ADVERTISEMENT

Your boy Nate G

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are looking at things from the wrong perspective. There is only one "potential opportunity" here for Nate Gerry. That is to be drafted in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft. I looked it up and Gerry is a Sociology major. That is one of the most worthless majors you can study. Even if he is lowballed in your 4-7 draft range, that $500k will be the equivalent of probably 10+ years of work in whatever Sociology-related job he can get. There is no "potential opportunity" here for Nate Gerry to be a proud Sociology graduate. That's an "opportunity" -- let's use that word VERY LIGHTLY here lol -- he can cash in on at any time from now until he is an elderly man.

The only safety prospects better than Gerry that I am aware of this draft are all underclassmen. If they don't come out, Gerry is maybe the top safety in this draft. If he runs a 4.4-4.5 and jumps 40 inches he is probably a lock for first or second round. He has the numbers and measurables already. The combine is something I believe he can excel at as well.

Holy cow there is ZERO chance he goes in the first two rounds. Safeties don't go high in general and his game film certainly isn't going to wow anyone. He could run under 4.4 at the combine(assuming he actually gets invited?) and jump 40" and it just ain't happening.

Reactions: coachDubs
Holy cow there is ZERO chance he goes in the first two rounds. Safeties don't go high in general and his game film certainly isn't going to wow anyone. He could run under 4.4 at the combine(assuming he actually gets invited?) and jump 40" and it just ain't happening.

ZERO? So you'll give me 100:1 odds? 1000:1?

I see an average of 4 safeties going in the first two rounds in the past 5 years of the NFL draft. One of those years had 4 safeties going in the first round. Depending on the underclassmen coming out, Nate could easily be in the top 4 safeties. Certainly in the top 4 senior safeties. Only guy I saw all year that I would definitively take over Gerry is Malik Hooker (a sophomore) at Ohio State.

So who are the 14 senior safeties better than him?

Malik Hooker from tOSU
Jamal Adams from LSU
Jabril Peppers from Michigan
Marcus Maye from Florida
Justin Evans from A&M
Eddie Jackson from Alabama

To name just 6 off the top of my head, there's a kid from Kansas -Fishburn I think is his name, a kid from Louisville Harvey-Clemons

Google is your friend if you have time.
CBS Sports, SI, NFL Draft Geeks. Tons of references.

Reactions: Digger6185
2016: The year the bowl game died.

That's the new thing this year, guys who have an NFL future stitched up are starting to say "no thanks" to their team's bowl game. Obviously if Gerry cared about this one he'd have put some effort in at class. His choice of actions tells you all you need to know about how much he values the game.

And not only that, but what he thinks of the team's chances of winning...

It will be another reason to expand the playoff to 8 or 16 teams.
I have been staunchly for 8 teams from the start. As these " guys " are acting out; probably should go to 16. The personal insider money grab, imo; is a big reason it started at two games - a movement is starting to cast the bowls as the money grabbers.

Reactions: otismotis08
Also a stupid business decision in terms of his draft stock. You do something dumb and selfish like that, there are going to be some teams who are moving you way down their draft board. Even if it just makes a few teams pass on you, that's thousands and thousands of dollars gone each and every time your name doesn't get called.

It's not like the kid is some can't-miss prospect who is a surefire early rounder. He needs all the positive marks he can get.
That is the best of the posts on this topic. He is delusional if he thinks that NFL has a lock on him like RBs that are sitting out. He has just put out that he makes the decision on what he wants selfish and narcissistic for him to think he did not need to also put effort into school and a bowl game. NFL is a job and it comes with a job description, study, learn, play hard, follow the rules and team program. If he does get picked I truly believe his value has now been reduced at least a round.

ZERO? So you'll give me 100:1 odds? 1000:1?

I see an average of 4 safeties going in the first two rounds in the past 5 years of the NFL draft. One of those years had 4 safeties going in the first round. Depending on the underclassmen coming out, Nate could easily be in the top 4 safeties. Certainly in the top 4 senior safeties. Only guy I saw all year that I would definitively take over Gerry is Malik Hooker (a sophomore) at Ohio State.

Zero chance might be exaggerating, but somewhere between 75-1 and 100-1 is realistic.

I have been staunchly for 8 teams from the start. As these " guys " are acting out; probably should go to 16. The personal insider money grab, imo; is a big reason it started at two games - a movement is starting to cast the bowls as the money grabbers.

Go to anymore teams and you're going to have even more guys pass on bowls.

Wow, this thread is wearing me out! As I type this, I still don't think we know for sure what is going on. Maybe Riley knows. Most college profs get grades done rather quickly but I don't know what Nebraska's time frame for finalizing grades is.

Rating Nate is a futile effort. Full of opinions and bias. Where did he land in the B1G for safeties? That should tell us something.

Can his teammates depend on him?

Does he take care of his required work/business?

Does he use his talent and abilities in the wisest manner to both complete his academic work and preform on the football field? After all, how many players across the nation are doing just that?

IF this is all true, this tells me more about Nate that would concern me. You can disconnect school and play on the field all day but it reveals character and attitude.

That's a nice story, but what does your buddy's proclivity for spending money have to do with a young man maximizing his time to prepare for the next level? You have one shot to get drafted high, and your grades in Exercise Science 420 aren't going to factor into that very much. And as your story shows, you can get that piece of paper any time.

As soon as the season ends, Nate is going to be preparing for the combine 100%. I'm sure the university would love to squeeze that last ounce of effort out of Nate so they can prop up their numbers, but I'm all for the kid putting his complete focus on the biggest potential windfall of his life.
Your reading comprehension and I am guess life experience are amazing ?

Heard a NFL guy on the radio yesterday and he said he doesn't think these guys skipping a bowl game will hurt them at all. He said the NFL coaches and GMs know that players only have so many games/seasons in thier body

Reactions: nebcountry
So who are the 14 senior safeties better than him?
Someone said Google and build up a different opinion earlier; vs just calling someone out ? Coeds and maximizing the social availabilities can't be part of it ? Long list of academic AA's at N ; that did it all.

Heard a NFL guy on the radio yesterday and he said he doesn't think these guys skipping a bowl game will hurt them at all. He said the NFL coaches and GMs know that players only have so many games/seasons in thier body
Yep; some great examples and comments in the sports page in the World Herald today. Seems like the practice is going to accelerate and is quickly gaining some acceptance. One guy was mentioned who played and got hurt; he dropped from where he was projected and the difference was from over Twenty million quaranteed to a contract of over 4 million guaranteed - real life.

Yep; some great examples and comments in the sports page in the World Herald today. Seems like the practice is going to accelerate and is quickly gaining some acceptance. One guy was mentioned who played and got hurt; he dropped from where he was projected and the difference was from over Twenty million quaranteed to a contract of over 4 million guaranteed - real life.

It's like a final exam...if you have an A in the class and the professor says "if you are happy with your grade, you don't need to take the final"...why risk it?

Riley gave a no comment to a OWH reporter asking about Gerry playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couldn't agree more and I'm surprised it took until 2016 for this to be common. I have ZERO issues with it and think it's quite smart in all honesty.

As soon as Mr. Faulk is willing to reimburse any player who gets injured in said bowl all the money he cost himself, he'll have my attention and respect. Right now, as it is, he just sounds like get off my lawn guy. Times change, and many more kids are going to do this going forward and I'm sure it will happen to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
As soon as Mr. Faulk is willing to reimburse any player who gets injured in said bowl all the money he cost himself, he'll have my attention and respect. Right now, as it is, he just sounds like get off my lawn guy. Times change, and many more kids are going to do this going forward and I'm sure it will happen to us.

He's just stating his opinion as an NFL HOF. I am quite sure he's earned that right.

Maybe the tests he may have failed have nothing to do with academics but more to do with The Other Tests they randomly do! Fill in the blanks u all can figure it out!

Maybe the tests he may have failed have nothing to do with academics but more to do with The Other Tests they randomly do! Fill in the blanks u all can figure it out!

Don't think he'd be practicing if that were the case.

One point of clarification: per his Husker bio, he was "on schedule" to graduate in May of 2017. Regardless of how he did this semester, he wasn't leaving with a paper unless he stuck around for the Spring as well. If he was focusing on getting drafted, that probably wasn't going to happen. So, it wasn't really a question of getting a degree or not.
I still think it's stupid that he pissed away a semester, and, for that matter, didn't put himself in a position to graduate in 3.5 years by taking summer classes like a lot of players do. But, if he failed his classes, he may be fairly stupid - or at least a poor student. It may be nothing more than that. He may just be a lousy student who, after having to drop the occasional class along the way, knew he wasn't going to get a degree so he didn't have the motivation to put in the work that lousy students have to put in to pass classes.

So, I just saw a video that Nate is out for the game, but coach Riley said he was ineligible, but made it sounds like it was out of his hands?

Go to the 3:30 mark

So, I just saw a video that Nate is out for the game, but coach Riley said he was ineligible, but made it sounds like it was out of his hands?

Go to the 3:30 mark
Not much Riley can do when NG has a 0.0 for the semester. Word is that he never stepped foot in a classroom this semester.

Glad the football and academic staff were keeping track of his attendance/progress during the semester. Winking
Jesus. Sometimes these guys have got to learn how to be adults. I really hope he has a football career long enough to live comfortably.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Jesus. Sometimes these guys have got to learn how to be adults. I really hope he has a football career long enough to live comfortably.
Exactly. Gerry comes from a prior staff who held everyone's hands all the time to a staff who preaches individual accountability because when you hit the real life, nobody is there to make sure you wake up to go to work every day. Gerry was a senior. One would think that he wouldn't need to be babysat to make sure he went to class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT