ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out the Roster

If you oversign by 15 or so every year and cut dead weight does it really matter? If a player doesn't pan out Rhule has shown so far he is ok replacing them and finding them a new home.

I do think the end goal is, and should be, to recruit higher caliber players but lets be honest, we are not going to do that right now at a large scale until we start winning and showing recruits they can develop into NFL prospects. Neither of which we have done of late. It is a process.
Those ten 5.5 3 star guys are the deadweight...

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I don’t see us getting a QB. A guy that has experience but wants to come mentor and not be the starter probably does not exist. That is, unless he knows he’s not going pro and gets a nice chunk of NIL change thrown at him.
Definitely need a RB or 2. Hoping for the Oregon RB.
WR - would like a couple talented, experienced guys, but at least we seem to have young talent if we don’t pick up any.
Always want linemen.
We could probably use another LB or 2, but with Tony White and the flexibility of the 3-3-5, I think we have enough guys to move around and still be good.
Does T Gebbia have another year of eligibility?

Guys on the 2 deep aren’t leaving because we signed a 5.5 3 star unless that true freshman beats him out. Your premise that signing 3 star high schoolers will push out guys we can’t afford to lose makes zero sense.
Okay, then identify those guys we can push out. Somehow I'm the bad guy because I'm defending our roster from those who demand attrition and can't even identify by name who they want gone??

We do not have 2 good backs coming off injury. We need RB's bad. I do agree that the QB situation is a little tough, but I see another 5 to 6 win season again and a lot of pissed off people if DR happens to not be the 5 star he is rated. It could go the opposite way, but Rhule has always stressed competition and it might be worth chasing a 1 year guy to at least come in and compete. Because of injury and talent we played 3 QB's last year and it could have been more if another injury would have happened. Right now our QB room is a lot of hype and youth. Would be nice to just have a steady eddy to be in the room. I haven't heard much, but Casey T kind of fits that mold if he were to come back. Then maybe he stays as a grad asst. Who knows.
We already turned him down.

Okay, then identify those guys we can push out. Somehow I'm the bad guy because I'm defending our roster from those who demand attrition and can't even identify by name who they want gone??
That’s Rhule’s Job. When he’s taking high school guys he has said repeatedly that he won’t offer a guy who doesn’t have NFL measurables. He wants verified speed and athleticism. He knows after a spring and fall camp who is replaceable. This is what bigtime roster management looks like. No more 5 year seniors on the roster as 3rd teamers. You get a couple of camps to show your potential.

That’s Rhule’s Job. When he’s taking high school guys he has said repeatedly that he won’t offer a guy who doesn’t have NFL measurables. He wants verified speed and athleticism. He knows after a spring and fall camp who is replaceable. This is what bigtime roster management looks like. No more 5 year seniors on the roster as 3rd teamers. You get a couple of camps to show your potential.
Identify those guys who are 5th year seniors who are 3rd teamers? They either A. Don't exist, B. Were already let go, or C. Are already guaranteed to come back.

Yes, I am the expert and most of the deadweight on the roster is the ten 5.5 3 stars we just signed. Unless you can identify enough of those guys on the roster you think are deadweight and gets us to the scholarship limit, please do.
we're at 94 currently, so here are 9 for you:

IGC
D'Andre Barnes
Ru'Quan Buckley
Jacob Hood
Mason Goldman
Rahmir Stewart
Corey Collier
Rahmir Johnson
Kaine Williams

RB #1 for me

Agree with needing an impact RB for next year. Watching the CFB playoff games, and other bowl games, it is clear that a quality RB complements the other offensive positions. Getting 4 yards on a designed running play by quickly hitting the hole instead of only getting no gain (or 1-2 yards) makes the OL look better. Keeps the offense in much more manageable down and distance, which takes a ton of pressure off the QB/WRs. Having more 3rd and 3 (or less) minimizes the need to force plays like they do on 3rd and long all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
we're at 94 currently, so here are 9 for you:

IGC
D'Andre Barnes
Ru'Quan Buckley
Jacob Hood
Mason Goldman
Rahmir Stewart
Corey Collier
Rahmir Johnson
Kaine Williams
We'll probably take at least 2 more, and even this list isn't without its problems. As of this moment, IGC would be starting. Rahmir Johnson would be getting a lot of PT and I don't think he's leaving. We may have a different RB leave we wouldn't want, however. Buckley is the only decent backup NT option we have. I'll agree the rest of the guys haven't really shown anything yet, but who knows how the staff feels about them.

Edit: Just looked it up, half these guys were true freshman this year. Don't know how it's a fair shake to say we should get rid of them when the only chance they've probably gotten is on the freshman scout team.

Last edited:
We'll probably take at least 2 more, and even this list isn't without its problems. As of this moment, IGC would be starting. Rahmir Johnson would be getting a lot of PT and I don't think he's leaving. We may have a different RB leave we wouldn't want, however. Buckley is the only decent backup NT option we have. I'll agree the rest of the guys haven't really shown anything yet, but who knows how the staff feels about them.
everything you typed here is wrong.

IGC stinks, he's finished
Rahmir's finished
not only is Buckley not "the only decent backup NT option we have", he's not even listed as a DL anymore.

2 more spots would also be easy to find.

Edit: Just looked it up, half these guys were true freshman this year. Don't know how it's a fair shake to say we should get rid of them when the only chance they've probably gotten is on the freshman scout team.
There are 9 guys listed as seniors on the "scholarship" chart provided by this site, that can all be moved from football scholarship to NIL, no questions asked. Another 5 listed as juniors that transferred into Nebraska or that were previous walk ons that can also be put on NIL because they aren't protected by the 4 year scholarship rule.

The fact that none of us really know who is on scholarship and who is walking on and getting NIL money in lieu of scholarship. So it is quite impossible to even have the conversation about how many scholarships we are over or what conversations have been had between 1890 and certain players.

I expect to see attrition after the spring without a doubt. Also without a doubt there will be 1 or 2 surprises.

since when has "fair" had anything to do with anything?

it's business, not personal

So, again, the internet is your friend and research is something that should be done instead of just making shit up.

2023 class, here is a list of the 5.5 3 stars

Brice Turner
WR

Bay City, TX

6'2"

12/6/22
SIGNED

Kwinten Ives

ATH

Palmyra, NJ

6'3"

12/11/22
SIGNED

Tristan Alvano

K

Omaha, NE

6'1"

12/16/22
SIGNED

Jaylen Lloyd

WR

Omaha, NE

6'1"

12/17/22
SIGNED

Jason Maciejczak

DT

Pierre, SD

6'4"

12/19/22
SIGNED

D'Andre Barnes

DB

Aurora, CO

6'0"

2/1/23
SIGNED

Jeremiah Charles

WR

Arlington, TX

6'2"

1/23/23

Here are the 2024
Jake Peters
OL

Cedar Falls, IA

6'3"

6/18/23
SIGNED

Braylen Prude

ATH

Pearland, TX

6'4"

6/18/23
SIGNED

Evan Taylor

DB

Waxhaw, NC

6'2"

6/19/23
SIGNED

Landen Davidson

OL

Broomfield, CO

6'4"

6/20/23
SIGNED

Donovan Jones

DB

Omaha, NE

6'1"

6/22/23
SIGNED

Rex Guthrie

DB

Littleton, CO

6'1"

6/26/23
SIGNED

Quinn Clark

WR

Bozeman, MT

6'5"

6/27/23
SIGNED

Eric Ingwerson

TE

Paillion, NE

6'7"

9/27/23
SIGNED

Kamdyn Koch

K

Westminster, MD

6'3"

6/11/23

That is 16 in total. Koch is a walk on so that it is down to 15. Of the 7 in the 2023 class 5 redshirted, 1 was the starting kicker and the other was the 3rd leading receiver in yardage, leader in average yard per catch and 2nd in touchdowns. That leaves 5 of this level of recruit from that class. I would assume the production of those 2 (5.5 3 stars) that played was better than the expected contribution.

Of the 8 in 2024 class, that fit @oldjar07 's criteria for whatever he is trying to describe with his arbitrary 5.5 3 stars, I would expect all 8 to redshirt and get a year to develop.

I wouldn't expect any of the 2023 players to be cycled out, and a couple of them, may get some time on the field as RS freshmen.

We should know by Thursday evening or Friday morning if there is anymore entries into the portal during this cycle. Deadline for non bowl teams was midnight last night. Then account for 2 days for the school to process. Worst case scenario is Thursday/Frida at Midnight.

But again, the next window will open up after spring, that is where the attrition will really take place. Players will have had 14 practices and a spring game to determine where and if they fit. Plus a semester for the other schools to poach and for Nebraska to poach some other players.

RB for me is a must get and I really think we need a 1 year QB. Maybe Raiola can go year one, but it just doesn't happen that much.
What really doesn't happen much is a losing program in desperate need of a QB signing the top QB in the nation. If everything goes according to plan, the kid is going to play right away. And he will play better than Jeff Simms. I guarantee it! :)

Now a second question is whether or not they will bring in a journeyman type who would serve as a high floor backup. Maybe a grad transfer as a walk-on with a decent NIL deal. We'll see on that. There are over 2000 kids in the portal right now and the list is growing. But I think they'll see what happens during spring ball and go from there. If Haarberg shows improvement, he would be exactly the kid of player we are talking about. Of course, people on here would bitch about it but what else is new?

You are 5 years behind the times. Guys like Rahmir and IGC probably aren't even on scholarship. Guys who have injury histories or older minor contributors are likely just on NIL. They don't count against anything.

So, again, the internet is your friend and research is something that should be done instead of just making shit up.

That is 16 in total. Koch is a walk on so that it is down to 15. Of the 7 in the 2023 class 5 redshirted, 1 was the starting kicker and the other was the 3rd leading receiver in yardage, leader in average yard per catch and 2nd in touchdowns. That leaves 5 of this level of recruit from that class. I would assume the production of those 2 (5.5 3 stars) that played was better than the expected contribution.

Of the 8 in 2024 class, that fit @oldjar07 's criteria for whatever he is trying to describe with his arbitrary 5.5 3 stars, I would expect all 8 to redshirt and get a year to develop.

I wouldn't expect any of the 2023 players to be cycled out, and a couple of them, may get some time on the field as RS freshmen.
To expand further, 3 of those from the 2023 list are major track athletes. We have already hit on Lloyd IMO. You hit on one more and you are talking some unbelievable speed for a team that has consistently lacked athletes IMO.

The Taylor kid had a major injury this fall and he did not sign a letter of intent. He's coming on a NIL deal just like Koch. And I believe there was at least one other kid on our commitment list who didn't sign a letter of intent, but I can't remember for sure who that was. And I agree 100% that they are not cycling out any of the freshmen-- if a kid leaves it will be on his own or for off the field issues.

You are 5 years behind the times. Guys like Rahmir and IGC probably aren't even on scholarship. Guys who have injury histories or older minor contributors are likely just on NIL. They don't count against anything.
Going forward, if a kid has already graduated, it's a good bet that they will not be on scholarship. Only the best players will retain a scholarship in that situation.

The Taylor kid had a major injury this fall and he did not sign a letter of intent. He's coming on a NIL deal just like Koch. And I believe there was at least one other kid on our commitment list who didn't sign a letter of intent, but I can't remember for sure who that was. And I agree 100% that they are not cycling out any of the freshmen-- if a kid leaves it will be on his own or for off the field issues.
The coaches talked about Taylor on the signing day stuff and he is listed as signed on everything I have seen. He is also coming in in January to continue his rehab. Ruggerolli, the OL from Las Vegas is the other player besides Koch that didn't sign anything.

I could be wrong about Taylor, but believe he did sign an NLI.

The coaches talked about Taylor on the signing day stuff and he is listed as signed on everything I have seen. He is also coming in in January to continue his rehab. Ruggerolli, the OL from Las Vegas is the other player besides Koch that didn't sign anything.

I could be wrong about Taylor, but believe he did sign an NLI.
It wasn't talked about publicly. Koch, Taylor and yes, the Vegas kid as well. So three, maybe four-- but I would like to hear it from a second source before I give out a name. In any event, it will be interesting to see what happens if these high priority walkons make it. Will they get a scholarship or just get more NIL, or both?

The more guys you cycle through the more guys you’re going to find who can play. Bama does it with 4 star recruits. We’re not to that point yet but you can find plenty of 3 star guys who can play at a high level IF you start with guys with the right physical traits.

I think IF we take a portal QB it has to be an experienced guy willing to come in as a NIL walk on backup. Maybe you can get a guy with one year left who realizes he isn’t going to the NFL who wants a payday. Maybe a D2 or FCS guy who wants to coach someday. Rhule’s record of developing young coaches might help.
I feel like if we can roll Taylor Martinez and Adrian Martinez out as freshman we should be able to rollout the #1 qb in the country out as a freshman

There are 9 guys listed as seniors on the "scholarship" chart provided by this site, that can all be moved from football scholarship to NIL, no questions asked. Another 5 listed as juniors that transferred into Nebraska or that were previous walk ons that can also be put on NIL because they aren't protected by the 4 year scholarship rule.

The fact that none of us really know who is on scholarship and who is walking on and getting NIL money in lieu of scholarship. So it is quite impossible to even have the conversation about how many scholarships we are over or what conversations have been had between 1890 and certain players.

I expect to see attrition after the spring without a doubt. Also without a doubt there will be 1 or 2 surprises.
Did you ask those 9 seniors if they're going to be happy with that? A lot of those guys form the core of the team and we're lucky some of them even decided to come back. You think they're just going to be fine going without a scholarship no questions asked? Especially since 10 of those scholarships went to 5.5 3 stars and a few more to transfers.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Did you ask those 9 seniors if they're going to be happy with that? A lot of those guys form the core of the team and we're lucky some of them even decided to come back. You think they're just going to be fine going without a scholarship no questions asked? Especially since 10 of those scholarships went to 5.5 3 stars and a few more to transfers.
You’re assuming a lot and you have no idea what the discussions are. As usual.

It wasn't talked about publicly. Koch, Taylor and yes, the Vegas kid as well. So three, maybe four-- but I would like to hear it from a second source before I give out a name. In any event, it will be interesting to see what happens if these high priority walkons make it. Will they get a scholarship or just get more NIL, or both?
I believe there’s some older returning starters who will be on NIL deals and not on scholarship anymore. Why would they care as long as they get paid.

Reactions: BleedRed78
You’re assuming a lot and you have no idea what the discussions are. As usual.
Kind of the same as everyone else here? And I'm not the one effectively saying we need to get rid of a dozen-plus guys on the roster so we can continue recruiting, and yet noone can produce a realistic list naming who those guys should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT