ADVERTISEMENT

State basketball tournament

Refresh my memory, Millard North is a parochial school maybe? 3rd year in a row in the state championship.....

Nope. No one is debating the Private vs Public debate about Class A, especially in Omaha and Lincoln. Everyone agrees that schools like MN, Bell West, Westside, etc openly recruit the city for athletes for specific sports to make super teams. When the learning community laws passed in Omaha, it became open season for all schools/district to recruit. (although some like Gretna and Bennington keep their borders closed as they are out of city limits).

Because of this- private Class A schools such as Prep/Marian do not dominate the sports scene.

45% of students in Nebraska 2017 qualified for free and reduced lunch. Poverty, it's everywhere. Link to stats. I'm guessing in private schools, the percentage on free and reduced lunch is way less than 5%. That alone has a major effect on sports participation.
I taught at a private k-8 school. We had over 30% on Free/Reduced lunch. I remember my AP showing me the list of names and she goes "Everyone thinks that all these kids here have these super rich families, but it just isn't the case"

k-8 tuition at a private school will run you about 2,000-3,500 a year or about 300 a month. the parish picks up the other 60%Iish of the cost of attending.

We had well over 50% of our students that also got tuition assistance. For most families it is more of a sacrifice that they are making. Like you said, poverty is everywhere. I was shocked when she showed/told me all that because I also thought they were all rich kids.

Now, if you are talking Choate Academy

Then yeah...those kids are probably in a pretty good financial spot.

Last edited:
Nope. No one is debating the Private vs Public debate about Class A, especially in Omaha and Lincoln. Everyone agrees that schools like MN, Bell West, Westside, etc openly recruit the city for athletes for specific sports to make super teams. When the learning community laws passed in Omaha, it became open season for all schools/district to recruit. (although some like Gretna and Bennington keep their borders closed as they are out of city limits).

Because of this- private Class A schools such as Prep/Marian do not dominate the sports scene.
Elkhorn also keeps borders closed, I think.

Reactions: T...Chafes
Well, GPS is hiring a boatload of people right now with the new high school coming online, better get your hat in the ring.

I taught at a private k-8 school. We had over 30% on Free/Reduced lunch. I remember my AP showing me the list of names and she goes "Everyone thinks that all these kids here have these super rich families, but it just isn't the case"

k-8 tuition at a private school will run you about 2,000-3,500 a year or about 300 a month. the parish picks up the other 60%Iish of the cost of attending.

We had well over 50% of our students that also got tuition assistance. For most families it is more of a sacrifice that they are making. Like you said, poverty is everywhere.

Yeah, the 5% that T...Chafes states is laughable. Parkview is at 18%, FCSH is at 18%, HastingsCC is at 20%, Roncalli is at 38%, even Skutt is above the 5% (barely).

We had well over 50% of our students that also got tuition assistance. For most families it is more of a sacrifice that they are making. Like you said, poverty is everywhere. I was shocked when she showed/told me all that because I also thought they were all rich kids.

That's a pretty affordable private school! Most here in Omaha are $8K+ a year. Brownell Talbot is the most expensive around I believe, close to $20K a year.

That's a pretty affordable private school! Most here in Omaha are $8K+ a year. Brownell Talbot is the most expensive around I believe, close to $20K a year.
Yeah, I think Brownell is well over 15k...even at the elem level...and they are horrific at sports!

But awesome at speech!

Yeah, the 5% that T...Chafes states is laughable. Parkview is at 18%, FCSH is at 18%, HastingsCC is at 20%, Roncalli is at 38%, even Skutt is above the 5% (barely).
Ok, fine. Let's say 15% state wide in private schools. Schools with large populations like Prep, Marian, Pius, Skutt skew the #'s down, as they are very low in free and reduced lunch. That's still a huge gap.

Glad you could make it to a game...Does Parkview Christian still have 1/2 their roster made up of Euros or did the NSAA finally put a stop to that.

Like someone already pointed out, 8 out of 10 finals are made up of private schools, if you can't see why this upsets people I don't know what to tell you.

I wish FCSH, St. Mary's, Parkview Christian and St. Francis the best of luck in their future private school state invitationals.

And Go Ashland-Greenwood!!!
You ignored his question. Who was recruited to FCSH?

Reactions: huskernaut
I am not sure why people are hung up on the word "recruiting" those schools need to get students. What are they supposed to do, open their doors and shit in one hand and wish in the other...because I can tell you what will fill up first.

I have seen the "recruiting" pitches from every school in Omaha (Except the all girls schools) and the pitch is all the same. The talk about the school, the classes, the lunches, the family atmosphere, the sports, the clubs and all that stuff.

Why is that bad?

Glad you could make it to a game...Does Parkview Christian still have 1/2 their roster made up of Euros or did the NSAA finally put a stop to that.

Like someone already pointed out, 8 out of 10 finals are made up of private schools, if you can't see why this upsets people I don't know what to tell you.

I wish FCSH, St. Mary's, Parkview Christian and St. Francis the best of luck in their future private school state invitationals.

And Go Ashland-Greenwood!!!
Remember when the Wahoo boys basketball team was winning championships year after year? Should they have been forced to move up a class? What about the South Sioux City girls teams that were on a tear? Should they have been forced to move up to Class A because no one could beat them in Class B?

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Remember when the Wahoo boys basketball team was winning championships year after year? Should they have been forced to move up a class? What about the South Sioux City girls teams that were on a tear? Should they have been forced to move up to Class A because no one could beat them in Class B?
I remember when Bruce Chubick, Chris Peacock and Jamie Liewer were playing for Atkinson West Holt and ranked 5th or 6th in the World-Herald's all-class rankings. There was a lot of talk about how the Class C-1 state tournament was going to be a total bloodbath, with West Holt winning all their games by 40 points.

Then they lost in the district final - problem solved.

Reactions: moralvictories
I remember when Bruce Chubick, Chris Peacock and Jamie Liewer were playing for Atkinson West Holt and ranked 5th or 6th in the World-Herald's all-class rankings. There was a lot of talk about how the Class C-1 state tournament was going to be a total bloodbath, with West Holt winning all their games by 40 points.

Then they lost in the district final - problem solved.
Exactly. Other teams need to step up and beat the champs instead of whining about them having an unfair advantage.

Wahoo and SSC are exceptions, just as there are some private schools out there that are terrible in athletics. The private vs public debate in athletics is going on nationwide, not just in this thread or just in Nebraska....

Also in Iowa: Link
Ohio: Link
Florida: Link
Michigan: Link
New York: Link
Etc
Etc
Etc

Last edited:
I have kind of watched this thread, and I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I have a question. If the disparity is so big, why don't the people who are so pissed about it just send their kids to a private school?
How many private schools are there in central Nebraska and the Sandhills?

• Haha
How many private schools are there in central Nebraska and the Sandhills?
I get it, I was a CRC guy too and there wasn't much of an option in our area. But if that is important a fair amount of small towns will be within 20-30 miles of a private school. GI, Hastings, Kearney, Columbus, O'Neill, North Platte, West Point, Norfolk, Hartington, Humphrey, Lindsay, David City, Wahoo, Fremont, Nebraska City, Spaulding, Elgin. As far as the Sandhills, some of those kids that are living on a big ass ranches are driving 20-30 miles to get to school in Gordon, Hyannis, Arthur, Thedford, shit even Ogallala or McCook.

I just think the argument sounds like a Democrat pissing and moaning about what is fair and what isn't. There is freedom of choice. Shit Hampton was good when I was in school, just because the Hawks didn't win it all every year doesn't mean they were jobbed by private schools. The CRC was a bitch and running through that gauntlet should provide some satisfaction.

Wahoo and SSC are exceptions, just as there are some private schools out there that are terrible in athletics. The private vs public debate in athletics is going on nationwide, not just in this thread or just in Nebraska....

Also in Iowa: Link
Ohio: Link
Florida: Link
Michigan: Link
New York: Link
Etc
Etc
Etc
But what is the debate?
That is the question no one can answer.

In tomorrow's State Championship games, 8 out of the 10 schools in classes B through D2 finals are private schools. They all out worked those public schools.
Did you include Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family in the 8?

If so, while that's technically correct, LHF is the only school in that town & they're not pulling kids in from other towns.

Did you include Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family in the 8?

If so, while that's technically correct, LHF is the only school in that town & they're not pulling kids in from other towns.
That is a strange arrangement. Locals told me st Francis told both where to put it. Can't say if true but that's what I was told when I was in Humphrey awhile back

That is a strange arrangement. Locals told me st Francis told both where to put it. Can't say if true but that's what I was told when I was in Humphrey awhile back
It is, but I don't think St Francis needs to consolidate which is why they've told both Humphrey Public and LHF 'no thanks'.

Honestly it seems to be working out just fine for all parties.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT