ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor has it

If that list, this time next year we will be looking at a new list for all coaches.

The good
-Mickey would be a great Hire
-I like Ron but understand he why others don’t like him.
- Snyder should be able to improve the ST unit

the bad
-Garrison was bad when he was here and we 2 line coaches then… Huskers out rushed NC State the last 2 years, their QBs have been sacked a ton, and they play in weaker conference. This would be a heartbreaking hire. Nepotism is only ok if we hire quality coaches. I mean no ill will toward John, he’s just not a good coach. He has some good qualities but as a whole, he’s just not great.

Makes no sense but ok
-Harrell does he know anything about a zone read offense? And If we plan to change the offensive style, to more of a pass pro style, how long did Trev tell Frost he had? That’s at least a 2 to 3 year change.
Frost's offense hasn't worked. I am assuming he was told to bring in an OC with an offense that can work in the Big 10 and then to leave him alone.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Frost's offense hasn't worked. I am assuming he was told to bring in an OC with an offense that can work in the Big 10 and then to leave him alone.
Bring in an OC who has a QB that can run Frost's style of offense. Jimmies and Joes. Mario was terrible at QB evaluation and recruiting IMO. The guy Mario wanted this cycle Frost wouldn't let commit. A spread option offense will work at NU. You CAN use a fullback with a spread option.

Bring in an OC who has a QB that can run Frost's style of offense. Jimmies and Joes. Mario was terrible at QB evaluation and recruiting IMO. The guy Mario wanted this cycle Frost wouldn't let commit. A spread option offense will work at NU. You CAN use a fullback with a spread option.
Who was that? I don't follow recruiting closely these days.

Who was that? I don't follow recruiting closely these days.
Mooney. Committed to Vandy after Frost offered an Iowa QB a scholarship supposedly. I think it was after they fired Mario. I don't know if the new QB scholarship offer is tied to the new OC or not. The Ankeny Iowa kid is a 6-5 225 lb pro style 5.7 3star QB with offers from Iowa, ISU, WI, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hford

Frost's offense requires way too much QB running. Smothers carried the ball 24 times against Iowa. He'll be lucky to stay healthy after one or two games running the ball that much. Adrian is a bigger dude and he's still been injured and banged up every year.

Need an offense wear we pound it with the running backs, and mix it up with play action passing, and utilizing the tight ends a lot.

And exactly who is Jim in MN? I'll believe it when I see if announced officially. Looks a little too much like a Minnesota fan trolling the Huskers.
See him on Twitter a lot but thats about it. I wouldn't take anything from it, would be nice if true IMO.

I do like Chad Morris
read his wikipedia page. He went from the golden boy OC at Clemson to a high school head coach in a few short years. After getting fired by Arkansas, Malzahn hired him only to have Malzahn fired by Auburn a few days later. Before taking the Arkansas job he was one of the 2 highest paid OCs in the country making over a million/year.

There is no way Nebraska landed Chad Morris.

I thought Morris was one of the best OC’s in the game. Has that changed? Seems too good to be true.

Frost's offense requires way too much QB running. Smothers carried the ball 24 times against Iowa. He'll be lucky to stay healthy after one or two games running the ball that much. Adrian is a bigger dude and he's still been injured and banged up every year.

Need an offense wear we pound it with the running backs, and mix it up with play action passing, and utilizing the tight ends a lot.
I keep hearing that but we ran the ball all the time with Tom's offense and Franks, and then Bo's. Somebody gave us the numbers a year or two ago but at UCF Frost's QBs didn't run the ball all that much. Most of their runs were scrambles and not designed QB runs there IF I remember correctly. Frost is recruiting bigger pro style QBs with decent athleticism now it appears.

I thought Morris was one of the best OC’s in the game. Has that changed? Seems too good to be true.
He's a high school coach in Texas right now. I would say he's available at the right price. His buyout from Arkansas is probably paid off now so he might want a pay raise.

Reactions: headcard
He's a high school coach in Texas right now. I would say he's available at the right price. His buyout from Arkansas is probably paid off now so he might want a pay raise.

Got to think think his son would follow.

Got to think think his son would follow.
I have no idea what position his son plays or if he's any good. Morris signed a 6 year 20 million dollar contract with Arkansas and lasted less than 2 years. They were terrible. Then Malzahn hires him in early December to be his OC at Auburn and a few days later Auburn cans Malzahn. Wow. I suspect after that little toe stubber he decided to take his buyout from Auburn and go back home to Texas for a little while and chill out. The guy is a really smart dude and clearly had success as Clemson's OC.

I have no idea what position his son plays or if he's any good. Morris signed a 6 year 20 million dollar contract with Arkansas and lasted less than 2 years. They were terrible. Then Malzahn hires him in early December to be his OC at Auburn and a few days later Auburn cans Malzahn. Wow. I suspect after that little toe stubber he decided to take his buyout from Auburn and go back home to Texas for a little while and chill out. The guy is a really smart dude and clearly had success as Clemson's OC.
I don't remember him much at Arkansas but at Clemson and SMU he was running some interesting stuff on offense.

Reactions: BleedRed78
EDIT: his son is in fact a QB who was a "high 3 star". He is at TCU behind Max Duggan. TCU has a glut of QBs it looks like.
IMHO, his son is better than Duggan. I'm surprised Duggan started again after he came back from injury. Morris has way more upside than Duggan, too. Would be interesting to see if he'd stay with Dykes being the new head coach.

If that list, this time next year we will be looking at a new list for all coaches.

The good
-Mickey would be a great Hire
-I like Ron but understand he why others don’t like him.
- Snyder should be able to improve the ST unit

the bad
-Garrison was bad when he was here and we 2 line coaches then… Huskers out rushed NC State the last 2 years, their QBs have been sacked a ton, and they play in weaker conference. This would be a heartbreaking hire. Nepotism is only ok if we hire quality coaches. I mean no ill will toward John, he’s just not a good coach. He has some good qualities but as a whole, he’s just not great.

Makes no sense but ok
-Harrell does he know anything about a zone read offense? And If we plan to change the offensive style, to more of a pass pro style, how long did Trev tell Frost he had? That’s at least a 2 to 3 year change.
This is pretty much how I'm seeing that list.

Hiring ex players, more often than not doesn't usually work very well. People that can 'naturally do it', aren't usually good at teaching it, and the reverse is also true, and is why the best teachers can't actually do what the "naturals" can. It's a weird dichotomy, but I see this all the time in the music industry.

With this list, Special teams will probably make a big improvement, and it sure as hell needs to.

Offensively, those names don't make much sense to me.

An air raid man makes no sense. We don't need a different offense, we need to be better at running the offense we already have.
An air raid man makes no sense. We don't need a different offense, we need to be better at running the offense we already have.
I agree. Yet consider this: Osborne ran a 55/45 balanced pass centered offense for most of the 1970's. He switched to the triple option thereafter. If a dude is brilliant, he'll run what the athleticism of his skill players dictates. Just because a dude ran air raid as a player and is running it now doesn't mean it's a given that the air raid/run and shoot concepts would be in play at a different school. The guy played for a damn pirate, so why should we predict anything at this point.
PS Did you all know there is a convention in CA every year for dudes who collect My Little Pony? See, how the hell could anyone predict that a dude who liked Teddy Ruxpin growing up would say a bunch of shit about the Bronies Convention? Case in point.

I agree. Yet consider this: Osborne ran a 55/45 balanced pass centered offense for most of the 1970's. He switched to the triple option thereafter. If a dude is brilliant, he'll run what the athleticism of his skill players dictates. Just because a dude ran air raid as a player and is running it now doesn't mean it's a given that the air raid/run and shoot concepts would be in play at a different school. The guy played for a damn pirate, so why should we predict anything at this point.
PS Did you all know there is a convention in CA every year for dudes who collect My Little Pony? See, how the hell could anyone predict that a dude who liked Teddy Ruxpin growing up would say a bunch of shit about the Bronies Convention? Case in point.
1970 Nebraska
22.9 pass attempts per game
57.1 rush attempts per game

23.1 pass attempts pg
57.2 rush attempts pg

27.7 pass attempts pg
56.4 rush attempts pg

21.3 pass attempts pg
56.4 rush attempts pg

18.6 pass attempts pg
55.5 rush attempts pg

20.5 pass attempts pg
62.4 rush attempts pg

23.5 pass attempts pg
52.2 rush attempts pg

17.4 pass attempts pg
58.9 rush attempts pg

19.1 pass attempts pg
62.7 rush attempts pg

17.2 pass attempts pg
63 rush attempts pg

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/nebraska/1969.html

all on sports reference. I started at 1970 but here is 1969 where Osborne attempted more passes per game than any year he called plays here and he averaged 29.6 pass attempts per game compared to 53.3 rush attempts per game. In his most pass happy year he ran the ball 64 percent of the time. Nowhere was he at a 55/45 clip. He did pass more in the 70s, but not like people claim.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Graham Harrell? So we're going to the Air Raid offense? I hope not.

Also, how can we hire 5 coaches if we only have 4 openings? We'd have to get rid of Dawson or Ruud.
I agree. Dawson or Ruud might have a different role? I'll believe it when I see it with this list as well, just had heard some grumblings about it. I guess I'm not all that excited about it.

Just like when Bo was here (with the possible exception of Marvin Sanders).
I'll still never forget seeing Ron Brown at Prairie Life Fitness not long after the staff changes, circa 2004-5. He was doing one-arm curls, holding a dumbell in one hand, and holding a bible in the other. I walked up to him and said, "Now that's some serious multitasking you're doing there, buddy." 😆

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT