ADVERTISEMENT

Portal example: Myles Farmer back in it

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
I’ve seen several mentions about following up w/ how transfers pan out and saw Myles Farmer is leaving Syracuse to the portal again.

He went from being a starter on a bad defense, but recording 73 total tackles, to being an apparent 3rd string at Syracuse where he recorded stats in only 6 out of 13 games for a total of 21 tackles.
He was apparently behind fellow former Husker and younger Jaeden Gould, but they had similar game time/stats.

Does not seem like a successful move.
Our safety play was quite improved this year, but I don’t know if he could have contributed had he bought into the new staff.

while talking Syracuse….
Husker portal target LB Stefon Thompson was listed as backup but recorded 53 tackles this year with 4 TFL 1.5 sacks
Didn’t really play in 2022 (injury I think)
2021: RS Frosh = 79 tackles 7.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks
2020: true Frosh = 36 tackles 7.5 TFL and 3 sacks
All that tells me is that Tony White is the man.

I’ve seen several mentions about following up w/ how transfers pan out and saw Myles Farmer is leaving Syracuse to the portal again.

He went from being a starter on a bad defense, but recording 73 total tackles, to being an apparent 3rd string at Syracuse where he recorded stats in only 6 out of 13 games for a total of 21 tackles.
He was apparently behind fellow former Husker and younger Jaeden Gould, but they had similar game time/stats.

Does not seem like a successful move.
Our safety play was quite improved this year, but I don’t know if he could have contributed had he bought into the new staff.

while talking Syracuse….
Husker portal target LB Stefon Thompson was listed as backup but recorded 53 tackles this year with 4 TFL 1.5 sacks
Didn’t really play in 2022 (injury I think)
2021: RS Frosh = 79 tackles 7.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks
2020: true Frosh = 36 tackles 7.5 TFL and 3 sacks
All that tells me is that Tony White is the man.
I think Farmer is a good example of not fitting a new cultural and being encouraged to leave.

Yes. Not because this is the world of college athletics I wanted, but because it's what everybody else wanted. The only way to do it is make the colleges and the players live up to their obligations.

Farmer actually had a good attitude, and was a well spoken young man during some seasons where getting up in front of the press sucked (Pick most of the last 20). However, he simply wasn't a good defender. He had DB skills, entirely minus that dawg. I remember when he had an opportunity to tackle a 17 year old Braelon Allen on a long run at Wisconsin, but trailed off after obviously making a business decision. These kids are what they are. Wynn, Farmer, Ronald Delancy. Who have we had that has transferred out to become a D-1 FBS impact player since Wandale and McCaffery? Maybe Jordon Riley and Casey Rogers to some degree, but most transfers out have played less because they played for us on such poop units.

If you're a middle of the pack player, entering the transfer portal is hardly ever worth it. Still won't stop them though. There's the perception that the grass is always greener.

If you're a middle of the pack player, entering the transfer portal is hardly ever worth it. Still won't stop them though. There's the perception that the grass is always greener.

Yep, and a lot of them think it’s not them who’s the average talent, it’s their system/coach/team/school/society/whatever that’s holding them back

Reactions: oldjar07
Farmer actually had a good attitude, and was a well spoken young man during some seasons where getting up in front of the press sucked (Pick most of the last 20). However, he simply wasn't a good defender. He had DB skills, entirely minus that dawg. I remember when he had an opportunity to tackle a 17 year old Braelon Allen on a long run at Wisconsin, but trailed off after obviously making a business decision.
Farmer got a lot of mileage from getting a couple interceptions or picking up a fumble. But he was and still is slow. He took bad angles. Couldn't come up and tackle anyone in the open field. That was one big improvement in this year's defense that often gets overlooked. We had kids in the secondary-- Sanford, for instance-- who played this year because they weren't afraid to stick their nose in there and tackle somebody. They could bring someone down in the open field. That's something Farmer has been horrible at.

Reactions: bob5150
It's a shame really. If these kids, given they have the talent, would just buckle down and give the effort, they'll maximize their experience. Starter or All American? Probably not but they'll forever be associated with a program. I think they'd be better people for it.

Reactions: Antwill
It's a shame really. If these kids, given they have the talent, would just buckle down and give the effort, they'll maximize their experience. Starter or All American? Probably not but they'll forever be associated with a program. I think they'd be better people for it.
I do agree with you here.
I suspect their education takes a hit at every transfer as well, but what the hell, they are not playing school any longer.

Each transfer is a step down.

Yeah, it's kinda like a necessary market adjustment based on the player's talent. Would be interesting to see where the line is for the number of transfer players who make downward moves, lateral moves, or upward moves when they transfer. Kind of impossible to measure as a lot of the them would be very subjective.

Farmer lands at App State out of the transfer portal:

Bet on yourself! That’s one of the go to phrases athletes use these days. And Farmer is doing that again! He bet on yourself after being told to compete for his starting job at NU and it landed him a backup spot in upstate NY. Now he's betting on himself again & parlaying that and heading to the Appalachians!

Bet on yourself! That’s one of the go to phrases athletes use these days. And Farmer is doing that again! He bet on yourself after being told to compete for his starting job at NU and it landed him a backup spot in upstate NY. Now he's betting on himself again & parlaying that and heading to the Appalachians!
He was suspended by Rhule right before fall camp, transferring was probably a good idea, it just didn’t work out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT