last year returns.
I fully anticipate this being a really good game. You can tell me if you see it otherwise, but it's a pair of programs with good coaches and what should be really good offenses with a questionable defense. I think this game will be a lot of fun to watch and honestly, it could come down to the last possession. Who has the ball last.

I fully anticipate this being a really good game. You can tell me if you see it otherwise, but it's a pair of programs with good coaches and what should be really good offenses with a questionable defense. I think this game will be a lot of fun to watch and honestly, it could come down to the last possession. Who has the ball last.
Don't forget special teams mistakes. We're good at making a lot of those. We may be down to our fourth or fifth kicker by the first game, too, so there's that going for you.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Don't forget special teams mistakes. We're good at making a lot of those. We may be down to our fourth or fifth kicker by the first game, too, so there's that going for you.
Purdues special teams was boring last year. They are bringing in the guy from North Texas to be ST coach and he seems like he is really good. Hopefully he can figure out how to use Purdues speed guys I'm the return game. Purdue has a guy named Marcellus Moore coming in. Idk how well he bounces around, but he ran something like a 10.3 100 meter dash as a junior in high school. Excited to see him return.

who wins?

Purdue was the game last year that was a win converted into a loss. Any blitz at all on their 3rd string walk on QB at the end of the game and that's a W. Our MVP that game was Purdue. They did every think they could to give us the game.

If there is ever a case of revenge for a disaster the previous year, this is it.

Purdue was the game last year that was a win converted into a loss. Any blitz at all on their 3rd string walk on QB at the end of the game and that's a W. Our MVP that game was Purdue. They did every think they could to give us the game.

If there is ever a case of revenge for a disaster the previous year, this is it.
*4th string. 3rd string QB retired mid-season with injuries.

This being the game thread. What was the final score of the subject Purdue game? I must have missed the game.

You do realize your D is now coached by Disco Bob right? You are going to feel strain all season long, and will probably be among the worst as far as giving yards up. Good Luck.

These Purdue fans are in for a very rude awakening. There won’t be some magic switches flipped were they come out playing great defense. They will struggle to stop rhe Huskers at all in game one. Diacos defenses are always one of the worst in the country for yards allowed. At La Tech he did manage a solid scoring defense but he defense still ranked 90th-100th in yards allowed.

no doubt, I don’t see Purdue winning this game. Their defense is going to struggle a lot against a very experienced offense that has just as dangerous of offensive weapons as they have. Plus the Huskers have a legit running game that should help control the pace of the game. Something Purdue doesn’t have...GBR

These Purdue fans are in for a very rude awakening. There won’t be some magic switches flipped were they come out playing great defense. They will struggle to stop rhe Huskers at all in game one. Diacos defenses are always one of the worst in the country for yards allowed. At La Tech he did manage a solid scoring defense but he defense still ranked 90th-100th in yards allowed.

That guy seems to go on every site and try to pump up how good Purdue is. He has a few good points, but to act like Purdue is some vaunted team we need to look out for in the future is funny. We are in a large downturn that hopefully we can get out of, and Purdue is up from where they have been with that said they struggle to beat our worst teams. I feel like if Scott can finally put it together, it is easily a 14-21 point win, but that is yet to be seen. We keep waiting and it doesn't happen.

I also agree about Diaco. They keep trying to pump him up like he is some master defensive mind. Take out his one year at Nebraska, his D still gave up a ton of yards, and was really lucky that he was working with elitel athletes. Purdue doesn't have elite athletes across the board and they are going to have more growing pains then they think. There is no way they will be Top 50 in D like they are wanting with Disco. I get he had an ok year at La. Tech, but I'll need to see him prove it in a major conference and not the Sun Belt or whatever conference that is.

Reactions: huskerssalts
That guy seems to go on every site and try to pump up how good Purdue is. He has a few good points, but to act like Purdue is some vaunted team we need to look out for in the future is funny. We are in a large downturn that hopefully we can get out of, and Purdue is up from where they have been with that said they struggle to beat our worst teams. I feel like if Scott can finally put it together, it is easily a 14-21 point win, but that is yet to be seen. We keep waiting and it doesn't happen.

I also agree about Diaco. They keep trying to pump him up like he is some master defensive mind. Take out his one year at Nebraska, his D still gave up a ton of yards, and was really lucky that he was working with elitel athletes. Purdue doesn't have elite athletes across the board and they are going to have more growing pains then they think. There is no way they will be Top 50 in D like they are wanting with Disco. I get he had an ok year at La. Tech, but I'll need to see him prove it in a major conference and not the Sun Belt or whatever conference that is.
I'm not pumping Purdue up to be more than they are... They are a 7-8 win program that is on the up and up and is also in a downturn. Unless you are going back like 5 years, then yes, they are up. As little as 15 years ago, Purdue was a top 5 team and in national title talks. So let's lot act like Purdue is and has always been a doormat...

As for Diaco, I'm not crowning him to be great, but it can't get much worse... Idc if he gives up yards. He could give up 1000 yards a game for all I care. As long as he gives up limited points. Diaco hasn't been bad at every stop.

Lastly, tell me how Nebraska is ahead of Purdue as a program right now. Since your so confident I'm pumping up Purdue and Nebraska will win by 20.

I'm not pumping Purdue up to be more than they are... They are a 7-8 win program that is on the up and up and is also in a downturn. Unless you are going back like 5 years, then yes, they are up. As little as 15 years ago, Purdue was a top 5 team and in national title talks. So let's lot act like Purdue is and has always been a doormat...

As for Diaco, I'm not crowning him to be great, but it can't get much worse... Idc if he gives up yards. He could give up 1000 yards a game for all I care. As long as he gives up limited points. Diaco hasn't been bad at every stop.

Lastly, tell me how Nebraska is ahead of Purdue as a program right now. Since your so confident I'm pumping up Purdue and Nebraska will win by 20.

I'm not familiar with Purdue, but I have a hard time believing you were a national title contender based on the W/L records I looked up... Purdue has had a few decent teams over the years, but the 80's to late 90's you were a doormat, Tiller had some decent teams and then you were a doormat again. With as much as I think Brohm will do a ok job there, he is still 17-21. Not exactly vaunted status. I get it, you are a Purdue homer, but no one on this board really gives two shits about Purdue and you are nowhere near a measuring stick for us. It's probably the same for you guys looking at us in basketball.

Frost has to prove it, but if you took an outside poll of what program you would rather buy stock in I guarantee it is Nebraska. Name recognition, tradition, money, ability to recruit, facilities, etc. All goes to Nebraska. Look most fans know that we are under performing and that needs to change. Hopefully we finally coach the guys up we have because roster-wise, NU has a much better roster than Purdue. Bell and Rondale are studs, no doubt, and you have a few defenders who are serviceable but our entire roster is better and we've had two really good recruiting classes with most of them redshirting.

No need to reply because I am done talking about Purdue. Wisconsin & Iowa are who we hope to eclipse because that will mean a Division Title and a shot a conference Championship. Purdue isn't, and won't ever be in that discussion outside of a fluke year.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I'm not familiar with Purdue, but I have a hard time believing you were a national title contender based on the W/L records I looked up... Purdue has had a few decent teams over the years, but the 80's to late 90's you were a doormat, Tiller had some decent teams and then you were a doormat again. With as much as I think Brohm will do a ok job there, he is still 17-21. Not exactly vaunted status. I get it, you are a Purdue homer, but no one on this board really gives two shits about Purdue and you are nowhere near a measuring stick for us. It's probably the same for you guys looking at us in basketball.

Frost has to prove it, but if you took an outside poll of what program you would rather buy stock in I guarantee it is Nebraska. Name recognition, tradition, money, ability to recruit, facilities, etc. All goes to Nebraska. Look most fans know that we are under performing and that needs to change. Hopefully we finally coach the guys up we have because roster-wise, NU has a much better roster than Purdue. Bell and Rondale are studs, no doubt, and you have a few defenders who are serviceable but our entire roster is better and we've had two really good recruiting classes with most of them redshirting.

No need to reply because I am done talking about Purdue. Wisconsin & Iowa are who we hope to eclipse because that will mean a Division Title and a shot a conference Championship. Purdue isn't, and won't ever be in that discussion outside of a fluke year.
Maybe you missed the Tiller era where Purdue was consistently good. What happened was Purdue didn't invest because they had a poor AD. I'm a firm believer that any school can buy their way to prominence. Maybe you don't agree. But Purdue is doing that. A good coach, who I'd argue is as good as Frost. And I like Frost. Some of the nicest facilities I'm the big ten. A one of a kind, sideline to sideline scoreboard going up. Will be the biggest in college football. 120+ mil about to go into the stadium. And Purdue is recruiting at a top 25ish level for two years in a row now. (Hint: that's 2nd behind Nebraska in the west)

So based on that, why can't Purdue compete for the west? Wisconsin used to be a doormat of a program.

Maybe you missed the Tiller era where Purdue was consistently good. What happened was Purdue didn't invest because they had a poor AD. I'm a firm believer that any school can buy their way to prominence. Maybe you don't agree. But Purdue is doing that. A good coach, who I'd argue is as good as Frost. And I like Frost. Some of the nicest facilities I'm the big ten. A one of a kind, sideline to sideline scoreboard going up. Will be the biggest in college football. 120+ mil about to go into the stadium. And Purdue is recruiting at a top 25ish level for two years in a row now. (Hint: that's 2nd behind Nebraska in the west)

So based on that, why can't Purdue compete for the west? Wisconsin used to be a doormat of a program.
No, any team can't buy themselves into prominence. They can do well either never have doing so before, or, have been known to be a team thats been good before.
Oregon state is a good example of this. Mike Riley started to build a little bit of a team there, won more games than was ever won there but like once in its history. Mike Riley goes into the pros, in steps Dennis Erickson, he goes even higher with this team, but even with MR returning there, it was just one small rise over the years.
Prominent programs are created by having exceptional coaching over a decade or more of time,followed by another. Look up the histories of Nebraska,Oklahoma,Ohio state,Alabama etc
The one and done of today doesnt really get it done.

No, any team can't buy themselves into prominence. They can do well either never have doing so before, or, have been known to be a team thats been good before.
Oregon state is a good example of this. Mike Riley started to build a little bit of a team there, won more games than was ever won there but like once in its history. Mike Riley goes into the pros, in steps Dennis Erickson, he goes even higher with this team, but even with MR returning there, it was just one small rise over the years.
Prominent programs are created by having exceptional coaching over a decade or more of time,followed by another. Look up the histories of Nebraska,Oklahoma,Ohio state,Alabama etc
The one and done of today doesnt really get it done.
I see there national contenders and a middling big ten team in those 4. Look at Oregon or Wisconsin. Up to 2005, Purdue had probably a more successful program. Build the infrastructure, hire a good coach, and the recruits will come. Think I'm wrong? What's Brohm been doing?

If "Blue Bloods" will always be good, or never down long, why does IU basketball suck while Purdue basketball is good?

This is a team on the up and up? Take off the glasses bro.

2010 Danny Hope 4–8 2–6 T-9th
2011 Danny Hope 7–6 4–4 3rd (Leaders) W Little Caesars Pizza
2012 Danny Hope/Patrick Higgins 6–7 3–5 4th (Leaders) L Heart of Dallas
2013 Darrell Hazell 1–11 0–8 6th (Leaders)
2014 Darrell Hazell 3–9 1–7 7th (West)
2015 Darrell Hazell 2–10 1–7 7th (West)
2016 Darrell Hazell/Gerad Parker 3–9 1–8 7th (West)
2017 Jeff Brohm 7–6 4–5 T–3rd (West) W Foster Farms
2018 Jeff Brohm 6–7 5–4 T–2nd (West) L Music City
2019 Jeff Brohm 4–8 3–6 T–5th (West)

National title contender 15 years ago? Definitely not in football.

2000 Joe Tiller 8–4 6–2 T-1st L Rose† 13 13
2001 Joe Tiller 6–6 4–4 T-4th L Sun
2002 Joe Tiller 7–6 4–4 T-5th W Sun
2003 Joe Tiller 9–4 6–2 T-2nd L Capital One 19 18
2004 Joe Tiller 7–5 4–4 T-5th L Sun
2005 Joe Tiller 5–6 3–5 8th
2006 Joe Tiller 8–6 5–3 T-4th L Champs Sports
2007 Joe Tiller 8–5 3–5 T-7th W Motor City
2008 Joe Tiller 4–8 2–6 T-9th
2009 Danny Hope 5–7 4–4 T-6th

I see there national contenders and a middling big ten team in those 4. Look at Oregon or Wisconsin. Up to 2005, Purdue had probably a more successful program. Build the infrastructure, hire a good coach, and the recruits will come. Think I'm wrong? What's Brohm been doing?

If "Blue Bloods" will always be good, or never down long, why does IU basketball suck while Purdue basketball is good?

Oregon is good because of Nike... Period. Purdue doesn't have Nike or anything close. Great engineering school, but no Nike...

200.gif

Reactions: headcard

2005, they were 5-0 and in talks when the wheels fell off after an Orton fumble that resulted in a loss at wisconisn. If you want to really get into discussion, it could be argued that the administration tied one arm behind tillers back in terms of support. That isn't an issue now.

As for a program on the up, if you look at record alone, you won't think that. But you have to look at the university and program as a whole. If you do, they are definitely on the up. What's Purdue not have to be a good program? Good as in, consistently top 25 and winning 8 or 9?

Last edited:
2005, they were 5-0 and in talks when the wheels fell off after an Orton fumble that resulted in a loss at wisconisn. If you want to really get into discussion, it could be argued that the administration tied one arm behind tillers back in terms of support. That isn't an issue now.

As for a program on the up, if you look at record alone, you won't think that. But you have to look at the university and program as a whole. If you do, they are definitely on the up. What's Purdue not have to be a good program? Good as in, consistently top 25 and winning 8 or 9?
We get it,we do, but climbing that mountain is one thing, staying there is another.

Here's to Nebraska, Purdue and Illinois rising up and dominating the West from here on. Feck Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. And does anyone give two shites about Northwestern?

Reactions: SkerInCo

Earlier you said Purdue would have one of the best offenses in the country. You believe this without having any idea how good the OL or running game will be?

Earlier you said Purdue would have one of the best offenses in the country. You believe this without having any idea how good the OL or running game will be?
I think the offense will be a top 20ish offense. I have an idea as to how good they will be, which is, shouldn't be an issue, but I want to see it/see everyone be healthy this year. I believe they will be a very good offense though. Lots of weapons. Promise at QB.

Well, Brohm has shown no signs of leaving and is on record saying he has everything he needs to build a winning team at Purdue, so that solves that.
If he stays, and gets to a high point, he then finds who his real rivals are, the few remaining. He will likely have to make adjustments away from what got him to that point, to take him over the top.

Devaney took nines years, Osborne much longer, though he maintained that high level, played in several championship games, but never won. He overhauled his offense,as he was also the OC, and finally his defense as well.
Over time, football changes, good coaches that dont change become solid coaches, good coaches that change remain good coaches, while good coaches that innovate with those changes are the most successful, and become great.
The I formation under Osborne, the wing T, the spread, all coaches who created innovations, and while all didn't become 'great', their innovation was borrowed by others, improved upon, and some of those coaches became great.
If Brohm does these things, Purdue could become a power. But it wont come overnight, but he is on the path, but theres many on that path, eventually a few work their way to the top.

If he stays, and gets to a high point, he then finds who his real rivals are, the few remaining. He will likely have to make adjustments away from what got him to that point, to take him over the top.

Devaney took nines years, Osborne much longer, though he maintained that high level, played in several championship games, but never won. He overhauled his offense,as he was also the OC, and finally his defense as well.
Over time, football changes, good coaches that dont change become solid coaches, good coaches that change remain good coaches, while good coaches that innovate with those changes are the most successful, and become great.
The I formation under Osborne, the wing T, the spread, all coaches who created innovations, and while all didn't become 'great', their innovation was borrowed by others, improved upon, and some of those coaches became great.
If Brohm does these things, Purdue could become a power. But it wont come overnight, but he is on the path, but theres many on that path, eventually a few work their way to the top.
Oh, I'm definitely not crowning Brohm as the next coming, but he is building that program and in my opinion, is probably ahead of schedule considering what he inherited. If he ever gets the defense figured out, Purdue could be a real problem. He is still trying to get things in place and get depth built up though. It was always going to be a 4-5 year rebuild back to relevance.

Oh, I'm definitely not crowning Brohm as the next coming, but he is building that program and in my opinion, is probably ahead of schedule considering what he inherited. If he ever gets the defense figured out, Purdue could be a real problem. He is still trying to get things in place and get depth built up though. It was always going to be a 4-5 year rebuild back to relevance.
I wish some here would recognize the rebuilding of a program like you do. It takes time, something no fan wants, but hopefully understands

I wish some here would recognize the rebuilding of a program like you do. It takes time, something no fan wants, but hopefully understands
Yup. Brohm has done a lot with some very bad classes. Purdue recruiting rankings per rivals since 2014.
2014: ranked 71st
2015: ranked 68th
2016: ranked 73rd
2017: ranked 68th
2018: ranked 49th
2019: ranked 26th
2020: currently 27th

As you can see, the talent is super young and it just takes time to get it ready.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT