ADVERTISEMENT

State basketball tournament

Who’s the highest rated boy of any grade playing in the tournament not already committed to a P5 school, Dotzler? Matt A. stay back to watch?

not that Im against it, but why? Because they can recruit? Most schools recruit these days.
I think it's more that while recruiting they can control their enrollment too. Keeping them at lower classifications while getting the better athletes. As opposed to public schools having to accept any student in their school district.

I think it's more that while recruiting they can control their enrollment too. Keeping them at lower classifications while getting the better athletes. As opposed to public schools having to accept any student in their school district.
they really dont though. They only have to accept those within their home school zone. Everything else is based on availability. So lets use Omaha Central as an (really bad) example. They only have to accept kids within their home zone. If my kid wanted to go there, it would only be based on open availability. So theorhetically, if OPS wanted them to be Class B, they could just restrict the number of out of zone kids they let in.

I say Omaha Central is a bad example, as I think they are one of the largest schools in the state.

they really dont though. They only have to accept those within their home school zone. Everything else is based on availability. So lets use Omaha Central as an (really bad) example. They only have to accept kids within their home zone. If my kid wanted to go there, it would only be based on open availability. So theorhetically, if OPS wanted them to be Class B, they could just restrict the number of out of zone kids they let in.

I say Omaha Central is a bad example, as I think they are one of the largest schools in the state.
I agree with what you're saying concerning the metro schools. The bigger problem is with smaller towns like Kearney, Hastings, Norfolk, GI, Columbus and especially smaller towns than those where they have both public and parochial/private schools. The private schools can recruit the kids they want, keep their numbers down and let the public schools get the rest. In the small towns you go to school in your school district or opt in to a school out of your district.

That's why a lot of these smaller parochial/private schools are perennial powers across multiple sports. They try to get the best kids they can, while keeping enrollment down, yet are good enough to play in a higher class than what they are.

I agree with what you're saying concerning the metro schools. The bigger problem is with smaller towns like Kearney, Hastings, Norfolk, GI, Columbus and especially smaller towns than those where they have both public and parochial/private schools. The private schools can recruit the kids they want, keep their numbers down and let the public schools get the rest. In the small towns you go to school in your school district or opt in to a school out of your district.

That's why a lot of these smaller parochial/private schools are perennial powers across multiple sports. They try to get the best kids they can, while keeping enrollment down, yet are good enough to play in a higher class than what they are.
But why would they turn away paying customers to keep numbers down?

not that Im against it, but why? Because they can recruit? Most schools recruit these days.

It's being able to recruit and also not having to take all the other students, including all the special-needs students. So private schools have a higher percentage of athletes in their enrollment. Public schools have to accept everyone.

Do you honest think it's fair for Falls City Sacred Heart and Lincoln Parkview Christian to be in the same class as Hyannis and Wynot, which are towns of less than 200 people? For North Platte St Pat's to be in the same class as Loomis, population 400? Grand Island Catholic in the same class as Amherst, population 250?

Skutt and Roncalli both won by about 25 points in semifinal games today....why don't they step up to class A and play against other Omaha schools, instead of dominating small-town public schools?

The private schools can recruit the kids they want, keep their numbers down and let the public schools get the rest
So private schools are deliberately suppressing enrollment and intentionally foregoing hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual tuition revenue in the hope that their athletic team can achieve a competitive advantage? Lay off the weed for a while.

You know that public schools can "recruit" too, right?

Name one thing private schools offer that public schools don't.

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
It's being able to recruit and also not having to take all the other students, including all the special-needs students. So private schools have a higher percentage of athletes in their enrollment. Public schools have to accept everyone.

Do you honest think it's fair for Falls City Sacred Heart and Lincoln Parkview Christian to be in the same class as Hyannis and Wynot, which are towns of less than 200 people? For North Platte St Pat's to be in the same class as Loomis, population 400? Grand Island Catholic in the same class as Amherst, population 250?

Skutt and Roncalli both won by about 25 points in semifinal games today....why don't they step up to class A and play against other Omaha schools, instead of dominating small-town public schools?
Have you seen the size of their buildings?

Reactions: coach-ed
You know that public schools can "recruit" too, right?

Name one thing private schools offer that public schools don't.

You telling me Norfolk Catholic doesn't offer a better high school education and athletics opportunity in Class C2 Nebraska than Amherst, Wakefield, and Freeman?

Of course private schools recruit students. It is an absolute necessity because private institutions are not financially supported or funded by state government They need students to enroll and pay tuition and other fees so that, along with fundraising, they can maintain financial viability. .Anyone objecting to such a practice is an idiot.

Last edited:
When you say “most” I’m assuming that you’re talking about Omaha/Lincoln metro and ignoring the rest of the state.

You telling me Norfolk Catholic doesn't offer a better high school education and athletics opportunity in Class C2 Nebraska than Amherst, Wakefield, and Freeman?
The people at Norfolk Catholic would say they provide a better High School education. From what I know, it’s not a given.

I spent a few years with an organization that provided scholarships to all three schools in Norfolk. There was nothing that stood out with Norfolk Catholic’s curriculum.

The people at Norfolk Catholic would say they provide a better High School education. From what I know, it’s not a given.

I spent a few years with an organization that provided scholarships to all three schools in Norfolk. There was nothing that stood out with Norfolk Catholic’s curriculum.

Would you say it is significantly better than Amherst High School?

You are 100% correct heck even several priests said the same thing, they don’t recruit as much as controlling the enrollment. Fall City sacred hearts a classic example

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
Amherst playing Grand Island CC in Class C2 at State is fair to you?

Maybe I' wrong, but I highly doubt anybody from Kearney is willingly travelling to Amherst to attend high school.
This is exactly why Amherst is C2. They're pulling in some kids from Kearney.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Another reason why private schools in the smaller classes have built in advantages is money. They can afford more lessons, supplements, equipment, etc.

As others stated, this doesn't have much effect on Omaha/Lincoln Class A schools however...

Last edited:

Your hypothetical projection is false. Just because you brainstorm reasons why rhey are successful or parrot talking points you heard doesnt mean this actually happens. Because it doesnt. “Control their enrollment” and keep out the unathletic…my goodness what an absolute crock.

Dont say things you dont actually know. Thats quite an accusation

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT