ADVERTISEMENT

Vedral in Portal?

I don't think we have lost him. However winning makes everything easier that includes recruiting. If Frost has another losing season or IMO can't get above 7 wins. I could see the wheels start falling off recruiting wise.
K.Johnson up to 75% Hawks on the recruiting board. Only thing missing is the mod "smile" before the commit. Looks like Skyler Bell might be the odd one out.

The posters that would like Frost gone are probably fans of other teams and like to create chaos on other teams boards I feel. Im just wondering who they think would be better for Nebraska than Frost at this point. We have tried numerous other coaches and things haven't gotten any better because we are a spoiled fan base and don't realize what it takes to bring back a program when it is at rock bottom. Nick Saban or Urban or anybody remotely close do not venture to places with very little recruiting population. Things will get better as long as we stick to the course

The posters that would like Frost gone are probably fans of other teams and like to create chaos on other teams boards I feel. Im just wondering who they think would be better for Nebraska than Frost at this point. We have tried numerous other coaches and things haven't gotten any better because we are a spoiled fan base and don't realize what it takes to bring back a program when it is at rock bottom. Nick Saban or Urban or anybody remotely close do not venture to places with very little recruiting population. Things will get better as long as we stick to the course
Initially I was in the camp of he better have success by year 3 or 4 or he should be fired. By success I mean at least winning the west. However as I started thinking about it. What made Nebraska great for such a long time. What about Alabama today? What gives programs like Iowa and Wisc the ability to compete even though their recruiting isn't at the level of many top programs? ....... CONSISTENCY. It takes consistency. It takes everyone on the same page over years and years. It is developing a system, from the way kids eat, to the players recruited, to development of those recruits. Everyone knows what is expected and how to do it flawlessly.
Nebraska has lacked that consistency since TO left. As the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. We have tried the revolving door of coaches. It didn't work. We now have a coach who understands Nebraska football to his core. I guarantee we will not find another coach who wants Nebraska to get back to elite status more than Frost. We must give him time to get this figured out, he is still young and learning. Lets say Frost has 2 more losing season and we run him out, what next? Who do we get to come here? I promise it isn't a top level coach. It won't matter how much money you throw at him. So basically we would be left taking shots at an unproven assisting. In which case he probably moves on to better programs once he achieves any level of success. Maybe we are able to convince a retired coach to come out like UNC did with Brown. Lets face it we are not the top of the heap for coaching jobs anymore.

What’s the recruiting board? I still see 60% Nebraska, 20% Iowa and 20% (?) on TOS.
The Iowa rivals site has a recruiting board that list percentages for each recruit. The mods rarely set it to 75% unless the commit is forthcoming. They don't list it as 100% ever. 100% = 75% on the boards and then the mods create a thread with the recruits name and a simple smiley face. When we get the Blair smile it's usually the same day we see the commit.

Initially I was in the camp of he better have success by year 3 or 4 or he should be fired. By success I mean at least winning the west. However as I started thinking about it. What made Nebraska great for such a long time. What about Alabama today? What gives programs like Iowa and Wisc the ability to compete even though their recruiting isn't at the level of many top programs? ....... CONSISTENCY. It takes consistency. It takes everyone on the same page over years and years. It is developing a system, from the way kids eat, to the players recruited, to development of those recruits. Everyone knows what is expected and how to do it flawlessly.
Nebraska has lacked that consistency since TO left. As the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. We have tried the revolving door of coaches. It didn't work. We now have a coach who understands Nebraska football to his core. I guarantee we will not find another coach who wants Nebraska to get back to elite status more than Frost. We must give him time to get this figured out, he is still young and learning. Lets say Frost has 2 more losing season and we run him out, what next? Who do we get to come here? I promise it isn't a top level coach. It won't matter how much money you throw at him. So basically we would be left taking shots at an unproven assisting. In which case he probably moves on to better programs once he achieves any level of success. Maybe we are able to convince a retired coach to come out like UNC did with Brown. Lets face it we are not the top of the heap for coaching jobs anymore.
I don’t think any coach can survive five straight losing seasons. And I don’t think Frost will either. I just hope we don’t have to have to worry about that.

Reactions: husker2612
The Iowa rivals site has a recruiting board that list percentages for each recruit. The mods rarely set it to 75% unless the commit is forthcoming. They don't list it as 100% ever. 100% = 75% on the boards and then the mods create a thread with the recruits name and a simple smiley face. When we get the Blair smile it's usually the same day we see the commit.
Wow. Sounds like Iowa made HTO and LouisianaHusker mods.

Last edited:
I don’t think any coach can survive five straight losing seasons. And I don’t think Frost will either. I just hope we don’t have to have to worry about that.
I would have to agree. So do you think he should get at least 3 more years no matter what the record says or what do you think he needs to accomplish to stay safe for another 3 years.

I would have to agree. So do you think he should get at least 3 more years no matter what the record says or what do you think he needs to accomplish to stay safe for another 3 years.
I think he's safe for a fifth year regardless of his record in years 3 and 4 - unless things completely fall apart in year 4. I think making it to year 6 will require a winning record in year 5.

We will have back to back toughest schedules in football the next 2 years. Improvement may not show in wins vs losses
It will be thought to jump to 10+ wins over night. But no reason we can’t go from 4,5 of the last two years, up to 7,8 the next couple years. That would be continued progress and upward trajectory.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It will be thought to jump to 10+ wins over night. But no reason we can’t go from 4,5 of the last two years, up to 7,8 the next couple years. That would be continued progress and upward trajectory.
Exactly reach 7-8 and maybe sneak a 9 win season in there recruiting will really take off. It sucks with no spring practice with the age of this team and I believe it will show this fall. But all Frost can do is lay one brick at a time at this point.

I still have faith he is the right coach for the job. We did just complete only year 2.

If Noah wasn't graduating, it made no sense to transfer. A position switch would be better in that situation.

Now that we know that he's graduating, it makes all of the sense in the world for him to transfer. He can find a D-1 program that needs a QB, selling himself with Joe Burrow comparisons (not real but perceived). He then can get his masters degree paid for from another university, a good move.

Maybe he can get some interest from a top end academic institution who has an average football program and needs a QB.
THIS. Good move by Vedral. He got to be a Husker for a couple of years....played a little, although not as much as he wanted I am sure. Got a degree. Can move on and work on his masters.....and maybe be "the guy." If he wants to coach...as has been reported....this is a good setup.

Wow. I would disagree on every front. Vedral was a train wreck playing against Minnesota and hasn’t shown anything to indicate he could have led us to more wins than AM. I also wouldn’t blame him for leaving, to be a starter. It’s one thing to be the second string guy, getting PT and being one snap away from being the guy. But now he has been passed up by Luke and is a third team, guy that would never play. Not sure how a kid choosing to move on in that situation would be an indictment on the staff or program.
Let's be clear, the team was a train wreck at Minnesota

If this is the case, AMart better never see the field again. If we are going to stack up the moral victories, we might as well do it with someone that will be around after the schedule excuse isnt a crutch.
So is having a tough schedule a fact or can it only be an excuse? Personally I hope Frost plays whoever gives us the best chance to win games. But then again I'm the simpleton who believes that's what Frost's goal is and not setting up moral victories or excuses.

Good job. Continue scouring the internet and keep us informed.

No scouring. I was reading a story on the Utah lineman commit and it was on there. I think someone at the Journal Star accidentally put it on there. It disappeared fast.

Reactions: headcard
So is having a tough schedule a fact or can it only be an excuse? Personally I hope Frost plays whoever gives us the best chance to win games. But then again I'm the simpleton who believes that's what Frost's goal is and not setting up moral victories or excuses.

Mike Riley had the 4th toughest SoS the year he got fired....not calling you out specifically, but i just get tired of the double standard on here.

Mike Riley had the 4th toughest SoS the year he got fired....not calling you out specifically, but i just get tired of the double standard on here.
mike riley didn't get fired over wins and losses. he was fired for being a limp-wristed lameduck who was clearly in over his head.

You do have a point, but I get so tired of that stuff too. We have a lot of fans doing it:

We fired Solich who won right away, so any coach that doesn’t has to go.
Pelini won 9 and had to go, so you should not accept less for any other Coach.
Riley wasn’t given excuses, so Frost shouldn’t either.

On and on and on.

I supported all those coaches, probably longer than most. However, at some point, we need to stop all that BS and get behind rebuilding this program and stop arguing over the ghosts of past coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
That's totally fair. Put me on record that Scott Frost will be fired if he's under .500 the next two seasons. If he's under .500 next season he'll have one of the hottest seats in college football. It was easy to see Riley's final season that the wheels had come completely off and he was in over his head. Every aspect of the team was in free fall. He deserved to be fired. I don't see a double standard because I think Frost rightly gets a ton of criticism, but I also think you can see something being built. Never saw that from Riley.

That's totally fair. Put me on record that Scott Frost will be fired if he's under .500 the next two seasons. If he's under .500 next season he'll have one of the hottest seats in college football. It was easy to see Riley's final season that the wheels had come completely off and he was in over his head. Every aspect of the team was in free fall. He deserved to be fired. I don't see a double standard because I think Frost rightly gets a ton of criticism, but I also think you can see something being built. Never saw that from Riley.

Totally agree the wheels fell off. When Eichorst made Riley hire Diaco, that was the beginning of the end. One could argue that after the bowl win we had some momentum with Riley. Then he had to fire Banker...shit went south from there. And Riley had some key misses on recruits, kids that everyone was excited about that just didnt pan out. I just hope that in a couple years we arent saying the same thing about some of the kids Frost has brought in that we are all excited about. Right now we cant afford to miss on many.

One could argue that after the bowl win we had some momentum with Riley. Then he had to fire Banker...shit went south from there.
Banker wasn't fired following a bowl win. He was still at NU the season after NU beat UCLA.

And while I'm certainly not a fan of Diaco, he had absolutely nothing to do with home loss to Northern Illinois, which is the game that put the wheels in motion to send Mike Riley packing.

Banker wasn't fired following a bowl win. He was still at NU the season after NU beat UCLA.

And while I'm certainly not a fan of Diaco, he had absolutely nothing to do with home loss to Northern Illinois, which is the game that put the wheels in motion to send Mike Riley packing.
riley could've won any amount of games and it wouldn't have mattered.

if Bill Moos had a chance to hire Coach Frost after the season he had at UCF, he would've done it regardless. and he would've been right to do so.

Sorry, you are correct. I had my bowl game results flipped around in my head. He was fired after the Tennessee game, which we lost.

I'll agree to disagree on Diaco. When you go from being the 33rd best scoring defense to the 116th...you aren't going to win many games. The offense wasnt good, but we scored roughly the same amount of points we did per game as the prior year.

Sorry, you are correct. I had my bowl game results flipped around in my head. He was fired after the Tennessee game, which we lost.

I'll agree to disagree on Diaco. When you go from being the 33rd best scoring defense to the 116th...you aren't going to win many games. The offense wasnt good, but we scored roughly the same amount of points we did per game as the prior year.
Diaco was a screwball, and the defense completely quit on him late in the season. But by that point the handwriting was already on the wall for Riley. And in the game that sealed his fate more than any other, Northern Illinois's offense only found the end zone once.

Even goofy, incompetent defensive coordinators don't cause pick-sixes, or force his team's QB to throw 9 INTs in the first four games. That had more to do with Riley getting pink-slipped than the defensive meltdown at the end of the season. No disagreement about Diaco sucking, I just don't buy the narrative of his hiring being Riley's downfall.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
I ,for the most part, agree with what you are saying . The administration is following this path as well.

My concern lies in the System comments, this offense is not a viable system as it operates today. We are not able to move the ball consistantly inside the red zone.

More over, it's not an offense that seems to work against the better Defenses. And I realize we have had issues with the O line.

In additon, the play calling has been poor at best .

The firing of our offensive coordinator gives creadence to my arguement.

Reactions: husker2612
I ,for the most part, agree with what you are saying . The administration is following this path as well.

My concern lies in the System comments, this offense is not a viable system as it operates today. We are not able to move the ball consistantly inside the red zone.

More over, it's not an offense that seems to work against the better Defenses. And I realize we have had issues with the O line.

In additon, the play calling has been poor at best .

The firing of our offensive coordinator gives creadence to my arguement.

Scott Frost calls all the plays. The only thing you can put on Walters is poor game planning.

Diaco was a screwball, and the defense completely quit on him late in the season. But by that point the handwriting was already on the wall for Riley. And in the game that sealed his fate more than any other, Northern Illinois's offense only found the end zone once.

Even goofy, incompetent defensive coordinators don't cause pick-sixes, or force his team's QB to throw 9 INTs in the first four games. That had more to do with Riley getting pink-slipped than the defensive meltdown at the end of the season. No disagreement about Diaco sucking, I just don't buy the narrative of his hiring being Riley's downfall.
IMO, IF Riley had kept Banker, he might still be the head coach at Nebraska. Gebbia would be our starting QB right now..... IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts..

Reactions: HuskerTilDeath
IMO, IF Riley had kept Banker, he might still be the head coach at Nebraska. Gebbia would be our starting QB right now..... IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts..
So which of the 2017 losses turn into wins if Banker is still the DC? Certainly not Northern Illinois, and I don't think Banker prevents NU from throwing four interceptions at Oregon, two of which were turned directly into TDs. I don't see the Huskers beating Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State or Iowa that year with Banker on the sideline, and I don't think backup QB Patrick O'Brien leads them to victory at Minnesota. The defense was pretty bad against Northwestern, so maybe Banker flips that one into the win column - but he would have had to overcome three INTs to get there.

Sorry but the Poor-Smilin-Mike-lost-his-job-because-Shawn-Eichorst-forced-him-to-hire-Diaco narrative has never held any water. As awful as Diaco was, NU's lopsided losses to good teams were going to happen anyway and their losses to bad teams were more attributable to turnovers than to bad defensive schemes.

Tanner Lee got Riley fired. Jesus he was awful.
I don't put it all on Lee, either. He didn't decide to put an overhyped statue with a propensity for turnovers behind the same awful offensive line that practically got Tommy Armstrong killed.

But maybe we can pin that decision on Eichorst too!

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I don't put it all on Lee, either. He didn't decide to put an overhyped statue with a propensity for turnovers behind the same awful offensive line that practically got Tommy Armstrong killed.

But maybe we can pin that decision on Eichorst too!

Heck, Devaney is right up there too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT