ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh...some chatter going on...

Double Don for fast food burger (although i do prefer the runza burger to the runza itself).

GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
Hmmmm...methinks he went the Bob Diaco school of recipe creation!

JK Frost Troll. There's a few good ideas in there.
LoL it is what it is. Instructions, bah who needs them. I can generalize

2 Good Sized Heads of Cabbage
3 Med-Lg Yellow Onions
3LB Beef
36-72 Bag Frozen Dinner rolls or Your Fav Bread Recipe.

Chop onion and cabbage, discard hearts and outer nasty layers. Brown beef Combine in large Crock pot or pasta pan. Cook on LOW while lightly seasoning with salt and pepper to taste over the hours it is cooking until it tastes perfect. Once the cabbage and onion has cooked down it will look like runza filling and taste like runza filling. Drain the filling of excess moisture i use a colander , if you dont it will leak out of the breading while baking and stick to the baking sheet something fierce. Let the mix cool.

Bread you can do by complete scratch or you can use frozen dinner rolls, they have to be the dough ones that need to rise before baking. Let dough rise portion out. If you are using frozen dinner rolls let them rize and use 2 per runza.

Roll out with flour until it is about 12" in diameter put a good amt of filling in, button up using a basting brush with water to wet edges to seal. use a dry basting brush to remove any excess flour.

i get about 6 runzas per baking sheet can fit 2 sheets in the oven bake at 350 til the tops get a little golden.

that is about as specific as i can be

EDIT: by the way frozen dinner rolls take hours to rise, so get them on some sheets of wax paper rising a couple hours before you start slow cooking the stuffing down. Or put filling in fridge until the dough has thawed and risen properly.

Reactions: pahusker139
So I click on this 3 page thread expecting some juicy coaching info and instead am met with a bunch of people talking about how good Five Guys is.
Wtf is wrong with you people?? Five Guys is terrible!! Grade school cafeteria hamburgers that have been sitting in the steamer pan for 6 hours are better than Five Guys.

3 Med-Lg Yellow Onions
3LB Beef

Chop onion and cabbage, discard hearts and outer nasty layers. Brown beef Combine in large Crock pot or pasta pan. Cook on LOW while lightly seasoning with salt and pepper to taste over the hours it is cooking until it tastes perfect. Once the cabbage and onion has cooked down it will look like runza filling and taste like runza filling. Drain the filling of excess moisture i use a colander , if you dont it will leak out of the breading while baking and stick to the baking sheet something fierce. Let the mix cool.

Bread you can do by complete scratch or you can use frozen dinner rolls, they have to be the dough ones that need to rise before baking. Let dough rise portion out. If you are using frozen dinner rolls let them rize and use 2 per runza.

Roll out with flour until it is about 12" in diameter put a good amt of filling in, button up using a basting brush with water to wet edges to seal. use a dry basting brush to remove any excess flour.

i get about 6 runzas per baking sheet can fit 2 sheets in the oven bake at 350 til the tops get a little golden.

EDIT: by the way frozen dinner rolls take hours to rise, so get them on some sheets of wax paper rising a couple hours before you start slow cooking the stuffing down. Or put filling in fridge until the dough has thawed and risen properly.
Can we get pictures with this

Reactions: FrostTroll
Can we get pictures with this
NO! you think im one of them people who takes pictures of their food or somethin? LMFAO!! and unfortunately i ate the last i had in the deep freeze yesterday. I freeze a bunch and eat them in the weeks after going on a 3 day binge of nothing but runza for every meal after i make them :D only pictures i would be able to produce "containing" runza would be #2's and pretty sure you dont wana see that haha

Reactions: CameronKrazie86

3 Med-Lg Yellow Onions
3LB Beef

Where is the sauerkraut?

I'm a member of a a couple BBQ / Cooking sites and I made these based on a Bierocks / Runzas recipe from an Internet friend known as Cowgirl.

Here is her recipe for the dough that I used.

1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 pkg of yeast
2 TBs oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups of flour (more if needed)
dissolve the yeast in water, add the sugar, oil and then the salt.. stir in 2 cups of flour and add enough of the remaining flour to make the dough come together. Knead 5 minutes, cover and rest for 1 hour.

Here is the recipe I used for filling which is mostly hers but slightly different.

1 large Vidalia onion. (Slivered)
2 lbs of hamburger
1/2 large head of cabbage (finely chopped)
1 tsp. of salt
2 tbsp. for fresh ground black pepper.
2 cloves of miced garlic.

Here's a link to a step by step thread I posted on how to make them.
https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23...-or-runzas-or-whatever-you-want-to-call-them/

And a link to the cook I pictured above.
https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/36732-dutch-oven-bierocks-aka-runza/?tab=comments#comment-474530

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I'm a member of a a couple BBQ / Cooking sites and I made these based on a Bierocks / Runzas recipe from an Internet friend known as Cowgirl.

Here is her recipe for the dough that I used.

1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 pkg of yeast
2 TBs oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups of flour (more if needed)
dissolve the yeast in water, add the sugar, oil and then the salt.. stir in 2 cups of flour and add enough of the remaining flour to make the dough come together. Knead 5 minutes, cover and rest for 1 hour.

Here is the recipe I used for filling which is mostly hers but slightly different.

1 large Vidalia onion. (Slivered)
2 lbs of hamburger
1/2 large head of cabbage (finely chopped)
1 tsp. of salt
2 tbsp. for fresh ground black pepper.
2 cloves of miced garlic.

Here's a link to a step by step thread I posted on how to make them.
https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23...-or-runzas-or-whatever-you-want-to-call-them/

And a link to the cook I pictured above.
https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/36732-dutch-oven-bierocks-aka-runza/?tab=comments#comment-474530
I have dabbled putting garlic in them in the past, just isnt right, they were not horrible but werent "fantastic" same with different dough ive tried biscuit dough it wasnt bad but not great, one day going to try sour dough but making it is such a pita it adds a whole new element to making runzas lol

Looks great DerHusker. I really need to try that. Here are some I made last night after the game.
23231289_10155910550329485_3877142751658936232_n.jpg

Can you, or can you not put some sauerkraut in a Runza?

This shit shouldn't be this complicated.

Reactions: SOHusker11
By the way, I wore a Michael Jackson jacket at my first game.
Ate 2 and 1/4 Runzas and threw up on myself and some poor people in front me.

I haven't had one since.

Reactions: HuskerDana
By the way, I wore a Michael Jackson jacket at my first game.
Ate 2 and 1/4 Runzas and threw up on myself and some poor people in front me.

I haven't had one since.

Did you eat the Runza with the bare hand or the sequined glove hand?

Reactions: c2o and timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT