ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas is Co-OC

The fact that Rhule has moved Satterfield twice to accommodate Thomas tells me all I need to know. I doubt Satterfield feels he is better or else he wouldn't make the move.
Thomas has more experience coaching QBs and has coached guys who operate at a high level. The offense to be coordinated is the offense Rhule wants and the approach that will be collaborative. Is Thomas a better play collar than Satterfield? idk.

Those are scenarios where you would need to choose. I love when people try so hard to not answer questions.

It's like if I told you to choose between 2 beers you don't like. You really couldn't ever decide. Ever? Even if Jeff Bezos gave you a million dollars to pick? C'mon man. What are you so scared of?
your alcohol analogy is off.

you're showing me 2 drunk people and asking which one i'd rather have drive my child home. one of them had 20 beers, the other had 19 beers but he's been drinking a long time so he's really experienced at drunk driving. keeps losing his job because of it, but he's still been doing it for a long time.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Year over year comparison for Baylor with Thomas as a Co-coordinator

2017 (1-11)
24.3 PPG
414 rush attempts 1407 yards 10 TD
462 pass attempts 3452 yards 23 TD 58.2% completion %
14 INT
11 Fumbles lost
Def 35.9 PPG allowed

2018 (7-6)
29.5 PPG
502 rush attempts 2198 yards 25 TD
486 pass attempts 3770 yards 22 TD 60.9% completion %
13 INT
6 Fumbles lost
Def 31.7 PPG allowed

2019 (11-3)
33.6 PPG
504 rush attempts 2330 yards 35 TD
444 pass attempts 3571 yards 24 TD 62.4% completion %
8 INT
11 Fumbles lost
Def 19.8 PPG allowed

Comparing what a coach does nationally when the team is 1-11 and 7-6 is a lazy comparison in my opinion.
In my opinion, how a coach improves year over year is a better comparison. When you look at the record, the increase rush attempts per game, the increase in completion percentage, the increase in rushing TDs and the decrease in points allowed per game it clearly shows improvement in several categories.

Because he is coming to Nebraska where the win loss record is higher than it was at Baylor when he started and the defense is playing at a higher level than the Baylor defense was in 2017 the improvement the overall floor is higher at Nebraska than it was at Baylor. IF he is able to show the same level of increase in production or simply improve year over year as they did at Baylor, Nebraska will be at a better spot in year 1 and year 2 than Baylor was in those same years.

Since he hasn't coached a practice at Nebraska, obviously everything is speculation, but to attempt to make this a bad hire based on some arbitrary ranking of national stats is short-sighted and, again, lazy.

2017 (1-11)
24.3 PPG
14 INT
11 Fumbles lost
Def 35.9 PPG allowed

2018 (7-6)
29.5 PPG
13 INT
6 Fumbles lost
Def 31.7 PPG allowed

2019 (11-3)
33.6 PPG
8 INT
11 Fumbles lost
Def 19.8 PPG allowed

Comparing what a coach does nationally when the team is 1-11 and 7-6 is a lazy comparison in my opinion.
In my opinion, how a coach improves year over year is a better comparison. When you look at the record, the increase rush attempts per game, the increase in completion percentage, the increase in rushing TDs and the decrease in points allowed per game it clearly shows improvement in several categories.

Because he is coming to Nebraska where the win loss record is higher than it was at Baylor when he started and the defense is playing at a higher level than the Baylor defense was in 2017 the improvement the overall floor is higher at Nebraska than it was at Baylor. IF he is able to show the same level of increase in production or simply improve year over year as they did at Baylor, Nebraska will be at a better spot in year 1 and year 2 than Baylor was in those same years.

Since he hasn't coached a practice at Nebraska, obviously everything is speculation, but to attempt to make this a bad hire based on some arbitrary ranking of national stats is short-sighted and, again, lazy.
> don't be lazy
> hyper focus on 1 of his 4 coaching stints over the last 5 years

pick one

• Haha

2017 (1-11)
24.3 PPG
14 INT
11 Fumbles lost
Def 35.9 PPG allowed

2018 (7-6)
29.5 PPG
13 INT
6 Fumbles lost
Def 31.7 PPG allowed

2019 (11-3)
33.6 PPG
8 INT
11 Fumbles lost
Def 19.8 PPG allowed

I’m thinking that for some, there is a list of shiny magic coaches out there and if the coach their team hired isn’t on that list, he sucks. It’s not much more complicated than that.

I’m thinking that for some, there is a list of shiny magic coaches out there and if the coach their team hired isn’t on that list, he sucks. It’s not much more complicated than that.
Satterfield has coached WR, QB, TE, RB, OL (asst.) and been an OC and passing game coordinator. Dude will probably be a head coach soon.

your alcohol analogy is off.

you're showing me 2 drunk people and asking which one i'd rather have drive my child home. one of them had 20 beers, the other had 19 beers but he's been drinking a long time so he's really experienced at drunk driving. keeps losing his job because of it, but he's still been doing it for a long time.
It isn't an analogy. I'm using an example to show how stubborn you are being to dodge the question of who is a better qb coach. You are trying to claim you can't possibly say who is the best. I'm calling bullshit on your, well, bullshit. If someone gave you a million dollars to pick one of the 2 for a qb coach, you couldn't or wouldn't do it? The level of dodging you are doing is reaching epic proportions.

I would hate to go to a new restaurant with you. How would you ever decide what to eat because you are so indecisive?

> don't be lazy
> hyper focus on 1 of his 4 coaching stints over the last 5 years

pick one
I figured picking a like sample would be the most accurate comparison. P5 school, coaching as a co-coordinator for Matt Rhule.

Not sure what purpose comparing an offensive assistant at Pittsburgh or a 1 year stint at Arizona St with a lame duck coach and an interim coach would serve. His job as QB coach with the Falcons is also not comparable. He wasn’t calling plays or anything. He was helping Matt Ryan on fundamentals and reads. His stint as a 26 year old first time OC for a DII school probably not indicative of what he would do now. The UNLV job was started during the peak of Covid with a HC that was in over his head, who after he was fired didn’t even get a job anywhere for the 2023 season. Now is the OC for an Arizona St squad that isn’t very good.

It isn't an analogy. I'm using an example to show how stubborn you are being to dodge the question of who is a better qb coach. You are trying to claim you can't possibly say who is the best. I'm calling bullshit on your, well, bullshit. If someone gave you a million dollars to pick one of the 2 for a qb coach, you couldn't or wouldn't do it? The level of dodging you are doing is reaching epic proportions.

I would hate to go to a new restaurant with you. How would you ever decide what to eat because you are so indecisive?
no clue what you're yapping about now

I don't think Nebraska will finish in the top 50 for scoring offense. Do you agree or disagree?

You don’t make predictions on firing a coach for W/L record without knowing about things like injuries. Ireland sealed Frost’s fate IMO. At that point he had to win to save his job and he didn’t.
Lol not to side with ding doing, but Ireland was simply the final validation for those of us who knew Frost was cooked by year two.

Georgia southern was simply the final nail.

Reactions: thall__
I'm gonna say Thomas so you'll move on.

now, Huskers won't be in the top 50 in scoring offense. agree or disagree?
Who cares? If Nebraska has similar defensive numbers as last year, they won't need a top 50 offense. A top 85 offense and 25 ppg will be sufficient to win more than they lose, right? Heck technically, if the defense holds every opponent to 15 ppg, they could win 12 games, if they score 25 against every opponent.

Who cares? If Nebraska has similar defensive numbers as last year, they won't need a top 50 offense. A top 85 offense and 25 ppg will be sufficient to win more than they lose, right? Heck technically, if the defense holds every opponent to 15 ppg, they could win 12 games, if they score 25 against every opponent.
highlighting the operative word here, which has coincidentally been the most powerful word in the Husker fan lexicon.

if'd our way into convincing ourselves that 3-9 was a good record.

things either happen or they don't, and so many of the fans here are content to "if, then" themselves into oblivion then get hyped up over hiring a literal who.

it's your right to be excited, i'm just trying to save y'all the embarrassment and stress that follows lying to yourself.

Reactions: oldjar07
I'm gonna say Thomas so you'll move on.

now, Huskers won't be in the top 50 in scoring offense. agree or disagree?
Probably agree. Let me look at the numbers of what that looks like and our schedule another time.

Glad you came around on Thomas being an upgrade. Welcome to the club.

highlighting the operative word here, which has coincidentally been the most powerful word in the Husker fan lexicon.

things either happen or they don't, and so many of the fans here are content to "if, then" themselves into oblivion then get hyped up over hiring a literal who.

it's your right to be excited, i'm just trying to save y'all the embarrassment and stress that follows lying to yourself.
Assuming DR doesn't suffer a significant injury prior to the start of the season, I would say somewhere in the 60th to 70th range.

i could see that happening
Some pretty bad defenses on the schedule but they got new coaches in some capacity (Utep, CU, IU). I think with the addition of a qb like DR we are likely to see larger margin of victories against teams like Utep. I also have to wonder if we just won't see more points in general with teams like OSU and USC. We know going in we aren't winning those games 10-7 so no real point in slogging it out.

2nd year jump should also happen with the young skill players.

But you are essentially doing the same thing, just on the opposite side of the discussion. As I stated he hasn't coached a practice yet, and you have already stated the hire is a failure based on nothing but IF he doesn't repeat the level of success year over year they had at Baylor or IF he matches the poor results of a bottom of the barrell MWC team.

But you are essentially doing the same thing, just on the opposite side of the discussion. As I stated he hasn't coached a practice yet, and you have already stated the hire is a failure based on nothing but IF he doesn't repeat the level of success year over year they had at Baylor or IF he matches the poor results of a bottom of the barrell MWC team.
Nah, here’s the deal… Thomas’s suckage follows him from year to year. He’s gonna suck again. Tony White’s successful defenses from year to year means nothing, and it’s a huge IF whether he can duplicate that.

Don’t you see?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT