ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the Roster

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
I haven't paid much attention in about a month, but thoughts on what we need going into next year?

QB - The room is super young and I still feel like we need a 1 year guy to fill the void while we develop DR or DK
RB - We need at least 2. EJ showed he belongs, but after that we have nothing. Rahmir is good when healthy, but still haven't had a complete back in a long ass time.
TE - Should be fine
WR - Probably need 1 to 2.
OL - Can always use a serviceable tackle.

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

Thoughts? Like I said I'm out of the loop and more worried about our Offense because it was so god damned bad. I feel like the D will function no matter what next year even if we are still building and being a little shy.

Lol, we signed way too many 5.5 3 star freshman to even think about those numbers.

Lol, we signed way too many 5.5 3 star freshman to even think about those numbers.
we took guys evaluated by Rhule’s staff that will replace guys who after last spring and fall haven’t shown they can play at Nebraska. I don’t care if they’re 5.5 3 star guys. Rhule has shown that he can find NFL talent from undervalued high schoolers.

we took guys evaluated by Rhule’s staff that will replace guys who after last spring and fall haven’t shown they can play at Nebraska. I don’t care if they’re 5.5 3 star guys. Rhule has shown that he can find NFL talent from undervalued high schoolers.
I've got that toolbox on ignore, but you are correct. I think we will see a small exodus after spring ball. Our offense still needs a bunch of help. It looks bright down the road, but in the now.... We need help bad. RB for me is a must get and I really think we need a 1 year QB. Maybe Raiola can go year one, but it just doesn't happen that much.

I've got that toolbox on ignore, but you are correct. I think we will see a small exodus after spring ball. Our offense still needs a bunch of help. It looks bright down the road, but in the now.... We need help bad. RB for me is a must get and I really think we need a 1 year QB. Maybe Raiola can go year one, but it just doesn't happen that much.
The more guys you cycle through the more guys you’re going to find who can play. Bama does it with 4 star recruits. We’re not to that point yet but you can find plenty of 3 star guys who can play at a high level IF you start with guys with the right physical traits.

I think IF we take a portal QB it has to be an experienced guy willing to come in as a NIL walk on backup. Maybe you can get a guy with one year left who realizes he isn’t going to the NFL who wants a payday. Maybe a D2 or FCS guy who wants to coach someday. Rhule’s record of developing young coaches might help.

I haven't paid much attention in about a month, but thoughts on what we need going into next year?

QB - The room is super young and I still feel like we need a 1 year guy to fill the void while we develop DR or DK
RB - We need at least 2. EJ showed he belongs, but after that we have nothing. Rahmir is good when healthy, but still haven't had a complete back in a long ass time.
TE - Should be fine

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

Thoughts? Like I said I'm out of the loop and more worried about our Offense because it was so god damned bad. I feel like the D will function no matter what next year even if we are still building and being a little shy.
Qb room is what it is at this point IMO
Rb - wish we could find an experienced guy but looks like they zeroed in on the Oregon transfer.
WR - looks like they want one
TE - nothing
OL- haven't seen anything and we took a bunch in this class. Have to think they roll with what we have.

DL - pretty good here, hard to find a young NT in the portal, which is the main need.
LB - take 1 high impact guy like the Idaho kid. I wouldn't mind another.
CB- took the FCS kid. I would take a high end guy if he was available
S - Buford and Singleton are back but both have been hurt. Could take another one depending on how Cooper feels about his young guys.

TE - Should be fine

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

RB #1 for me

TE - Should be fine

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

It's gonna be hard to get an older QB to come in with a high probability of carrying a clipboard for a true freshman. NU will need attrition in order to make the current numbers work, so I wouldn't expect an overage of portal signees. I'd prioritize RB, LB (non-JACK) and WR in that order.

If you oversign by 15 or so every year and cut dead weight does it really matter? If a player doesn't pan out Rhule has shown so far he is ok replacing them and finding them a new home.

I do think the end goal is, and should be, to recruit higher caliber players but lets be honest, we are not going to do that right now at a large scale until we start winning and showing recruits they can develop into NFL prospects. Neither of which we have done of late. It is a process.

If you oversign by 15 or so every year and cut dead weight does it really matter? If a player doesn't pan out Rhule has shown so far he is ok replacing them and finding them a new home.

I do think the end goal is, and should be, to recruit higher caliber players but lets be honest, we are not going to do that right now at a large scale until we start winning and showing recruits they can develop into NFL prospects. Neither of which we have done of late. It is a process.
^^^^^^

Reactions: leodisflowers
It's gonna be hard to get an older QB to come in with a high probability of carrying a clipboard for a true freshman. NU will need attrition in order to make the current numbers work, so I wouldn't expect an overage of portal signees. I'd prioritize RB, LB (non-JACK) and WR in that order.
Agree. We aren't getting some awesome, experienced qb from the portal. No reason for that guy to likely sit on the bench. We set our future with DR and DK and that is likely to scare off really qbs until 2026. If they land that 2025 Iowa qb they want, then props to them.

I would put a big-time cb as a need too but we have a bunch of promising young cb's so probably not a need. Nation, Bootle, Buford...

TE - Should be fine

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

We have 2 good RBs coming off injury. RB isn't even on the radar now. Maybe a surprise, but probably not.

1-2 WR is a given

QB - You're looking for a unicorn. A good QB who's OK sitting behind the best Freshman QB in the country and one who has experience and can play wildcat. Never going to happen.

• Wow
Reactions: king_kong_
We have 2 good RBs coming off injury. RB isn't even on the radar now. Maybe a surprise, but probably not.

1-2 WR is a given

QB - You're looking for a unicorn. A good QB who's OK sitting behind the best Freshman QB in the country and one who has experience and can play wildcat. Never going to happen.
Rahmir has been playing at NU for 5 years and has totaled less than 1,000 scrimmage yards

Gabe has never run for 200 yards in a single season

"good"?

Agree. We aren't getting some awesome, experienced qb from the portal. No reason for that guy to likely sit on the bench. We set our future with DR and DK and that is likely to scare off really qbs until 2026. If they land that 2025 Iowa qb they want, then props to them.

I would put a big-time cb as a need too but we have a bunch of promising young cb's so probably not a need. Nation, Bootle, Buford...
Bootle would have taken the snaps Lynum got had he not got inured.

1-2 WR is a given

While Gabe and rhamir have shown flashes, I would NOT count them as good because they haven't proved they can stay healthy. They're not 25-30 carry a game type guy. That's what I want. We can't have qbs that get more carries than rb

we have a ton of dead weight on the roster

if we have a chance to land better, we should (and I believe will) take it

could add something like 35 guys this year after doing the same last year

efficient roster turnover - 2/3 of the team are now Rhule guys
i agree because if you cant even sniff special teams no way your going to crack 3 or 4 deep

Reactions: king_kong_

1-2 WR is a given

If we don’t get another running back, it’s a big fail imo

TE - Should be fine

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

I don’t see us getting a QB. A guy that has experience but wants to come mentor and not be the starter probably does not exist. That is, unless he knows he’s not going pro and gets a nice chunk of NIL change thrown at him.
Definitely need a RB or 2. Hoping for the Oregon RB.
WR - would like a couple talented, experienced guys, but at least we seem to have young talent if we don’t pick up any.
Always want linemen.
We could probably use another LB or 2, but with Tony White and the flexibility of the 3-3-5, I think we have enough guys to move around and still be good.

While Gabe and rhamir have shown flashes, I would NOT count them as good because they haven't proved they can stay healthy. They're not 25-30 carry a game type guy. That's what I want. We can't have qbs that get more carries than rb
25-30 carry guys are REALLY rare now with the offenses they run these days. Gordon from Ok. State is seen as this years best back and he had 20 per game. No one had 30 carries per game this season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I mean, since we are rolling with Dylan and Danny, then I guess why get another QB? I think only a Will Howard level guy would work but if not then better to get our Frosh QBs the reps. I haven’t heard a single bit on QBs so assume we are done.

Reactions: Laner2
Yep. I like Rahmir, but he isn't an every down back. I've just never been on the Gabe train. Runs hard, but doesn't have good acceleration or vision. I long for the days of a back that has power, acceleration, speed, and vision. We need to Omaha metro to start producing some RB's again. Clinton, Damon, Calvin, Leodis, etc..

Attrition doesn't always come from the places you want it, and we'll probably see that. Unless you can identify all the guys you don’t think are deserving and want replaced?

We already turned down two 1 year QB's. You're living in fantasyland.

TE - Should be fine

DL - Good?
LB - 1 to 2
S - Good?
CB - 1?

I don't think Raiola came here to be "developed" He wants/plans to start from day one.

Attrition doesn't always come from the places you want it, and we'll probably see that. Unless you can identify all the guys you don’t think are deserving and want replaced?
Guys on the 2 deep aren’t leaving because we signed a 5.5 3 star unless that true freshman beats him out. Your premise that signing 3 star high schoolers will push out guys we can’t afford to lose makes zero sense.

The more guys you cycle through the more guys you’re going to find who can play. Bama does it with 4 star recruits. We’re not to that point yet but you can find plenty of 3 star guys who can play at a high level IF you start with guys with the right physical traits.

I think IF we take a portal QB it has to be an experienced guy willing to come in as a NIL walk on backup. Maybe you can get a guy with one year left who realizes he isn’t going to the NFL who wants a payday. Maybe a D2 or FCS guy who wants to coach someday. Rhule’s record of developing young coaches might help.
That can work if you land #1 recruiting classes year after year. We're nowhere close to that, and no, ten 5.5 3 stars aren't going to cut it.

1-2 WR is a given

We do not have 2 good backs coming off injury. We need RB's bad. I do agree that the QB situation is a little tough, but I see another 5 to 6 win season again and a lot of pissed off people if DR happens to not be the 5 star he is rated. It could go the opposite way, but Rhule has always stressed competition and it might be worth chasing a 1 year guy to at least come in and compete. Because of injury and talent we played 3 QB's last year and it could have been more if another injury would have happened. Right now our QB room is a lot of hype and youth. Would be nice to just have a steady eddy to be in the room. I haven't heard much, but Casey T kind of fits that mold if he were to come back. Then maybe he stays as a grad asst. Who knows.

1-2 WR is a given

Then why bring in Dowdell. Guarantee they are looking.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We already turned down two 1 year QB's. You're living in fantasyland.
A 1 year guy we might get now isn’t going to be a former starter at tOSU. Different situation completely. Do you even think before you post or are you just trolling?

I love how you still think we worried about scholarship numbers. A so-called expert, and you are the only one paying attention who thinks we are limited by scholarships.
Yes, I am the expert and most of the deadweight on the roster is the ten 5.5 3 stars we just signed. Unless you can identify enough of those guys on the roster you think are deadweight and gets us to the scholarship limit, please do.

Last edited:
That can work if you land #1 recruiting classes year after year. We're nowhere close to that, and no, ten 5.5 3 stars aren't going to cut it.
So we’re supposed to keep mid 3 stars on the roster who clearly aren’t cutting it then? Damn man use some logic. The guy we can’t afford to keep on the roster is a Frost 3 or 4 star recruit who clearly isn’t going to play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT