ADVERTISEMENT

State basketball tournament

You are 100% correct heck even several priests said the same thing, they don’t recruit as much as controlling the enrollment. Fall City sacred hearts a classic example
It's probably more of them keeping their enrollment similar year-over-year to stay within the space & number of teachers they have to work with.

Reactions: moralvictories
Account NumberService Date

If you know Skutt then you will know who Mike
McMahon is. He and I were good friends. I will trust what the man told me from day one.
Mike was great! And Skutt never had plans to become a Class A school.

Reactions: kidofSN
A town of 250 people at pure poverty level against Norfolk Catholic kids.

Damn.
Pure poverty level?

Buffalo County School District 0119 (Amherst) issued a $9,000,000 + bond issue in December, 2021. Aa3 rated by Moody’s.

Info from the POS (preliminary offering statement) issued by Piper Jafrey:

Student enrollment ~ 384 pre k thru 12.
District population: 1,150.
Staffing - 25.5 teachers, 3 Administrators, 18 staff members
Net Direct and overlapping debt to taxable valuation: 2.95%.
Taxable Valuation of SD #0119 - $340,000,000
Audited Financial Statement - 8/31/2020. Net Fund Balance = $5,360,000

Source - EMMA.marble.org

As someone that has bought a ton of bonds, SD #119 is a good looking credit. They should be able to provide their students an excellent education.

I get it...your from there or have family there and that is fine...just gets old watching FCSH and St. Francis year after year dominate the smaller classes and now you can add Parkview Christian to that mix...extremely unfair...I will leave it at that...
Parkview Christian used to be really bad.

Reactions: c_broadus
Reactions: huskerfan1414
I get it...your from there or have family there and that is fine...just gets old watching FCSH and St. Francis year after year dominate the smaller classes and now you can add Parkview Christian to that mix...extremely unfair...I will leave it at that...
You say it gets old watching St. Francis and Falls City Sacred Heart playing each other for the championship year after year? Don't watch, do something else if you don't like it.

So I am a loser for calling FCSH out for recruiting...got it...thanks for letting me know.

Not disagreeing on the getting our asses kicked though.
No I’m saying your non-evidence based opinion is based on rhetoric from you and others like you thats “always been said” and “cherry pick” is from people who are bitter about getting their asses kicked.

Last edited:
Can't speak about pius. I know about several other schools that we used to intertwine with. They were normally at the upper end of their class size d2,d1,c2,c1 and NEVER moved over or under like other schools consistently on the bubble because of class size fluctuations by birthrate or moving in or out of school district. They pick the enrollment number they want and that's where they stay.

If you're not an up and coming stud, you better be nervous because your enrollment slot could be in jeopardy
Wow several schools? This should be easy to name then.

Im off to go work on my kids 40 time with him. He’s entering kindergarten next year and I want our parish school to accept him, so we need a good 40 time to put on that application. Wish us luck.

• Haha
Also can anyone tell me why schools like NP st pats and fremont Bergan would opt up a class in football? Or if schools are so good at controlling enrollment why would they be at the bottom of their class? I mean if you can “cherry pick” or “hand pick”?

It's being able to recruit and also not having to take all the other students, including all the special-needs students. So private schools have a higher percentage of athletes in their enrollment. Public schools have to accept everyone.

Do you honest think it's fair for Falls City Sacred Heart and Lincoln Parkview Christian to be in the same class as Hyannis and Wynot, which are towns of less than 200 people? For North Platte St Pat's to be in the same class as Loomis, population 400? Grand Island Catholic in the same class as Amherst, population 250?

Skutt and Roncalli both won by about 25 points in semifinal games today....why don't they step up to class A and play against other Omaha schools, instead of dominating small-town public schools?
Anyone know the average SPED percentages from public and private schools?

I assume they are even…
SPED is all public funds, most private schools will bus them to the public schools for additional help

3 state finals in a row along with the collapse of our football program. MN officially a basketball school.

SPED is all public funds, most private schools will bus them to the public schools for additional help
Or in our local case WE bus them for music and jr high sports and provide daily bussing but lose out on state aid. Yeah that's fair. Can't do anything about it because the parochial parents control the public school board 🙄 😒 😴

Or in our local case WE bus them for music and jr high sports and provide daily bussing but lose out on state aid. Yeah that's fair. Can't do anything about it because the parochial parents control the public school board 🙄 😒 😴
Seems like the easy solution would be to let parochial parents send their tax money to the school of their choice

In tomorrow's State Championship games, 8 out of the 10 schools in classes B through D2 finals are private schools. They all out worked those public schools.

Only about 7 out of 48 private/parochial schools are in Class C-1. Are the rest of them doing it wrong?

Just looking at where most of these school are ranked in enrollment, it would be a stretch to say that there is enough demand, particularly in the smaller communities, that the students they turn away would be enough to move them up a classification.
Yes, since Nebraska towns and schools have magic wands that they can wave that controls population, yes those private schools that aren't at the top of C-1 are doing it wrong. But seriously, I said that was optimal and that was based on economic study and mathematics. There are other sweet spots that smaller and larger schools can get to that maximize the bang for their buck. Personally, I think the ability of private schools to turn students away is not that big of a factor in the competitive advantage that they have.

No I’m saying your non-evidence based opinion is based on rhetoric from you and others like you thats “always been said” and “cherry pick” is from people who are bitter about getting their asses kicked.
Here is some evidence for you...All 4 teams in the Class D-2 finals in boys and girls tomorrow are PRIVATE schools...I am sure it is just a coincidence...not to mention St. Mary's beat Osceola by 30 in the semifinals.

Keep living in denial thinking those schools don't have an unfair advantage.

Here is some evidence for you...All 4 teams in the Class D-2 finals in boys and girls tomorrow are PRIVATE schools...I am sure it is just a coincidence...not to mention St. Mary's beat Osceola by 30 in the semifinals.

Keep living in denial thinking those schools don't have an unfair advantage.
It’s not an unfair advantage

you get what you pay for

this attitude is exactly why our public schools are useless warehouses

I went to the FCSH/Parkview game last night. I'm curious, on SH's roster, please tell me which player was recruited to play.

Perhaps they are better because they are well coached, they challenge the kids, they play a tough schedule (10 C2 teams, 3 C1 teams), and they have multi year starters.

Now do Millard North....

I went to the FCSH/Parkview game last night. I'm curious, on SH's roster, please tell me which player was recruited to play.

Perhaps they are better because they are well coached, they challenge the kids, they play a tough schedule (10 C2 teams, 3 C1 teams), and they have multi year starters.

Now do Millard North....
Glad you could make it to a game...Does Parkview Christian still have 1/2 their roster made up of Euros or did the NSAA finally put a stop to that.

Like someone already pointed out, 8 out of 10 finals are made up of private schools, if you can't see why this upsets people I don't know what to tell you.

I wish FCSH, St. Mary's, Parkview Christian and St. Francis the best of luck in their future private school state invitationals.

And Go Ashland-Greenwood!!!

• Haha
I keep seeing this weird "unfair advantage" line.

What is the unfair advantage?
Private schools advantages, here are some off the top of my head...notice how I don't state they are "unfair", just built in advantages:

-More money at home= more access to lessons, nutrition, camps, travel, equipment, etc
-Ability to take donations from anyone for any cause
-More parental involvement because parents are paying for school and are vested in education
-Aren't restricted by attendance areas like public schools
-More percentage of eligible students. If a student is failing or has discipline issues, he's kicked out of a private school. Many public school students can't make grades, can't read, or have to work to provide and dropout
-Less special ed population= more kids getting better grades= more playing sports. (Students with learning disabilities have a much high chance of failing classes)
-Some private schools require participation in sports by all students, (because they don't work as much or as often as public school kids)
-Ability to admin or deny any student from attending their school

There's others I'm sure. Now I'd love to see a list of public school advantages if anyone can come up with one.

Last edited:
Private schools advantages, here are some off the top of my head...notice how I don't state they are "unfair", just built in advantages:

-More money at home= more access to lessons, nutrition, camps, travel, equipment, etc
-Ability to take donations from anyone for any cause
-More parental involvement because parents are paying for school and are vested in education
-Aren't restricted by attendance areas like public schools
-More percentage of eligible students. If a student is failing or has discipline issues, he's kicked out of a private school. Many public school students can't make grades, can't read, or have to work to provide and dropout
-Less special ed population= more kids getting better grades= more playing sports. (Students with learning disabilities have a much high chance of failing classes)
-Some private schools require participation in sports by all students, (because they don't work as much or as often as public school kids)
-Ability to admin or deny any student from attending their school

There's others I'm sure. Now I'd love to see a list of public school advantages if anyone can come up with one.
Dude, I love that your version of public school kids is that they are all poor, have to work multiple jobs to support their family and they all have learning disabilities. Oh and they all have parents that don't give a **** about their education. I also saw hit movie Dangerous Minds.

This is awesome!

With that said, I did teach at two different public schools. One was your version and it sucked. The other really nice.

Last edited:
Glad you could make it to a game...Does Parkview Christian still have 1/2 their roster made up of Euros or did the NSAA finally put a stop to that.

Like someone already pointed out, 8 out of 10 finals are made up of private schools, if you can't see why this upsets people I don't know what to tell you.

I wish FCSH, St. Mary's, Parkview Christian and St. Francis the best of luck in their future private school state invitationals.

I can't speak for Parkview Christian, although they have a very diverse lineup.

All i know is if you look at the rosters of FCSH and St. Francis, the names are very traditional from past years. Evidently Steve Simon shouldn't send his kid to his alma mater because it's not fair to public schools.

Dude, I love that your version of public school kids is that they are all poor, have to work multiple jobs to support their family and they all have learning disabilities. Oh and they all have parents that don't give a **** about their education. I also saw hit movie Dangerous Minds.

This is awesome!

With that said, I did teach at two different public schools. One was your version and it sucked. The other really nice.

45% of students in Nebraska 2017 qualified for free and reduced lunch. Poverty, it's everywhere. Link to stats. I'm guessing in private schools, the percentage on free and reduced lunch is way less than 5%. That alone has a major effect on sports participation. It's easy to say public schools need to "try harder", when there are more issues at play than meet the eye.

For starters, Jason Green is not a Millard North kid. He's an OPS kid. (Same was true with Hunter Salis.) Many more on MN's team do not live in that district....
Refresh my memory, Millard North is a parochial school maybe? 3rd year in a row in the state championship.....

Their tax dollars pay for those busses too.
Quit being a big baby girl

Ironically you say go Ashland greenwood, whose opponent is Auburn tomorrow. I wonder how the Binder families ended up in Auburn, being they all dwell in the Table Rock area. Fascinating.

I can't speak for Parkview Christian, although they have a very diverse lineup.

All i know is if you look at the rosters of FCSH and St. Francis, the names are very traditional from past years. Evidently Steve Simon shouldn't send his kid to his alma mater because it's not fair to public schools.
Funny how Parkview Christian went from really bad to really good when they switched to a "diverse lineup."

Ironically you say go Ashland greenwood, whose opponent is Auburn tomorrow. I wonder how the Binder families ended up in Auburn, being they all dwell in the Table Rock area. Fascinating.
I said go Ashland-Greenwood because their best players father is from my hometown...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT