ADVERTISEMENT

Turner Gill > Tommie Frazier : Prove me Wrong

Frazier had the benefit on having better defensive teams..

Turner was a better passer and Tommie was the better runner..

Both overcame obstacles during their time at Nebraska…

Reactions: kidofSN
if you have 1 shot.. you have to score. I don't care who is on your team, name whomever you want. You MUST score. Pick your QB.

I'm going with Frazier every time.

Not saying Gill could not get it done, but the odds of making something happen when you must do it.. Frazier did that so often, everyone believed, and trusted in him to do that.
If it's from my own 20yd line, gimme TMagic. Mad dash tecmo bowl to the house.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Yup. Monte Anthony got a lot of playing time at I-back as a freshman, right after the eligibility rules changed. But after that, not many freshmen saw the field for NU for many years. A few here and there, but it was rare.
Monte Anthony. That’s going back. What a good running back he was. I love Turner, but TF was the man. He should have won a Heisman. But like someone else said, Turner’s teams had average defenses. I think that kept Turner from having a natty…or two.

if you have 1 shot.. you have to score. I don't care who is on your team, name whomever you want. You MUST score. Pick your QB.

I'm going with Frazier every time.

Not saying Gill could not get it done, but the odds of making something happen when you must do it.. Frazier did that so often, everyone believed, and trusted in him to do that.
Frazier never faced a 4th and 8 on the opponents home field needing a TD.

Reactions: scarletred
I’ll piggy back on this thread and ask which Husker QB is severely underrated because their supporting cast wasn’t on par with Frazier’s or Gill’s?

I’ll offer up Gerry Gdowski
I actually have more respect for you on this post..

Reactions: kidofSN
No he didn’t. He about won 1. Tommy won 2 and missed a third by Byron Bennett being a bad kicker in the clutch. Tommy also finished runner up for the Heisman…. I think Turner had more passing skill, but Tommy was money.
I don’t recall Turner ever getting pulled in a big game the way Tommie was pulled in the 95 Orange Bowl. We needed Brooke to come in and give us some much needed momentum. Brooke’s overall play in the 2nd Qtr was important for the win.

Does the “greatest” get pulled during a game?

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
I don’t recall Turner ever getting pulled in a big game the way Tommie was pulled in the 95 Orange Bowl. We needed Brooke to come in and give us some much needed momentum. Brooke’s overall play in the 2nd Qtr was important for the win.

A guy that had blood clots and ton of rust and probably needed it. Yeah. Same guy came in and took over.

He was never pulled during the 1995 season.. Ohh wait 🤔when it happened the games were over..

Reactions: TFrazier

And you fail to mention that he missed most of the season due to blood clots and came back for the bowl game. Nice try.

what-really.gif

83 offense has the 95 defense there is no way in hell they lose a game.
The 95 team didn't lose a game. If you want to play fantasy substitute '82 defense with '83 offense. I'd say that '95 didn't have great defense. They just knew when to bring the heat. You can also make a case for '99 defense with 2001 offense.

Gill great. Tommie better.

The 95 team didn't lose a game. If you want to play fantasy substitute '82 defense with '83 offense. I'd say that '95 didn't have great defense. They just knew when to bring the heat. You can also make a case for '99 defense with 2001 offense.

Gill great. Tommie better.
Disagree 95 defense was night and day better than 82 or 83 defensive blackshirts..

So we’re going with 99 defense and 2001 offense making a different narrative…Winking

Disagree 95 defense was night and day better than 82 or 83 defensive blackshirts..

So we’re going with 99 defense and 2001 offense making a different narrative…Winking

Different eras. '82 defense was better than '83. Might have been enough to give TO his first MNC in '83. Agreed on the latter. Everyone knows how I feel about Crouch.

No one has said it, but I always thought it would have been great to see the Gill lead offenses of 81-83 paired with the '84 defense. That black shirt defense gave up less than 10 PPG on the season, and never game up more than 17 in a game all year.

No one has said it, but I always thought it would have been great to see the Gill lead offenses of 81-83 paired with the '84 defense. That black shirt defense gave up less than 10 PPG on the season, and never game up more than 17 in a game all year.
it was weird how the 83 defense got good in 84 , number 1 good......munford and I think knox

I would put Eric Crouch into this conversation. Eric Crouch was a great runner and had a decent arm for the offense Nebraska ran.

I'd say that '95 didn't have great defense. They just knew when to bring the heat.
Uh, the '95 defense had a boatload of NFL talent and completely destroyed a Florida team that had averaged 45 points per game. While I do give Frazier the edge in this Tommie-vs-Turner poll, the team around him was absolutely loaded.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Uh, the '95 defense had a boatload of NFL talent and completely destroyed a Florida team that had averaged 45 points per game. While I do give Frazier the edge in this Tommie-vs-Turner poll, the team around him was absolutely loaded.
My point was that the '95 defense was not a shut down D. Statistically, they gave gave up points. It was that balance between a good defense and a great offense where they complimented each other. We had lots of disruptors. Tommie was the difference maker. People seem to forget what a leader Tommie was. That '95 offense was like harnessing fusion.

My point was that the '95 defense was not a shut down D. Statistically, they gave gave up points. It was that balance between a good defense and a great offense where they complimented each other. We had lots of disruptors. Tommie was the difference maker. People seem to forget what a leader Tommie was. That '95 offense was like harnessing fusion.
As I already said, my comments about the '95 defense are not meant to pour any cold water on how great Frazier was, but the defense that year was tremendous. All points count, obviously, but they only gave up 14 points per game and 14 of Washington State's points were in the 4th quarter, 19 of K-State's points were in the 4th quarter and ASU scored 28 points in a game in which the Huskers scored 63 in the first half. I have a hard time NOT seeing them as a shut down D.

Reactions: scarletred
As I already said, my comments about the '95 defense are not meant to pour any cold water on how great Frazier was, but the defense that year was tremendous. All points count, obviously, but they only gave up 14 points per game and 14 of Washington State's points were in the 4th quarter, 19 of K-State's points were in the 4th quarter and ASU scored 28 points in a game in which the Huskers scored 63 in the first half. I have a hard time NOT seeing them as a shut down D.
bigboxes is getting the 95 and 97 defense‘s confused with one another. Winking

it was weird how the 83 defense got good in 84 , number 1 good......munford and I think knox
Same guys basically as 83…Brett Clark, Neil Harris, Dave Burke, Strassberger, Knox…etc. They were avg to below Avg in 83 but the best in the country in 84.

Reactions: redwine65
I was fortunate to watch both in person, as many on here were… and while both were amazing, TO THE EYE TEST, not even close…. Tommie
I too saw them both and were at the Bowl games for both and I have the exact opposite opinion. I’d take Turner. If the 82 and 83 teams would have had the 94 and 95 defenses…the 82 and 83 teams would be up there in the conversation about the greatest team of all time. 82 roster had Gill, Steinkuhler, Rimington, Fryar, Craig, Rozier but absolutely no defensive standouts. So they had the best college Center ever, another Outland/Lombardi winner lining up next to him, our most talented WR ever, and arguably are best rb ever (tough call between him and Phillips). On defense you had Ken Graeber and Stucky vs anyone named Peter, 210 pound Defensive ends like Straasberger vs Tomich, Dewayne Harris, Donta Jones and Wistrom, cornerbacks Neil Harris and Dave Burke Vs Tyrone Williams. Baron Miles and Michael Booker. Defensive talent in the mid 90s was so much better than 81-83. And yet, Neb played for a Natty in 81 against Clemson, got robbed of a Natty at State College in 82 and were an extra point away from a Natty in 83. It wasn’t Gill’s decision to go for two. Osborne made that call.

Gill was the best overall Qb. Tommie’s passing stats weren’t bad but when he threw it, receivers were often wide open given the fact that we ran the ball about 85 percent of the time on those mid 90s teams. If you had a defense that could stop our run (which were few and far between), Gill could have won games with his arm. Tommie couldn’t have done that.

Reactions: gomerxx
T Fraziers teams were so talented, part of me believes that AMart would have been a national champion. gbr

• Haha
T Fraziers teams were so talented, part of me believes that AMart would have been a national champion. gbr
Agreed. Playing at top 10 KSU in 94, Turman just had to hand the ball off to LP…and our OL, LP and defense did the rest. I think Turman only threw one or two times and his throws were screens to LP.

Reactions: maggs and pgainey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT