ADVERTISEMENT

Thank God Osborne is being consulted

LPTC1

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 22, 2017
Say what you want about TO, but the facts remain that no AD has been able to even come close to his two hires (Solich,Pelini) at Nebraska. People can blame TO for the program's downfall all they want, but i would argue that he has been the only AD/hiring influence that knows how to win at Nebraska. You can argue anything you want to try to deny that but I like to look at the facts. In the post Tom Osborne era of Nebraska football: Tom Osborne hires have won 73% of their games, finished 1st in their division 7 times, and played in 4 conference championship games. Meanwhile, non-TO hires have won 55% of their games, won the division once, and played in 1 CCG.

So to all the people complaining that TO will probably have some influence on the next AD, and most likely HC, don't worry. Our winning percentage, division titles, and conference championship game appearances are about to increase!

Say what you want about TO, but the facts remain that no AD has been able to even come close to his two hires (Solich,Pelini) at Nebraska. People can blame TO for the program's downfall all they want, but i would argue that he has been the only AD/hiring influence that knows how to win at Nebraska. You can argue anything you want to try to deny that but I like to look at the facts. In the post Tom Osborne era of Nebraska football: Tom Osborne hires have won 73% of their games, finished 1st in their division 7 times, and played in 4 conference championship games. Meanwhile, non-TO hires have won 55% of their games, won the division once, and played in 1 CCG.

So to all the people complaining that TO will probably have some influence on the next AD, and most likely HC, don't worry. Our winning percentage, division titles, and conference championship game appearances are about to increase!
He didn’t hire Solich!

Reactions: TheNewNU
You people are a bunch of idiots! Lol
You do realize that Tom called a press conference while Bill Byrne was out of town for a meeting and named Frank his successor. At that point in time there was no AD in the country who could have done anything else but hire Frank. Byrne was pissed and he left at least partly because of it. Don't call names. You're a better poster than that.

Got no problem whatsoever with TO being consulted. Why not? Let's hear what he has to say. Consult with all kinds of people to gain different perspectives.
Then the new AD makes the call and lives with it.
By bringing Tom in to the loop maybe you prevent the tradition coalition from being pissed that he was consulted at least. Maybe more importantly you can get Tom on board again.

He didn’t hire Solich!
I knew Solich was going to be the next head coach at NU several years before he was hired and I am not an "insider". So yes, TO did more than give his blessing to that decision.
Edit: forgot about the presser where TO put his thumb on the scale.

The biggest question the need to ask is how much are they willing to spend? There are only a handful of qualified candidates.

Solich was not making the right corrections to the staff - his final year changes were forced on him due to a fairly mundane team the prior season. Solich was not a bad hire but the trend was not good.....I agreed with the decision to fire him. Everything after that decision was a CCF. Our AD thought he had an NFL coach in the bag - but said coach got another year - and SP was left holding the bag. Panic set in because Plan A had failed and SP had no Plan B (nobody wanted the job - at least not for what SP could offer for $$$).
TO's decision to hire Pelini was generally seen as a good hire - LSU's DC coming off a MNC and he had coached at Nebraska and OU.... Bo's actual record was good (yeah I know - no conf. rings, too many blow out losses). BUT - the realities of coaching in a fish bowl and Bo's lack of experience running a D1 fb program caught up to him. He hit the ceiling - which was not high enough. Not a "bad hire" - he got enough time but he pissed off Harvey and Harvey was gonna get his Pelini scalp.

Callaclown and Riley - up front both were questionable hires and we know the 1st one end badly. The 2nd one will too.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
I'm unhappy with the timing of the firing and the situation it puts Riley in. Other than that I don't particularly care that Eichorst was fired.
The more I think about the timing though the more I think they probably needed to do it now. Odds are that Riley isn't going to win enough games to keep his job at this point. IF that happens you want your new AD on board and ready to go. I don't think SE still being here would have bought Riley all that much time. The pitchfork crowd already have the tar heated up and the feathers and rail ready.

What excuse? If Eichorst needed to be fired, you wait until after the final game of the season. But a bunch of butthurt boosters couldn't wait three months.
Not all about football bud.
And why do you have to wait? Until you're left scrambling??

Reactions: Minn1954
The more I think about the timing though the more I think they probably needed to do it now. Odds are that Riley isn't going to win enough games to keep his job at this point. IF that happens you want your new AD on board and ready to go. I don't think SE still being here would have bought Riley all that much time. The pitchfork crowd already have the tar heated up and the feathers and rail ready.
Coming around?

Coming around?
Not really. I just think though that IF they knew they were going to do it (and I think they did), they needed to do it now so we have our ducks in a row in case Riley loses out. You don't want to fire the AD at the end of football season and try to find a guy to replace hm and deal with the coaching situation. In a way this really probably doesn't matter to Riley's future. He needs to win regardless.

Not all about football bud.
And why do you have to wait? Until you're left scrambling??

Seems like we're scrambling now. That extra three months would give us plenty of time to make discreet inquiries about who might be interested. Now we're pinning our hopes on Alberts and Rimington. God help us if those two turn the job down.

You do realize that Tom called a press conference while Bill Byrne was out of town for a meeting and named Frank his successor. At that point in time there was no AD in the country who could have done anything else but hire Frank. Byrne was pissed and he left at least partly because of it. Don't call names. You're a better poster than that.

It's well known that TO circumvented Byrne, and did it because he feared Byrne had a mind of his own, and might actually go outside the program. In hindsight, maybe Mack Brown works out better than Solich, maybe not.

What I find funny is imagine Nebraska gets Nick Saban from Michigan State in 1997. I can hear the reaction, "we kicked his ass in 95 and 96! He sucks!!"

The only real benefit from consulting with Osborne is to get the "traditionalist fanatics" to buy into the hire and not attempt to sabotage it at every turn.

The flip side, is when those "traditionalist fanatics" aren't pleased with the hire, they will just say Osborne was ignored or he wanted a Nebraska man but was overruled.

Nothing good comes from it. At some point people need to either stop asking his opinion, or tell him to butt out. Depending on whichever side of the argument you believe (if he is asked his opinion or if its unsolicited)

Reactions: RedMyMind and WHCSC
The only real benefit from consulting with Osborne is to get the "traditionalist fanatics" to buy into the hire and not attempt to sabotage it at every turn.
Yeah, I think they just sort of ask to ask...Then if they do go and offer the coach they really want and that coach calls TO and asks about NU TO can say positive stuff...I don't know. Who knows.

I think there is a smartness to embracing the past but it doesn't mean you have to listen to what they say, just smile and nod.

I've posted this in other places but I think the program would be in a better spot overall if we would allow Riley to build/manage our roster. He is/was going to upgrade the talent of this program. I'm confident of that. If he wasn't winning heading into year 4-5 then fire him and allow the next coach to come in with a significantly better roster. The next coach is going to have to spend 2-4 years ironing it all out just like Riley is doing now.

No he’s an Eichorst/Riley lover lol

I like Riley a lot. That's true. Though I've clearly documented a number of things he's done that I don't think were the right decision and/or criticized things he has handled poorly on the field.

That's the problem with posters like yourself. You're either dense, stupid, or being porpusefully obtuse. I suppose some combination is also possible.

How about accepting the fact that a chat with TO about the direction of the football program isn't a bad idea?

I think it's a bad idea. I don't want him near the program. Shit. The guy only showed up because he's eager to be back on the stage with the 'Harvey was wrong' crowd when it was time to axe SE. He doesn't forget. And he will always want to be at the center of attention. He's never been the same after losing the election.

I've posted this in other places but I think the program would be in a better spot overall if we would allow Riley to build/manage our roster. He is/was going to upgrade the talent of this program. I'm confident of that. If he wasn't winning heading into year 4-5 then fire him and allow the next coach to come in with a significantly better roster. The next coach is going to have to spend 2-4 years ironing it all out just like Riley is doing now.

That is pure conjecture. We are on pace for 4 wins this year with the easiest part of our schedule behind us.

I can just as easily argue that he isn't going to upgrade the talent here - his classes have been ranked every bit as mediocre as pelinis and this class isn't going to hold based on the teams play

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT