ADVERTISEMENT

Vedral in Portal?

It would be really strange to see Vedral leading a team against Nebraska next season.
The headline seemed odd to me, but then the article actually made a pretty good case for him ending up at Rutgers. Fairly highly ranked school, chance to stay in the Big Ten and a decent shot at playing time.

So which of the 2017 losses turn into wins if Banker is still the DC? Certainly not Northern Illinois, and I don't think Banker prevents NU from throwing four interceptions at Oregon, two of which were turned directly into TDs. I don't see the Huskers beating Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State or Iowa that year with Banker on the sideline, and I don't think backup QB Patrick O'Brien leads them to victory at Minnesota. The defense was pretty bad against Northwestern, so maybe Banker flips that one into the win column - but he would have had to overcome three INTs to get there.

Sorry but the Poor-Smilin-Mike-lost-his-job-because-Shawn-Eichorst-forced-him-to-hire-Diaco narrative has never held any water. As awful as Diaco was, NU's lopsided losses to good teams were going to happen anyway and their losses to bad teams were more attributable to turnovers than to bad defensive schemes.

See you cant do that. You have no idea what would have happened. If Banker doesn't get fired, everything from that point on is different, and nothing more than a guess.

It's like saying if I had a different teacher for Government my junior year, then I would have been Mayor, but since I had a lame ass, I became a teacher.

See you cant do that. You have no idea what would have happened. If Banker doesn't get fired, everything from that point on is different, and nothing more than a guess.

It's like saying if I had a different teacher for Government my junior year, then I would have been Mayor, but since I had a lame ass, I became a teacher.
Exactly why I premised my comment with IMO. In my opinion he was a much better DC than Diaco and it would have led to more wins. I can't be proven wrong.Winking

Of course it's nothing more than a guess - just like the Firing-Banker-was-Riley's-Downfall manifesto that gets posted here over and over and over and over and over again, as if it's some sort of indisputable fact.

Of course it's nothing more than a guess - just like the Firing-Banker-was-Riley's-Downfall manifesto that gets posted here over and over and over and over and over again, as if it's some sort of indisputable fact.
I mean it’s pretty indisputable that the defense was much worse under Diaco than Banker. I think is should also be obvious that having a much worse defense caused the team to lose more games and losing games is what got Riley fired, after all.

I mean it’s pretty indisputable that the defense was much worse under Diaco than Banker. I think is should also be obvious that having a much worse defense caused the team to lose more games and losing games is what got Riley fired, after all.
Okay then, like I asked above, which of the losses in 2017 flip to wins if a different DC is on the sideline?

Okay then, like I asked above, which of the losses in 2017 flip to wins if a different DC is on the sideline?
Hard to say how different games could have been with a defense that had a pulse. We gave up 30+ 8 times and 50+ 4 times.

I did think anyone is saying they wish Riley was still here, but there really is no denying Diaco accelerated his downfall, he might not of started the fire, but he threw gasoline all over it. No way to even be competitive with a defense that incompetent and they (the defense) were solid the year before.

Hard to say how different games could have been with a defense that had a pulse. We gave up 30+ 8 times and 50+ 4 times.

I did think anyone is saying they wish Riley was still here, but there really is no denying Diaco accelerated his downfall, he might not of started the fire, but he threw gasoline all over it. No way to even be competitive with a defense that incompetent and they (the defense) were solid the year before.
Sure there is. I just did.

And in case anyone is wondering, I would find this narrative just as flimsy if it was made in defense of Scott Frost. Own your decisions and own your record.

Doesn't make sense that you would let the QB with the most experience and leadership leave your program, so my interpretation is that there are problems in Lincoln. I'm going to guess we take a step back this year.

Lol. No words. Just lol.
it's because you and a lot of other people think you can somehow compare the two, when it was pretty clear to me the way the offense ran under Vedral, that HAD he been named the starter last year, I think we would have won more games than the loser who actually did start.

See, you have 2 young guys with little experience, but who might be pretty good. Then you have a guy who's well respected and understands the offense, in Vedral. It would have been wise to keep him around.

Then you have the Mr. Bigshot loser QB, who is actually the worst QB on the team. And he will prob start, and if he does, it's going to implode once again..

It almost feels like the Mike Riley days with you and some others.. who again have it all wrong.

Doesn't make sense that you would let the QB with the most experience and leadership leave your program, so my interpretation is that there are problems in Lincoln. I'm going to guess we take a step back this year.
What do you mean let him go? What are they supposed to do, chain him up in Memorial Stadium? The kid wants to play and is buried on the depth chart. It makes perfect sense for him to leave and try to find somewhere he can play. Don’t be dramatic

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
it's because you and a lot of other people think you can somehow compare the two, when it was pretty clear to me the way the offense ran under Vedral, that HAD he been named the starter last year, I think we would have won more games than the loser who actually did start.

See, you have 2 young guys with little experience, but who might be pretty good. Then you have a guy who's well respected and understands the offense, in Vedral. It would have been wise to keep him around.

Then you have the Mr. Bigshot loser QB, who is actually the worst QB on the team. And he will prob start, and if he does, it's going to implode once again..

It almost feels like the Mike Riley days with you and some others.. who again have it all wrong.
Key words in your missive here... “to me”.

It was pretty clear to you, but not to Frost or Verduzco or Walters or just about everyone in this board. AM struggled big time last year, but that doesn’t make Vedral better.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
What do you mean let him go? What are they supposed to do, chain him up in Memorial Stadium? The kid wants to play and is buried on the depth chart. It makes perfect sense for him to leave and try to find somewhere he can play. Don’t be dramatic
Or, Vedral came here knowing what his place and role would be. He see's it's a shit show again, and doesn't want to go through that again.

Key words in your missive here... “to me”.

It was pretty clear to you, but not to Frost or Verduzco or Walters or just about everyone in this board. AM struggled big time last year, but that doesn’t make Vedral better.
Well those guys haven't produced squat here. None of them.

What’s with the personal attack on Martinez? I’m not a big fan of his, but I would never call him a loser.

Tempo!!

I get your critique on Martinez. I am on board with you that he, up to this point, hasn’t lead the offense as a Captain of this football team leadership wise. But I can’t get behind your endorsement of Vedral. It seems to be a whole separate deal altogether for me.
Vedral, his first year at NU, I used to call him the serial (drive) killer. Not much better this past year as a part time starter. Good runner, average passer at best. The offense was such a mess this year around the QB position.
I wish him success at Rutgers. He was not the answer last year and he saw that he isn’t part of the equation moving forward. Nebraska filled his position room with players that are more dynamic than he is.
Leadership wise is a whole other story and discussion altogether. Most of the team is younger than Vedral, right? The majority of the team likely is either in the camp of the starter AM or the redshirt freshman McCaffrey. The Head Coach had Vedral on par with McCaffrey depth chart wise. His teammates likely respected him, sure. But I’m not buying him as a dynamic leader either considering the makeup of the team and his spot on the depth chart

QB experience: practices attended or games started/minutes played?

who's to say!? we'll all forever be flummoxed by this mystery.

go ahead and add vedral to the list of those who've produced nothing during their time at NU. he's a quitter who will soon be forgotten. call me callous if you'd like, but in my book a well respected leader doesn't quit on his teammates and seek greener pastures. vedral's now done that twice.

and, let's remove Frost from that list while we're at it. regardless of what he does here as head coach, he will always have his '97 championship ring.

take your sore backside & revisionist history elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don’t think any coach can survive five straight losing seasons. And I don’t think Frost will either. I just hope we don’t have to have to worry about that.
He better start coaching like winning is the goal here then. Play the best players (that includes playing someone other that AM at QB) and admit you aren't good at calling the plays.

He better start coaching like winning is the goal here then. Play the best players (that includes playing someone other that AM at QB) and admit you aren't good at calling the plays.

I really do not understand this narrative. You don't think winning is the goal? I guarantee it is for every single college football coach. And what is all this play the best players stuff? You think we have better players standing on the sideline and the staff just decides not to play them, for some mystery reason? And, yes, this includes AM. They have recruited all the QB's on the team, if someone was better they would play them. But last year, no one else was better and all three were injured.

We will have to disagree about Frost as a play caller. I think he is an exceptional play caller and that has been proven time and again. I think I will give last years poor offense a pass, as we had alot working against us and play calling is the least of our offensive problems. I do think having your head coach so wrapped up in one part of the game, can be a problem, but I don't think Frost is a bad play caller.

Totally agree. I think secretly Frost loves losing which is why he played AM last year.

I believe Frost took this job to sink Nebraska once and for all. He remembers being booed by the fans and has never forgotten it.

Think of it... take Nebraska for $35 mill, crash the whole thing to the bottom of the ocean... I’ve heard that Scott is vindictive and petty and will once and for all put an end to the program.

Or maybe, he wants what’s best for the university and IS playing the best players, and does want to win more than you or I can comprehend, and this losing is driving him nuts.

I’m with headcard on this one... this narrative is mind-numbing...

Totally agree. I think secretly Frost loves losing which is why he played AM last year.

I believe Frost took this job to sink Nebraska once and for all. He remembers being booed by the fans and has never forgotten it.

Think of it... take Nebraska for $35 mill, crash the whole thing to the bottom of the ocean... I’ve heard that Scott is vindictive and petty and will once and for all put an end to the program.

Or maybe, he wants what’s best for the university and IS playing the best players, and does want to win more than you or I can comprehend, and this losing is driving him nuts.

I’m with headcard on this one... this narrative is mind-numbing...
I'm also amazed that nobody who covers Nebraska football, or Big Ten football, or college football in general, watched the Minnesota game and thought it was time for NU to change starting quarterbacks. Dozens of people who make their living covering football, and yet not a single one of them could see that an offense that was shut out for 3+ quarters before scratching out a garbage time TD was running so much more smoothly than it had all season.

Vedral had the benefit of the unknown. He looked great running the ball but that would have only gone so far as teams adjusted and prepared more for his game. His throwing motion also left a lot to be desired. If LM didn't have his redshirt it would have been a different story when AM was struggling/injured. Also, what makes you think Vedral was a better leader than anyone else?

Reactions: BroskiRed
go ahead and add vedral to the list of those who've produced nothing during their time at NU. he's a quitter who will soon be forgotten. call me callous if you'd like, but in my book a well respected leader doesn't quit on his teammates and seek greener pastures. vedral's now done that twice.

and, let's remove Frost from that list while we're at it. regardless of what he does here as head coach, he will always have his '97 championship ring.

take your sore backside & revisionist history elsewhere.
That is precisely why this is so troubling, as he was loyal to Frost.
If you want to defend Scott and his ring, by all means, you are free to, but as a coach here, he's lost a big chunk of respect for me. No coach has gone this poorly in the first 2 years since how far back? All you guys defending him are better fans I guess.
There is no revisionist history pal.. I see it for what it is, but sorry to upset those with the rose colored glasses all the time.
If mr big shot is the QB again, prepare for another horrendous season.. but hey, at least Scott will be loyal to some kid whom he had to promise the starting job to, in order to get him here. He might just put Nebraska through a 4 year losing record period.. I hope it's worth it to Coach. Doesn't seem right to me.

If you want to defend Scott and his ring, by all means, you are free to, but as a coach here, he's lost a big chunk of respect for me. No coach has gone this poorly in the first 2 years since how far back? All you guys defending him are better fans I guess.
There is no revisionist history pal.. I see it for what it is, but sorry to upset those with the rose colored glasses all the time.
If mr big shot is the QB again, prepare for another horrendous season.. but hey, at least Scott will be loyal to some kid whom he had to promise the starting job to, in order to get him here. He might just put Nebraska through a 4 year losing record period.. I hope it's worth it to Coach. Doesn't seem right to me.
Have you tried telling him he’s lost your respect? I bet it really bothers him and he’ll play fair with the QBs moving forward.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
That is silly. He recruited all the QB's here.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
nobody has produced squat so should we replace everybody with a white boy from small town nebraska who the fans will take a liken' to....OBJECTIVELY Vedral had a very small playbook and was used primarily in a qb sneak situation.,

nobody has produced squat so should we replace everybody with a white boy from small town nebraska who the fans will take a liken' to....OBJECTIVELY Vedral had a very small playbook and was used primarily in a qb sneak situation.,
Judging by the NFL draft the last thing we need are more walkons. What we do need are 4 and 5 star players.

Reactions: headcard
Judging by the NFL draft the last thing we need are more walkons. What we do need are 4 and 5 star players.
We have had the 4*, but some how they haven't helped us much. I do agree we need less walkons. Get the squad down to a manageable size and focus on coaching them up. 144 guys is six teams of 22 plus twelve specialist. Efficiency please.

I'm also amazed that nobody who covers Nebraska football, or Big Ten football, or college football in general, watched the Minnesota game and thought it was time for NU to change starting quarterbacks. Dozens of people who make their living covering football, and yet not a single one of them could see that an offense that was shut out for 3+ quarters before scratching out a garbage time TD was running so much more smoothly than it had all season.

Problem was they played the wrong "Different QB" in the Minnesota game. In additon the conditions were terrible for a spread offense. The drives that were put together in the first half were full of penelties and mistakes. Overall the team still plays like it's Frosts first year, he coachs like he not sure who or what scheme is in mind for the offense, MN game was a fine example of that.

I remember the day when Osborne ran an offense with a clear identity, where play calling took advantage of defensive weakness. Play calling setup up plays that took advantage of over pursuit or loading the box. In addition when Defensive adjustments came Osborne would exploit those changes.

I see none of these key elements today in Scott's Offense. The talent on defense in the Big 10 is more than he can deal with his scheme.

Problem was they played the wrong "Different QB" in the Minnesota game. In additon the conditions were terrible for a spread offense. The drives that were put together in the first half were full of penelties and mistakes. Overall the team still plays like it's Frosts first year, he coachs like he not sure who or what scheme is in mind for the offense, MN game was a fine example of that.

I remember the day when Osborne ran an offense with a clear identity, where play calling took advantage of defensive weakness. Play calling setup up plays that took advantage of over pursuit or loading the box. In addition when Defensive adjustments came Osborne would exploit those changes.

I see none of these key elements today in Scott's Offense. The talent on defense in the Big 10 is more than he can deal with his scheme.

I remember when people wanted to fire Coach Osborne because he ran an offense that would never get his teams past more talented teams like OU or Miami and he just didn't understand game management like Coach Devaney did.

Comparing the last half of Osborne’s career (remember, Osborne is one of the best college football coaches of all time) to the 4th year of Frost’s Football career seems maybe a tad unfair...

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

If you don’t see any of those elements, it’s because you aren’t trying to. The offense has a clear identity, you just might not like it. It also does take advantage of over pursuit, loading the box, etc. Do you recall all the big runs Ozigbo had on bash? Mills had them late last year too, btw. This offense has put up huge numbers at different places, just because it isn’t exactly what TO ran, doesn’t mean it can’t be successful here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT