ADVERTISEMENT

Your boy Nate G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Letting a player play football for all but 2 games and he "allegedly" rarely attended classes ALL semester...the ball was dropped by several individuals/groups.

First and foremost NG dropped the ball big time and his Nebraska Legacy is tarnished because of his own actions...choices and consequences.

Coach Riley stated he just found out and he is suspended for the game. Are there rules for players attending classes and what if any procedures are in place to monitor class attendance?

Did the academic support staff monitor his academic progress during the semester and alert the football staff or athletic department if there were any irregularities?

NG is ultimately responsible for his own actions but you can bet new procedures will be put in place going forward to make sure this type of situation is monitored/handled differently.
Ummm I knew guys that rarely attended classes who still pulled 4.0s. Now some profs actually post the entire lecture and their notes so that attendance is optional. So blaming Riley when he knows a guy isn't attending class is not reasonable. SECONDLY THERE IS A LINE WHERE A COACH HAS TO BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT HOW HE INQUIRES ABOUT AN ATHLETE'S GRADES. An inquiry from a coach may be construed as pressure on a prof to pass said athlete.

How does Gerry being ineligible affect Nebraska's APR? Or is that even still a thing?

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/division-i-academic-progress-rate-apr

Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR)
Implemented in 2003 as part of an ambitious academic reform effort in Division I, the Academic Progress Rate (APR) holds institutions accountable for the academic progress of their student-athletes through a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each student-athlete for each academic term.

The APR emerged when Division I presidents and chancellors sought a more timely assessment of academic success at colleges and universities. At the time, the best measure was the graduation rate calculated under the federally mandated methodology that was based on a six-year window and did not take transfers into account.

In addition to developing the APR, the presidents also adopted a new graduation rate methodology that more accurately reflects student-athlete transfer patterns and other factors affecting graduation (the new rate is called the Graduation Success Rate).

The APR system includes rewards for superior academic performance and penalties for teams that do not achieve certain academic benchmarks. Data are collected annually, and results are announced in the spring.

The Division I Committee on Academics (CoA) oversees the Academic Progress Rate as part of its responsibilities with the Academic Performance Program. The CoA sets policies and recommends legislative changes to the Division I Board of Directors which has the final say on changes in Division I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT