ADVERTISEMENT

Turner Gill > Tommie Frazier : Prove me Wrong

Turner really had only one chance to win a natty and came up short:
  • In 1980, he was a freshman and didn't play on the varsity because Jeff Quinn was the established starter.
  • In 1981, he didn't start until the fifth game, and he was injured in the 10th, ending his season, so he wasn't part of the team that played for a national title in the Orange Bowl against Clemson.
  • In 1982, the national title was lost on defense to Penn State early in the season. Of course, the officials are primarily to blame. Gill put the team in position to win, but the bizarre sideline and end zone calls ended the title run in September.
  • In 1983, he threw an incomplete pass to seal Nebraska's fate in the 31-30 OB loss to Miami. In Miami. At Miami's Orange Bowl Stadium. Their home field.
I think Turner's experience convinced Osborne to roll the dice in 1992 with Tommie as a freshman. Osborne had Mike Grant at QB in 1992, and Tommie was installed as the starting QB at Missouri in October 1992. Tommie then had many more chances to win a title than Turner, partly because Osborne had learned the lesson — don't get in the way of a true leader and winner. Tommie had three natty chances and won two. We'll never know if Turner would have come through with two more legitimate chances.

Turner really had only one chance to win a natty and came up short:
  • In 1980, he was a freshman and didn't play on the varsity because Jeff Quinn was the established starter.
  • In 1981, he didn't start until the fifth game, and he was injured in the 10th, ending his season, so he wasn't part of the team that played for a national title in the Orange Bowl against Clemson.
  • In 1982, the national title was lost on defense to Penn State early in the season. Of course, the officials are primarily to blame. Gill put the team in position to win, but the bizarre sideline and end zone calls ended the title run in September.
  • In 1983, he threw an incomplete pass to seal Nebraska's fate in the 31-30 OB loss to Miami. In Miami. At Miami's Orange Bowl Stadium. Their home field.
I think Turner's experience convinced Osborne to roll the dice in 1992 with Tommie as a freshman. Osborne had Mike Grant at QB in 1992, and Tommie was installed as the starting QB at Missouri in October 1992. Tommie then had many more chances to win a title than Turner, partly because Osborne had learned the lesson — don't get in the way of a true leader and winner. Tommie had three natty chances and won two. We'll never know if Turner would have come through with two more legitimate chances.

Turner couldn't play as a Freshman back in those days.

Reactions: DarkHorse93
Some things you don't have to prove. Everyone just knows.

Knows what?

Tommie played on the toughest most competitive teams in Husker history and Turner Gill was chopped liver?

Tommie had an amazing D at his beck and call his entire career.

Turner had everything on his back for 3 years. Defense was half-assed garbage those years.

Both were tremendous game managers - hard to pick one over the other

Frazier had a FAR better defense, and Phillips > Rozier (slightly). Go back to 1994 and it wasn’t so much that Frazier refused to lose as the offensive line and defense. Frazier was a stronger runner, but Gill was a better passer and the best option QB who ever played.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
if you have 1 shot.. you have to score. I don't care who is on your team, name whomever you want. You MUST score. Pick your QB.

I'm going with Frazier every time.

Not saying Gill could not get it done, but the odds of making something happen when you must do it.. Frazier did that so often, everyone believed, and trusted in him to do that.

I think Gill was a better passer. I would have a hard time arguing he was a better overall QB, though I do think the '94 and '95 teams would have won titles with Gill at the helm.

apples / oranges
gilmore / srv
page / eddy
claudia sheffer / monica beluchi
decosta / hannah
pert / botham
nordhavn / flemming
washington / grant
devany / dr tom
lp / rozier
alexander / charles the hammer
calvin / knox
machen / van till
aj floyt / petty
coke / dr pepper
70's steelers / 80's 9ners
bradshaw / montana
phesant / quail
1100 / 870
alizee / adrianna grande

etc.

Last edited:
if you have 1 shot.. you have to score. I don't care who is on your team, name whomever you want. You MUST score. Pick your QB.

I'm going with Frazier every time.

Not saying Gill could not get it done, but the odds of making something happen when you must do it.. Frazier did that so often, everyone believed, and trusted in him to do that.

I'll take Frost at Missouri with :57 left and a Natty on the line from your own 37.

Reactions: Thomud
Yes, he could have, but Osborne chose not to play him. Freshmen became eligible in 1972, but Nebraska rarely used them. Because depth.
Yup. Monte Anthony got a lot of playing time at I-back as a freshman, right after the eligibility rules changed. But after that, not many freshmen saw the field for NU for many years. A few here and there, but it was rare.

Reactions: 9and4

If you have one play from the 2 yard line for all the marbles. … then you obviously go with Gill .. it’s a no brainier

• Haha
Reactions: mgbreis
Turner damn near won 3 titles.

Our 81-83 teams were phucking legit. The start of what most see as Huskerdom.
You've being stupidly aggressive with this comparison. You're acting like the general attitude is that Gill and the 81-83 teams sucked and you're the only one defending them. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Every Nebraska fan knows those teams we're great and Gill was great. Stop trying to start fights that don't exist.

People love using team accomplishments to rate players. Winning definitely matters when assessing a QB but it’s not the end-all-be-all. If it is I guess Eli Manning is better than Dan Marino.

Gill led the greatest offense in college history. Like others said his defenses were nothing compared to Tommie’s because TO finally realized he needed more speed in the 90s. There’s definitely an argument for Gill being our best QB.

I’ll piggy back on this thread and ask which Husker QB is severely underrated because their supporting cast wasn’t on par with Frazier’s or Gill’s?

I’ll offer up Gerry Gdowski

Reactions: BigRedballz
Better FB Player? Tommie by a little bit.

Better man? Turner by a mile.

You've being stupidly aggressive with this comparison. You're acting like the general attitude is that Gill and the 81-83 teams sucked and you're the only one defending them. Which is complete and utter nonsense. Every Nebraska fan knows those teams we're great and Gill was great. Stop trying to start fights that don't exist.

Not starting a fight.

Turner Gill is/was better than Tommie Frazier.

Reactions: Rick.Shaw

joker-cool-story-bro.gif

When it’s this close go with the hardware. Gill should have had one. Would have beat Clemson with him instead of Mauer and would have beat Miami on a neutral field. Still sad about this. I will hate the U forever.

No he didn’t. He about won 1. Tommy won 2 and missed a third by Byron Bennett being a bad kicker in the clutch. Tommy also finished runner up for the Heisman…. I think Turner had more passing skill, but Tommy was money.

Reactions: TFrazier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT