ADVERTISEMENT

Turner Gill > Tommie Frazier : Prove me Wrong

Agreed. Playing at top 10 KSU in 94, Turman just had to hand the ball off to LP…and our OL, LP and defense did the rest. I think Turman only threw one or two times and his throws were screens to LP.
I know this is blasphemous, as TF was a winner, without a doubt, but AM is a much better passer than TF, imo, and very close in the running department. He just doesn’t have the “it” factor that TF must have had. Something about having studs all around TF probably made that much easier. gbr

Reactions: Rick.Shaw
giphy.gif

Martinez was nowhere near the runner or QB Frazier. was. They should not even be mentioned in the same paragraph. There is NO comparison!
He was a better passer than T Frazier though. That much is true. Not as good of a player though…obviously.

I too saw them both and were at the Bowl games for both and I have the exact opposite opinion. I’d take Turner. If the 82 and 83 teams would have had the 94 and 95 defenses…the 82 and 83 teams would be up there in the conversation about the greatest team of all time. 82 roster had Gill, Steinkuhler, Rimington, Fryar, Craig, Rozier but absolutely no defensive standouts. So they had the best college Center ever, another Outland/Lombardi winner lining up next to him, our most talented WR ever, and arguably are best rb ever (tough call between him and Phillips). On defense you had Ken Graeber and Stucky vs anyone named Peter, 210 pound Defensive ends like Straasberger vs Tomich, Dewayne Harris, Donta Jones and Wistrom, cornerbacks Neil Harris and Dave Burke Vs Tyrone Williams. Baron Miles and Michael Booker. Defensive talent in the mid 90s was so much better than 81-83. And yet, Neb played for a Natty in 81 against Clemson, got robbed of a Natty at State College in 82 and were an extra point away from a Natty in 83. It wasn’t Gill’s decision to go for two. Osborne made that call.

Gill was the best overall Qb. Tommie’s passing stats weren’t bad but when he threw it, receivers were often wide open given the fact that we ran the ball about 85 percent of the time on those mid 90s teams. If you had a defense that could stop our run (which were few and far between), Gill could have won games with his arm. Tommie couldn’t have done that.
LP > Rozier

I know this is blasphemous, as TF was a winner, without a doubt, but AM is a much better passer than TF, imo, and very close in the running department. He just doesn’t have the “it” factor that TF must have had. Something about having studs all around TF probably made that much easier. gbr
GTFO. One was a winner. The other a loser. No comparison.

Let it rip.
I think Gill was a more complete QB than Frazier. He threw it better and thought he ran it equally well.

What sets them apart for most people is championships and maybe in some eyes their level of competitiveness. It's true Frazier won two titles and Turner won none, but in '94, Brook Berringer carried the team when Frazier was injured and never skipped a beat. The major difference is that Frazier had a historically good defense both those years and Turner had a below average defense.

I ask myself this question: What if you put Turner on the '94 or '95 team? Would they still win titles? My answer is yes. What if you put Frazier on the '83 team against Miami, would they still lose? I think that answer is yes too.

For me it's a wash. I'm fine with anyone saying either was the greatest NU QB of all time.

Reactions: scarletred
C'mon.

Which other Husker QBs win a National title if they are the starter on the 95 team?

Gdowski
Gill
Steve Taylor
Crouch
Bobby Newcome
Brook B
Taylor Martinez
Tommie Armstrong
J Lord
Hell - Rex Burkhead

others can help me with some of the older guys

The 95 teams may not have been as dominant without Frazier but those other guys would have won as well

Good discussion - not a knock on Frazier but those other guys on the 95 team were bad dudes

Which other Husker QBs win a National title if they are the starter on the 95 team?

Gdowski
Gill
Steve Taylor
Crouch
Bobby Newcome
Brook B
Taylor Martinez
Tommie Armstrong
J Lord
Hell - Rex Burkhead

others can help me with some of the older guys

The 95 teams may not have been as dominant without Frazier but those other guys would have won as well

Good discussion - not a knock on Frazier but those other guys on the 95 team were bad dudes
Holy smokes how far do ya need to go back for QB’s?🙄

Osborne first two QB‘s were David Humm and Steve Runty.RollingLaugh

Last edited:
GTFO. One was a winner. The other a loser. No comparison.
I’m just talking about the arm here man. Do you think AM would have won a lot more games on the 94 and 95 teams BTW? Do you think Frazier would have lost a lot more games on the 2020-2021 teams? If not…don’t know what to tell you. Frazier had the Pipeline, Weigert, Wistrom, Farley, Both Peters, Veland, Tomich, Rucker. Booker. Tyrone Williams, Trev. Shields, Lawrence a Phillips…many many all conference, NFL draft guys. AM…well….he didn’t. Not at all an apples to apples comparison. And, again, Matt Turman was the Qb in 94 when Neb beat nationally ranked KSU at their place (I was there and that was a legit KSU squad). He pretty much just handed the ball off. It shows you the talent Frazier had surrounding him in both sides of the ball.

Name one Neb starter in 2021 that would have started on the 95 team. One. I think you’ll have difficulty doing so. Allen maybe. And before you go to the receiving Corp…Neb in those days wanted blockers first. No way the receivers of today would have started in that offense over Abdul, Clester Johnson and John Vedral. Vedral may be the best edge blocker at receiver I’ve ever seen play at Neb. He was as good of a blocker at his position as the Pipeline was at theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: maggs
I’m just talking about the arm here man. Do you think AM would have won a lot more games on the 94 and 95 teams BTW? Do you think Frazier would have lost a lot more games on the 2020-2021 teams? If not…don’t know what to tell you. Frazier had the Pipeline, Weigert, Wistrom, Farley, Both Peters, Veland, Tomich, Rucker. Booker. Tyrone Williams, Trev. Shields, Lawrence a Phillips…many many all conference, NFL draft guys. AM…well….he didn’t. Not at all an apples to apples comparison. And, again, Matt Turman was the Qb in 94 when Neb beat nationally ranked KSU at their place (I was there and that was a legit KSU squad). He pretty much just handed the ball off. It shows you the talent Frazier had surrounding him in both sides of the ball.

Name one Neb starter in 2021 that would have started on the 95 team. One. I think you’ll have difficulty doing so. Allen maybe. And before you go to the receiving Corp…Neb in those days wanted blockers first. No way the receivers of today would have started in that offense over Abdul, Clester Johnson and John Vedral. Vedral may be the best edge blocker at receiver I’ve ever seen play at Neb. He was as good of a blocker at his position as the Pipeline was at theirs.
I'm saying that Amart made us worse. He should have won a lot more games than he did. He didn't win. Tommie did. It doesn't matter if his teams were less talented than Frazier's. He under performed. Tommie excelled.

Reactions: TFrazier
Open your mind a little. TF was a 53% passer on a team that averaged 400 ypg rushing. He definitely had the it factor that AM doesn’t. Doesn’t change some of the other things from being true. The 95 team would have been tough to beat, even with AM at the helm. gbr

Frazier had the edge in intangibles/competiveness/will to win. 2 Nattys as well.

Just like the old arguments of Bill Russell over Wilt, Jordan over LeBron, Brady over Manning/Rodgers/whoever, number of rings always wins. Performing at the highest level on the biggest stage is key, just the way it is....

Last edited:
As a starting QB, Turner Gill went 30-2, with the only defeats being the 1982 fiasco at PSU and the 1983/4 Orange Bowl loss to Miami, both losses coming to that year's national champs. Again, he didn't win the 1981 national championship because he was injured and didn't play. He didn't win it in '82 because of the bizarre officiating at Beaver Stadium. He didn't win in '83 because ... well, I was at the game, and I'm still not sure why.

As a starter, Frazier went 33-3, with losses in 1992 to ISU and FSU, and in 1993 to FSU in the national title game.

In national title games, Frazier was 2-1, while Gill was 0-1.

Frazier had the edge in intangibles/competiveness/will to win. 2 Nattys as well.

Just like the old arguments of Bill Russell over Wilt, Jordan over LeBron, Brady over Manning/Rodgers/whoever, number of rings always wins....
What intangible was Gill missing in 1982 against PSU, the September game given to PSU by the officials that prevented the Huskers from winning a "natty"?

Open your mind a little. TF was a 53% passer on a team that averaged 400 ypg rushing. He definitely had the it factor that AM doesn’t. Doesn’t change some of the other things from being true. The 95 team would have been tough to beat, even with AM at the helm. gbr
Amart sucked. It doesn't matter what tangibles he had. He under performed. He didn't take his team to new heights. He took them to new lows. You could put him on Frazier's team and they'd not play as well. Now, if you want to substitute Crouch for Frazier on that '95 team you'd have an argument. Amart? Get real.

Reactions: Bruce1981
As a starting QB, Turner Gill went 30-2, with the only defeats being the 1982 fiasco at PSU and the 1983/4 Orange Bowl loss to Miami, both losses coming to that year's national champs. Again, he didn't win the 1981 national championship because he was injured and didn't play. He didn't win it in '82 because of the bizarre officiating at Beaver Stadium. He didn't win in '83 because ... well, I was at the game, and I'm still not sure why.

As a starter, Frazier went 33-3, with losses in 1992 to ISU and FSU, and in 1993 to FSU in the national title game.

Gill was an awesome QB. No doubt. He will always be a hero to me. Frazier just went to the next level (repeatedly). That's the question. Which one was better. That would be Tommie. All respect to Turner.

Reactions: T...Chafes

Just like the old arguments of Bill Russell over Wilt, Jordan over LeBron, Brady over Manning/Rodgers/whoever, number of rings always wins. Performing at the highest level on the biggest stage is key, just the way it is....
Tagge won two National titles too, but Turner Gill was still the better QB…

Reactions: Rick.Shaw and 9and4
Gill was an awesome QB. No doubt. He will always be a hero to me. Frazier just went to the next level (repeatedly). That's the question. Which one was better. That would be Tommie. All respect to Turner.
I guess my point that Turner never had the same chances as Tommie doesn't play with you. That's cool. My initial response would be that Tommie was better, so a lot of my discussion of Turner is playing devil's advocate as well as standing up for someone I covered as a student reporter at the DN and got to know, just a little.

Gill wins that one just by Neb kicking the extra point.

Reactions: pgainey
National championship Nebraska QB records as starters:
  1. Jerry Tagge 32-1-1*
  2. Tommie Frazier 33-3**
  3. Scott Frost 24-2***
*Tagge did not start the 1969 opening-game loss to USC or the second game against Texas A&M. His only loss in three years was the 1969 conference opener to Missouri, his second start as a Cornhusker.

**Frazier did not start the first five games of the 1992 season, but then started every game the rest of '92 and all of '93. He started the first four games and the final one of 1994 and every game in 1995.

***Frost generally avoided injuries at Nebraska, unlike Frazier and Gill, who missed two games at the end of 1981, including the Orange Bowl.

3 Straight MVPs in a NC game. Even over the Heisman winner who was a better QB than Turner Gill.

Argument over.

Best player on the field with Supreme talent on both teams.

Reactions: T...Chafes
Pretty hard to separate Frazier and Gill. Both of them were better Qb's than Martinez ever was or will be!

Turner really had only one chance to win a natty and came up short:
  • In 1980, he was a freshman and didn't play on the varsity because Jeff Quinn was the established starter.
  • In 1981, he didn't start until the fifth game, and he was injured in the 10th, ending his season, so he wasn't part of the team that played for a national title in the Orange Bowl against Clemson.
  • In 1982, the national title was lost on defense to Penn State early in the season. Of course, the officials are primarily to blame. Gill put the team in position to win, but the bizarre sideline and end zone calls ended the title run in September.
  • In 1983, he threw an incomplete pass to seal Nebraska's fate in the 31-30 OB loss to Miami. In Miami. At Miami's Orange Bowl Stadium. Their home field.
I think Turner's experience convinced Osborne to roll the dice in 1992 with Tommie as a freshman. Osborne had Mike Grant at QB in 1992, and Tommie was installed as the starting QB at Missouri in October 1992. Tommie then had many more chances to win a title than Turner, partly because Osborne had learned the lesson — don't get in the way of a true leader and winner. Tommie had three natty chances and won two. We'll never know if Turner would have come through with two more legitimate chances.
Frazier's teams were better on Defense than Gill's. That's why they won nattys.

Had Gill not gotten hurt in 81, we probably beat Clemson (aside from the fact that the refs called holding on every big play we had).

In 1982, we were the best team in the country and got screwed at PSU.

In 1993, we were the best team in the country, but we ran into a team with a tremendous home field advantage and played the game on sand.

Reactions: 9and4 and Rick.Shaw
They were both competitors and generals surrounded by a lot of truly great offensive players. The ability to make correct decisions, be decisive and play hardnosed were shared by both.

Reactions: 9and4
The real question is would Frazier or Gill be better with today's roster? Both much better than Martinez easily. I say Gill but you could make an argument for Frazier also. They are that close! Both would be winners

The real question is would Frazier or Gill be better with today's roster? Both much better than Martinez easily. I say Gill but you could make an argument for Frazier also. They are that close! Both would be winners
Gill could be a starter at QB in Whipple’s offense. Frazier would start…just not at QB. He was an awesome running back/athlete playing QB. Kind of like Thomas Lott and JC Watts in the Ok offenses in the 70s.

I am thankful that they played when they did. Why put them through this currrent situation?

Z38J5aN.gif

Reactions: kidofSN
Gill could be a starter at QB in Whipple’s offense. Frazier would start…just not at QB. He was an awesome running back/athlete playing QB. Kind of like Thomas Lott and JC Watts in the Ok offenses in the 70s.
Frazier was always a quarterback and would be so today.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT