ADVERTISEMENT

Your boy Nate G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture yourself as Nate.
You are 11 years old and your face already looks like a fist.
You have been studying the civil rights movement.
The history teacher asks you who refused to give up her seat on the bus and you say "the bus driver?"

Everybody laughs at you.

The point is that coaches and staff monitoring grades, following kids to class, etc. is ineffectual. Gerry being declared ineligible for this game is surely a major disappointment to this team. As a result, in the future, partly because of this disappointment, teammates, and not coaches, are likely to be the ones to enforce team rules. The kids who play for Nebraska now will remember what it was like to have a selfish teammate. How they react will be a strong predictor of future outcomes

I am talking about all of the student athletes not just one.

I have had 2 kids play college athletics and a third who graduated HS this week and heads off to college January 9. It is and was my responsibility to teach them about the value of the life changing opportunity. The coach is there to coach. They are there to earn a degree and play intercollegiate athletics. They all knew the consequences for failing classes.

Again if a coach wants to monitor so they can punish, I am all for it. But if he told the players what the expectations were and that he wasn't going to monitor and what the consequences were if they did not meet the expectations. I am good with that too.

I have had 2 kids play college athletics and a third who graduated HS this week and heads off to college January 9. It is and was my responsibility to teach them about the value of the life changing opportunity. The coach is there to coach. They are there to earn a degree and play intercollegiate athletics. They all knew the consequences for failing classes.

Again if a coach wants to monitor so they can punish, I am all for it. But if he told the players what the expectations were and that he wasn't going to monitor and what the consequences were if they did not meet the expectations. I am good with that too.

I hear exactly what you are saying and agree with many of the points. I guess we will never know what has been said to the "player" and the team. This is one of the frustrating facets of this situation. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

The point is that coaches and staff monitoring grades, following kids to class, etc. is ineffectual. Gerry being declared ineligible for this game is surely a major disappointment to this team. As a result, in the future, partly because of this disappointment, teammates, and not coaches, are likely to be the ones to enforce team rules. The kids who play for Nebraska now will remember what it was like to have a selfish teammate. How they react will be a strong predictor of future outcomes
Ok. Gotcha. Riley preaches individual accountability and it looks like Gerry hung himself with the rope he was given. No shock it was a Bobot who probably had his hand held and walked to class everyday that this happened to. I agree he could have been used as an example. Maybe they will have posters made up to put in the locker room with Gerry's picture that says, "Don't let this happen to you".

Ok. Gotcha. Riley preaches individual accountability and it looks like Gerry hung himself with the rope he was given. No shock it was a Bobot who probably had his hand held and walked to class everyday that this happened to. I agree he could have been used as an example. Maybe they will have posters made up to put in the locker room with Gerry's picture that says, "Don't let this happen to you".
Love it! As long as the players are making the posters and not the staff

Nebraska has a pretty good tradition of Academic All Americans. I'd like to see the coaching staff do more to support/enforce this. So they didn't know this was happening all semester long, that's one big ugly black eye to Coach Riley in my opinion. It's in the football teams best interest to be monitoring these things. Not everyone requires this level of oversight, but some do, and it's part of a person's development. This actually changes my perception of Mike in a negative way. I thought we had people on staff specifically for managing these things.

Nebraska has a pretty good tradition of Academic All Americans. I'd like to see the coaching staff do more to support/enforce this. So they didn't know this was happening all semester long, that's one big ugly black eye to Coach Riley in my opinion. It's in the football teams best interest to be monitoring these things. Not everyone requires this level of oversight, but some do, and it's part of a person's development. This actually changes my perception of Mike in a negative way. I thought we had people on staff specifically for managing these things.

Why do you think Riley didn't know about it? I haven't seen anything from the university that says, we are as shocked as the rest of you.

Gerry isn't a 18 year old freshman, away from home for the first time.

He knew he needed to pass classes to be eligible and he simply didn't go to class. You can't get 0.0 without a huge amount of effort.

As I stated before, I wish Riley would have dismissed him from the team when it became apparent he wasn't going to class and had no intention on going to class. With that said, if there are no rules in place concerning class attendance, you can't make them up halfway through the season, simply because you may have other players, not attending class but still "earning" a passing grade. He may have found himself short quite a few players.

I don't get that this is some sort of a black eye on anyone but the player. There are 120-130 players on this football team, yet only 2 failed to meet the minimum standard and both of those players have been in the program for 3 years.

Reactions: 94husker
Screw off, i do not defend bo for anything i wanted him gone before you did probably. Wanna call a spade a spade? You are a butthurt jackass when anyone says anything remotely critical about this staff, especially when its the same stuff bo was in trouble for.
The fact that you posted that, out of no where, proves you arent adult enough to admit you were wrong in ehat you said earlier.
Glad to know i live rent free inside your head for whatever reason, though. Psycho.
Did I hit a nerve? Hahaha. This is where Bloners would demamd someone do somerhing about the name calling. But I like when you are so mad because someone called you out for exactly what you are.
Keep it up. This is fun

Why do you think Riley didn't know about it? I haven't seen anything from the university that says, we are as shocked as the rest of you.
In the video I posted yesterday, Riley says they found out about it near the beginning of the week. He doesn't want to give a definitive answer, but it is pretty easy to hear that and infer that he did not know that NG had been skipping class all semester.

Gerry isn't a 18 year old freshman, away from home for the first time.

He knew he needed to pass classes to be eligible and he simply didn't go to class. You can't get 0.0 without a huge amount of effort.
This is true, we should expect a better example from a team captain. It was also a missed teaching opportunity on how to be a leader, one that NG didn't receive until it actually hurt others on the team.

As I stated before, I wish Riley would have dismissed him from the team when it became apparent he wasn't going to class and had no intention on going to class. With that said, if there are no rules in place concerning class attendance, you can't make them up halfway through the season, simply because you may have other players, not attending class but still "earning" a passing grade. He may have found himself short quite a few players.

I don't get that this is some sort of a black eye on anyone but the player. There are 120-130 players on this football team, yet only 2 failed to meet the minimum standard and both of those players have been in the program for 3 years.
The bold part is where I see the black eye.. it is in effect saying there are no rules in place for this from coach Riley. It comes off as 'lack of institutional control' -ish

It really comes down to how much freedom vs how much structure do you give the team? I guess for me, when it starts impacting the team or others, then it becomes a problem. Heck, Nate's backup, missed out on valuable practice time, reps that Nate took, when he should have known he could not play.

When I was an incoming Freshman set to play baseball, our college coach gave us exactly 1 speech about grades.
He told us he is not our Mom, and will not babysit any of us. We were at college to learn, and this was our one warning in advance. Any academic issues would mean a one-way ticket to not being with the team until it is fixed to a satisfactory level.
But he also didn't have a fan-base ready to attack him no matter what he did. Imagine if Riley didn't allow him to play this year. All you guys saying he should have held him "more accountable" would be absolutely livid that he didn't play him. That is the truth, plain and simple. Hell you would attack him for simply saying it was a violation of team rules. Get over yourselves. Nate is not a kid.
Time to "point the thumb".... or just continue to keep saying that while blaming everyone else.

i don't think that's true at all. i'd be fine with suspending a guy for not going to his classes. in fact, it feels a little dirty to me to let a kid play all season knowing he's not going. I'm sure it's not the first time and we're far from the first program to do it though. I remember hearing that the year my school went to the CWS our starting SS/Closer and future big league rotation guy was playing in June with a 0.0 GPA, having not attended a class since he knew he was going to be a decently high MLB draft pick. Felt pretty gross, but those are the rules, I guess.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
WTF does Bo have to do with any of this? If you brought him up you flat our suck!! 100% on the player (regardless of who recruited or coached the player). Gonna be a tough bowl game but perhaps others with use this opportunity and step up.

GBR

Reactions: huskerfan1414
No, the coaches didn't.

Letting a player play football for all but 2 games and he "allegedly" rarely attended classes ALL semester...the ball was dropped by several individuals/groups.

First and foremost NG dropped the ball big time and his Nebraska Legacy is tarnished because of his own actions...choices and consequences.

Coach Riley stated he just found out and he is suspended for the game. Are there rules for players attending classes and what if any procedures are in place to monitor class attendance?

Did the academic support staff monitor his academic progress during the semester and alert the football staff or athletic department if there were any irregularities?

NG is ultimately responsible for his own actions but you can bet new procedures will be put in place going forward to make sure this type of situation is monitored/handled differently.

Wonder if the attitude here would be so forgiving of the kid if the team had made a run at the playoffs. I am sure it would be even worse trying to pin it on football coaches.

Letting a player play football for all but 2 games and he "allegedly" rarely attended classes ALL semester...the ball was dropped by several individuals/groups.

First and foremost NG dropped the ball big time and his Nebraska Legacy is tarnished because of his own actions...choices and consequences.

Coach Riley stated he just found out and he is suspended for the game. Are there rules for players attending classes and what if any procedures are in place to monitor class attendance?

Did the academic support staff monitor his academic progress during the semester and alert the football staff or athletic department if there were any irregularities?

NG is ultimately responsible for his own actions but you can bet new procedures will be put in place going forward to make sure this type of situation is monitored/handled differently.

Your crusade is noted, I'm not interested in your allegations response, but carry on. Winking

OK well you would think the coaches already knew there was a red flag and should have found him some help before it was too late. Tutors or study sessions etc. Coach should have been on his a*s at the first sign of trouble. Granted they are not here to baby sit but you would think someone would be monitoring these types of things.

OK well you would think the coaches already knew there was a red flag and should have found him some help before it was too late. Tutors or study sessions etc. Coach should have been on his a*s at the first sign of trouble. Granted they are not here to baby sit but you would think someone would be monitoring these types of things.

You shouldn't assume they did nothing.

If this were part of a trend on the team then I would be worried. It isn't so I'm not.

This is all on Gerry. He failed to get his degree and that may or may not hurt him in life. Not everyone in life needs a college degree to be happy and/or successful in life.

Time to move on. Next man up.

If the goal is to make men out of boys...including teaching grown men to be responsible for the outcomes/consequences of their effort and behavior, them I'm all for it.

Reactions: Archie Graham
Holy cow there is ZERO chance he goes in the first two rounds. Safeties don't go high in general and his game film certainly isn't going to wow anyone. He could run under 4.4 at the combine(assuming he actually gets invited?) and jump 40" and it just ain't happening.
It's not likely he'll be drafted before the third round.. but after Tebow and manziel both were drafted in first round I will never say zero chance for anyone

Have heard from birdies that TA is 100% but is butting heads with Langs, thus he is starting Fyfe.
Doubt he is 100%; but he likes to do it his way. Not the first difference of opinion - where the guy on the field does it his way. Maybe TA can be brought in for a change of pace - I have to guess Ta's receivers in the Iowa game, weren't in dispute with him over his having a hamstring injury.

It's not likely he'll be drafted before the third round.. but after Tebow and manziel both were drafted in first round I will never say zero chance for anyone

The only difference being those two players were flat out studs in college. NG on the other hand......

Serious Question: Boaz Joseph? what was the story there? is he going to be with the team in the spring? I know some folks were high on him and I believe he was one of the guys that was close to playing time when we had some injuries in the secondary.

Serious Question: Boaz Joseph? what was the story there? is he going to be with the team in the spring? I know some folks were high on him and I believe he was one of the guys that was close to playing time when we had some injuries in the secondary.
I would say it's time to move on. He's what the 5th corner, assuming none of the red shirts pass him up.

Reactions: GBRhuskers
Your crusade is noted, I'm not interested in your allegations response, but carry on. Winking

If expecting a scholarship athlete to attend class daily, be held accountable during the actual season if he isn't, and provide him all the assistance he would ever need to achieve success if he wants it...then I gladly accept the "crusade".

Happy Holidays to you and your family. Winking

If expecting a scholarship athlete to attend class daily, be held accountable during the actual season if he isn't, and provide him all the assistance he would ever need to achieve success if he wants it...then I gladly accept the "crusade".

If, if, if, very popular with you. Winking

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT