ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas is Co-OC

Per Wikipedia, Thomas announced as a Steelers hire on April 5. Peetz turned NU down in December of 2022. NU then The NU staff was than finalized with the hire of Bob Wager as TE coach and Satt as OC/QB coach. I would think that Thomas had to be on their radar at that point, but either they just committed to using Satt to coach QBs or Thomas wasn't interested at the time. The ASU coaching staff was in flux at that time, so who knows what was going on.
But we still don't know how much discussion was going on at what time behind the scenes. Not that it matters much now but it's still possible that Thomas had been in discussion with the Steelers way back much earlier.

Regardless it'll be interesting to see how things work out this coming fall with the coaching change and the new players.

Don't know how anyone doesn't love this. At worst we have a legit qb coach who can help Satterfield design and call plays.

I personally think the guy has a pretty legit resume as an OC and qb coach. Really nice blend of NFL and college experience. Successful every stop except for maybe ASU but looks like ASU's scoring went down after he left.

Kind of curious why we didn't hire the first time around.

The future looks very bright. Offense should be on it's way.
look at his total offense rankings as offensive coordinator:

2017 - 98th
2018 - 63th
2019 - 27th
2020 - 120th
2021 - 112th
2022 - 79th

that's an average of the 83rd overall offense. for context, that would be sandwiched between Illinois and Middle Tennessee State this year. remove his worst and best season, and he's at an average of 88th.

i hope he works out and improves the team in a tangible way, but when people show you who they are, you'd be wise to believe them rather than perform mental gymnastics as to why they're something different.

Reactions: oldjar07
In the end it just matters who is calling the plays.

And in the end, the better players you have the easier it is to call plays.
QB especially. They could also change play callers in game and none of us would know.

2017 - 98th
2018 - 63th
2019 - 27th
2020 - 120th
2021 - 112th
2022 - 79th

that's an average of the 83rd overall offense. for context, that would be sandwiched between Illinois and Middle Tennessee State this year. remove his worst and best season, and he's at an average of 88th.

i hope he works out and improves the team in a tangible way, but when people show you who they are, you'd be wise to believe them rather than perform mental gymnastics as to why they're something different.
You forgot 2016 Temple.... 43rd in scoring.

Look at the Baylor trend in scoring: 2017 - 98th 2018: 63rd 2019: 27th

Look at ASU 2022 compared to 2023. They dropped 45 spots in PPG.

UNLV did not seem to go great after looking at it closer.

I see no downside. I don't love Satterfield and we needed a legit qb coach. Adding a co-oc and legit qb coach has no downside.

You forgot 2016 Temple.... 43rd in scoring.

Look at the Baylor trend in scoring: 2017 - 98th 2018: 63rd 2019: 27th

Look at ASU 2022 compared to 2023. They dropped 45 spots in PPG.

UNLV did not seem to go great after looking at it closer.

I see no downside. I don't love Satterfield and we needed a legit qb coach. Adding a co-oc and legit qb coach has no downside.
going from OC at a P5 school that competed for a Conference Championship to UNLV is an indicator that he wasn't thought super highly of. similar to Shawn Watson.

do you have any metrics that QBs performed demonstrably better while he was there vs not there? I'm not arguing, it's a genuine question.

going from OC at a P5 school that competed for a Conference Championship to UNLV is an indicator that he wasn't thought super highly of. similar to Shawn Watson.

do you have any metrics that QBs performed demonstrably better while he was there vs not there? I'm not arguing, it's a genuine question.
The only way to accurately assess his performance will be what he does with Raiola at Nebraska over the next couple of years. The number of variables make it extremely difficult to determine if past statistics accurately predict anything.

The only way to accurately assess his performance will be what he does with Raiola at Nebraska over the next couple of years. The number of variables make it extremely difficult to determine if past statistics accurately predict anything.
maybe.

i remember making the same case to myself when Mike Riley was hiring all his buddies, or when Frost hired Lubick

Didn't he go from Co-oc at Baylor to OC at UNLV? To OC at ASU? I would say that is a pretty good career path.

No idea on the qb's. His bio to me says it's a huge upgrade to have him as qb coach and Satterfield as TE coach. I just don't see how this isn't a positive all the way around.

Reactions: WHCSC
I realize it's the offseason and there isn't enough to discuss BUT I think trying to project how the team is going to do based on the past gigs of coaches is futile. It's different players and a different mix of coaches playing in a different conference. A more meaningful clue could be the Spring practices but even that isn't a good indicator. How many times have we seen players that are stars in the Spring then completely disappear in the Fall. As much as we hate it, you just have to wait for the real games to be played.

Didn't he go from Co-oc at Baylor to OC at UNLV? To OC at ASU? I would say that is a pretty good career path.

No idea on the qb's. His bio to me says it's a huge upgrade to have him as qb coach and Satterfield as TE coach. I just don't see how this isn't a positive all the way around.
so when Thomas was given the increase in responsibility from Co-OC to OC, his total offense went from 27th to 120th?

he replaced Garin Justice at UNLV (now the AHC at SMU), and UNLV's offense got worse in both total offense and scoring.

then he replaced Zak Hill at ASU, who only resigned because of recruiting violations. ASU's offense got worse under Thomas in both total offense and scoring.

i want him to do well and lead the Huskers to many wins, but the last 20 years of Husker football have made it really hard to deny reality and not take an objective look.

so when Thomas was given the increase in responsibility from Co-OC to OC, his total offense went from 27th to 120th?

he replaced Garin Justice at UNLV (now the AHC at SMU), and UNLV's offense got worse in both total offense and scoring.

then he replaced Zak Hill at ASU, who only resigned because of recruiting violations. ASU's offense got worse under Thomas in both total offense and scoring.

i want him to do well and lead the Huskers to many wins, but the last 20 years of Husker football have made it really hard to deny reality and not take an objective look.
Again. Who were his QBs? You can’t look at those stats and draw any meaningful conclusions. Too many variables outside of his control.

Again. Who were his QBs? You can’t look at those stats and draw any meaningful conclusions. Too many variables outside of his control.
you absolutely can given the wealth of data. hopefully he breaks the trend he's created.

it's the job of the coach to elevate the players. how do you suppose these OC's get head coaching gigs?

• Haha
Reactions: RedMyMind
Yeah, he'll probably make the quarterbacks run scout team defense, you know, like Rhule made Baker Mayfield do.
Your idiot opinions are meaningless
love that you brought your hurt feelings from another thread all the way over here. sorry i made you emotional twice, hope your day gets better buddy!

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

You seem to be using total offense, which is fine. I personally prefer scoring offense, since you need points to win, not yards.

I told you to look at Baylor. Significant improvement in scoring every year. Then he gets a OC job at UNLV. Didn't do great but somehow moved up to ASU, and then was part of the staff firing.

His general career trajectory has been pretty good. And he has a good blend of NFL and college experience. Has won a lot of games with Rhule. I think you are trying a little too hard to paint this as a bad hire. Almost to the point that I'm starting to question if you are really a Husker fan.

you absolutely can given the wealth of data. hopefully he breaks the trend he's created.

it's the job of the coach to elevate the players. how do you suppose these OC's get head coaching gigs?
There are way too many variables in the equation to draw any meaningful statistical conclusions. You’re either trolling or stupid. Which is it?

You seem to be using total offense, which is fine. I personally prefer scoring offense, since you need points to win, not yards.

I told you to look at Baylor. Significant improvement in scoring every year. Then he gets a OC job at UNLV. Didn't do great but somehow moved up to ASU, and then was part of the staff firing.

His general career trajectory has been pretty good. And he has a good blend of NFL and college experience. Has won a lot of games with Rhule. I think you are trying a little too hard to paint this as a bad hire. Almost to the point that I'm starting to question if you are really a Husker fan.
there is generally a strong correlation between the two metrics. you made it out that going from Baylor Co-OC to UNLV OC was a promotion. the obvious reality is it wasn't, Rhule took the other OC to the NFL and no other P5 team wanted Thomas. but sure, lets look at scoring offense.

Baylor averaged 33.6 ppg in 2019, which would've been good for 23rd overall this year, sandwiched in between Alabama and UNLV (lol, they got so much better after he left). that's tremendous, Huskers would be an absolute force to reckon with this year if they put up nearly 34 ppg.

UNLV averaged 17.3 ppg in 2020, which would've been good for 124th this year, sandwiched in between Charlotte and East Carolina. Covid year though, lets throw that one out.

UNLV averaged 20.7 ppg in 2021, which would've been good for 110th this year, sandwiched in between Buffalo and Stanford.

ASU averaged 26.1 ppg in 2022, which would've been good for 75th this year, sandwiched in between NC St and South Carolina.

There are way too many variables in the equation to draw any meaningful statistical conclusions. You’re either trolling or stupid. Which is it?
dingle, i like you so it pains me that i have to do this to you. you've droned on about variables too many times in the past and ended up looking stupid for it. here's one of many examples, you wanting to keep Frost after multiple failure seasons:
The point is, I'm not going to want to fire Frost NEXT year if they have a losing season. There are WAY too many variables to "draw lines in the sand" for a W/L total.

If someone has the title of Co- offensive coordinator someone else has to have the same exact title. Just makes sense IMO that doesn’t mean Glen will call plays . It means he will have a major influence in game planning.
No, it doesn't mean that, and once again, that is not what it is showing in the directory. Co-OC is just a title and doesn't necessarily mean anything in particular.

Reactions: Truewooper
No, it doesn't mean that, and once again, that is not what it is showing in the directory. Co-OC is just a title and doesn't necessarily mean anything in particular.
Someone else mentioned the directory shows Josh Martin is still the tight ends coach. Maybe the directory hasn’t been updated?

there is generally a strong correlation between the two metrics. you made it out that going from Baylor Co-OC to UNLV OC was a promotion. the obvious reality is it wasn't, Rhule took the other OC to the NFL and no other P5 team wanted Thomas. but sure, lets look at scoring offense.

Baylor averaged 33.6 ppg in 2019, which would've been good for 23rd overall this year, sandwiched in between Alabama and UNLV (lol, they got so much better after he left). that's tremendous, Huskers would be an absolute force to reckon with this year if they put up nearly 34 ppg.

UNLV averaged 17.3 ppg in 2020, which would've been good for 124th this year, sandwiched in between Charlotte and East Carolina. Covid year though, lets throw that one out.

UNLV averaged 20.7 ppg in 2021, which would've been good for 110th this year, sandwiched in between Buffalo and Stanford.

ASU averaged 26.1 ppg in 2022, which would've been good for 75th this year, sandwiched in between NC St and South Carolina.
Look at Baylor. Improvement. Every. Single. Year. Up to 27th in scoring. What did they drop too after Rhule and Thomas left? 101st. 74 spots. OMG.

Edit to add Temple: 2015: 61st in scoring. 2016 (Thomas): 43rd. 2017 (Thomas gone): 93rd. Wow!

ASU dropped 45 spots in scoring after he left. Not saying this guy is Andy Reid, just saying it is a clear positive and stats aren't always black and white.

Rhule chose Joe Brady as his OC, didn't he? Probably a bad decision in hindsight, but Brady was a hot commodity at the time.

Why are you trying so hard to turn this into a negative?

Last edited:
love that you brought your hurt feelings from another thread all the way over here. sorry i made you emotional twice, hope your day gets better buddy!
You forgot the part about you being clueless

Look at Baylor. Improvement. Every. Single. Year. Up to 27th in scoring. What did they drop too after Rhule and Thomas left? 101st. 74 spots. OMG.

Edit to add Temple: 2015: 61st in scoring. 2016 (Thomas): 43rd. 2017 (Thomas gone): 93rd. Wow!

ASU dropped 45 spots in scoring after he left. Not saying this guy is Andy Reid, just saying it is a clear positive and stats aren't always black and white.

Rhule chose Joe Brady as his OC, didn't he? Probably a bad decision in hindsight, but Brady was a hot commodity at the time.

Why are you trying so hard to turn this into a negative?
i don't really care how his replacements did if they were both bad to middle of the pack. i'm also more concerned with what he's done lately than I am what he did 4-6 years ago.

i'm not turning anything into a negative, i'm stating reality based on available information. getting hyped up on coaches you had to google is how we always wind up in November and December screaming for them to be fired. would've much preferred Holgorsen, but hope Thomas is legit.

I looked on the ASU website and all it had the scores for 2022 but the rest of the site, i.e. roster, etc just kept buffering over and over. One account I read said he was at ASU in 2022, but you're right he transferred to LSU for the '22 season. .

ASU scored 30+ and 40+ ppg in 5 or 6 games, had several in the 14-18 point range, and in 2 games against Stanford and Oregon State scored only 7 points. So, quite a variance in scoring from game to game. They were 3-9 on the year.

The year prior with Daniels they averaged 28.4 ppgs, so only 2 ppg difference. (Not taking into account, starters lost, schedule and other important factors but they were 8-5.)

There was no attempt to deceive anyone, I just was interested in how many ppg they scored since Thomas was the OC/QB coach, almost the same positions (Co-OC/QB coach) at NU.
Yeah, I did see they were very up and down so it not like we can make any certain predictions on how he will do or what we will look like but I like his overall resume.
I thought you might be taking a shot at him for scoring only 26 with Daniels as a QB. But the 2022 QB had a nice completion percentage and the RB had a good amount of yards.
I hope it translates to our team, and even better since we have a #1 QB

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
You forgot the part about you being clueless
i will be vindicated by time, as per usual. you will be left looking like a bumbling idiot, again. is this you waxing poetic about how great Frost was?

I will continue to be positive in my support as Frost and his staff build their roster and continue to make progress toward being a team that can play with most anyone else. They are doing ti the right way. We're not there yet. We will have more Illinois-type mistake-filled games. But this guy's opinion is that we are moving in the right direction.
"they are doing it the right way" is an all-time terrible take.

delete your account

In your quest to always wanting to be right, you are showing way to much stubbornness in this.

You can't have one Co- anything. As I showed you the definition of Co means joint or shared. There isn't a chairman of the board and a co-chairman. There may be a vice-chairman.

I showed you the excerpt from an article that showed that Satterfield would be the Co-coordinator with Thomas.

i don't really care how his replacements did if they were both bad to middle of the pack. i'm also more concerned with what he's done lately than I am what he did 4-6 years ago.

i'm not turning anything into a negative, i'm stating reality based on available information. getting hyped up on coaches you had to google is how we always wind up in November and December screaming for them to be fired. would've much preferred Holgorsen, but hope Thomas is legit.
Got it. You like cherry picking stats.

Who said I'm "hyped" about him? What is the downside? Did anyone think Satterfield was getting fired? We now have a legit qb coach. That is a positive despite your negativity. We now also have someone to help Satterfield who has proven success with Rhule. Another positive despite your negativity.

Got it. You like cherry picking stats.

Who said I'm "hyped" about him? What is the downside? Did anyone think Satterfield was getting fired? We now have a legit qb coach. That is a positive despite your negativity. We now also have someone to help Satterfield who has proven success with Rhule. Another positive despite your negativity.
"cherry picking stats" is hilarious coming from the guy who only wants to highlight how he did in a single year at Baylor playing juggernauts like Stephen F Austin and UTSA.

curious, was his offense good enough to outscore a single ranked team in his mythical 2019 year? did they face any teams in the regular season with a scoring defense in the top 25? top 50?

2024 Nebraska schedule includes 2 of the top 4 scoring defenses from last year, and its probably going to be one of the easier schedules we can have moving forward.

Mike Riley went 9-4 in 2012, weren't you ecstatic when he brought his buddy Danny Langsdorf in to Nebraska since they had that one successful season together?

"cherry picking stats" is hilarious coming from the guy who only wants to highlight how he did in a single year at Baylor playing juggernauts like Stephen F Austin and UTSA.

curious, was his offense good enough to outscore a single ranked team in his mythical 2019 year? did they face any teams in the regular season with a scoring defense in the top 25? top 50?

2024 Nebraska schedule includes 2 of the top 4 scoring defenses from last year, and its probably going to be one of the easier schedules we can have moving forward.

Mike Riley went 9-4 in 2012, weren't you ecstatic when he brought his buddy Danny Langsdorf in to Nebraska since they had that one successful season together?
Those 2 came from the Big 10 west. The fact you are worried about MN for next year tells me you have an agenda. No one on any team is worried about MN and their defense.

Kstate was 27th in scoring defense in 2019. ISU 49th. Rice 50th. Georgia 1st.

I love how you keep moving the goal posts. Now you stopped using total offense and moved it to beating ranked teams. Admit it, you aren't a Husker fan. You are trolling.

Yeah, I did see they were very up and down so it not like we can make any certain predictions on how he will do or what we will look like but I like his overall resume.
I thought you might be taking a shot at him for scoring only 26 with Daniels as a QB. But the 2022 QB had a nice completion percentage and the RB had a good amount of yards.
I hope it translates to our team, and even better since we have a #1 QB
Not really taking a shot at Daniels, I had seen him in 2021 and he was really good some games and not as good in others, but I just think ASU was pretty blah. I did look at the QB/RB stats and I agree, if that somehow translates that's a big step in the right direction for this program.

If NU is running the ball well and Raiola is struggling that day, its nice to take him out for a series or so, and insert HH at QB. We know he can run the ball and lead the running game as long as that ball doesn't wind up in the air.

I recall a lot of times that TO would pull the starting QB out for a series or so to help get him straightened out and then reinserted him to have better success that day. Nothing wrong with pulling the starter if he just isn't seeing the game like he normally does. I think that type of move just sharpens their focus.

2017 - 98th
2018 - 63th
2019 - 27th
2020 - 120th
2021 - 112th
2022 - 79th

now do frost...

Given that they’ve served on two prior coaching staffs together, have known each other for years, and will be working on a playbook together, this isn’t a shot across the bow. This was expected.
A grown man in a competitive job is going to take this as a shot across the bow. He better at least.

Those 2 came from the Big 10 west. The fact you are worried about MN for next year tells me you have an agenda. No one on any team is worried about MN and their defense.

Kstate was 27th in scoring defense in 2019. ISU 49th. Rice 50th. Georgia 1st.

I love how you keep moving the goal posts. Now you stopped using total offense and moved it to beating ranked teams. Admit it, you aren't a Husker fan. You are trolling.
Ohio State is not in the Big 10 West. No goal post of mine has been moved, i'm with the data and you're with doing gymnastics around it.

Oh this is awkward, here's you creaming yourself over Satterfield when another poster voiced the same concerns of hiring up all his buddies:

8ct0ye.jpg

Admit it, you're a Husker fan, but you have a very low IQ.

Here is what I like about the hire: (1) Thomas coaches quarterbacks. Coached Matt Ryan. Coached up Charlie Brewer. Candidly coached up Mason Rudolph in Pittsburgh. Not as worried about his play calling today as I am about him being focused on developing the quarterback. (2) Making Satt (as OC) coach TEs sends a message to our TEs that we value them and are central to our offense.

As far as Thomas's history, I cannot speak to all of his stops but can speak to the UNLV stop. Cannot consider that year in any analysis of this career. It was the COVID year on a brand new staff led by new coach (and former Oregon OC) Marcus Arroyo. Arroyo controlled the offense. All non-conference games cancelled. 2 of their in-conference games cancelled at last minute due to COVID. Predicted to finish last in MWC; did finish last in the MWC.

Is Thomas going to be a home run hire? No idea. But I am hopeful.

A grown man in a competitive job is going to take this as a shot across the bow. He better at least.
A guy Satt has known for years is joining the staff and is a dedicated QB coach with proven skills, something that was wanted. The dude has been a coordinator and co-coordinator and giving him that position (I'm assuming he'll do passing game prep) is just a normal thing to happen. Maybe Rhule manages his staff in a collaborative fashion and views shot across the bow thinking as counterproductive.

The Big Picture

Is the offensive coaching staff better than 2023? Probably.
Is the offensive line better? Probably.
Is the tight end room better? Probably.
Is the RB room better? Probably.
Is the receiver room better? Probably.
Is the QB room better? Probably.

Had we been just a little better on offense last year, we could have flipped as many as 5 L's to W's.

So Imma be positive.

Sprinkles and glitter for e'erbody.

Ohio State is not in the Big 10 West. No goal post of mine has been moved, i'm with the data and you're with doing gymnastics around it.

Oh this is awkward, here's you creaming yourself over Satterfield when another poster voiced the same concerns of hiring up all his buddies:

8ct0ye.jpg

Admit it, you're a Husker fan, but you have a very low IQ.
Love it even more. You are spending the time to look up my posting history. Your argument is so weak that you are searching posts back to August in order to grasp something. So hilarious.

I was convinced you are an Iowa fan. Now I wonder if I'm really arguing with my wife since you are dredging up old posts to try and prove me wrong. Honey, is that you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT