ADVERTISEMENT

State basketball tournament

Nope, sure can't...I'm not from down there...all I know is what has been well known for 30 years....FCSH has an extremely unfair advantage with who they compete against.

Like I said does Goltz have the Nebraska record for wins coaching his entire career at Pawnee City or Mullen?
LOL Not much of a leg to stand on if you can't name a player. Doesn't help your case much.

Falls City High has had some talent go through in the last decade for basketall. I know 2 kids who were studs on Falls City High, and their dad was a Sacred Heart alum. I guess with all that recruiting sacred heart is doing, one would think every kid would go play for goltz. Guess not.

When I was in high school (private), my alma mater was on the borderline with several other schools between Class A and B. They all tried to be the last at reporting numbers, so they could see what number they needed to be lower than. It usually came down to a matter of 5 or 10 students.

Yes, performing better in a lower class is far more valuable than tuition of a handful of students.

No, I do not have notarized documents sealed in a tamper-proof vault to prove this.

I remember Sacred Heart recruited a kid from freaking Chicago one year to win a state basketball championship. I believe this was in the early 2000s. Don't tell me they didn't recruit back in the day.
That kid was living on the streets in Chicago with no family. He had an aunt in Falls City and went to live with her. You call that recruiting?
Those of you braying that private schools somehow "hold down" enrollment so as to dominate high schools sports are idiots. Those private schools would love to have more students -- it would mean more revenue. Then they could pay their teachers the same as public schools, build the same kind of palatial facilities as public schools and, most importantly, give more kids a quality Christian education. Newsflash: private schools do not exist with a mission to dominate something as silly as high school sports. Parents sacrifice greatly to send their kids to private schools. Those same parents are going to be involved in the school. If parents of public school kids aren't as involved, shame on them. But those of you saying that there needs to be some kind of "equalizer" are an example of what's wrong with this country today -- dumb everything down to the lowest denominator and punish those who strive for greatness. And by the way, you're insulting my neighbors who send their kids to the local public school and are very involved with their kids' activities.

I don't know what the answer is...make the private schools bump up a class? or have the private schools have a separate state tournament? no idea...

But as someone already stated the current configuration isn't working...the state semifinals in Class B shouldn't both be 25 point blowouts won by two private schools...who wants to watch that?
Then you'd have Class B schools in Omaha Gross (4-18) & Mount Michael Benedictine (10-12) moving up to Class A as well.

I get it, if someone sees this as an issue then they're trying to think of solutions. It's just that you may create unintended issues elsewhere.

Reactions: c_broadus
FCSH absolutely recruits...especially during their run in the late 80s early 90s...they had students from several surrounding communities not to mention kids from Missouri, Kansas and Iowa.

I am sure Goltz is an ok coach, but I would love to see what his record would be if he had spent his whole career at say Pawnee City or some other public high school.
If you're from Hampton, ask Coach Eickhoff on his thoughts. While you're at it, ask him where he grew up. You'll find the irony.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
LOL Not much of a leg to stand on if you can't name a player. Doesn't help your case much.

Falls City High has had some talent go through in the last decade for basketall. I know 2 kids who were studs on Falls City High, and their dad was a Sacred Heart alum. I guess with all that recruiting sacred heart is doing, one would think every kid would go play for goltz. Guess not.
So you knew the kids' home mailing address that you competed against? Good for you...your coach had a very detailed scouting report...LOL.

So you knew the kids' home mailing address that you competed against? Good for you...your coach had a very detailed scouting report...LOL.
It's not a matter of knowing address, kind of a childish comment on your part. Seems like you have an ax to grind, but not having proof of your accusations, you just grasp at straws.

It's not a matter of knowing address, kind of a childish comment on your part. Seems like you have an ax to grind, but not having proof of your accusations, you just grasp at straws.
I get it...your from there or have family there and that is fine...just gets old watching FCSH and St. Francis year after year dominate the smaller classes and now you can add Parkview Christian to that mix...extremely unfair...I will leave it at that...

• Haha
I get it...your from there or have family there and that is fine...just gets old watching FCSH and St. Francis year after year dominate the smaller classes and now you can add Parkview Christian to that mix...extremely unfair...I will leave it at that...
Hey, I didn't say I liked it at the time. We battled them tightly in 89, losing a close one in the end. But I grew up with those guys, and they were all legit as much as it pains me to admit it. LOL

That kid was living on the streets in Chicago with no family. He had an aunt in Falls City and went to live with her. You call that recruiting?

That's not true at all lol, he was not living on the streets. He lived with his parents and Grandmother in Chicago. But he didn't get along with his older teammates in Chicago as the only freshman on varsity and he wanted to be the star. His uncle in Falls City and Goltz recruited him to play at Sacred Heart for a year. He went back to Chicago after basketball season ended.

FCSH absolutely recruits...especially during their run in the late 80s early 90s...they had students from several surrounding communities not to mention kids from Missouri, Kansas and Iowa.

I am sure Goltz is an ok coach, but I would love to see what his record would be if he had spent his whole career at say Pawnee City or some other public high school.
I think Pawnee City actually beat Sacred Heart a time or 2 in the late 80's if I remember correctly.

That's not true at all lol, he was not living on the streets. He lived with his parents and Grandmother in Chicago. But he didn't get along with his older teammates in Chicago as the only freshman on varsity and he wanted to be the star. His uncle in Falls City and Goltz recruited him to play at Sacred Heart for a year. He went back to Chicago after basketball season ended.
It is absolutely true. He was out on the streets

Those of you braying that private schools somehow "hold down" enrollment so as to dominate high schools sports are idiots. Those private schools would love to have more students -- it would mean more revenue. Then they could pay their teachers the same as public schools, build the same kind of palatial facilities as public schools and, most importantly, give more kids a quality Christian education. Newsflash: private schools do not exist with a mission to dominate something as silly as high school sports. Parents sacrifice greatly to send their kids to private schools. Those same parents are going to be involved in the school. If parents of public school kids aren't as involved, shame on them. But those of you saying that there needs to be some kind of "equalizer" are an example of what's wrong with this country today -- dumb everything down to the lowest denominator and punish those who strive for greatness. And by the way, you're insulting my neighbors who send their kids to the local public school and are very involved with their kids' activities.
It’s funny how many stud athletes have relatives that just happen to be honks for privates schools that just happen to have big athletic programs that said stud can shine in. Weird.

But I’m sure it’s all coincidental. The Catholic Church would never allow itself to be associated with shady behavior, let alone be complicit in it….

Well what the heck is Mt Michael doing wrong then? They haven’t done much since the Jamrog and Wemhoff glory days. 😡
Oh, they are trying to win! Last year they had a legit shot at State but did not get it done.

They had a basketball player come in this year from the SE US (can't remember the state). He was really good, didn't like the rules so he left and moved back home. He was not there for academics, that's for sure.

Here's Mount Michael's team this year ;) ......

BB-Varsity-IMG_1648.jpg

I have no doubt that some of the kids were local...but certainly not all of them...we were on the short end to them a few times during that time period...and that is always what has been said...it isn't anything new...everyone knew they were recruiting and controlling their enrollment....
“We were on the short end…”

”what has always been said”

Oh ok so it must be true then because its always been said by losers like you getting your asses kicked.

Parental involvement- to some degree helps. Participation- maybe for bigger sports such as football. But forcing little Johnny to get off the video games and go play golf does not equal state championships.

Winning championships is more about Jimmy's and Joe's. Private schools are able to recruit and hand pick their students/athletes, which is huge, giving them free/reduced tuition if needed.

Hell, even on a bigger scale in Class B...Skutt has over 76 state championships + 44 runner ups **IN THE LAST DECADE**! That's not because of forced participation or parental involvement. And you can bet they are doing whatever is necessary to stay in Class B if possible.
Theres that saying again….”hand pick”. So absurd.

“You can bet they are doing whatever is necessary”

Quite a statement, one not based in fact just “you can bet hehehe because I think so therefore it is”

Up to you clown shoes. Proof of your BS claims.
it is the same curriculum. They are getting the same education.

You know why it looks different? Because a larger % of parents that are paying for HS will get on their kids ass about their grades.

Math at Amherst is the same as math at a private school.

I remember Sacred Heart recruited a kid from freaking Chicago one year to win a state basketball championship. I believe this was in the early 2000s. Don't tell me they didn't recruit back in the day.
I heard once a public school reecruited a girls basketball player from another country. They only wanted an exchange student who played international basketball.

it is the same curriculum. They are getting the same education.

You know why it looks different? Because a larger % of parents that are paying for HS will get on their kids ass about their grades.

Math at Amherst is the same as math at a private school.
Theres a theology aspect.

Again I realize anti-parochial school people dont understand it so they think no parents would actually care about that, but they do.

Account NumberService Date

They have plenty of room for growth. The prestige of Prep and Marian is what will keep skutt from class a
If you know Skutt then you will know who Mike
McMahon is. He and I were good friends. I will trust what the man told me from day one.

Last edited:

Oh ok so it must be true then because its always been said by losers like you getting your asses kicked.
So I am a loser for calling FCSH out for recruiting...got it...thanks for letting me know.

Not disagreeing on the getting our asses kicked though.

They have plenty of room for growth. The prestige of Prep and Marian is what will keep skutt from class a
They enjoy the size they are and that is their desire to stay there. A student certainly gets a different experience with 500-600 students as opposed to 2000. Regardless of Skutt's ability to grow, they don't want to.

It is a bit like other schools accusing the Huskers of giving "county scholarships".

When people say recruiting I think of a coach reaching out to kids and asking them to come to a school. For private schools it is probably a bit more like individuals reaching out to the school and the school saying welcome aboard.

I am sure some private schools actively recruit, but isn't as common as some would like to believe.

Account NumberService Date

If you know Skutt then you will know who Mike
McMahon is. He and I were good friends. I will trust what the man told me from day one.
I don't know him personally, but I do know a couple of teachers and coaches there. I'm sure there are multiple reasons, and probably some truth to every single one of them. At the end of the day, Prep runs the parochial world in Omaha, and no one is going to rob them of the class A spotlight. On another note, I will say it was fun watching Gretna steamroll Skutt in football this year.

Why should I trust you? And what schools, specifically?

Did Pius keep numbers down to keep in class B, or did they want to move up to A? Careful how you answer, I know first hand.
Can't speak about pius. I know about several other schools that we used to intertwine with. They were normally at the upper end of their class size d2,d1,c2,c1 and NEVER moved over or under like other schools consistently on the bubble because of class size fluctuations by birthrate or moving in or out of school district. They pick the enrollment number they want and that's where they stay.

If you're not an up and coming stud, you better be nervous because your enrollment slot could be in jeopardy

You are 100% correct heck even several priests said the same thing, they don’t recruit as much as controlling the enrollment. Fall City sacred hearts a classic example
Yep.
You take in approximately what you graduate or change. Have a waiting list. Once you know where numbers for classification are, you take whatever number you need to get close to maximum enrollment without moving up a class.

You are 100% correct heck even several priests said the same thing, they don’t recruit as much as controlling the enrollment. Fall City sacred hearts a classic example
Just how many people do you think live in the Falls City area? It's not exactly the Omaha metro with endless people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT