ADVERTISEMENT

Your boy Nate G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it appears he may well be playing since he is at practice taking reps with the first team. This comes from Sean Callahan so I will take his word over the other sources.

Either way, this is just nuts.

"IF" he truly didn't take care of his academics and is allowed to play in the bowl game...I don't want to hear another word about all of the Academic All-American football players at the University of Nebraska. This should be an easy decision to send a message to the "student" athlete and all of the other players in the program that you must take care of business in the classroom.

I am pretty sure sports that cross semesters have eligibility checks at semester. Basketball 1 and dones need to be passing 9 hours the first semester or there are penalties for the second semester to include ineligibility since they are not "progressing toward a degree" but second semester there are no further check points until after the season ends.

The confusion is that bowl games typically take place between semesters. if this were Gerry's junior season, he would be suspended for the first 4 games of next season.

Now schools can implement more stringent rules academic rules.

What's the big outcry for? Kid was here from day one to play football, not set the "academic" world ablaze. It's kind of a joke in 2016 that we still pretend these guys are "students first" when they are spending 8 hours a day doing football-related activities. Reminds me of the Ohio State guy that said something similar a few years back.

Nate Gerry is going to play football for a living and that exercise science or sociology degree he was "studying" for wasn't going to be anything but a piece of paper at the end of the day.

Reactions: WHCSC
"IF" he truly didn't take care of his academics and is allowed to play in the bowl game...I don't want to hear another word about all of the Academic All-American football players at the University of Nebraska. This should be an easy decision to send a message to the "student" athlete and all of the other players in the program that you must take care of business in the classroom.

Why would he be allowed to play if he didn't pass enough classes? Isn't that an NCAA thing? Why is everyone looking for loopholes and saying thats what they do in the SEC. Where is the proof?

Why would he be allowed to play if he didn't pass enough classes? Isn't that an NCAA thing? Why is everyone looking for loopholes and saying thats what they do in the SEC. Where is the proof?

I agree with you. I am not making excuses for the "alleged" behavior. I am all about "choices" and "consequences".

Have to ask Coach Riley why Nate is being allowed to practice.

Reactions: TFrazier
And the message it sends. Winking

How do you suspend someone when grades aren't finalized?

Last year, Riley said we had some guys that were borderline if they'll play in bowl or not because of academics. Then, on 12/25, he said there are no academic casualties.

Last year, Riley said we had some guys that were borderline if they'll play in bowl or not because of academics. Then, on 12/25, he said there are no academic casualties.

I have been saying "if" and "alleged"...thanks. Winking

What's the big outcry for? Kid was here from day one to play football, not set the "academic" world ablaze. It's kind of a joke in 2016 that we still pretend these guys are "students first" when they are spending 8 hours a day doing football-related activities. Reminds me of the Ohio State guy that said something similar a few years back.

Nate Gerry is going to play football for a living and that exercise science or sociology degree he was "studying" for wasn't going to be anything but a piece of paper at the end of the day.

Yep old buddy of mine played 3 seasons in the league. Made about 1.5 mil brought home about 900k. Spent it like he was going to earn that much forever. When his playing days were over, surprisingly he couldn't find a job that was paying $500k a year, so he sold his home for what he owed, sold 3 of his 4 cars peanuts to make ends meet, went back for to school for 2 years to receive that worthless piece of paper and is now teaching PE, coaching football and making about 50k a year. But boy he was cool at 22

Yep old buddy of mine played 3 seasons in the league. Made about 1.5 mil brought home about 900k. Spent it like he was going to earn that much forever. When his playing days were over, surprisingly he couldn't find a job that was paying $500k a year, so he sold his home for what he owed, sold 3 of his 4 cars peanuts to make ends meet, went back for to school for 2 years to receive that worthless piece of paper and is now teaching PE, coaching football and making about 50k a year. But boy he was cool at 22

That's a nice story, but what does your buddy's proclivity for spending money have to do with a young man maximizing his time to prepare for the next level? You have one shot to get drafted high, and your grades in Exercise Science 420 aren't going to factor into that very much. And as your story shows, you can get that piece of paper any time.

As soon as the season ends, Nate is going to be preparing for the combine 100%. I'm sure the university would love to squeeze that last ounce of effort out of Nate so they can prop up their numbers, but I'm all for the kid putting his complete focus on the biggest potential windfall of his life.

That's a nice story, but what does your buddy's proclivity for spending money have to do with a young man maximizing his time to prepare for the next level? You have one shot to get drafted high, and your grades in Exercise Science 420 aren't going to factor into that very much. And as your story shows, you can get that piece of paper any time.

As soon as the season ends, Nate is going to be preparing for the combine 100%. I'm sure the university would love to squeeze that last ounce of effort out of Nate so they can prop up their numbers, but I'm all for the kid putting his complete focus on the biggest potential windfall of his life.
Except that clearly his focus is NOT on his potential windfall since his draft stock is most likely going to be hurt by his flunking out. NFL teams look at stuff like that. They do not want to take someone in the higher rounds who has so so talent, if that person is deemed immature. They will wait and take a chance in a later round. Nor are going to class and preparing for the NFL mutually exclusive. Thousands have done it successfully. Finally, in hurting the University's graduation rate for football players he hurts the program that made his rise to the NFL possible. Selfish asshole if you ask me. And stupid

I would assume the coaching staff via communication with the academic support personnel have a general idea about the academic status of every student athlete. If the coaching staff is aware that this could be happening in the very near future, there is nothing that can stop a coach from giving the backups many more repetitions in practice heading into the bowl game.

Again this is all hypothetical until something comes out from the football coaching staff or the athletic department regarding any student athlete.

I would assume the coaching staff via communication with the academic support personnel have a general idea about the academic status of every student athlete. If the coaching staff is aware that this could be happening in the very near future, there is nothing that can stop a coach from giving the backups many more repetitions in practice heading into the bowl game.

Again this is all hypothetical until something comes out from the football coaching staff or the athletic department regarding any student athlete.
It also matters if he has had prior offenses academically. If he was on what most places call "academic probation", then the mere act of not attending classes would trigger consequences long before actual grades are due. You can be hauled before the dean and even expelled from school if you are on probation and then stop going to classes.

Reactions: TFrazier
It also matters if he has had prior offenses academically. If he was on what most places call "academic probation", then the mere act of not attending classes would trigger consequences long before actual grades are due. You can be hauled before the dean and even expelled from school if you are on probation and then stop going to classes.

Good point. Winking

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Except that clearly his focus is NOT on his potential windfall since his draft stock is most likely going to be hurt by his flunking out. NFL teams look at stuff like that. They do not want to take someone in the higher rounds who has so so talent, if that person is deemed immature. They will wait and take a chance in a later round. Nor are going to class and preparing for the NFL mutually exclusive. Thousands have done it successfully. Finally, in hurting the University's graduation rate for football players he hurts the program that made his rise to the NFL possible. Selfish asshole if you ask me. And stupid

They drafted LP top 5. You know the rest of the story there.

Again, Nate can get his piece of paper anytime. No need to talk about selfish people when the NCAA has been enriching themselves off the backs of kids like Nate for decades now.

They drafted LP top 5. You know the rest of the story there.

Again, Nate can get his piece of paper anytime. No need to talk about selfish people when the NCAA has been enriching themselves off the backs of kids like Nate for decades now.
I said players with so-so talent. Obviously NFL teams might be willing to take a risk on a guy if he is thought to have franchise changing talent. Gerry is a talented safety. But he is not so talented that an NFL team will want to take him now in the second round given his immaturity. They will wait. And so his payday goes down. It happens. I am not blowing smoke for crying out loud.

I said players with so-so talent. Obviously NFL teams might be willing to take a risk on a guy if he is thought to have franchise changing talent. Gerry is a talented safety. But he is not so talented that an NFL team will want to take him now in the second round given his immaturity. They will wait. And so his payday goes down. It happens. I am not blowing smoke for crying out loud.

I understand your point of view, we may just disagree on the type of talent Gerry is. While not an LP or Randy Moss type, I do think a 2nd round selection is very possible in his case. Not a lot of guys like him around for this draft.

I understand your point of view, we may just disagree on the type of talent Gerry is. While not an LP or Randy Moss type, I do think a 2nd round selection is very possible in his case. Not a lot of guys like him around for this draft.
You make a good point. A lot does depend too on how many players there are at a certain position that are draftable in any given year. And yes, we probably do differ on how talented Gerry is!

And you know his backup isn't receiving more reps? There's a lot of assumptions going on. Regardless, he should've been sent packing a year ago, with a half dozen other players.

Reactions: 94husker

It's more about maturity than the proclivity for spending money. If he was a sure fire first or second round pick and a probable 10 year starter in the league then it makes sense to blow off the degree. But he is probably a 4-7 round pick with a non guaranteed contract and a minimal signing bonus. He is being shortsighted for what could amount to a $500k windfall minus taxes and agent fees plus paying the agent back for the advance he gives him to live in Arizona or wherever to train for 4 or 5 months. Bottom line is most guys don't make it. The ones who blew off school and had no backup plan are usually the ones that end up like my friend because they lack the maturity to plan for the unexpected.

It's a shame to watch as people shit away potential opportunity because they didn't want to do a little homework.

zero_point_zero.gif

It's more about maturity than the proclivity for spending money. If he was a sure fire first or second round pick and a probable 10 year starter in the league then it makes sense to blow off the degree. But he is probably a 4-7 round pick with a non guaranteed contract and a minimal signing bonus. He is being shortsighted for what could amount to a $500k windfall minus taxes and agent fees plus paying the agent back for the advance he gives him to live in Arizona or wherever to train for 4 or 5 months. Bottom line is most guys don't make it. The ones who blew off school and had no backup plan are usually the ones that end up like my friend because they lack the maturity to plan for the unexpected.

It's a shame to watch as people shit away potential opportunity because they didn't want to do a little homework.
All true. Which is why I do wonder if there is something other than sheer laziness going on here. We do not always know what is going on in someone's life

January 9. All student-athletes are still under first semester academics until their entire season is complete.

Does it really matter when the 2nd semester start. Once grades are posted for first semester , it use to be that is when the eligibility started. May of changed.

You are looking at things from the wrong perspective. There is only one "potential opportunity" here for Nate Gerry. That is to be drafted in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft. I looked it up and Gerry is a Sociology major. That is one of the most worthless majors you can study. Even if he is lowballed in your 4-7 draft range, that $500k will be the equivalent of probably 10+ years of work in whatever Sociology-related job he can get. There is no "potential opportunity" here for Nate Gerry to be a proud Sociology graduate. That's an "opportunity" -- let's use that word VERY LIGHTLY here lol -- he can cash in on at any time from now until he is an elderly man.

The only safety prospects better than Gerry that I am aware of this draft are all underclassmen. If they don't come out, Gerry is maybe the top safety in this draft. If he runs a 4.4-4.5 and jumps 40 inches he is probably a lock for first or second round. He has the numbers and measurables already. The combine is something I believe he can excel at as well.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Does it really matter when the 2nd semester start. Once grades are posted for first semester , it use to be that is when the eligibility started. May of changed.

I answered a question with a date. That's my understanding as well. Fall sport eligibility, during the season, relies on first semester academics.

Daimion Stafford is a starter and captain for the Tennessee Titans now, by the way. People used to say the same things about him. Gerry is a much better prospect than Daimion was.

There isn't a draft board out there that has him projected higher than 3rd round and rated as the 8th best Strong Safety or the 15th best overall safety. You have him as a first rounder and the best senior safety.

So who are the 14 senior safeties better than him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT